Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Yup GS2 still the better phone:
    http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/htc-sensation-vs-iphone-4-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-942788

Looks like there shouldnt be much in the difference in price either given the sensation simfree price;
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/HTC-Sensation-Free-Mobile-Phone/dp/B004Z4SJ78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306512221&sr=8-1 -499GBP

and the GS2 being 509GBP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

engadget wrote:
    While it is indeed a dual-core speed demon like the Samsung Galaxy S II, HTC's latest doesn't exhibit quite the same level of UI responsiveness and is furthermore saddled with a signed bootloader that prevents users from improving things themselves. Our biggest issue is with Sense, whose fancy new graphics and improved lockscreen utility can't hide the fact that the core UX hasn't materially changed from the days of the Hero.

Glad I've gone for the SGS II to be honest. Sounds like the Sensation is somewhat less than sensational. As I've said before I think Sense is massively overhyped. I prefer a simple, clean design and speed over a pointlessly fancy UI and irritating flashing widgets.

As Cheryl Cole might say "you're not everyones cup of tea, but you're my cup of tea...with two sugars!"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I bought the HTC - got it delivered today, I've only had a few hours playing with it but overall I'm very happy. I kinda agree with the others as the S2 is probably a better phone but realistically they are both excellent. The S2 is probably slightly better for most people, but the HTC is still a fantastic piece of kit in fairness

The Samsung has more memory and way more storage - big pluses. Its thinner and lighter but the HTC has a better feel. I'm not familiar with Touchwiz but the new version of Sense on this really is fantastic. On my old desire I used ADW Launcher but I'm now sticking with Sense cause the widgets are brilliant. I really love the lock screen and a few other things that I reckon I'd really miss on the Samsung.

I had to buy mine sim free as I'm still under contract with 02, my thinking was that when I'm due an upgrade in 4 months I might just go get the S2 and that way I've at least had the opportunity to experience both - 02 are currently only releasing the S2.

I'll be interested to see the price of the S2. I think €479 including next day postage for the HTC is a great price.

All else regardless, I'm just really glad there are now two phones readily available that beat the Sh1t out of the iPhone!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭LostInDharma

Zascar wrote: »
    I

I had to buy mine sim free as I'm still under contract with 02, my thinking was that when I'm due an upgrade in 4 months I might just go get the S2 and that way I've at least had the opportunity to experience both - 02 are currently only releasing the S2.

I'll be interested to see the price of the S2. I think €479 including next day postage for the HTC is a great price.

All else regardless, I'm just really glad there are now two phones readily available that beat the Sh1t out of the iPhone!!!

Where you get it for that price ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Personally I am shocked that the s2 is a better phone than one released nearly a year ago, really I am ffs.

Does anyone who has this phone have anything to complain about, no matter how small?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lordfranto

Personally I am shocked that the s2 is a better phone than one released nearly a year ago, really I am ffs.

Does anyone who has this phone have anything to complain about, no matter how small?

Yes I have a few complaints, it doesn't make the tea and it don't make me more attractive to the opposite sex :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Has anyone updated the firmware yet using Kies?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Where you get it for that price ?

Vodafone.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

No search key
    No directional input (trackpad, trackball)
    No dedicated camera key
    Battery cover incredibly flimsy
    Plastic butt scratches easily
    Phone takes a second to wake from sleep
    Can't take out the microSD card without removing battery (can swap SIM though)
    Touch-detection regions for the capacitive buttons are too large (you can accidentally press back quite easily)

Baza210 wrote: »
    No search key
    No dedicated camera key
    Touch-detection regions for the capacitive buttons are too large (you can accidentally press back quite easily)

Pfffffffffft!

• Advertisement

The phone is not perfect, but I would agree with the general feeling that it is fairly handily the best phone out there at the minute.
    Most of my criticisms centre around the way Samsung choose to build the phone, rather than the plastics used. I would agree that the plastic butt could scratch too easily. I dont like the camera lens being so proud of the back of the phone such that the phone rests on it, a major design flaw. The battery cover is horrible to snap on and off, but feels sturdy when actually on the phone.
    No search key
    No directional input (trackpad, trackball)....

I thought this too, but if you hold down the Menu Key - it brings up the search function.
    I dont see the need for a track ball / pad as long as the screen is perfectly accurate and easy to make corrections on, which it is. To me a trackball on a touch screen device is an admission you have got it wrong somewhere.
    Mine wakes instantly, no lag or delay at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭rednoggin

[Does anyone who has this phone have anything to complain about, no matter how small?[/QUOTE]

One really small nitpick I have is that the volume keys are opposite the lock/shutdown button. When you're trying to turn the volume with one hand I nearly always hit the lock button. Small complaint i know but it goes to show its a great phone when this is the only fault i can find!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Did you have the GS1? if so surely you're gotten used to that.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

rednoggin wrote: »
    One really small nitpick I have is that the volume keys are opposite the lock/shutdown button.

Just goes to show, different strokes and all that! I like the placement of the lock button and volume buttons!

Another thing I woud say is that the range of accessories is limited. There are not many cases, etc available just yet.

That Samsung Kies is such a load of ****e tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭rednoggin

Did you have the GS1? if so surely you're gotten used to that.

No i had through HTC hero, big difference as great as through hero was!
    Anybody find that it took the battery a while to last. in the beginning mine only lasted 12 hours but now i get nearly two days with light use!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

bd250110 wrote: »
    Another thing I woud say is that the range of accessories is limited. There are not many cases, etc available just yet.

Is that not a bit unfair, for a phone that hasn't actually been officially released yet?

No search key
    No dedicated camera key

excellent, please add more as you find them out thanks.

you can add a google search that searches the phone shortcut to the home screen?

how long does it take to wake from sleep? and do you mean lockscreen sleep?

I thought this too, but if you hold down the Menu Key - it brings up the search function.

I am aware of this. For someone used to stock Android this is also incredibly annoying. Holding down menu on the majority of other Android phones shows/hides the keyboard. On the SGS2 instead you press Back, which makes little sense to me at all. Also an extra soft-key to bind a long-press function to is always useful. Eg on my Nexus One I have long-search set to launch the Camera.
    I dont see the need for a track ball / pad as long as the screen is perfectly accurate and easy to make corrections on, which it is. To me a trackball on a touch screen device is an admission you have got it wrong somewhere.

Terminal. Relevant to few, but relevant to me. The absence of a key which I can use to scroll back through entries in bash or which, when depressed, will act as a Control key, is a sore loss.
    you can add a google search that searches the phone shortcut to the home screen?
    See above
    how long does it take to wake from sleep? and do you mean lockscreen sleep?
    It takes about a second for the lockscreen to appear after pressing the power button. I believe this is a delay caused by returning from power-saving mode, and is said to be better optimized in more recent versions of the firmware (I haven't installed Kies or any of that crap yet).

• Advertisement

They stopped drag and drop - but i think i might just use a wireless sync app to sync data across because software like kies is always crap and I would have to install it in a virtualbox instance of windows too.

So no major complaints really? You could always root the phone and flash a nexus s rom/base 2.3 rom on it to get vanilla android, whereas I will be trying CM7 first after I play with touchwiz.

No major problems with it, no ... well except for the lack of hardware keyboard, but that's just me :P

One feature which I dont think Android has anything like is LockInfo on Jailbroken iPhones. It makes the lock screen incredibly useful, you can see all notifications, message previews, e-mail previews and calendar entries in one place - the lock screen, at a glance. One tap on the appropriate area and off you go into the App. A bit like Sense 3.0's launching ring, but actually useful rather than superfluous eye candy.
    Terminal. Relevant to few, but relevant to me. The absence of a key which I can use to scroll back through entries in bash or which, when depressed, will act as a Control key, is a sore loss.

As you say a small market there, but I see your point.
    For me simply taping on a text field -> keyboard makes sense, I dont want it there the rest of the time! I am used to using the back key to get rid of the keyboard when not wanted. It flows logically with the way Android soft keys work.

Only 4 more sleeps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭leemaree

Anyone know when the 32GB is being released ur is the cancelled now?

leemaree wrote: »
    Anyone know when the 32GB is being released ur is the cancelled now?

It's not in production yet, and won't go in anytime really Sion as demand for the 16gb is huge and they ain't stopping the production line to start making 32gbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

One feature which I dont think Android has anything like is LockInfo on Jailbroken iPhones. It makes the lock screen incredibly useful, you can see all notifications, message previews, e-mail previews and calendar entries in one place - the lock screen, at a glance. One tap on the appropriate area and off you go into the App. A bit like Sense 3.0's launching ring, but actually useful rather than superfluous eye candy.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.widgetlocker&feature=search_result

Just checked this out, looks cool and way more professional than intelliscreen, which is the cydia app that allows u customise your lock screen!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭paddypowder

Lordfranto wrote: »
    Only 3 more sleeps!

knowing my luck it will be the worst and most annoying thing in the history of communications

already im worried about the size of it...

• Advertisement

knowing my luck it will be the worst and most annoying thing in the history of communications

already im worried about the size of it...

Don't buy it then!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭paddypowder

Lordfranto wrote: »
    Don't buy it then!

but i want it brah
    im turning down an iphone to get this baby

but i want it brah
    im turning down an iphone to get this baby

Then man up and stop being a big girls blouse!

I really hope they have the phone on Wednesday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

Rumour has it that the NFC enabled SA+ version I9101 is due to be released in UK from June 2011

This is definitely not the SLCD version with Tegra dual-core processors (I9103).

Wonder if we should wait for I9101 to arrive in our shores, though NFC is not really a big deal for me right now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

• Advertisement

580 payg - ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

anyone know what the pricing on 3 will be, i hear they released pricing but i cant find it?

will meteor be releasing it on 1st june too??

anyone know what the pricing on 3 will be, i hear they released pricing but i cant find it?

will meteor be releasing it on 1st june too??

I posted it a few pages back just flick back along... its stupid pricing from three though.

On meteor we can only assume they will nobody knows for sure who what when or where.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

580 payg - ouch.

They quote 520 in the talk to o2 forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056279311

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I see a post on Meteor's FB page confirming they will have the GS2 in Stock this week... no mention of pricing though!

Just to go on a slight tangent here, which has the better network coverage ? Meteor or 3? (Their plans are roughly priced the same)

mullingar wrote: »
    Just to go on a slight tangent here, which has the better network coverage ? Meteor or 3? (Their plans are roughly priced the same)

3 probably have better coverage but Meteor offer better tarrifs in my opinion especially with the 12month contract which is a big bonus for me, also meteors handsets often come in cheaper then three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Im on O2 ATM and living in the midlands. I got a free Meteor SIM card a few months ago and threw a €5 into it. Seemed ok. I didn't try 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

mullingar wrote: »
    Im on O2 ATM and living in the midlands. I got a free Meteor SIM card a few months ago and threw a €5 into it. Seemed ok. I didn't try 3.

Where specifically in the midlands are you? :D

its fair hard to see the screen in the sun :pac:

Headshot wrote: »
    its fair hard to see the screen in the sun :pac:

Thats the case with all AMOLED Screens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

fionny wrote: »
    I posted it a few pages back just flick back along... its stupid pricing from three though.

On meteor we can only assume they will nobody knows for sure who what when or where.

Sorry couldnt find the pricing from your posts, care to post it again?

Mc Love wrote: »
    Sorry couldnt find the pricing from your posts, care to post it again?

Its there alright probably 10-15 pages back. I aint typing it out again sorry :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement