Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Any ideas or info when 2.3.4 will be released for it?

Kinda swetting for video chat.....

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Can anyone explain this whole deal about paying a deposit if getting the phone with Three. I am thinking of moving to them but I am not going to give them any deposit for 6 months!

What is the story with that?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I ordered it today on 3 over the phone (as there wasn't an option to port my 3pay number on the site).

I went for the 18 month contract, phone for 169EUR.

Still have to wait for a credit check apparently. Damned if I'll pay additional 150EUR though!

I'd expect they'll still ask for bills, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

nellocono wrote: »
    Can anyone explain this whole deal about paying a deposit if getting the phone with Three. I am thinking of moving to them but I am not going to give them any deposit for 6 months!

You'll be credit scored and that'll indicate first whether they'll even accept your application and then if so, whether a deposit is required or not. Acceptance, deposit requirements and the deposit amount depend entirely on what the credit scoring process returns for your application. Completely varies from person to person.

You get the deposit back after six months, either via a refund or a credit on your bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

If i buy this on prepay vodafone tonight,would i get it friday morning?

Itll be a sim switching pack,to get the 450.

Also, i have a one4all voucher for 50. Can i use that online and pay the balance with my credit card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

i'll pop into shop tomorrow and take a look...they can go bite me if they look for a deposit tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

oh...................thanks :o:o:o:o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lads this phone is just unreal, iv had it for a few days now and im delighted with it. The big plus is the battery. Of course it annoys me in a few places but I think with another update they'll sort the problems

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

i think meteor bill pay is best...but i don't want to switch from o2 though..

you know the 700mb 9.99 deal that o2 do?? is that worth using? i might buy phone with prepay o2 and use that..because internet is the main reason for me as i use it a lot. for facebook,this,email etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Can anyone confirm that the USB host function is working, with a 500+ gig drive for example, and is there a video/HDMI output cable option?

Cheers. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Can anyone confirm that the USB host function is working with a 500+ gig drive for example
    USB host only works for low-power devices, so if you connecting an external harddrive to it it would have to be of the desktop variety with its own power supply. You'll need one of these http://www.dealextreme.com/p/50774
    and is there a video/HDMI output cable option?

Cheers. ;)

Yep, but they're pretty hard to find...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

i ordered this from the website, and filled up all bits and pieces, however, it says my billing address (though it never asked me for it) is the same as my delivery address.

now, my billing address is actually different. will this make a difference in terms of being successfully processed? anybody any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

ok so i am upgrading to this tomorrow in carphone warehouse

i am only 10 months into an 18 month contract but they rang me offering upgrade the other day.

i am on the unlimited plan with meteor however i would like to lower to the 50 a month will i get the free talk and text if i do this ?

on that plan the phone is 240 but if i trade in my galaxy s i will get 150 for it so the phone will only cost me 90

this seems good right ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭tonto2010

Craigels wrote: »
    ok so i am upgrading to this tomorrow in carphone warehouse

i am only 10 months into an 18 month contract but they rang me offering upgrade the other day.

i am on the unlimited plan with meteor however i would like to lower to the 50 a month will i get the free talk and text if i do this ?

on that plan the phone is 240 but if i trade in my galaxy s i will get 150 for it so the phone will only cost me 90

this seems good right ?

Seems pretty good, you could try and sell it on adverts but it can be hassle. I got 220 for mine 3 weeks ago, so only really payed €29 euro for the upgrade.

The phone is unreal by the way, the extra real estate really makes the difference. Feels like a whole new experience, this is hands down the best phone on the market in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Baza210 wrote: »
    USB host only works for low-power devices, so if you connecting an external harddrive to it it would have to be of the desktop variety with its own power supply. You'll need one of these http://www.dealextreme.com/p/50774

Yep, but they're pretty hard to find...

Thanks. I think a SGS2 may be able to completely replace my netbook... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Anyone tried to get one in a Meteor store yet? I'll probably be able to get to Grafton St at lunch but don't hold out much hope given the stock the other shops seem to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Thanks. I think a SGS2 may be able to completely replace my netbook... :D

Of course, you can only connect one USB device at a time unless you have a powered hub or something... and HDMI is out over the USB port too, so you can't use peripherals and an external monitor at the same AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

So has anyone root this baby yet? Would like to go "native" and get CM7 on it and am thinking about taking the plunge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

I had to pay this too....and I know for a fact there is nothing wrong with my credit score. Basically the guy in the shop himself told me it is a load of BS. Basically pretty much everyone get's hit with the deposit on the high value phones. The only people that dont are the people with a long standing contract history with three - or people that have been with another operator on contract for a number of years that then port across. Suppose it's three's way of cutting their losses if people decide to not pay their monthly payments - and after 6 months you get it refunded..

nellocono wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

leemaree wrote: »
    I just want to make sure....so If I buy as a new connection from vodafone, or a Pay as you go Switch Network, but keep my 02 number, can I use my 02 sim card? I want to do this but what if I put my 02 sim card in, I'm screwed
    Switch means you're switching to Vodafone's network, buy it as a "new connection", then swap the Voda SIM card for your O2 one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭No_Deal

ok ordered this off vodafone site this morning at 8.40.

just got an email off them 10 minutes ago saying the order had been cancelled.

"We are unable to process your order at this time due to order criteria limitations. All charges have been refunded to your credit card. If you would like to speak with one of our Customer Care Agents please call 1850 20 87 87."

Huh?

Buying it PAYG and porting my 3 sim card.

Confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭No_Deal

No_Deal wrote: »
    ok ordered this off vodafone site this morning at 8.40.

just got an email off them 10 minutes ago saying the order had been cancelled.

"We are unable to process your order at this time due to order criteria limitations. All charges have been refunded to your credit card. If you would like to speak with one of our Customer Care Agents please call 1850 20 87 87."

Huh?

Buying it PAYG and porting my 3 sim card.

Confused.

Finally got through to Vodafone Customer Care there and apparently its just an issue with my credit card.

I need to bring in the card to my local store and they will scan it and fax it off - just a security check.

Why they couldn't have said that in the email above is beyond me.

Once the card is scanned etc. my order should then be processed.

Anybody else experience this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Mini Personal Galaxy S2 Review:

First Impression's:

This phone is LIGHT! I mean its one of the lightest phones i've used in ages it achieves this without feeling cheap.

The Battery cover is a bit icky peeling it off and putting it back on but then how often are you going to be pulling it off... once its in place its fine. The phone feels comfortable in the hand and having the unlock button on the side makes sense given the size of it... You can also wake the phone with the home button.

In the box the phone actually comes with a charger AND a usb cable, so no double up here which as small as it may seem to some was a very pleasant surprise. You also get the usual headphones and a couple of spare ear bud covers.

Power Up:

The phone came with a reasonable charge so in my excitment i used it straight away, from hitting the power key to the PIN code screen took around 20seconds which is considerably faster then my previous phone (Desire).

The screen is vivid and rich looking and the 4.3" size does it justice.

Touchwiz 4 is pretty close to Stock Android and as a result I like it alot its more customisable then stock android and has a few nice little tweaks also. Thus far my only gripes with Touchwiz are:

-Dock can only hold 4 icons (Im used to 5 from using CM7)
    -No auto sort (but you can drag and drop) in the applications window, all other builds I have used have always sorted A-Z but not allowed things to be moved about...
    -The main home screen is in position 1 rather then in the middle, I do prefer the latter, but then a custom launcher (no need to root) will solve this.

The interface is FAST, no lags in transition and app's are snappy on launch.

Other Bits:

Battery seems much better then my Desire which is surprising considering the leap in power and screen real estate.

My version has remote management tools built in like the "sense" service meaning if I lose it or its stolen I can track the phone remotely, lock the phone, make it ring (ignoring silent mode), or totally wipe the unit, you can also download the call logs from the phone. This also has a sweet little feature that notifies a seperate number if someone swops out the sim at any time.

Vlingo voice is **** hot, actually better then google's own one which was impressive in itself!

Kies Air is a great idea... basically while on a wifi network you can enable this which provides you with the phones IP address... you type this into a PC's browser and you can interface with the phone, including send messages and also uploading / downloading music... very good idea!

Thats enough for the moment but overall im very happy with my purchase! Much better the Sense interface due to no lags or inconsistency in interface with the phone because touchwiz is truer to stock android.

I will update as my time with the phone progresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭BeardyFunzo

Lordfranto wrote: »
    Cool so in 6 weeks or so u ll have a snazy new gs2

It's right in front of me now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 absolute_steve

Ordered off 3 online on 1st June - arrived this monring (2nd) at 11.00 am.

Now just waiting for my number too switch over.

Soo far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

None in meteor Grafton st, they hadn't got the first delivery yet as of lunchtime. Carphone warehouse sold out too on Grafton

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

elderlemon wrote: »
    So has anyone root this baby yet? Would like to go "native" and get CM7 on it and am thinking about taking the plunge.

CM7 isn't available for Galaxy S II yet.

Just got one from the Meteor store on Patrick St, Cork. The guy in the store said they had gotten in 7, and either 4 or 5 of those are on hold. So zero or one left there.

I think he said it would be the end of the month before more come in, I mightn't have heard that right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Got mine delivered this morning I cant wait to get home and test this bad boy out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

ordered mine as an upgrade on the phone from meteor, they even gave me the online discount and let me keep my free meteor calls and texts, very impressed with their customer service, have to give them credit

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

Just ordered mine online with Vodafone. 469.99 with 12.50 cashback from fatcheese. Gonna stick my Meteor SIM in it

Any suggestions for how to show the exact % of battery remaining?

Either written in the status bar or a little widget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

seanp_25 wrote: »
    Any suggestions for how to show the exact % of battery remaining?

Either written in the status bar or a little widget?

'Circle Battery' widget.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 smcnena

Just got my phone from 3, ordered the day before yesterday:D

Initial impressions are great, phone is so light but feels good in the hand.
    It's definitely a winner :)

Haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet but will post back when I get a better look at over the coming days.

Is it possible to edit the four icons at the bottom of the screen (Phone, Contacts, Messaging, Applications)?

I want to replace Messaging with a shortcut to ChompSMS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

All vodafones besides dundrum and blanch were sold out today when i went looking in grafton st, jervis centre and surrounding it and on the way to lower abbey st and none in carphone warehouse or either vodafones in swords either.

Three, 02 and carphone warehouse had them all for at least 40 euro more than vodafone, teasing the **** out of me.

More stock coming in tomorrow, hope when i go down they still have some on payg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

smcnena wrote: »
    Just got my phone from 3, ordered the day before yesterday:D

Initial impressions are great, phone is so light but feels good in the hand.
    It's definitely a winner :)

Haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet but will post back when I get a better look at over the coming days.
    Waiting on mine arriving from 3. Could be up to 4 working days though!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭redlik

Hi folks,
    I've got SG2 form 3 this morning. It's branded with 3 splash screen and some apps but no simlock. It came with KE5 firmware. Anyone know how to update to KE7. KIES says "this device can't be updated" when I pluged it in :-((((
    Apart from that phone just screams! I've switched from Desire and custom roms and the speed difference is shocking.
    Although I miss full screen widgets from Sense.
    O yes, Dungeon Defenders doesn't work, goes through the few splash screens and black screen after that (I was running legitimate copy I bought).

Who cares about the Iphone anymore?!

R.

Don't know about kies - haven't installed it yet. If you really miss the widgets in sense try launcherpro (in the market). Has calendar, people, twitter, fb, gmail and bookmarks. Really good.

redlik wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I've got SG2 form 3 this morning. It's branded with 3 splash screen and some apps but no simlock. It came with KE5 firmware. Anyone know how to update to KE7. KIES says "this device can't be updated" when I pluged it in :-((((
    Apart from that phone just screams! I've switched from Desire and custom roms and the speed difference is shocking.
    Although I miss full screen widgets from Sense.
    O yes, Dungeon Defenders doesn't work, goes through the few splash screens and black screen after that (I was running legitimate copy I bought).

Who cares about the Iphone anymore?!

R.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭redlik

Hi elderlemon
    Yes, I know about the launcher, but you're loosing Touchwiz if you switch to launcher.
    I found a way to install KE7, I'll let you know how it went on.
    R.

• Advertisement

You loose some bits of touchwiz but for me it was worth it.

KE7 - let me know how you did it. Would like to update mine too.
    redlik wrote: »
    Hi elderlemon
    Yes, I know about the launcher, but you're loosing Touchwiz if you switch to launcher.
    I found a way to install KE7, I'll let you know how it went on.
    R.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

elderlemon wrote: »
    You loose some bits of touchwiz but for me it was worth it.

KE7 - let me know how you did it. Would like to update mine too.

Me too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

If I buy online (Meteor) should I select move your number to meteor option to switch my meteor payg number to a bill number? Really want to buy one but wont get to a shop until Sat week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭leemaree

I just went to Vodaphone shop in Dun Laoghaire and Bray and explain how some people on here went in other vodafone stores (unlocked) and put whatever sim they put in it but they said no. How did u's do it?

leemaree wrote: »
    I just went to Vodaphone shop in Dun Laoghaire and Bray and explain how some people on here went in other vodafone stores (unlocked) and put whatever sim they put in it but they said no. How did u's do it?

Are you serious?

Yes, I can't understand how people ur going into vodafone shops and put in any sim they want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

It was explained about 10 times already! Think about why Vodafone would not want you putting another providers sim in their cheaper phone...

I know it was explained but if i do buy it off Vodafone, and if it dosent work, what then? If I do buy one, what option will I go with, new connection?

I think you should buy an iPhone. ;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Me too.

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Me too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement