Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

fransdev wrote: »

That won't do the job, will it? That's HDMI to Micro HDMI, not an adapter, unless I'm mistaken...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I wouldn't put the MMS settings within the Meteor Data APN settings as they should be standalone. Also try change the Meteor Data APN type to "Internet" and see how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭fransdev

Yeah sorry wrong link

Adapters, including the MHL > HDMI out.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/cat/Galaxy-S2-Adapters.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Taxedalot

Anyone have this on 3 and if so, how is it working out?

I'm just coming out of my contract with O2 and probaly going to move over to 3 - was thinking of the iphone 4 deal, but his looks so much better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

the story goes:

i ordered this online on wednesday night, and with that stupid vodafone website, i never knew what the status of my order was. rang this morning and was told that it still hadnt been sent and it would be tuesday at the earliest before i get it.

now that annoyed me since i needed, sorry, wanted that phone. took a drive to a vodafone store and i now have myself a prepaid one, still sealed. ill open later to check whether its sim free or not. i know the one coming on tuesday will be.

my query is, should i return the other one when it comes, sent id back and wait 7 days for a refund, or should i sell it on adverts?it will still be sealed and wrapped up. refusing the delivery is not really an option as its coming to my place of work.

would appreciate some feedback.

on another note, anybody know of any way to get all my texts from my iphone to the galaxy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭fransdev

I wanted to post another link with the HML to HDMI cable but you need a HML TV to charge the phone, which no TV doesn't got (yet) as with the adapter on mobile fun you can charge the phone. By the way mobile fun also sells the Bizlink version and they got an office here in Dublin. Gonna ask them if they have it in stock. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

Spipov wrote: »
    the story goes:

i ordered this online on wednesday night, and with that stupid vodafone website, i never knew what the status of my order was. rang this morning and was told that it still hadnt been sent and it would be tuesday at the earliest before i get it.

now that annoyed me since i needed, sorry, wanted that phone. took a drive to a vodafone store and i now have myself a prepaid one, still sealed. ill open later to check whether its sim free or not. i know the one coming on tuesday will be.

my query is, should i return the other one when it comes, sent id back and wait 7 days for a refund, or should i sell it on adverts?it will still be sealed and wrapped up. refusing the delivery is not really an option as its coming to my place of work.

would appreciate some feedback.

on another note, anybody know of any way to get all my texts from my iphone to the galaxy?

Definitely send it back, I doubt you will get full price on adverts.

Can you copy the texts to the sim card?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Thanks for the MHL and USB OTG info :)

Just ordered the MHL adapter from mobilefun, and I'll get the OTG cable at dealextreme :)

Still finding great stuff about this phone:
    The 1080p video looks great on a TV (went via laptop with HDMI out).
    You can upload full 1080p video to YouTube.

It can also play 720p or 1080p MKV files perfectly.
    There's also a torrent client for Android (tTorrent).
    Such talk isn't allowed here but if you take those last two points above, plus the HDMI output to TV capability... all that can be done without a laptop/PC now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

fionny wrote: »
    Just noticed www.samsungdive.com

All the same features of Sense, Track / Lock / Ring / Wipe phone all remotely. You can turn it on from settings and security!

Just thought I would quote this if anyone hasnt seen it!

Works in Ireland just tracked my phone to my exact location and also viewed the call logs :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

Rumour has it that Android 2.3.4 (Firmware KF1) is imminent (days rather than weeks).

Of course, this would be the generic unbranded country firmware possibley for XEU/XEE/XEN, with the wait for operator specific firmwares further down the line..

The Galaxy S II is €249 on Smart 35 with a 12 month contract on Meteor in-store. Has anyone heard of a cheaper way to get this handset on Meteor with a 12 month contract without buying it online? I want to get it today and I don't want to port. I'd appreciate any suggestions. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Rsaeire wrote: »
    The Galaxy S II is €249 on Smart 35 with a 12 month contract on Meteor in-store. Has anyone heard of a cheaper way to get this handset on Meteor with a 12 month contract without buying it online? I want to get it today and I don't want to port. I'd appreciate any suggestions. ;)

Not unless you are getting a trade in or maybe some company group scheme thingy.

Rsaeire wrote: »

Be patient; Walk in to to a shop and it'll be €289, but buy online (port a number, any number) for €249, Smart 35 is only €30 online and if you go through fatcheese.ie you get a €40 rebate.

Thanks for the replies guys! It's just I really wanted to get the handset today, but I guess the fact that I get €40 from fatcheese.ie and a saving of €5 per month on the tarrif means I'll save a bit of money in the long run. Decisions, decisions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Waiting on a phonecall to see if I can get this on prepay today from vodafone.

I could have payed 520 for it on 02, or 580 on three, meteor and emobile but that would be ridiculous.

What video formats can this play? What audio formats can it play?
    Can it play mpeg-4 and .mov? Can it play mp3, aac and wav?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭munzab

Waiting on a phonecall to see if I can get this on prepay today from vodafone.

I could have payed 520 for it on 02, or 580 on three, meteor and emobile but that would be ridiculous.

What video formats can this play? What audio formats can it play?
    Can it play mpeg-4 and .mov? Can it play mp3, aac and wav?

Got a load of texts so maybe no.

Ijust walked into a voda store and got it On prepay for 479. Was 450 to port online but was going to take forever to get here.hence the rush and the extra handset now

Oh ok then.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Anyone know how I can get this phone with Meteor Bill Pay. I am currently a meteor PAYG customer...DO I have to go in store and how much will it be? I want a 12 month contract for 35 a month if possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

nellocono wrote: »
    Anyone know how I can get this phone with Meteor Bill Pay. I am currently a meteor PAYG customer...DO I have to go in store and how much will it be? I want a 12 month contract for 35 a month if possible?

You could walk in to a Meteor/CPW store and pay €279.99 + 35pm for a 12 month contract

or

Port your number to another network and then sign up for an identical contract online at meteor.ie for €249.99 + 30pm fora 12 month contract. You could avail a cashback at FatCheese.ie (iirc €40) on top of this as well if you sign up and use their link to order online..

(Note: You will be subject to credit check though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

Just got this phone on billpay with vodafone, and it is locked to vodafone. Not sure why billpay would be locked and PAYG not, maybe some batches of phones are locked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭leemaree

I just got a Galaxy S2 from vodafone on prepay, put in my 02 sim card, turned it on and it is asking for a Network Lock Control key, so I suppose the post above about been unlocked is a no no

Where are people getting this still on vodafone?

Everywhere I have asked has been sold out.

ah pants! mine is locked to. tried a 3 sim and it asks for a network unlock code

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Just picked one up from the Three store in Dun Laoghaire! Holy moly this thing is mega zippy! Sooo loving the speed!

poor ole s1 just cant compare to this thing. now were is Angry Birds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

Hi all. do u know how to:

1. Set up this phone to have all pages in classic view not mobile?
    2. Set up this browser so text can adjust to fit in window?

Is it just me or there are mo
    re people regretting moving from HTC to Samsung?

Are u experiencing laggy movements between home screens?

How to set up physical button to activate screen number 4 not 1?!

Thanks

leemaree wrote: »
    I just got a Galaxy S2 from vodafone on prepay, put in my 02 sim card, turned it on and it is asking for a Network Lock Control key, so I suppose the post above about been unlocked is a no no

Oh sh!te, I guess you were unlucky, it must have just been an early batch or something.

Still, even with unlocking it's cheaper than SIM free, or 02.

iwo wrote: »
    Hi all. do u know how to:

1. Set up this phone to have all pages in classic view not mobile?
    2. Set up this browser so text can adjust to fit in window?

Is it just me or there are mo
    re people regretting moving from HTC to Samsung?

Are u experiencing laggy movements between home screens?

How to set up physical button to activate screen number 4 not 1?!

Thanks

I noticed that with the first Galaxy, all pages were in mobile view.. I didn't find the setting to override it though...

First screen is the home screen, not sure if you can easily change that.

I noticed that with the first Galaxy, all pages were in mobile view.. I didn't find the setting to override it though...

First screen is the home screen, not sure if you can easily change that.

I want my desire hd back then...thanks anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭5500

iwo wrote: »
    I want my desire hd back then...thanks anyway :D

You need to root if you want to set a specific screen as your homescreen, its not the hardest thing to do.

Maby we could get a GS2 specific root sticky to help anyone looking to do so?

My mate also just picked up a vodafone prepay unit and its simfree, flashed KE7 firmware straight away,begone vodabloatware!

• Advertisement

I just got my Galaxy S II, but I've yet to open it. It was an absolute ordeal going back and forth between customer care and agents in store as they were all equally as incompetent as each other. Thankfully all is well now and I can get on with enjoying my new handset! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭5500

deekster wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I need the help of the community here please. I am a Meteor Bill Pay customer. I purchased the SG2 from Voda ready-to-go yesterday.

First thing I did was pop my Meteor sim in (previously working just fine in my Nokia N900) and I was able to make voice calls and connect to the net via WiFi without any problems.

So far so good. My problem is that I cant get online using my Meteor Data allowance.

So, I rang Meteor last night and of course they don't have specific config info for the SG2 yet. The lady was as helpful as she could be, but I still can' t get online. She said the Meteor handsets come preloaded with the correct data config.

So below are my current config settings, having rebooted:

Setting > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks
    Use Packet Data: Ticked Yes.

Access Point Names:

Meteor:
    Name: Meteor
    APN: mms.mymeteor.ie
    Proxy: <not set>
    Port: <not set>
    Username: <not set>
    Password: <not set>
    Server: <not set>
    MMSC: http://mms.mymeteor.ie
    MMS proxy: 010.085.085.085
    MMS port: 8799
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 03
    Authentication type: PAP
    APN type: internet + mms

Meteor Data:
    Name: Meteor Data
    APN: data.mymeteor.ie
    Proxy: <not set>
    Port: <not set>
    Username: <not set>
    Password: <not set>
    Server: <not set>
    MMSC: http://mms.mymeteor.ie
    MMS proxy: 10.85.85.85
    MMS port: 8799
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 03
    Authentication type: PAP
    APN type: mms

Now when i try to browse to the Marketplace or a web page I get: "Web page not available"

On the top right, I have the 'E' or sometimes the '3G' icons, so I know I'm close to be connected.

It feels like I should have to tell the phone to establish the data connection somewhere, or is that old-school thinking and I am going to always online once I get this connected?

Any help or advice much appreciated.

(oh and I thought the quality of the earphones supplied by Samsung were of unexpected high quality. another one in the eye for Nokia!)

Try

Name this APN - Meteor Internet

* APN: wap.mymeteor.ie
    * Proxy: 010.085.085.085
    * Port:8799
    * Username: my
    * Password: meteor
    * Server: http://wap.mymeteor.ie
    * MMSC: mms.mymeteor.ie
    * MMS proxy: 010.085.085.085
    * MMS port:8799
    * MCC: 272
    * MNC: 03
    * APN type: default

Go to menu, and sav - This will bring you back to the APN menu

Press Menu again and select new APN
    Name this Meteor mms and add the following settings:

* APN: mms.mymeteor.ie
    * Proxy: 010.085.085.085
    * Port: 8799
    * Username: my
    * Password: mms
    * Server: http://mms.mymeteor.ie
    * MMSC: http://mms.mymeteor.ie
    * MMS proxy: 010.085.085.085
    * MMS port: 8799
    * MCC: 272
    * MNC: 03
    * APN type: mms

Press menu and save.

5500 wrote: »
    You need to root if you want to set a specific screen as your homescreen, its not the hardest thing to do.

Maby we could get a GS2 specific root sticky to help anyone looking to do so?

My mate also just picked up a vodafone prepay unit and its simfree, flashed KE7 firmware straight away,begone vodabloatware!

Thanks man! Yeah, i would not mind to see some directions...it's a pity im not happy with new purchase...i will give it a chance tho ;)

What arent you happy with?

Why do you want screen 4 to be the homescreen?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jru0UIk9suw

Try the settings, there is some versions you can change the default homescreen, well at least with launcherpro anyway or try this - http://androidforums.com/captivate-support-troubleshooting/130164-how-do-you-change-default-home-screen.html

rooted and unlocked.

ke7 here i come. what are you guys using as ke7 rom?dont think i want to leave the stock samsung rom yet, though i do want to be rid of the vodafone rom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

http://goo.gl/P4KTK

I used the XEU ROM, works perfectly.

Spipov wrote: »
    rooted and unlocked.

ke7 here i come. what are you guys using as ke7 rom?dont think i want to leave the stock samsung rom yet, though i do want to be rid of the vodafone rom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Can I ask what's the advantage of rooting and does that void a warrenty?

As for why, for me its more why not.

http://lifehacker.com/5789397/the-always-up+to+date-

What arent you happy with?

Why do you want screen 4 to be the homescreen?

Try the settings, there is some versions you can change the default homescreen, well at least with launcherpro anyway or try this - http://androidforums.com/captivate-support-troubleshooting/130164-how-do-you-change-default-home-screen.html

Hmm few things: i don't like the keyboard, i don't like a plastic build, i don't like lack of desktop view in browser - very annoying! I don't like mail client due to lack of functions from HTC i.e tick boxes for multiple selections, laggy home screens when moving from one to other! This is crazy for 1.2 ghz, worse wifi reception vs desire and desire hd.

I like: weight, its very slim, better speaker vs dhd, much better display, better battery life, kies air is just awesome idea

Okay before I start go into the sensation thread, someone accused me of working for HTC so I really like HTC.

But everything there is easily fixed or wrong even without rooting.

There are two keyboards, you dislike both?
    The phone has been said to be solid, besides when you take of the cover? It wont break the same as any other phone.
    You can check off multiple emails at a time, google it. Anyway stock email clients always suck. I always just use a gmail app or the website.
    This cant be laggy in comparison to sense, that is real lag as was the s1.
    All the reviews said nothing about worse wifi, I think you are just missing your HTC, its not too late to bring it back and get the sensation.

• Advertisement

It really is a thing of beauty.

sgsii.jpg

Can you disable mobile view in the browser? This really annoyed me with the SGS1.

changing the browser user agent

changing the browser user agent

Thanks. Odd that its not in the settings....

I know there isnt a questionaire before you get a phone, but damn I wish there was.

This is android, "an os by easteregg". You may want to get used to this, very little is documented or in the settings ;)
    (this is sparta…?)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭paddypowder

how cool is this phone...

i really feel iphone is more user friendly(to people with less tech knowledge.. like me)
    but the galaxy s is actually better in every way that i can tell

my only complaint about three was i kept getting "H" signal... then after i did my research i realised it wasn't a negative

if any 1 has any tips and tricks feel free to pm me links or reply here

I know there isnt a questionaire before you get a phone, but damn I wish there was.

This is android, "an os by easteregg". You may want to get used to this, very little is documented or in the settings ;)
    (this is sparta…?)

TBH I didn't keep the SGS long enough to settle into regular use, most of the time spent with it was on trying to coax KIES into action so I could flash a generic Froyo. I'm sure I'd have figured it out eventually. :D

anoble66 wrote: »
    http://goo.gl/P4KTK

I used the XEU ROM, works perfectly.

i did that. which one u used? kies now refuses to acknowledge that this rom has been installed now. says it cant update this firmware.

on the phone my csc is xeu but when i connect to kies, it stays at vd1. therefore, no updates for me:(

edit: a firmware reset from the dialer screen worked :) happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just updated to Ke7 - do i have to root phone now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Mc Love wrote: »
    Just updated to Ke7 - do i have to root phone now?

Yup.

Advertisement