Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭No_Deal

Ok lads has anyone purchase the phone via CPW on Vodafone?

Just went into their branch on Patrick St. Cork and they said they don't have it on Vodafone yet - not sold out but just not yet in stock. Couldn't give me a date either for when they will be getting them in.

Why have pricing on display instore then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭No_Deal

iPwnage wrote: »
    does 3 have the tegra 2 S2's or the Exynos 4210 S2's ??

Sorry for my ignorance but what are the differences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

This cover is on the way to me
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Case-Mate-Tough-Cases-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B004WWVWL8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1306939733&sr=8-2

If its anything like the s version it will be a great case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

i wont be buying this still around this time tomorrow, will be pissed if its out of stock by then.

what would the warranty be like on this (payg voda) 1 year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭leemaree

Yeah but if i tell them I want to buy this phone, i'm going to have to sign up to one of there plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

leemaree wrote: »
    Yeah but if i tell them I want to buy this phone, i'm going to have to sign up to one of there plans?
    There's no plans for prepay, just say you want a new number, then swap the SIM

Apparently, Meteor offer the Galaxy S 2 as an upgrade.
    Has anyone here upgraded a phone with Meteor before (at end of contract) and is the price significantly reduced or does it all depend on which plan you take up?

I still have a HTC Hero (18 month contract) and I'm looking forward to a new phone but undecided regarding their bill pay plans, which to sign up for (will probably go for 12 month).

This is going to be a whopper change from a g1 running 2.2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

The more I read this thread the closer I get to buying one!

One query though, somewhat off topic too so apologies, but out of 3 or o2, which would be better for coverage? (Data/voice, using it mainly in and around Dublin)

U sure this will work with my 02 Sim? If that the case, I can buy it online as it's €10 cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Has anyone here upgraded a phone with Meteor before (at end of contract) and is the price significantly reduced or does it all depend on which plan you take up?

I still have a HTC Hero (18 month contract) and I'm looking forward to a new phone but undecided regarding their bill pay plans, which to sign up for (will probably go for 12 month).

You will just get it at the same price as someone moving their connection to meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 smcnena

Headshot wrote: »
    This cover is on the way to me
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Case-Mate-Tough-Cases-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B004WWVWL8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1306939733&sr=8-2

If its anything like the s version it will be a great case

Yep, need to get a cover and screen protector. Will take a look at this, thanks.

The Vlingo Voice recognition in the phone is bloody brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

what other stuff do you need to bring with you to sign up for a bill pay contract with three? proof of address, bank statement and the likes

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭paddypowder

mine is on charge now...
    amazing how light it is.. and not as cheap feeling as expected

robz18 wrote: »
    what other stuff do you need to bring with you to sign up for a bill pay contract with three? proof of address, bank statement and the likes

From the site

What details do I need to provide so that I can buy a mobile on a contract?

Whether you buy online or on the phone, we will need some personal details, occupation details, current address and delivery address details.

You will also have to set up a direct debit instruction for your monthly bill and you will need your bank account number and bank sort code to do this. We will also need to take payment for any upfront costs (your mobile). You can use your credit or debit card for this.

Once you have placed your order and had it confirmed, we will perform a credit check.

Just and FYI on Three, they are being very strict it seems with new contracts... The sales guy in CPW had warned a friend of this, sure enough my friend went in today to take the phone on the 18month deal and got declined... he had been out of the country for the last 3 years.... stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

You save €30 on Contract Upgrade / Porting from other network compared to New Connections / Migration from PayG across all Meteor plan tariffs. Not that it makes much sense as new connections / PayG customers can port to another network and port back to Meteor to get the lower rate..

Funnily enough the Bill Pay Smart lite plans (30 day rolling contract) qualify as an upgrade (which I was hoping for and got) instead of migration.

Ill ask this question again.

Any one have any bad things to say about the phone? How is battery holding up for people who have has it a week or so? (or longer)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

Ill ask this question again.

Any one have any bad things to say about the phone? How is battery holding up for people who have has it a week or so? (or longer)

I got the handset this morning and have it on from 09:45 onwards. Haven't started charging the battery yet (it was on 78% out of the box) and after 7 hours 45 mins its on 37% now.

I've roughly used the display around 1-2 hours, with Wifi, 3G, GPS, Auto-Rotation, auto-brightness all on, but haven't had been on videos, flash heavy browsing etc.

Battery life looks to be definitely better than the predecessor (GS1) and once I remove some of the stock applications that I don't need/use, I'm expecting the battery to last between 1.5 - 2 days on average.

No-one reply to my question yet ;

U sure this will work with my 02 Sim? If that the case, I can buy it online as it's €10 cheaper

Cool thanks.

So that seems to be inline with the full day on high-ish usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackwigan

When buying online with vodafone, what exactly is the difference between Pay as you go New Connections for €470 & Pay as you go Switch Network for €450?...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭t.henno66

jackwigan wrote: »
    When buying online with vodafone, what exactly is the difference between Pay as you go New Connections for €470 & Pay as you go Switch Network for €450?...

I'd imagine new connections would be a new number and switch network would be keep your original number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

jackwigan wrote: »

€20.

...bonus for porting your number and switch networks.

• Advertisement

leemaree wrote: »
    No-one reply to my question yet ;

It's a leap of faith, so far they all appear to be unlocked and you'd be very unlucky to buy one that wasn't....

I think you might also get another €12.50 rebate through fatcheese.ie. Worth a look.

...oh, and the S1 was ridiculously easy to unlock, with an app (one of many) on the market.

You could check if the S2 is the same, before you pull the trigger.

I just want to make sure....so If I buy as a new connection from vodafone, or a Pay as you go Switch Network, but keep my 02 number, can I use my 02 sim card? I want to do this but what if I put my 02 sim card in, I'm screwed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Do any of the O2 shops in Dublin have it in stock?

Yeah. Give somebody else the Vodafone SIM and use your existing O2 one.

Unlock -

http://samsunggalaxys2review.org/samsung-galaxy-s2-sim-unlock-app-guide

(sorry, this seems to be with root access only)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Is anyone suffering from a yellow hue on the left of the screen?

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/921534/samsung_galaxy_s2_woe_as_screen_defect_persists.html

Not sure if that's just scaremongering, or a real issue. Wanna make my mind up soon!

Still cannot decide on either 3 or o2...

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

No yellow hue here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

€450 prepay on vodafone has me tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 User name eh?

Hey, Got my phone from vodafone today. No branding at start up but kies won't let me update to the latest version because it's a vodafone branded one. I guess from reading the different forums that this is common place.Only option available is to use odion and update to KE7 which offers more speed and better batter life.Anyone done this yet?
    Pissed off that it's branded but I'll change that soon enough. Just wondering if any of you have done it yet.I could be waiting a year for vodafone to update

I have one on the way from 3 , dispatched today. Anybody else get one from 3? If so, does it have any of the branded 3 crap on it?

I ll report back when I get it on battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

Anyone having problems getting the social hub to login/sync with Facebook and twitter ?

Wondering if it is just server issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Grudle wrote: »
    Anyone having problems getting the social hub to login/sync with Facebook and twitter ?

Me too. No biggie at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Hey, Got my phone from vodafone today. No branding at start up but kies won't let me update to the latest version because it's a vodafone branded one. I guess from reading the different forums that this is common place.Only option available is to use odion and update to KE7 which offers more speed and better batter life.Anyone done this yet?
    Pissed off that it's branded but I'll change that soon enough. Just wondering if any of you have done it yet.I could be waiting a year for vodafone to update

Let me know how to do this! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

smcnena wrote: »
    I have one on the way from 3 , dispatched today. Anybody else get one from 3? If so, does it have any of the branded 3 crap on it?

I ll report back when I get it on battery life.

Got mine dispatched from 3 today aswell..id say theres a good chance this will have the splash screen on it. Every other phone ive had from 3 were the same..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

yep, facebook on social hub has not worked for me all day.

Grudle wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

It does, splash screen on startup, but to be honest it's only displayed for a couple of seconds. Also has a couple of Three bookmarks, but other than that it doesn't feel particularly branded to me.

One thing that is annoying is that Three have sent it out with KE2 firmware running on it, KE7 is now the latest with some battery life and speed improvements..

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Got mine dispatched from 3 today aswell..id say theres a good chance this will have the splash screen on it. Every other phone ive had from 3 were the same..

bennyx_o wrote: »
    The more I read this thread the closer I get to buying one!

One query though, somewhat off topic too so apologies, but out of 3 or o2, which would be better for coverage? (Data/voice, using it mainly in and around Dublin)

Tried to get it on 3 earlier and was asked for a €150 deposit, so I'll see how much it is on o2 with an 18 month contract before I commit to anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just to confirm again my story of this morning, got a few PM's from lads calling me a lying bugger, and I remember this happend when I got the Desire last year and I'd to post a receipt to prove it

Went into Carphone Warehouse in Pavillions Swords at 9am on the button. Manager had to ring head office as pricing wasnt on her system.
    Said it was €619 best price simfree. But they couldnt sell them simfree only selling to billpay customers.

Strolled into Vodafone pretty much resounded to getting a HTC Sensation. Asked the bloke on the till who said it was the same price as the hTC Sensation. Both €479.

Had a fondle with both and went with Samsung Galaxy S 2.

He took the phone out for me and tried my sim and all was well and unlocked. Said even if it wasnt it takes obly a day or two to get unlocked free of charge by themselves.

The phone has some Vodafone apps, but nothing that is too annoying, its like 4 Vodafone 360 apps, the homescreens etc I can do what I want with, and the bootup screen has no sign of vodafone.

After a days use already I can tell it was a great buy, super fast, lightweight, large screen and a beautiful screen. I cant get over the camera, had a stroll in Malahide castle with herself and got some lovely shots and they look incredible.

So yeah €479 which alot of people confirm here, but Carphone warehouse were in at €600 according to herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Tried to get it on 3 earlier and was asked for a €150 deposit, so I'll see how much it is on o2 with an 18 month contract before I commit to anything

I went into a 3 shop and was told the same thing, then i decided to try online and hey presto no deposit required!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭WebGeek

had a look at one last week - made a real impression on me, but I just can't get over the cheap plastic back. Probably the reason I'd take the desire HD instead - built to last.

wingnut32 wrote: »
    I went into a 3 shop and was told the same thing, then i decided to try online and hey presto no deposit required!

Never thought to try online, probably because I'm so impatient! Will try and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

.......whats payg? iv never heard of it before :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

xaoifsx wrote: »

Pay As You Go

xaoifsx wrote: »

Pay As You Go.

• Advertisement