Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Dammer wrote: »
    There is a free app in the market which copies all your txts to the SD card.

"SMS Backup & Restore"

Install the app on both phones,

Backup your txts onto the SD card thats mounted on your Desire,

When they are backed up pop the SD card into your GSII

Use the app on your GSII to restore your txts

Also you will have to rename the folder through the menu button when the app is open as when you go to restore it looks in a different folder something like /sdcard/external_sd/SMSBackupRestore/ as the Desire file structure is different to the GSII
    Worked a treat Dammer. As you said, had to point it to the correct folder as the structure was different but no worries. Cheers man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Did I miss something on that link you posted? I know BBC iPlayer is installed if you flash with the XEU ROM but it still doesn't work - it will still detect your 3G IP range is out of the UK scope and fail - or did you read something different?

Would love to have BBC iPlayer working.

Have you read this link?

Hope you like BBC iPlayer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Rooted and unlocked this from Vodafone to use my Meteor sim. Now I can't recieve MMS messages. They come through, but don't download. Anyone any ideas?

Have you got the correct Meteor MMS APN?

Settings > Wireless & Network > Mobile networks > Access Point Names

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Just got an E-mail from carfonewarehouse. They have the Gs2 now.

I cant send texts since yesterday. I imagine its because my number was also ported yesterday. How do I check the settings:confused:

On Meteor network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

shroomfox wrote: »
    I've just moved to the SGS2 from an iPhone 3G and I'm finding that the sound from the headphones is really low - at max volume in the main music app with all the eq bands set to maximum, it's about 2/3 as loud or less as my old phone.

Is this everybody else's experience or do I have a faulty handset? In my view, I the maximum volume should be almost too loud for normal listening.

In iTunes, you can right click on a file and higher the maximum volume under get info/options. When you sync the track(s) with an iPhone or iPod etc, it'll play at that higher volume level.

With my earphones (iphone4), I only ever need the volume bar about a third of the way up. And just over half way if I'm cooking and have it beside me on speaker!

Does anyone know of a way of carrying this kind of volume 'performance' over to Android devices? I've had 3 previous Android devices and listening to music was a bit annoying at times because of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Got one today and so far I'm very impressed. Nicest phone I've ever used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Have you read this link?

Lads i cant figure this out which one i need:confused:
    Phone is 02 I9100XXKDJ
    XWKE2
    Anybody help?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

boc121 wrote: »
    Phone is 02 I9100XXKDJ
    XWKE2
    Anybody help?
    Cheers.

I used XWKE7/Generic XEU firmware. Then I flashed an insecure kernel from the same website, rooted the phone, and flashed the official KE7 kernel. Your data doesn't get wiped.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Picked this up yesterday and got ported over this morning, time to start getting to grips with it.

Is there any posts or anyone willing to give a quick guide on the important things to get set up on early? Seems like there is a lot of stuff to sync/sign up to. Hear a lot about rooting and roms so will need to look at that too, any good resources for this phone to look through online?

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

am thinking of investing in this phone. anyone know any shops where they have a demo model of it so i can fiddle around with it for a few mins before i buy???

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

Yeah, there's one in Three on Henry st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭leemaree

carphonewarehouse in Dundrum S.C or Vodafone in Dun Laoghaire or three on henry st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

leemaree wrote: »
    carphonewarehouse in Dundrum S.C or Vodafone in Dun Laoghaire or three on henry st

When I got my sgs2 in Three Dun Laoghaire I asked the lads behind the counter if they only pushed the Crapple device, they said 'not at all, We support whatever the costumer is interested in' I said well right now Three are making a bid deal about Crapple and all I see around me here today is Crapple ads, you may want to put up a demo Android, SGS-2 or something, if only to let people know there is more on offer than just those guys. They agreed but somehow I cant seeing anything changing in that store any time soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Have you read this link?

Hope you like BBC iPlayer ;)

thanks but is theres a way to get ke7 without having to root the phone, im not very good at the technical stuff and am afraid of breaking the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Yes read the linked webpage.

I did not root my phone and I installed KE7 with odin as per instructions on that link.

• Advertisement

anoble66 wrote: »
    Did I miss something on that link you posted? I know BBC iPlayer is installed if you flash with the XEU ROM but it still doesn't work - it will still detect your 3G IP range is out of the UK scope and fail - or did you read something different?

Would love to have BBC iPlayer working.

Could not get it working myself
    I think you will need an english SIM/USIM for it to work here.

boc121 wrote: »
    Phone is 02 I9100XXKDJ
    XWKE2
    Anybody help?
    Cheers.

DISCLAIMER I take no responsibility if you decide to follow the below advice. :D

Look for the part of the page that says

"Flashing Firmware with Odin"

Slightly before that is the firmware KE7, there are a few versions. I used the generic Europe XEU.

You need samsumg PC studio installed as some of the drivers are needed. Also have a look at the embedded youtube video. yes it is in Italian, but you see the steps involved.

Do you have any techie friends to help you?

erie wrote: »
    for contact... just delete your google acc (contact>menu>more>accounts) then turn off the phone, on it again try add it again... makesure you tick sync contacts... it will take about acouples of minute to sync if you in wifi but longer if in less signal 3g. It worked for me, fully sync about half an hour later...

Tried that already, it will not delete as it says my account is needed for some applications and that I need to reset the phone..

Believe me I've tried everything... In the end Go Contacts sorted it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

thanks but is theres a way to get ke7 without having to root the phone, im not very good at the technical stuff and am afraid of breaking the phone

I couldn't believe how easy it was to root the s2 composers to the desire. Literally download, plugin and run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Vodafone are out of stock on the pre-pay models according to the website, shame beacuse they were the cheapest by far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Anyone else's Galaxy S II been randomly shutting down and/or restarting?

Noticed this a bit over the past few days, thought I was accidentally holding the power button in in my pocket, but I don't think it's that. Saw it shut off today for no reason at all. Battery was charged.

Saw a thread here on it too: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1118262

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 waynecur

Hi all,

Just got my s2 after year and half with frustrating iphone(jailbroken).

As an avid downloader, i tried with apps for android.

So downloaded tons of apps from web and installed on phone. some work, some don't.

Just wondering if i rooted my phone would more of them work.... as in do i need to root my phone to get best experience of torrent apps.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Have you tried downloading apps from the market?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

seanp_25 wrote: »
    Anyone else's Galaxy S II been randomly shutting down and/or restarting?

Saw a thread here on it too: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1118262

Over the last two weeks my S2 has shut down four times without reason and will not start unless i first remove the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

got it afew days ago from CarPhoneWarehouse on 3 contract...

me unboxing : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XruCDrjN98Q

and tested it using vodafone sim... guest what happened... unlock/lock... here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edIazqUj0mk

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Well folks i just purchased the s2 from meteor on a 12 month contract. have to say im well impressed :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

foobar wrote: »
    Over the last two weeks my S2 has shut down four times without reason and will not start unless i first remove the battery.

Seems to be an issue with Samsung i would say. A lot of people with the Nexus S have the same problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

foobar that's not the device shutting down, that's it crashing (serious crash, not "force close" app type crash). Hopefully software update will fix. Happens to me on Nexus S with google music sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Lads
    anyone know if or how to get the cisco anyconnect vpn client working on this? does it have to be installed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Removed all o2 branding using this [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1064894]handy guide[/URL], much easier than I thought.

However i still cant remove some apps, although the o2 ones (like o2 money and o2 store) are gone stuff like Games Hub is still there with no Uninstall option that I can see/find.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

You will have to root and remove them from the /system/app folder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Tempted to get one of these on PAYG with Meteor. Is it worth buying or should I wait for the iPhone to come out on Meteor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

foobar wrote: »

Yeah I get that too. Once every few weeks maybe. Pain in the hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

nm wrote: »
    Removed all o2 branding using this [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1064894]handy guide[/URL], much easier than I thought.

However i still cant remove some apps, although the o2 ones (like o2 money and o2 store) are gone stuff like Games Hub is still there with no Uninstall option that I can see/find.

Any ideas?

Not sure what guide you used it wont open for me but if you flash stock KE7 rom via odin it should remove any 02 app's on there. No need to root either.

5500 wrote: »
    Not sure what guide you used it wont open for me but if you flash stock KE7 rom via odin it should remove any 02 app's on there. No need to root either.

Sorry here is the link http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1064894

Yea, it has removed all the obvious o2 ones but theres some stuff still there I cant seem to get rid of. I'll keep trying, maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Have you tried a factory reset after flashing the rom? Also im not sure if thats KE1 or 7 that you flashed. In settings/about phone what does the last tab say? If its gingerbread KE1/2 download KE7 from here - http://www.multiupload.com/IBRBHDUDXI

And flash the same way you did before in Odin, also do a factory reset once installed and see how you get on.

Cheers, i checked it there and it doesnt have a version number it just says GINGERBREAD.XWKDD - would that imply its KE1 ?

Also is there a way to stop the phone automatically changing messages from SMS to MMS as I type them after a certain number of characters? I think I had this same issue with a HD2 previously. Annoying, as SMS will be included in most package plans but MMS arent included in any, its charging unnecessarily.

thanks again for any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

baz2009 wrote: »
    Tempted to get one of these on PAYG with Meteor. Is it worth buying or should I wait for the iPhone to come out on Meteor?

unless you're waiting for the iphone 5, get the sgs2, the iphone 4 is of an older generation

nm wrote: »
    Cheers, i checked it there and it doesnt have a version number it just says GINGERBREAD.XWKDD - would that imply its KE1 ?

Also is there a way to stop the phone automatically changing messages from SMS to MMS as I type them after a certain number of characters? I think I had this same issue with a HD2 previously. Annoying, as SMS will be included in most package plans but MMS arent included in any, its charging unnecessarily.

thanks again for any advice

Yep thats KE1, flash the firmware in the link I posted above for starters. Your options re mms are either root the phone or install a custom rom or else install handcent or gosms from the market which will also stop messages being changed to mms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

baz2009 wrote: »

Galaxy S2 is a far superior phone to the Crapple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

Amen to the post above saying SGS2 > iphone. I came to this device from an iphone 3gs and it makes the iphone look like a POS! The three stand-out advantages for me:

Big beautiful display (iphone looks so washed out in comprison)

Battery life is amazing once you block the Samsung "Hub" apps and turn off auto-sync on most other apps. After a full day's use yesterday, I still had half a battery left this morning!

No more iTunes!! Yippee! It is such a joy to be able to mount my phone as a USB mass storage device and quickly copy over my divx files, avis etc. And it plays everything without the need for prior conversion, and the videos looks gorgeous on the super AMOLED screen.

Very happy bunny here as you can probably tell! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Had a play with a Galaxy S2 yesterday.Smashing to work with with a cracking screen.Very easy to go through the menus.Also looked at a Windows 7 phone.Didn't do it for me at all. Not saying Windows 7 is bad or anything like that but there;s no comparison between the two operating systems,at least for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Of course this phone is better than so 3gs and even an iphone 4, it is substantially newer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Biffoland

I bought the samsung galaxy s2 about 2 weeks ago. I'm having alot of trouble connecting to my UPC wifi account. The phone authorizes the account, then a message saying 'disabled' appears under the wifi settings. I'm not having any problems connecting to my parents wifi, which is eircom. I'm using a netgear router. Is anyone else having this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Try telling it to forget the network and add it again. Also, if your network SSID is "NETGEAR" that may cause problems when connecting to other networks with the same name as the settings will not match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

Biffoland wrote: »
    I bought the samsung galaxy s2 about 2 weeks ago. I'm having alot of trouble connecting to my UPC wifi account. The phone authorizes the account, then a message saying 'disabled' appears under the wifi settings. I'm not having any problems connecting to my parents wifi, which is eircom. I'm using a netgear router. Is anyone else having this problem?

Maybe too many devices connected to the same router? Or try to play with wep etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

It's so funny I called samsung sh1tsung few days ago and I was called immature.....I didn't see the same person making any comments on the other person calling apple, crapple :D Sorry for ot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Ardent wrote: »
    Amen to the post above saying SGS2 > iphone. I came to this device from an iphone 3gs and it makes the iphone look like a POS! The three stand-out advantages for me:

Big beautiful display (iphone looks so washed out in comprison)

Battery life is amazing once you block the Samsung "Hub" apps and turn off auto-sync on most other apps. After a full day's use yesterday, I still had half a battery left this morning!

No more iTunes!! Yippee! It is such a joy to be able to mount my phone as a USB mass storage device and quickly copy over my divx files, avis etc. And it plays everything without the need for prior conversion, and the videos looks gorgeous on the super AMOLED screen.

Very happy bunny here as you can probably tell! :D

alas, about 2 trillion people are still brain washed with i tunes and i phones and i pods/pads/wads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Of course this phone is better than so 3gs and even an iphone 4, it is substantially newer.

in fairness a SGS mark 1 is better than an iphone 3gs..

sans the camera perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I dont like derailing threads, anyway I just pointed out of course this phone is better than the 3gs and the iphone it is much much newer. (typed on my macbook pro….)

Different strokes for different strokes. The one thing ive never gotten is the itunes hate, I really like it.

I couldnt possible point out every times someone uses a very bad play on words badmouthing apple, nor would i want to even if i could tbh :).

Anyone annotate pdfs on the s2 or any android device? Looking for an app, preferably a good one to make notes on pdfs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement