Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

hmm wtf do i have a bogey?

can people go into battery use and click on battery and tell me how long the screen says it was on for? to compare usage.

ive set the lockscreen to a black image to save battery even more, see if that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

battery usage says screen has used 69%, android os 7% and system 5%, game 4%
    4%, 4% and 3% for browsers, media server 3%, cell 2%

i have been using it for 90% of that time though, and have tried wireless sync, browsing, youtube, camera, customizing, listened to 30 mins of podcasts etc

i think its bad, just want to test against other peoples battery life

Those figures seem fine, some people who suffer battery problems have android os eating 40% + battery on them. The only thing that may be a problem is wireless sync. When I had KE2 firmware wireless sync seemed to eat my battery, I havnt used it with KE7 but there were people on XDA reporting the process eating their battery too.

Also if your only using the phone less than a day, your going to have to give it a few charge cycles to condition itself too

Ah ok, i though fully charging it today would give it proper calibration but i suppose it needs a full discharger and recharge to do that.

So getting roughly 6 hours (theres still 28% at 5 hours) seems normal? So engadget was proper bull****ting on 10 hours wifi usage with no power savings?

I picked up and used my g1 there, and wow the difference is ridiculous. I cant even use the damn thing anymore its that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

I'm sending this $hity phone back to three, sent email already and I am waiting for them to come back to me. Wifi and 3G are very poor and other issues just disqualify this phone, people were right that this phone looks great on paper...I have no time and no patient to go and look how to make this phone workable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

iwo wrote: »
    I'm sending this $hity phone back to three, sent email already and I am waiting for them to come back to me. Wifi and 3G are very poor and other issues just disqualify this phone, people were right that this phone looks great on paper...I have no time and no patient to go and look how to make this phone workable!

I dont think that android is for you if thats the case! The s2 is an absolute peach of a phone!
    clacks wrote: »
    Yup.

So after updating to KE7 the phone has to be rooted? I dont see why? Can you explain?

I only got 7 hours out of my s2 today, I suppose it was heavy enough usage with the screen on for over 4 hours.

I hope it lasts longer tomorrow, otherwise its perfect only small problems which mostly come down to the fact i havent put a proper rom on it yet.

Do you update to ke7 by connecting the phone and using kies? or will i leave ke1 on it until friday when i have time to root and flash and get rid of this crap rom?

Mc Love wrote: »
    I dont think that android is for you if thats the case! The s2 is an absolute peach of a phone!

So after updating to KE7 the phone has to be rooted? I dont see why? Can you explain?

I had three different android phones so far - nearly 1.5 years! I read and follow many forums and articles about android etc. But this phone simply is cr@p. I could live with bad soft as it can be rooted any time but, cr@py wifi and 3G is just too much, it...is...not...worth the hassle.

Yeah,yeah,yeah it plays full hd movies, it has 1.2ghz clock, and has many other nice features but when it comes to small simple things it doesn't work...i just can't believe myself that I didn't check this phone before I bought it - my fault.

Ye, sounds like you have a dud.
    The wifi issue may be an actual problem or it may be slow download sites.

You could either try returning for full price or trading on ads for a desire hd or something and possibly cash also.

Yeah, I think I have customer rights to return it within a week. If not I will try to sell/swap for sensation, the only reason why I didn't get sensation was fact that sensation wasn't available on three and was unhappy with whole DHD upgrade to 2.3 process, this is why I wanted to try different make. I am so angry as I had DHD in spotless condition with screen protectors, gel case, hard case, brodit car holder and all the accessories and I sold it just because I got borred with it...

• Advertisement

Is there a way to download/backup apps that came preinstalled and reinstall them when rooted and flashed?

I want to keep swype and gaelfón

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Is there a way to download/backup apps that came preinstalled and reinstall them when rooted and flashed?

I want to keep swype and gaelfón

Swype's free to anyone who wants to use it via their beta program.

http://beta.swype.com/

And Gaelfon is also free

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.maithu.android.gaelfonfree&feature=search_result

Cool, thanks.

I thought swype went to a carrier only model and I though you had to pay maithú* for gaelfón (ah you have to pay for getTheFocal)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

battery is great for me, 11hrs 47mins on battery, 48% remaining.....running KE7. No wifi usage today though, but plenty of 3G usage, some angry birds, some browsing, installing / removing apps, texting etc. Overall I think the battery is brilliant in this phone.

Did anyone run their batteries down while using ke1?

Maybe thats why I only got 7hrs battery becuase I am on ke1?

I certainly think they made big improvements on battery drain since KE1, at least that is what I have read. I am not a big wifi user so cannot compare my results to yours, for all I know if I enable wifi I may only get 7-8hrs as well.

Did anyone run their batteries down while using ke1?

Maybe thats why I only got 7hrs battery becuase I am on ke1?

• Advertisement

I must update to ke7 and see if I can live with this rom for a while, and flash later.

I had fine battery on Ke1 but updated to ke7 anyway

Mc Love wrote: »
    I had fine battery on Ke1 but updated to ke7 anyway

describe fine?

As in no problems that I noticed in the short time I was using it, good battery life.

Thanks, but how many hours?

• Advertisement

Got the warning of low battery after about 11 or so hours (but as I had just got it, I was playing around with it quite a bit)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Guys,
    Can someone tell me if the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client is pre-installed on the S2? Samsung have released statements to say it was but as far as I know it is not...?

Anyone know anything about this?

It might be that a just used it more than usual, but 7hours compared to 11 is not that bad i suppose.

Thanks.

Looks like I didnt full charge it this morning, I unplugged after it hit 100% - not when it beeped and was fully charged which took roughly 30 mins extra on the second charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭doniem

Hey guys,
    got this on wednesday on meteor.
    i came from a desire running cm7 to the sgs2 and once i got it set to my taste i have to say im quite happy with it. i cant see mich difference with battery length to be honest. still getting about a day out of it same as with desire. Few quick questions though

anyone find they get blank screens when browsing? a good few times now ive opened a ne link as a new window in the background and when i go to view it the entire page is white. no amount of refreshing makes a difference just have to close the window and open thd lonk again. i updated to ke7 but it didnt solve it. no biggie just a little annoying when you havd 4 or 5 windows open and it happens all of them.

Also i tried canging the useragent as described earlier but it was already selected. Despite this everytime i go to use adverts.ie i always get the touch based version. anyway to change this.

Thanks for any advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Finding the battery fine. Using GPS for about an hour yesterday, WiFi for about 4 hours, about an hour of calls, Facebook, Twitter etc all day, and I had just gotten the below 30% warning at about 9pm, when I had been going since 7am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

clacks wrote: »
    Just updated to the latest KE7 using this link http://goo.gl/P4KTK.
    Fairly straightforward. Gets rid of the Three branding and rooted the phone too. You can also re-flash the official kernal to get rid of the warning at boot. Happy days.
    Only got it yesterday and promised myself I wouldn't tinker but the devil makes work for idle hands.:D

Thanks for this link. I updated to KE7 firmware, rooted and re-flashed the official KE7 kernal. It was all very straight forward, even for a total novice like me! One immediate benefit of rooting is being able to run AdFree.

chrislad wrote: »
    Finding the battery fine. Using GPS for about an hour yesterday, WiFi for about 4 hours, about an hour of calls, Facebook, Twitter etc all day, and I had just gotten the below 30% warning at about 9pm, when I had been going since 7am.

Can I ask you how long you had the screen on for? Its probably too late to check the battery usage to tell you, but roughly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

My battery life is a wee bit disappointing, even with WiFi off and power save on. I get through the day, but just about, so maybe ~10hrs mixed usage.
    Display 21%
    Android OS 20%
    Android System 20%

How does one tell if you are on KE2, KE7, etc? Mine says 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKDD-CL161513root@DELL103 #2 - whatever that means!

Maybe mine was a bad first day on the battery, but 7hrs is still very short.

You tell it by checking the build version just below where you got that string above in settings.
    mine is "gingerbread.buke1" for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

This phone also works with remote sim mode, something that dissapointed me about my HTC Desire as I couldn't connect it to the built in bluetooth kit on my Passatt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Beilo

Im going to buy one on tuesday (vodafone). Can anyone confirm there is an slovak language in options? Thanks a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭tonto2010

Beilo wrote: »
    Im going to buy one on tuesday (vodafone). Can anyone confirm there is an slovak language in options? Thanks a lot

Cant see slovak in langiages but has the below, hope this helps.

Slovencina
    Slovenscina

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Beilo

Thanks tonto2010, Slovencina means Slovak. I just wonder, if the vodafone galaxy s2 is really unlocked.....fingers-crossed :)

Most people say theirs is unlocked (i actually have tested mine yet)

nope, "enter network unlock control key" - it is locked. bought it Saturday morning in swords.

root and one click http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/903802/free_samsung_galaxy_s2_unlock_app_released.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Beilo wrote: »
    Thanks tonto2010, Slovencina means Slovak. I just wonder, if the vodafone galaxy s2 is really unlocked.....fingers-crossed :)

Just bought one on Vodafone (Bill pay) in CPW and it's unlocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 x0l0x

Most people say theirs is unlocked (i actually have tested mine yet)

nope, "enter network unlock control key" - it is locked. bought it Saturday morning in swords.

root and one click http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/903802/free_samsung_galaxy_s2_unlock_app_released.html

It could be asking for the PIN code .... Try to insert the pin code

x0l0x wrote: »
    It could be asking for the PIN code .... Try to insert the pin code

nope, it asks for the pin then the network unlock code

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭No_Deal

Got my S2 Saturday and loving it!

Just one question.

I had a HTC before and this is my first Samsung phone but just wondering the following:

My preferred keyboard input method is 4x3 keypad.

But I like to use XT9 for everything - I save usernames/passwords etc by adding them originally as XT9 words.

XT9 works fine on say when I'm writing a SMS message but when it comes to something like logging into the Android Facebook app for example - (i) I have to enter my email address one letter at a time and (ii) for my password the XT9 button on the keypad appears to be ghosted?

Can someone try to do this above and tell me does the same thing happen to them?
    Does anyone have a settings solution? (in settings XT9 is ticked but as i said is ghosted on the keypad)

All help greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

Never heard of xt9 before that.
    But anyway use swype, it is awesome.

settings - language and keyboards - select input method - swype

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

T9 is predictive text. I think it's off for the likes of logins is that, generally, email addresses aren't dictionary words (ie normally names etc) or they could be something like johnz17!@123ezt.ie or something non-standard.

anyone tested pptp vpn on this yet? I cannot get it to connect over 3G - just not sure is Three blocking VPN connections over it's 3G network or is it the phone....I am sure it used to work fine on the iphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Stock android VPN has never worked for me. Have to use custom rom + openvpn to connect.

Hopefully they will fix VPN bug soon.

thanks for that info - might have to look into a custom rom. Cannot get Touchdown or K9 to connect to the exchange server which is a right pita

srsly78 wrote: »
    Stock android VPN has never worked for me. Have to use custom rom + openvpn to connect.

Hopefully they will fix VPN bug soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Havn't had a chance to have a play around with mine properly, still waiting on my number to port to Vodafone. It seems meteor wont release the number because my PAYG account is "suspended" for the last 11 months even though I've been using it since Christmas. :confused: Have to say though, Carphone Warehouse have been more than helpful, both in Blanch and Swords.

Not really SGS2 related, but I´ll ask in here anyway, does anyone know of an alternative to the meteor bill pay stats app, or something that does the same job? (Track mins/texts?)

Cheers

• Advertisement

Hi all, I'm trying to connect my iPad to galaxy s2 hotspot and get error message, I tried both open and encrypted ways...did you try to connect something to gs2? I was able to do that with desire so it is not iPad issue...i checked a laptop too - no luck
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

anyone know where can I find GS2 32GB memory... and how much different compare to 16GB... just want to look the option 16GB build in + 16GB card or 32GB build in.

I read a rumor somewhere that Samsung have pulled the plug on the 32gb version for now, was going to be too costly.....plus why bother when you can just put in a 32gb micro sdcard.

erie wrote: »
    anyone know where can I find GS2 32GB memory... and how much different compare to 16GB... just want to look the option 16GB build in + 16GB card or 32GB build in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I've connected both my MacBook Pro and iPad (and iPhone) to the SGS II with no problems. I assume you are using the standard built-in HotSpot, not sure why it wont work for you. It really does sound like you have a duff handset, I've literally had no problems.
    erie wrote: »

They are not in production yet, AFAIK.

bd250110 wrote: »
    I've connected both my MacBook Pro and iPad (and iPhone) to the SGS II with no problems. I assume you are using the standard built-in HotSpot, not sure why it wont work for you. It really does sound like you have a duff handset, I've literally had no problems.

They are not in production yet, AFAIK.

I need to send this phone back then... I'm fecked as I don't know what to get after...there are: iPhone4, desire s and galaxy s2 to get and sensation will not be in stock until end of month.I sold my DHD so I am left with no phone....will three be ok if I ring them back and ask for galaxy s2 again? They accepted my complaint and asked me to send the phone tomorrow morning to Dublin. But I said that I simply didn't like the phone...

• Advertisement
Advertisement