Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

Anybody Root theirs yet?

Any problems? Was thinking about it, but kinda scared! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

leemaree wrote: »
    I know it was explained but if i do buy it off Vodafone, and if it dosent work, what then? If I do buy one, what option will I go with, new connection?
    Do NOT ask them if it's unlocked, they will obviously say no, cos they want you on their network. Buy it in Vodafone, new connection, leave the shop, put your sim in. Done.

If it's not unlocked, there's a free app on the Market anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭leemaree

Ok cool thanks, but if its locked u will have to root it and i don't want to do that. Question ; how did everybody find out about being unlocked?

Ok cool thanks, but if its locked u will have to root it and i don't want to do that. Question ; how did everybody find out about being unlocked?
    Then go to a shop and pay a tenner for it to be unlocked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭leemaree

There is a little stall in Dun Laoghaire, I asked him and he charging €35. Do u know anywhere cheaper, possibly on the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 smcnena

FYI
    The phones from 3 are locked to their network.

There is a little stall in Dun Laoghaire, I asked him and he charging €35. Do u know anywhere cheaper, possibly on the internet?
    Yes there is, but think about that after you buy the phone, which, as stated by several people earlier, is unlocked when bought in Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭redlik

I want to confirm, again. SG2 from 3 is simlock free. I'm running my o2 sim inside.

R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

smcnena wrote: »
    FYI
    The phones from 3 are locked to their network.
    redlik wrote: »
    I want to confirm, again. SG2 from 3 is simlock free. I'm running my o2 sim inside.

R.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Just updated to the latest KE7 using this link http://goo.gl/P4KTK.
    Fairly straightforward. Gets rid of the Three branding and rooted the phone too. You can also re-flash the official kernal to get rid of the warning at boot. Happy days.
    Only got it yesterday and promised myself I wouldn't tinker but the devil makes work for idle hands.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

draffodx wrote: »
    Can you not scan them and email them? I was hoping to do that!

Just recieved the contract by email & it says you may scan the paperwork back to them.

Ive just spent the last 15 mins trying to ring someone in meteor to ask about a section on the contract. Do you think I can speak to anyone, not a hope:mad:

You guys might be able to answer it for me though.
    At the end of the contract, I must sign and date it. Thats fine, but under that it says '' position in company '' and it looks for a signature.

Do I leave this blank? Do I sign it? I dont even know what it means:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Thanks for that. Which firmware did you flash btw?

thank
    clacks wrote: »
    Fairly straightforward. Gets rid of the Three branding and rooted the phone too. You can also re-flash the official kernal to get rid of the warning at boot. Happy days.
    Only got it yesterday and promised myself I wouldn't tinker but the devil makes work for idle hands.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Just recieved the contract by email & it says you may scan the paperwork back to them.

Ive just spent the last 15 mins trying to ring someone in meteor to ask about a section on the contract. Do you think I can speak to anyone, not a hope:mad:

You guys might be able to answer it for me though.
    At the end of the contract, I must sign and date it. Thats fine, but under that it says '' position in company '' and it looks for a signature.

Do I leave this blank? Do I sign it? I dont even know what it means:confused:

Leave it blank if its not a company phone, put your working title in there if it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭PenguinMan

Anyone with the S2 on o2 having trouble sending/receiving MMS messages? Can't send or receive them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

PenguinMan wrote: »
    Anyone with the S2 on o2 having trouble sending/receiving MMS messages? Can't send or receive them.

did you check your message center number?
    are the settings for mms preinstalled 02 CAN send the settings.

• Advertisement

elderlemon wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Which firmware did you flash btw?

thank

Under the XWKE7 heading I downloaded the CPW UK firmware. I haven't had time to notice much difference but hopefully it will improve battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Did anyone else on a three phone get a message saying that internet setting have to be manually set?

Thanks. I just flashed XEU (in the same block) which I assume is a generic EU rom. All seems ok so we'll see.

thanks
    Under the XWKE7 heading I downloaded the CPW UK firmware. I haven't had time to notice much difference but hopefully it will improve battery life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Hmmm, in Kies, my GSII says this version of the device cannot be updated. I was checking for an update as I heard there was an issue with the auto brightness that was resolved. Any idea what that means (other than the obvious!) :)

Probably that you have an operator specific rom and there's no more up to date version available. You would have to do what i (and others) have done and flash a more generic rom. See couple posts back for instructions on how to do this.
    chrislad wrote: »
    Hmmm, in Kies, my GSII says this version of the device cannot be updated. I was checking for an update as I heard there was an issue with the auto brightness that was resolved. Any idea what that means (other than the obvious!) :)

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote: »

It means you have an operator modified firmware, flash with a generic one to get the updates. The operator versions could take months to update.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

It means you have an operator modified firmware, flash with a generic one to get the updates. The operator versions could take months to update.

Will these new firmwares have APN for different countries built in? I'd like to be able to connect to data networks abroad without having to enter their APN manually.

has anyone got mms working on vodafone? I keep getting "server response error"

thanks

Hmmm. I have a fix but i don't like it. Instead of selecting a contact and send, you enter in the mobile number directly and presto it works. Looks like a Google problem!
    elderlemon wrote: »
    has anyone got mms working on vodafone? I keep getting "server response error"

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lordfranto

Just got this beast yesterday, and after playing with it for a day im going to take my iphone 4 out the back garden, **** on it throw it a filthy look and walk off leaving it to die alone! Yes folks im in love!

P.s. Am i missing something? I mean i was an avid iphone jailbreaker but i just dont see the point with this mo fo, i can get anything i want on it for free and as for pre loaded apps ill just ignore em. Bought the phone on meteor from cpw so it came unlocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

seanp_25 wrote: »
    Is it possible to edit the four icons at the bottom of the screen (Phone, Contacts, Messaging, Applications)?

I want to replace Messaging with a shortcut to ChompSMS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXBbiy0Adiw

11mins 10secs in explains it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I dont think its specific to this phone but when I delete emails from hotmail on the phone, its not deleting them when I check on my laptop, anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this?

Apologies I am a noob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I hope vodafone wasn't lying and there is still new ones available tomorrow for payg.

I for one will be rooting and putting a custom rom on (cm7 when its done, and will try any others that are done)
    I will mess around with touchwiz for a while as I have only had and used a g1 so I didnt use sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

Lordfranto wrote: »
    Just got this beast yesterday, and after playing with it for a day im going to take my iphone 4 out the back garden, **** on it throw it a filthy look and walk off leaving it to die alone! Yes folks im in love!

P.s. Am i missing something? I mean i was an avid iphone jailbreaker but i just dont see the point with this mo fo, i can get anything i want on it for free and as for pre loaded apps ill just ignore em. Bought the phone on meteor from cpw so it came unlocked!

I've ditched a 3GS in favour of this beauty too. New to Android and really liking what I'm seeing. The hardware is top notch too!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 smcnena

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Did anyone else on a three phone get a message saying that internet setting have to be manually set?

I did initially when I started it up, but a few mins later it magically started working:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

thanks for that link, worked like a charm, now running debranded KE7 :D Definitely seems snappier and is using a good bit less memory.

roarlad wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXBbiy0Adiw

11mins 10secs in explains it.

Brilliant. :) Thanks for answering that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lads any apps recommendations

Thanks! For anyone else trying this, make sure you have Samsung Keis installed on your PC first for the drivers. I followed the tutorial on that page without knowing this, and Windows couldn't install the drivers for my phone when I plugged it in via USB, so Odin wouldn't work, and my phone was stuck in download mode until I downloaded and installed Keis for the drivers :)

Happy out now, unbranded KE7 (although it seems to come with BBC iPlayer?)

Keis Air is fantastic.

If you want to keep touchwiz is there anyway to set the homescreen to be in the middle not the first one?

That looks like it would be very annoying even with the exposé like overview, tap to move to a screen and the slide to screens features.

Also can you have 8 recent apps instead of 6. I see there is a widget which brings you into task manager which I suppose does this and better.

These are small gripes but since custom roms arent really ready and touchwiz is actually pretty good looking I want to make the most of it.

Has anyone read or annotated any pdfs on it? Is it fast enough, is the scrolling and zooming choppy like usual or does it use the ram properly and cache the whole page?

Does it come with swype?

Do the headphones have an antenna built in for the radio, or is that a software thing to force the headphones before the radio works?

Is there no volume rocker?

Does it come with swype?

Yes but Samsung keyboard is default. You can select Swype in settings.

There's a mod out there that will make the homescreen the middle one. It needs root. I saw it on the xda forums.

Can someone tell me the cheapest place to get a HDMI cable for the phone?
    They seem saucy enough online: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?pws=0&q=micro+usb+to+HDMI+CABLE&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12516220024035806991&sa=X&ei=sBzoTcqQBY-ahQftzY2nAQ&ved=0CEIQ8wIwAA

Also how does the USB host functionality work? What kind of cable is needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭fransdev

If some one is on Three and want the Three Skype version, no data charge when on Skype you can download it here. Just install the apk. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12465526/Skype_0.10.0.16_threeROI_live.apk

fransdev wrote: »
    If some one is on Three and want the Three Skype version, no data charge when on Skype you can download it here. Just install the apk. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12465526/Skype_0.10.0.16_threeROI_live.apk

Cheers. Why would you use this over the standard skype app? Is it better for skype calls where you have poor signal?

• Advertisement

Anybody who has a sim locked phone on Three can unlock it for free with this app. (Root required).

It only works when you are on 3G as it will not use data from your bundle, but at the moment Three got unlimited data anyway:D

Other cool things on the SGS2 when you get it from Three is of course free access to Bitbuzz hotspots and an app from a new Irish start up Zapa tag, who use a NFC sticker. It is a bridge while we wait for NFC to roll out in Ireland. You can go to Zapatag.ie and find a list where you can get the Zapa NFC sticker. They should get it into the Three stores so you can start using it straight away. At the moment only for royalty cards but they rolling out payment as well. Swipe and pay is the way of the future, just don't know if it will be compatible with Google wallet in the future.;)

Yes but Samsung keyboard is default. You can select Swype in settings.

There's a mod out there that will make the homescreen the middle one. It needs root. I saw it on the xda forums.

Can someone tell me the cheapest place to get a HDMI cable for the phone?
    They seem saucy enough online: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?pws=0&q=micro+usb+to+HDMI+CABLE&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12516220024035806991&sa=X&ei=sBzoTcqQBY-ahQftzY2nAQ&ved=0CEIQ8wIwAA

I've seen the HDMI for £14.99, but haven't found cheaper yet...

Happy out now, unbranded KE7 (although it seems to come with BBC iPlayer?)

Keis Air is fantastic.

Does that mean if you use market enabler to spoof your mobile operator you can view iPlayer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I wouldn't imagine so. You can still use a vpn though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/micro-usb-on-the-go-host-otg-adapter-pair-50774

What exactly do you mean by USB host?

What exactly do you mean by USB host?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭deekster

Hi Folks,

I need the help of the community here please. I am a Meteor Bill Pay customer. I purchased the SG2 from Voda ready-to-go yesterday.

First thing I did was pop my Meteor sim in (previously working just fine in my Nokia N900) and I was able to make voice calls and connect to the net via WiFi without any problems.

So far so good. My problem is that I cant get online using my Meteor Data allowance.

So, I rang Meteor last night and of course they don't have specific config info for the SG2 yet. The lady was as helpful as she could be, but I still can' t get online. She said the Meteor handsets come preloaded with the correct data config.

So below are my current config settings, having rebooted:

Setting > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks
    Use Packet Data: Ticked Yes.

Access Point Names:

Meteor:
    Name: Meteor
    APN: mms.mymeteor.ie
    Proxy: <not set>
    Port: <not set>
    Username: <not set>
    Password: <not set>
    Server: <not set>
    MMSC: http://mms.mymeteor.ie
    MMS proxy: 010.085.085.085
    MMS port: 8799
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 03
    Authentication type: PAP
    APN type: internet + mms

Meteor Data:
    Name: Meteor Data
    APN: data.mymeteor.ie
    Proxy: <not set>
    Port: <not set>
    Username: <not set>
    Password: <not set>
    Server: <not set>
    MMSC: http://mms.mymeteor.ie
    MMS proxy: 10.85.85.85
    MMS port: 8799
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 03
    Authentication type: PAP
    APN type: mms

Now when i try to browse to the Marketplace or a web page I get: "Web page not available"

On the top right, I have the 'E' or sometimes the '3G' icons, so I know I'm close to be connected.

It feels like I should have to tell the phone to establish the data connection somewhere, or is that old-school thinking and I am going to always online once I get this connected?

Any help or advice much appreciated.

(oh and I thought the quality of the earphones supplied by Samsung were of unexpected high quality. another one in the eye for Nokia!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement