Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

fionny wrote: »
    Three's pricing seems a bit saucy I think:

Classic Flex €40pm - Handset 299 (18month) 149 (24month)
    Super Flex 60pm - 229 (18month) 99 (24month)
    Mega Flex 80pm - 142 (18month) 29 (24month)
    Ultimate Flex 95pm - 49 (18month) Free (24month)

Hopefully meteor will come in cheaper... three have historically been more expensive for handsets.

Here you go Mc Love; it was on page 31 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-i9100-Unlocked-Smartphone-Touchscreen/dp/B004QTBQ2C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306761219&sr=8-1

for 520? I know its from amazon, but does that mean this is a proper, new legit fully working phone?

hmm, she said 580 in the o2 forums and 520 on boards ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

If you buy it directly from amazon yes it will be a proper fully legit phone with no o2 or other networks bullcrap dumped on it, it will be unlocked to all networks anywhere and you will probably get better customer service from amazon then anyone else, they are brilliant to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Meteor launch party tomorrow night so it should definitly be out this week, heard a rumour of between 450/500 for prepay. Regardless of what network your on if its not sim free already you can unlock it for free via the app on the android market so buy it wherever you can the cheapest!

eireal wrote: »
    Meteor launch party tomorrow night so it should definitly be out this week, heard a rumour of between 450/500 for prepay. Regardless of what network your on if its not sim free already you can unlock it for free via the app on the android market so buy it wherever you can the cheapest!

That sounds right on track for a Wednesday release.... i just cant believe they wont release the pricing in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

That sounds right on track for a Wednesday release.... i just cant believe they wont release the pricing in advance!

Just to clear something up for me. Are you saying that the SGS2 will be available to buy on the meteor website on wed/thur?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Here you go Mc Love; it was on page 31 ;)

Thanks Rsaeire, prices are a bit steep compared to the HTC Sensation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Mc Love wrote: »
    Thanks Rsaeire, prices are a bit steep compared to the HTC Sensation!

No problem. It's what you pay for having the best I suppose!

I'm holding out to see what Meteor's pricing is and whether or not they'll be offering 12 month contracts. I'm really hoping the handset's €200 or less on a €50 price plan with a 12 month contract; we can always hope.

I just went into the Carphonewarehouse on patrick street in Cork, they physically have the handsets in stock but are not allowed to sell until Wednesday... said network pricing not out yet but should be tomorrow apparently.

Got to hold the phone (switched off) felt really nice in the hand... deffo sold on it roll on wednesday!

• Advertisement

Does the app in the market fully unlock any phone? Thats handy.

Hope it comes in under 500 on payg, as I dont mind branding just dont like the lock ins which apparently can be freely broken easily with an app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

According to posts on xda it does, I wouldnt mind branding as you can just flash a generic firmware to the phone to remove that so its win-win

Well Meteor just use Simfree phone's anyway as do o2 apparently, Three he said sometime insist on branded & locked handsets....

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Which App unlocks the phone?

Three have the best data for payg, so if they come in cheapest I wouldnt mind going with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

is there away to change the lock screen and how to answer a call

that sliding thing is an annoyance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Had a go with one of these the weekend , smashing phone it is .

Headshot wrote: »
    is there away to change the lock screen and how to answer a call

that sliding thing is an annoyance

Custom Rom's etc.. yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Is this phone seriously out tomorrow with absolutely no mention of it on the carriers websites? (Apart from coming soon on Vodafone)

draffodx wrote: »
    Is this phone seriously out tomorrow with absolutely no mention of it on the carriers websites? (Apart from coming soon on Vodafone)

Again I refer to the fact that when has ANY phone with the one exception of the iphone been advertised by Irish networks before release date... they dont want to slow sales of their existing handsets...

In fact I see carphonewarehouse desperatley trying to push stock of the Galaxy S out the door :P

However it IS out tomorrow and as I said earlier the Carfonewarehouse in cork Physically had the stock yesterday but were not allowed to sell it until tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Three updated their twitter saying they have it tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Just confirmed its out on 3 tomorrow on the samsung fb. Would like Meteor to confirm somewhere its out tomorrow..

Free on 3 with 40 euro plan with all you can eat data!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

24 month contract or 18?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Big drop from the €299/€149 quoted earlier in this thread..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

that is a cracking deal if that turns out to be right.

it doesnt say how long contract is but they have announced it on their FB and twitter pages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

CPW prices for GS2 on Meteor (18 month contracts unless otherwise indicated) as follows -

BPSmart 35 - FTC/MIG : 279.99 Port/UPG : 249.99 (12 month contract!)
    BPSmart 30 - FTC/MIG : 279.99 Port/UPG : 249.99
    BPSmart 50 - FTC/MIG : 229.99 Port/UPG : 199.99
    BPSmart Unl - FTC/MIG : 179.99 Port/UPG : 149.99

Very pricey, considering these are 18 month contracts! :eek:

CPW prices for O2 as follows (18 month contracts only)

AD 250 - 199
    AD 350 - 169
    AD 550 - 129
    AD 700 - Free

There are likely to be only limited number of handsets available tomorrow (10-15 per store) at CPW. Pre-Pay tariffs and sales apparently delayed for 2 more weeks at CPW.

Disclaimer: Information above reproduced from print-out obtained from CPW store, check personally with CPW directly to confirm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Again I refer to the fact that when has ANY phone with the one exception of the iphone been advertised by Irish networks before release date... they dont want to slow sales of their existing handsets...

In fact I see carphonewarehouse desperatley trying to push stock of the Galaxy S out the door :P

However it IS out tomorrow and as I said earlier the Carfonewarehouse in cork Physically had the stock yesterday but were not allowed to sell it until tomorrow.

The Nexus S was advertised 2 months in advance by Vodafone.

The Nexus S was advertised 2 months in advance by Vodafone.

Thats because they had intial exclusivity.

• Advertisement

reb73 wrote: »
    CPW prices for GS2 on Meteor (18 month contracts only) as follows -

BPSmart 35 - FTC/MIG : 279.99 Port/UPG : 249.99

Thats not that bad, considering three's "Free" pricing will rely on you taking out a 24month contract which is a joke.

Meteor offer at 12month contract on their lower tarriff for a small bit extra a month which is what i stuck with:

http://www.meteor.ie/plans/bill_pay/smart/#plans-tab

See the BPSmart 35euro is a 12 month contract... the bpsmart30 is the 18month version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

CPW prices for GS2 on Meteor (18 month contracts only) as follows -

BPSmart 35 - FTC/MIG : 279.99 Port/UPG : 249.99

Those Meteor prices are a bit higher than i had hoped, I got the GS1 last year for €149 on the €35 12month contract. Three's offer of a free phone could the winner.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

anyone will have it on pay as you go?not interested in a contract, just want the handset.

Those Meteor prices are a bit higher than i had hoped, I got the GS1 last year for €149 on the €35 12month contract. Three's offer of a free phone could the winner.

Id be 99.9% sure thats on a 24 month contract the same as their iphone 4 offer... I think personally 24 month is madness... if it breaks in that time your up s**t creek without a paddle... besides most of us will be wanting the next big thing time around this time next year!

Id be 99.9% sure thats on a 24 month contract the same as their iphone 4 offer... I think personally 24 month is madness... if it breaks in that time your up s**t creek without a paddle... besides most of us will be wanting the next big thing time around this time next year!

The two deals are very close over the run, Meteors works out at €910 over 18 months (€50 pm including price of phone) and three will be €960 over 24 months. only an extra €50 for 6 more months of service, but yeah that's an extra 6 months stuck before being able to change.

I'm waiting to see what the payg prices are, that could make most sense for me as i'm a low voice/text user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

The two deals are very close over the run, Meteors works out at €910 over 18 months (€50 pm including price of phone) and three will be €960 over 24 months. only an extra €50 for 6 more months of service, but yeah that's an extra 6 months stuck before being able to change.

I'm waiting to see what the payg prices are, that could make most sense for me as i'm a low voice/text user.

Meteor's BPSmart35 is a 12 month contract (as Fionny indicated)
    250 + (35x12=420) = 670, not too bad as it includes 200 mins + 200 texts + 1 GB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Meteor's BPSmart35 is a 12 month contract (as Fionny indicated)
    250 + (35x12=420) = 670, not too bad as it includes 200 mins + 200 texts + 1 GB!

red73's post says 18 month only

nm wrote: »
    red73's post says 18 month only

Red's post is wrong, why would they offer the phone for the same price on 2 tarrifs one for less money then the other... i dont think anyone is that stupid... besides it matches with their page:

http://www.meteor.ie/plans/bill_pay/smart/#plans-tab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Oh yea, I see your point. You are making assumptions now though.

I suppose all will be revealed shortly.

• Advertisement

nm wrote: »
    Oh yea, I see your point. You are making assumptions now though.

I suppose all will be revealed shortly.

Ill pickup the new CPW brouchure on my lunch and provide a scan of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Got my GS1 for €99 in carphone warehouse last year on a €35 12month meteor contract. Definitely pricey in that context, but I think Samsung have made their name with the GS1 so perhaps they are cashing in.

My contract isn't up until August 2nd anyway so I'll decide what to do then.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

just rang a few stores a minute ago, most meteor stores just said it was out this week, nobody said tomorrow. they also had no pricing details but said that it would definately be available on 12 month contracts.

a guy in the carphone warehouse in ashleaf centre in dublin said it wasnt out until july, think ill stay with the meteor stores, they seem to know more.

does anyone know which is better for returns if the phone is faulty? years ago i had problems returning a phone to a meteor store when it broke on me after a couple of weeks

just rang a few stores a minute ago, most meteor stores just said it was out this week, nobody said tomorrow. they also had no pricing details but said that it would definately be available on 12 month contracts.

a guy in the carphone warehouse in ashleaf centre in dublin said it wasnt out until july, think ill stay with the meteor stores, they seem to know more.

does anyone know which is better for returns if the phone is faulty? years ago i had problems returning a phone to a meteor store when it broke on me after a couple of weeks

It IS out tomorrow for definite.

For returns I have heard of alot of horror stories with CPW so by default I would say Meteor shop directly.

I guess we have to wait and see what meteor's pricing is going to be. hoefully you're right fionny that the prices listed are for 12 month contracts.

yeah i expect to be buying it tomorrow, for some reason they dont seem to like putting an exact day on releases, i remember the same thing when i got the desire last year.

thanks, think ill stick with the meteor shops, ill be getting phone insurance anyway so if any problems happen, ill have that to fall back on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

got a call from meteor yesterday telling me im able to upgrade im only about 10 months into my 18 month contract though...

they were offering me an iphone but i told them that i am waiting for the galaxy II she told me they have no release but she put my name on a list and said i would be called the minute they get information

They are gas how they play dumb or how they totally disconnect departments on the forefront from informaiton!

@Ninja only the 35 euro tarrif is the 12month all the others are 18month options only, not sure if they allow you pay more for the 12month on those ones or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭quinta

Spoke to a rep in the Vodafone store on Henry street a few days ago. They are getting delivery of them today and selling them tomorrow, first come first served. However he said there is very limited stock with most shops only getting 2 or 3 handsets.

ive a desire and have been due an upgrade for a few weeks now, meteor rang me last week offering me the desire s, what a ridiculous question... i too told them i was waiting on the galaxy s2 and the rep said they knew nothing about it, but that they'd put me on a list and ring me as soon as it was available, somehow i dont think ill be getting a call from them!!!!

Burgo wrote: »
    24 month contract or 18?

24 month contract

• Advertisement
Advertisement