Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Anywhere to buy online/elsewhere thats cheaper than the Irish providers?

Thanks in advance.

you might get lucky on eBay UK ive seen 1 Galaxy S2 sell for £380 but in general your looking at an average of £420 that's around €480 but cheaper that what the Irish networks are selling on PAYG, oh yeah check out the adverts section on Boards ive seen some selling for €480.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Cheers jonnny, will do...

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

Thor wrote: »
    I got two of these ones here(Black one and a blue one)

http://cgi.ebay.ie/TPU-Silicone-Gel-case-Samsung-Galaxy-S-II-i9100-/280689837527?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesPouches&hash=item415a6b05d7#ht_727wt_1139

Must say, They are very nice case's, I know they are made on the cheap but believe me when I say, They don't show it.

Very smooth and a perfect fit.

Also the guy is in Dublin, So that's a plus for shipping and speed. Not bad for the few euro.

==============================================

Thanks great... but the item ended already... found the same here : http://cgi.ebay.ie/Clear-Silicone-TPU-Case-Samsung-i9100-Galaxy-S2-/270738255885 but in UK (end in 20days)... not to sure it post from UK, most cheap thing I bought over ebay shipped from HK/China even their listed in UK.

Like clear one... coz don't want to hide this beautiful looking phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lordfranto

Hi all got my s2 on launch day, very happy cept for 2 issues! 1. overheating, at times the phone gets really hot freezes up or becomes very sluggish and then boon the battery is dead! 2. the phone is really slow transfering files onto my external sd (32gb class 6 san disk) or wont transfer at all and sometimes this leads to overheating freezing.and battery drain! Anyone got similar experiences or a possible fix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Lordfranto wrote: »
    Hi all got my s2 on launch day, very happy cept for 2 issues! 1. overheating, at times the phone gets really hot freezes up or becomes very sluggish and then boon the battery is dead! 2. the phone is really slow transfering files onto my external sd (32gb class 6 san disk) or wont transfer at all and sometimes this leads to overheating freezing.and battery drain! Anyone got similar experiences or a possible fix?

I would suggest you take it back.Phones will get slightly warm sometimes but should never overheat or freeze up.Sounds like you have a problem phone.Have you changed anything in the phone or is it as it came out of the box ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lordfranto

The phone is fairly much as it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Looking at getting once of these once it's released.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/genuine-samsung-galaxy-s2-i9100-extended-battery-case-p28950.htm

Would extend the battery and over protection as its a case aswell.

Not sure, But I believe the second picture is wrong as it doesn't look like its for the GS2.

Must say though, It would be a great accessory to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Got the case mate tough case from Amazon and I am extremely happy with it. If you want heavy duty protection for your phone - get it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I will definitely be buying the bigger extended battery, as it will still be plenty thin and light

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Lordfranto wrote: »
    The phone is fairly much as it was

As I said you should take it back to where you bought it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Thor wrote: »
    Looking at getting once of these once it's released.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/genuine-samsung-galaxy-s2-i9100-extended-battery-case-p28950.htm

Would extend the battery and over protection as its a case aswell.

Not sure, But I believe the second picture is wrong as it doesn't look like its for the GS2.

Must say though, It would be a great accessory to have.

I had one of those for my sgs and it worked really well. Going to get one for the g2

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

I will definitely be buying the bigger extended battery, as it will still be plenty thin and light

me too... feel like a toy

Well yes it will give it a more solid feel, but this battery is not really lasting me a day as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Tomo87

Testament1 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting either this or an iPhone in the coming weeks. Never had a smartphone before (current phone is a Samsung ToccoLite), is the S2 easy to use for someone who wouldnt be a techie?? Looking through some of the posts on here and I dont really know what ye're on about with all the talk of kernels and roms and rooting! :o

Also I'm thinking of switching from prepay to bill pay. I like the idea of Meteors Smart35 plan, 12 month contract but I'm unsure of the 1GB limit on data/internet. How quickly would you use that up with regular use?

was on exactly same boat went with SG2 when it came out very happy with phone, am told it kicks IPhone ass for display and processor power too moved to meteor billpay, be sure to ask them in store for the online plan price so you get the smart 35 plan for 30euro p/m. have gone over the data this month because of extra use when getting something new, puttin on apps and i didn get full allowance as started bill in middle of billing period but have been told that 1gb is plenty, altho my source for that info may not have had a phone so good for web browsing! get used to charging daily tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Has anyone bought theirs in CPW on Meteor? Just looking for a heads up on the pricing. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Yep got mine in CPW on Meteor,

Got it for 169.99 as I traded in an old phone and got 80 for it. If I had of traded in my HTC Desire I would have got it for 99.99, in other words 150 off for the Desire.

The CPW magazine gives a list price of trading in phones. Desire gets you 150, N95 gets you 80.00 etc etc, but you can only trade 1 phone per contract.

But its probably better to take the hit upfront and recoup the money by selling your phone on adverts.ie, you'd get more for it there...

My Desire is going on adverts soon....

Dammer wrote: »
    Yep got mine in CPW on Meteor,

Got it for 169.99 as I traded in an old phone and got 80 for it. If I had of traded in my HTC Desire I would have got it for 99.99, in other words 150 off for the Desire.

The CPW magazine gives a list price of trading in phones. Desire gets you 150, N95 gets you 80.00 etc etc, but you can only trade 1 phone per contract.

But its probably better to take the hit upfront and recoup the money by selling your phone on adverts.ie, you'd get more for it there...

My Desire is going on adverts soon....

tl;dr - €249.99? :D

Thanks, sold my Desire already. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭LostInDharma

Is it just me but when I record video on the phone and hold the phone is the normal upright position, when I play it back on PC its shifted by 90'. To get playback as normal I need to hold the phone tilted by 90' , in the landscape position.

Am I missing a setting here ? I hope so as its a pain.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Don't hold the phone upright when you record video?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Is it just me but when I record video on the phone and hold the phone is the normal upright position, when I play it back on PC its shifted by 90'. To get playback as normal I need to hold the phone tilted by 90' , in the landscape position.

Thanks

How do you find the quality of the video, Im a bit disapointed

• Advertisement

Baza210 wrote: »
    Don't hold the phone upright when you record video?

why waste your energy replying with such a stupid answer :rolleyes::rolleyes:

wingnut32 wrote: »
    How do you find the quality of the video, Im a bit disapointed

i think its quite good, very happy tbh. I know its not as good as a high end camcorder but very good for a phone.

Thanks

Do you have orientation detection switched on? (or something, just guessing..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Thanks

I could be wrong, but this might have to do with the resoulution. I think your recording in full hd which is 1920 by 1080 i think, so maybe its because its a wide screen lens which,when in full hd mode, cant rotate. Did you try recording using a lower resolution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

why waste your energy replying with such a stupid answer :rolleyes::rolleyes:

How is that a stupid answer? The phone's image sensor is oriented for use in landscape mode.

Ye its got something to do with the way the video is being captured and the way it therefore expects to be played.
    I remember reading something on youtube when someone uploaded a video where they held the phone upright and therefore in playback it had black bars on each side because of the difference.

you cant get the new swype beta if your phone came installed with swype

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

So I got the the S2 and thanks to the info in this thread I have it rooted. Going to disable some of the Samsung apps that I won't use.

Was looking at some SMS apps so far. Only now using android for 3 days so what else should I be doing/installing?

Should I root and flash a vanilla rom on this phone to see if the battery gets better or try to send it back for a new one?

6-8 hours for a battery still seems very low.

• Advertisement

Should I root and flash a vanilla rom on this phone to see if the battery gets better or try to send it back for a new one?

6-8 hours for a battery still seems very low.

Send it back. Or at least raise the issue and allow a few more days to test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Ordered from 3 last night, 40 quid a month on a 24 month contract, phone for free... Anybody want to buy a three week old desire HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dawidnowak2005

hi im new in android stuff, and have big problem with galaxy s2. phone was branded to 3 ie network, i flashed it by odin to ke7, and now my menu button not work at all. Are anybody have orginal branded 3ie firmware? pls help thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

hi im new in android stuff, and have big problem with galaxy s2. phone was branded to 3 ie network, i flashed it by odin to ke7, and now my menu button not work at all. Are anybody have orginal branded 3ie firmware? pls help thanks

I put the generic KE7 on my Vodafone one without any bother. Did you check all the steps again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭5500

Do a factory reset or flash the rom again.

Using titanium backup ive frozen just the samsung hub apps and wifi sharing and Im getting nearly 48hours without charge from my battery on KE7, I cant complain at all

thanks for replys, i made factory reset and installed rom again. all work beside menu button. i think have faulty phone. for warranty reason need 3ie frimware back. any solutions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

BenEadir wrote: »
    https://market.android.com/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.controlapp&feature=search_result this app works great on the SGSI, not sure if it's working on the SGSII though.

Ben

Cheers mate, I'll look into that.

5500 wrote: »
    Do a factory reset or flash the rom again.

Using titanium backup ive frozen just the samsung hub apps and wifi sharing and Im getting nearly 48hours without charge from my battery on KE7, I cant complain at all

Exactly how would I freeze the hub apps and wifi using titanium?

Send it back. Or at least raise the issue and allow a few more days to test.

Yeah. I'll have to go to them tomorrow, luckily I'm still.using my g1 as a phone. I imagine this is going to be hassle and will take a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭5500

thanks for replys, i made factory reset and installed rom again. all work beside menu button. i think have faulty phone. for warranty reason need 3ie frimware back. any solutions?

So the menu button was ok untill you flashed the phone?
    What guide did you follow to flash? Maby its a bad rom or flash problem, if you didnt already follow this link and downloand and install generic XEU KE7 here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1075278

@Wingnut32, open Titanium, click on the backup/restore tab, select the process you want to freeze ie wifi sharing, and a tab pops up with freeze/delete ect. Just click on freeze and its done, you can always unfreeze it then anytime you wish.

yes used firmware from xda, hah nothing help i will try now again. im so sad cant play with phone, cant bring in shop without 3 firmware ahh :(

• Advertisement

yes menu button was work fine before flashing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I recieved my Case Mate Tough case today. I must say, its fits very well and It feels like it will withstand a drop or two.:)

5500 wrote: »
    So the menu button was ok untill you flashed the phone?
    What guide did you follow to flash? Maby its a bad rom or flash problem, if you didnt already follow this link and downloand and install generic XEU KE7 here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1075278

@Wingnut32, open Titanium, click on the backup/restore tab, select the process you want to freeze ie wifi sharing, and a tab pops up with freeze/delete ect. Just click on freeze and its done, you can always unfreeze it then anytime you wish.

thanks!

Its looks like my galaxy is broken, flashed again and same. I bougt it from phone shop in limerick when was in trip with family. its prepay 3ie, can i go to my local carphone werhouse shop? I live in newbridge co kikdare and hire is no 3 shop, and dont plan travel ti limerick any time soon. Anybody know how its look with warranty in samsung? Will get new phone straight or will must wait for get it fixed? Thanks

Its looks like my galaxy is broken, flashed again and same. I bougt it from phone shop in limerick when was in trip with family. its prepay 3ie, can i go to my local carphone werhouse shop? I live in newbridge co kikdare and hire is no 3 shop, and dont plan travel ti limerick any time soon. Anybody know how its look with warranty in samsung? Will get new phone straight or will must wait for get it fixed? Thanks

It isn't a physical button, though is it? I'd still be suspicious of the software...

This has to be worth a go (SGS1) -

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=963637

Yep you right is not phisical, but those solution not work. Are someone can tell me what was stock firmware for galaxy s2 in 3ie? thanks for replys

Did they all have 3ie firmware? What about contacting Samsung direct for warranty repair?

Im cofused about all this warranty , got phone from phone shop in prepay 3ie network, not sure what suppouse to do, great start with android system hehe

not all have 3ie firmware, just this one bought from 3ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Try this link, it has a link to the official Three UK branded firmware....should still work and it will still show as three branded upon boot which is what they will look for.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1113928

• Advertisement
Advertisement