Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

I dont think you can unless you were to load a custom ROM

Ardent wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to turn off the Samsung splash screen and annoying jingle at boot up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Ardent wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to turn off the Samsung splash screen and annoying jingle at boot up?

Your lucky, those of us who got it on three have a nasty 3 splash screen at boot up (until we Rom it) would love to have the Samsung one back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

theteal wrote: »
    What browser are you using?

The one that came with the sim free phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

god's toy wrote: »
    Your lucky, those of us who got it on three have a nasty 3 splash screen at boot up (until we Rom it) would love to have the Samsung one back.

Just use Odin to flash the stock ROM onto the phone, you dont need to root it or anything and that way you will get ke7 on too.

As for browsers the stock browser is a bit poo what with no auto wrapping etc... I would suggest Opera Mobile... (NOT MINI)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fionamb83

They have it!! And free on a 40 euro plan! U have to be on it for two years though.. But the plan is pretty good! Worth it for the phone i think

http://www.three.ie/shop/products/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-black.html?_selectedTariff=billpay&_defaultPriceplan=25&utm_source=internal&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=homepage-hero-galaxy-s2-free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

fionamb83 wrote: »
    They have it!! And free on a 40 euro plan! U have to be on it for two years though.. But the plan is pretty good! Worth it for the phone i think

http://www.three.ie/shop/products/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-black.html?_selectedTariff=billpay&_defaultPriceplan=25&utm_source=internal&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=homepage-hero-galaxy-s2-free

Lol, sorry to be mean but your a touch late to the party!

All the networks have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fionamb83

Oh, a month ago I rang meteor and they didn't have it. I'm slow off the mark! If only I had a way to get it. I'm tied into a contract for 18 months :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

fionamb83 wrote: »

€40 is a lot and a 2 year contract, its all to much for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

amdaley28 - hmm thats a good plan thanks.

I was thinking of selling the phone or returning it and getting it on 3 for free for the 24months mostly because it works out a lot cheaper as I get credit included.
    It would be 40e times 24 = 960 - 480 is 480 divided by 24 which is 20e a month which is what I would spend anyway that I am currently paying with meteor and getting a lot less.

That is a very long contract though.

But if I can get a similar deal on a rolling basis thats much better.
    Yes 3pay seems to be the way to go, by topping up by 20e a month and getting a tenner free so i could even not top up and still have credit.

Wouldn't you be as well off buying from Amazon than buying on 3Pay? On Amazon it is unlocked and unbranded out of the box and about the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

If you want to get out of the contract with Three after say 12 months, what would the cost be...

I am guessing it would be just to pay off the remainder of the contract i.e. 12 months left X 40Euro = 480euro...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

fionny wrote: »
    Just use Odin to flash the stock ROM onto the phone, you dont need to root it or anything and that way you will get ke7 on too.

Could you give an easy to follow link please.
    Cheers.

Best deal I can find is with Meteor, pitty their network is so crap....

12 month contract @ €30 per month, 200 mins, 200 texts, 1GB, phone €249.99

So total cost of 609.99 - 40 fatcheese discount - whatever the plan above is worth to you.

So say I normally spend 15 euro a month on 3Pay that means I pay 609.99 - 40 - 180 = 389.99 (if I can bring myself to trust their network). As a bonus EU roaming is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭leemaree

I dont know weather I posted this already but I got a Samsung Galaxy S 2 from Vodafone but it wasn't unlocked as when I put my 02 sim in it, put in my pin, turned on the phone and it said 'Enter Network Lock Control Key' , so i searched the internet and I found this ;

Warning : Do not enter any wrong unlock codes on your Samsung Galaxy S2 mobile phones. If you enter over a certain amount of wrong unlock codes on your Samsung Galaxy S2 mobile phone, your phone may get hard locked and sometimes become unusable.
    1 - Switch ON your Samsung Galaxy S2 with a NOT ACCEPTED SIM Card.
    2 - Compose : #7465625*638*CODE# (or *#7465625*638*CODE#).

NOT ACCEPTED: We mean, to use a sim card from a network other than the network your Samsung Galaxy S2 is locked to.
    CODE: Its the unique Unlock Code for your Samsung Galaxy S2.

Can someone tell me how to do this? I taped in the box and the keypad came up. I typed in the numbers but how do I type in the 'CODE' word if it's only numbers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Replace the word CODE with the numeric unlocking code you have.

Have to ask, where did you get the unlock code from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Maybe a simple question, but how did you guys transfer contacts over from one Android phone to the GSII

I had a HTC Desire using Go Contacts, backed it up on SD.

Put SD in GSII but it could not import them. So if there is a simplier way pls let me know... ;)

Tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I used google, all my contacts are synced online (in the "cloud").

doesn't work

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Wouldn't you be as well off buying from Amazon than buying on 3Pay? On Amazon it is unlocked and unbranded out of the box and about the same price.

No not really as I would still have to buy credit which if I do now I pay the same over 2yrs for less data and minutes etc.

But i have the phone now, Ill just do 3pay 20euro a month and it should be plenty.

I used google, all my contacts are synced online (in the "cloud").

Tried that, but does not work for me... Google contacts seems to be for bigger countries only...

• Advertisement

Dammer - I dont think so. You just had to sign into google on your android and set it to sync and then pop in the new sim and sync again and thats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dammer wrote: »
    Tried that, but does not work for me... Google contacts seems to be for bigger countries only...
    No.It works everywhere. Its the 1st thing that went into Android

Google services, including contacts, are major selling points for Android, I'd be very disappointed if they didn't work.. but they do.

leemaree wrote: »

Just looking at that, it doesn't make any sense.... to unlock all you need to do is power up with a different SIM in and it will ask you for the unlock code.

Without the correct code for your specific phone, you can't unlock.

Dammer - I dont think so. You just had to sign into google on your android and set it to sync and then pop in the new sim and sync again and thats it.

Thanks but tried that, and its saying there is a problem with google syncing my contacts and it's asking me to do a reset as other applications are associated to my gmail account.

is there are other ways to do a contact transfer? Any other ideas guys...

I can't even do a trusty select all contacts and bluetooth over!

Replace the word CODE with the numeric unlocking code you have.

Have to ask, where did you get the unlock code from?

I would assume the code is the unlocking code that Vodafone would release when the contract is up. however apparently this phone is very easy to unlock without the code but you probably need to root it first, google around and you'll find instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

has anyone had any problems adding a facebook account to samsungs social hub? i keep getting a login failed, try again message

also, is there a way to link phone contacts to facebook contacts, i had the htc desire and i was able to link them all in sense, it showed peoples facebook picture in their contact details on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 24 smcnena

has anyone had any problems adding a facebook account to samsungs social hub? i keep getting a login failed, try again message

also, is there a way to link phone contacts to facebook contacts, i had the htc desire and i was able to link them all in sense, it showed peoples facebook picture in their contact details on the phone

I added my facebook account through Settings->Accounts and Sync.
    Once its added, click on it, you will have options to sync contacts, calendar and messages.

Having problems trying to setup my Yahoo account myself......doesn't seem to want to work:confused:

This is scary..people are disappearing all around us....lol

• Advertisement

thanks, i managed to add facebook, although when i link my phone contacts to facebook, the facebook profile pictures for some of my contacts arent visible, its strange because most of the show.

has anyone had any luck registering facebook with the social hub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Okay, Just got rid of my iPhone 4 to get a samsung galaxy s II

Must say im loving this phone so far, The speed of it is unreal.

Does anyone have any tips or even links to tips on bettering the battery and pretty much any must have apps.

Haven't really used android in the past but i have since rooted it and have superuser abilties, So really just looking for the best things to get the most out of the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

I'm also having trouble with the Facebook contacts thing. All my contacts were in gmail and I synced them over to the new phone. I can sync with Facebook but then it duplicates all my contacts in the phonebook and adds in photos for Facebook friends who's number I don't even have!

All I want is to see a photo for existing contacts without all the other stuff, any way of doing this without creating duplicates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Just moved from a Desire to Galaxy S 2. Is there a way to transfer your texts from one phone to the other?

Just moved from a Desire to Galaxy S 2. Is there a way to transfer your texts from one phone to the other?

Try backing up your text with Google, then sign in onto SGS2....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Are there any apps that take advantage of the two cores fully yet?
    It's like I know it's super fast at some things but I feel with the right apps it could be so much better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Supposedly, the current Android firmware does not utilize both cores yet....it is rumored that 2.3.4 will.....but I am not sure. It is also rumored that 2.3.4 will release tomorrow.

god's toy wrote: »
    Are there any apps that take advantage of the two cores fully yet?
    It's like I know it's super fast at some things but I feel with the right apps it could be so much better!

There is a free app in the market which copies all your txts to the SD card.

"SMS Backup & Restore"

Install the app on both phones,

Backup your txts onto the SD card thats mounted on your Desire,

When they are backed up pop the SD card into your GSII

Use the app on your GSII to restore your txts

Also you will have to rename the folder through the menu button when the app is open as when you go to restore it looks in a different folder something like /sdcard/external_sd/SMSBackupRestore/ as the Desire file structure is different to the GSII

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

There is a free app in the market which copies all your txts to the SD card.

"SMS Backup & Restore"

Install the app on both phones,

Backup your txts onto the SD card thats mounted on your Desire,

When they are backed up pop the SD card into your GSII

Use the app on your GSII to restore your txts

Also you will have to rename the folder through the menu button when the app is open as when you go to restore it looks in a different folder something like /sdcard/external_sd/SMSBackupRestore/ as the Desire file structure is different to the GSII

Thanks Dammer. I'll give it a lash now and let ye know how I get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Was in local Vodafone shop, and they wont sell me the S2 on prepay, they said they only have them on bill pay, and prepay ones wont be in stock for a couple of weeks.
    Gonna have to try online and see if i can get it that way

If anyone is having a problem with transferring contacts. (Android phone to android phone that is!)

Install GO Contacts on both phones.

Use the app to backup your contacts to your SD card from your original phone.

Insert SD card into GSII

Use GO Contacts to import your contacts, also this transfer is visible to the stock contact application as well, so once you are happy you can remove GO Contacts, if you want. Used this as Google sync is not working for me...

• Advertisement

I can't understand how/why Google contacts isn't working for you, that process sounds like a PITA.

http://www.google.com/contacts is all I ever use...

has anyone who hasnt rooted their phone been able to update to ke7, does anyone know why we cant update, im stuck on ke2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Just a quick one lads, there seems to be a few different methods around to root the SGS2, just wondering which method is the best? Also, some say they will wipe data and others say they won't, on the off chance data does get wiped, will I have to enter the vodafone details for mobile internet again?

Cheers

I can't understand how/why Google contacts isn't working for you, that process sounds like a PITA.

http://www.google.com/contacts is all I ever use...

It's more common then you think... search for "google sync unavailable error"

has anyone who hasnt rooted their phone been able to update to ke7, does anyone know why we cant update, im stuck on ke2

Have you read this link?

Hope you like BBC iPlayer ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

Rooted and unlocked this from Vodafone to use my Meteor sim. Now I can't recieve MMS messages. They come through, but don't download. Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

for contact... just delete your google acc (contact>menu>more>accounts) then turn off the phone, on it again try add it again... makesure you tick sync contacts... it will take about acouples of minute to sync if you in wifi but longer if in less signal 3g. It worked for me, fully sync about half an hour later...

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

I've just moved to the SGS2 from an iPhone 3G and I'm finding that the sound from the headphones is really low - at max volume in the main music app with all the eq bands set to maximum, it's about 2/3 as loud or less as my old phone.

Is this everybody else's experience or do I have a faulty handset? In my view, I the maximum volume should be almost too loud for normal listening.

I would also say again to try to get google contacts working, it is painless.

So painless I didnt really pay too much attention to it after the initial setup and when i switched sims a week after.

It is one of the major strong points to android.

Ill be rooting this on saturday, any decent roms that use gingerbread for the s2?

Sound could be a lot better, but the sound is horrible - what the hell did it do to the bass drum on "what" by a tribe called quest.
    In general its lower than my ipod, playing the same file. Some files are lower, so it may be the file not the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Has anyone tried 1080p video recording, i did and its nit that great.Has anyone found the optimal settings for the camera?

• Advertisement
Advertisement