Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

iwo i would go for another galaxy s2, sometimes you just get a bad handset.
    It happens with all phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

just wonder... my iphone4 16gb eat so fast with plenty of apps, books, podcast, mp3s, movies, 5mp photos and 720p video (travel a lot)... and micro sdcard class4 not as fast as buildin flash.

happened to my dhd b4, there is lag to save or retreive info from microsd card compare flash buildin.... like got a veyron but drive it on 100km/h m50 road.... wth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I like what Samsung are doing with this, Good move. Im not so sure some networks will be very impressed, but Im not bothered what they think , TBH!

Just got a CaseMate Tough case for the SGS II, it's a lovely fit and exactly what I wanted. Thrilled with the whole set-up now!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Just tried out the video chat via Google Talk over Wifi. Works perfectly, very impressive :)

http://android.modaco.com/content/software/339390/r1-12-may-google-video-talk-installer/ (needs root)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭tonto2010

Headshot wrote: »

Wow if thats true its great news, hopefully Samsing will follow this up with a decent update strategy. Imagine getting an OTA update of cynogenmod! :pac:

Ok, I know you have to give it a few charges/discharges to get it to its best but the most i can get out of the battery while actually using it is 7hrs.

Are people actually getting 10+ hours on wifi or with proper usage?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

seanp_25 wrote: »
    Thanks! For anyone else trying this, make sure you have Samsung Keis installed on your PC first for the drivers. I followed the tutorial on that page without knowing this, and Windows couldn't install the drivers for my phone when I plugged it in via USB, so Odin wouldn't work, and my phone was stuck in download mode until I downloaded and installed Keis for the drivers :)

Happy out now, unbranded KE7 (although it seems to come with BBC iPlayer?)

Keis Air is fantastic.

Just updated this myself, but it seems that my phone won't connect to Vodafone data network. Is anyone else having this issue with KE7?

can someone on vodafone bill pay post the access points just to confirm what I have is correct now? cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

I know this is a stupid question but i'm new to the whole smartphone thing so forgive me! Basically I'm struggling to make a phone call on the S2!

When i press "phone" it goes into my call logs. I can get into contacts and favourites etc through the buttons up the top but how do I just get a number pad up to type my own in!?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Anyone having problems with the battery getting extremely hot? Both mine and my mates GS2 have been so hot that it would be uncomfortable to make a call with or hold. Any fixes or known issues on this one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

you know the tabs at the top scroll left to right. Scroll it to the right and the dialer should show.
    I know this is a stupid question but i'm new to the whole smartphone thing so forgive me! Basically I'm struggling to make a phone call on the S2!

When i press "phone" it goes into my call logs. I can get into contacts and favourites etc through the buttons up the top but how do I just get a number pad up to type my own in!?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Perfect thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Cazale wrote: »
    Anyone having problems with the battery getting extremely hot? Both mine and my mates GS2 have been so hot that it would be uncomfortable to make a call with or hold. Any fixes or known issues on this one?

When does it get hot? After charging? When running wifi hotspot? Or just in normal operation?

edit: Lots of people reporting this. Here is xda thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1056
    Consensus seems to be: It's a powerful phone, it gets hot when it has to work hard. Don't worry about it too much. If may feel hot but it's nothing to worry about. Phone should auto-shutdown if it actually overheats.
    edit2: Fail, that link is for Galaxy 1. Will fix in a sec.
    edit3: Fixed, same conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Thanks Samsung for letting us remove your terrible software :D

srsly78 wrote: »
    Thanks Samsung for letting us remove your terrible software :D

Wouldnt say its that bad, its better then Sense IMHO.

I could have a good rant about Sense as well :) The main thing that annoys me about the Samsung stuff is Kies >.<

I could have a good rant about Sense as well :) The main thing that annoys me about the Samsung stuff is Kies >.<

At least you dont have to use it though. You can just use it as a USB drive and drag and drop stuff on... I think the Kies Air thing is brilliant though.

You have to use it to update don't you?

• Advertisement

You have to use it to update don't you?

I dont believe so, you can update OTA from Settings / About Phone. You log into your samsung account and it checks then,

Is that changed then? The Galaxy 1 needed Kies to update I thought?

Is that changed then? The Galaxy 1 needed Kies to update I thought?

Probably, the option is there although there is no update to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The stock text messaging doesnt allow for forwards or edit sent messages, or I havent found it - anyone know of an app thats better?

Mc Love wrote: »
    The stock text messaging doesnt allow for forwards or edit sent messages, or I havent found it - anyone know of an app thats better?

It does allow you to forward, just go to the text you want to forward and long press on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

anoble66 wrote: »
    anyone tested pptp vpn on this yet? I cannot get it to connect over 3G - just not sure is Three blocking VPN connections over it's 3G network or is it the phone....I am sure it used to work fine on the iphone.

Not working for me neither on 3g or wifi. Worked perfectly on my old nexus one. A bit of a bummer.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure stock android vpn doesn't work (also carrier may be blocking it). Have had to use custom roms + openvpn to get it working myself. Surprised to hear it worked on nexus one, doesn't work on nexus S or various other 2.2 tablets/devices I have tried :( Expecting it to be fixed in update soon, many people complaining.

edit: Lots of open issues about vpn: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4706
    VPN is complicated, there are many types. Android support pretty shoddy at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Mc Love wrote: »

I use chompSMS. Others will swear by Handcent.

Those seem to be the two best Android SMS apps anyway. Give them a go. (You might have to turn off Notifications in the stock messaging app, otherwise you'll be notified of texts twice).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

Kinda funny seeing as Samsung don't seem to like paying devs market rate in London :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

Anyone know how to stop Social Hub from syncing/checking my gmail? I want to remove it as a gmail client but don't see how to??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

Can anyone give me a link to a guide to root and then unlock this? Preferably one they have used successfully. Got it on Vodafone today, tried my Meteor sim, locked!:(

Rooting is nothing to do with unlocking. To unlock it just ring up vodafone.

Can anyone give me a link to a guide to root and then unlock this? Preferably one they have used successfully. Got it on Vodafone today, tried my Meteor sim, locked!:(

http://www.inspiredgeek.com/2011/04/30/how-to-root-samsung-galaxy-sii-s2-using-od
    in-and-superoneclick-step-by-step-guide/

There is an unlock app in the market. Worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

clacks wrote: »
    http://www.inspiredgeek.com/2011/04/30/how-to-root-samsung-galaxy-sii-s2-using-od
    in-and-superoneclick-step-by-step-guide/

There is an unlock app in the market. Worked for me.

Cheers. What version of superOneClick did you use?

Cheers. What version of superOneClick did you use?

The " SuperOneClickv1.9.1-ShortFuse.zip" as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

For those worried about their battery life, and have already rooted their handset or are planning to, it appears that the Wi-Fi sharing and Manager apps are a big cause for battery drain issues for a number of users; myself included. I did a bit of research and it turns out that if you simply rename the apps, hence the need to root your handset, the apps won't start. I've done it myself and noticed a vast improvement. Wi-Fi still works completely fine, it's just if you wanted to turn your handset into a Wi-Fi hotspot you'll most likely run into issues.

For example, I charged my handset on Sunday night and when I woke up about 6 hours later, the battery had gone down to 65%, even though I had power saving on and the screen had turned off. A few hours later, after doing very little on the handset, it had gone down to 45% so I knew there was something odd going on.

You can find all the relevant info regarding the Wi-Fi sharing and Manager apps draining your battery here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

ive rooted and turned off a number of apps including all from samsung.

the manager and wifi apps as well.

seems to be doing the trick. off charge since 9am,

a few phone calls, blutooth for about 1 hour (in car), wifi for about 2 hours total, though screen was not necessarily on, a few texts,

86% left.

weyhey!

on a side note, ive noticed something annoying.

when i was on iphone 4, i suffered from the dreaded switch to 2g and never switch back bug. it seems to be the galaxy s2 on 3 does that as well.

i was in town, and once it switched to roaming, it never switched back until way later when i got back home.

weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

That's a Three issue, I had it on a Galaxy S and Desire. Was so bad I had to cancel the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

clacks wrote: »
    The " SuperOneClickv1.9.1-ShortFuse.zip" as far as I can remember.

Right, just rooted this..Im a noob first time Ive done this..so what can I do now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lordfranto

Hi just wondering if anyone has found a way of getting navigon or copilot apks to work when installed?

• Advertisement

Bought this phone on payg from vodafone in Swords and it is opened and been used etc.

What are my chances of getting a refund from vodafone? (im thinking none)

Could I use bad battery as a return cause?

I want the phone, its just I think the deal for 40 per month for 24 months on 3 is better value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Maybe you could sell it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Just wondering what others think of threes 'free gs2'? 24 months is an awful long time to have a contract....I will want to change my phone after about 6 month like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Maybe you should get a sim free phone & then you can use just a 30day sim only plan from 3. €30 for 350 units & all the data you can use.

amdaley28 - hmm thats a good plan thanks.

I was thinking of selling the phone or returning it and getting it on 3 for free for the 24months mostly because it works out a lot cheaper as I get credit included.
    It would be 40e times 24 = 960 - 480 is 480 divided by 24 which is 20e a month which is what I would spend anyway that I am currently paying with meteor and getting a lot less.

That is a very long contract though.

But if I can get a similar deal on a rolling basis thats much better.
    Yes 3pay seems to be the way to go, by topping up by 20e a month and getting a tenner free so i could even not top up and still have credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Delighted with the SGS 2. With Launcher pro installed I don't miss sense one bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So im replying to a post on boards here, the phone is in landscape and i cant see anything iv typed. It works perfect facing straight up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Ditto. BTW does the bookmark widget on launcherpro work for you. Doesn't pick up bookmarks as it appears the galaxy stores them in a different location.
    Delighted with the SGS 2. With Launcher pro installed I don't miss sense one bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Headshot wrote: »
    So im replying to a post on boards here, the phone is in landscape and i cant see anything iv typed. It works perfect facing straight up.

What browser are you using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

Has anyone managed to turn off the Samsung splash screen and annoying jingle at boot up?

Advertisement