Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dawidnowak2005

Tryed this before. its showing 3 logo but under is tree.uk :( thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

not all have 3ie firmware, just this one bought from 3ie

I meant did all the 3 prepay phones have 3ie firmware, some Vodafone ones were generic AFAIK.

Call Samsung, I always dealt directly with HTC when I had warranty issues as the shop said they would only really be acting as a go-between.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Made the jump from iPhone to S2, and so far, very impressed! Love the beautiful screen, and have managed to find aldroid alternatives for all my apps which was one of my major concerns.

Will play with it for another few days before giving a definitive judgement ...

But one thing that I cannot figure...on my iphone I disabled 3G to preserve battery life, but even with 3G disabled, I could still connect to internet/email etc, albeit very slowly! However on the S2 you only get the option of GMS only or WCDMA and if you select GPS, no network data gets through...anyone know if its possible to turn off 3g but keep data services?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Made the jump from iPhone to S2, and so far, very impressed! Love the beautiful screen, and have managed to find aldroid alternatives for all my apps which was one of my major concerns.

Will play with it for another few days before giving a definitive judgement ...

But one thing that I cannot figure...on my iphone I disabled 3G to preserve battery life, but even with 3G disabled, I could still connect to internet/email etc, albeit very slowly! However on the S2 you only get the option of GMS only or WCDMA and if you select GPS, no network data gets through...anyone know if its possible to turn off 3g but keep data services?

Yes, you just need to switch off data while switching from 3G to 2G, after that you can switch back on data, and should get GPRS/EDGE, don't know why data needs to be switched off to do this, didn't on first Galaxy S

Mark in mobile network settings - "use packet data".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

What is the minimum battery life people have gotten out of this phone?
    Especially people who use it heavily.

6-8 hours (except when in sleep mode with all service off) doesnt seem in any way right to me.

Same for me, after 9hrs of medium use(bit of internet,few minutes of angry birds,few calls, email) left 10% of battery, but i messed with all this firmwares,kernels. Still cant fix my menu button:( I belive when will sort all this firmwares will be better, if no i wil buy one more battery. I like this phone after all:)

Ye its a great phone - but everyone seems to get at least twice the battery life on "heavy to medium use" so either its a dud or people are bull****ting or have a very different view of what use actually is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Thor wrote: »
    Looking at getting once of these once it's released.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/genuine-samsung-galaxy-s2-i9100-extended-battery-case-p28950.htm

Would extend the battery and over protection as its a case aswell.

Not sure, But I believe the second picture is wrong as it doesn't look like its for the GS2.

Must say though, It would be a great accessory to have.

looks to be released 55 pounds not including postage, bit steep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Headshot wrote: »
    looks to be released 55 pounds not including postage, bit steep

Very steep.maybe someone will come up with a generic version ?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

Just got my tough-case, good initial impression. Would definitely recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Does anyone remember what the PAYG price was with Vodafone before they ran out of stock? (Online)

Going to my local Vodafone shop tomorow anyway to see what the situation is.

Does anyone remember what the PAYG price was with Vodafone before they ran out of stock? (Online)

Going to my local Vodafone shop tomorow anyway to see what the situation is.

€459 porting, €479 new connection. Fatcheese rebate €20 now I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

Its looks like my galaxy is broken, flashed again and same. I bougt it from phone shop in limerick when was in trip with family. its prepay 3ie, can i go to my local carphone werhouse shop? I live in newbridge co kikdare and hire is no 3 shop, and dont plan travel ti limerick any time soon. Anybody know how its look with warranty in samsung? Will get new phone straight or will must wait for get it fixed? Thanks

If you have flashed a non Samsung software onto it you have voided your warranty so Samsung wouldnt replace or fix the handset as its not their fault its now not working ( same with any manufacturer). You can send it for repair to get it re-flashed to 3ie software however I beleive they charge 120e for a reflash on a handset that has been rooted. If they dont notice it has been rooted you may be lucky and get a quote for 25e.

CPW will send it off for you as long as you bring your receipt from the store you bought it in

Just got two alerts from watchdog lite:

linux process at 99.9%
    and
    events/0 at 84.2%

anyone know what thats all about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

I rooted and unlocked this from Vodafone (to use with Meteor).

Connected to Kies today and got updated from KE2 to KE5. Why wasn't the update to KE7?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I rooted and unlocked this from Vodafone (to use with Meteor).

Connected to Kies today and got updated from KE2 to KE5. Why wasn't the update to KE7?

Might have something to do with the version of your csc(Firmware kernel or something), The version of Vodafone firmware doesn't have KE7 yet. At least i don't think.

At the moment im about to flash VillainROM 1.2, So far word is that it is amazing on the battery life and is still even faster than stock rom.

Will update once its installed and let you know how it does.

Is the wifi constantly scanning for new networks even when connected or is that only happening when you are in settings?

I seem to get slightly more battery or at least the same with wifi on constantly and just use as much as I need to use, maybe i was wasting battery turning it on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Mark in mobile network settings - "use packet data".

Cheers man, that worked, although I had to restart the phone, deactivating network mode did not seem to do it, or perhaps I did not give it enough time!

Either way, I turned to GSM only midway thru the day yesterday, and am still going strong on the same battery charge this morning, sweet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I flashed to KE7 from vodafone rom (the xeu version) and all worked fine. Will take a look at Villianrom - didn't know it was out.
    Thor wrote: »
    Might have something to do with the version of your csc(Firmware kernel or something), The version of Vodafone firmware doesn't have KE7 yet. At least i don't think.

At the moment im about to flash VillainROM 1.2, So far word is that it is amazing on the battery life and is still even faster than stock rom.

Will update once its installed and let you know how it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

What is the minimum battery life people have gotten out of this phone?
    Especially people who use it heavily.

6-8 hours (except when in sleep mode with all service off) doesnt seem in any way right to me.

mine on 3rd day... off charge around 8am then battery low warning at 1pm, very heavy used internet, install apps, youtube and setting up nonstop from 9am-1pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

5500 wrote: »
    Do a factory reset or flash the rom again.

Using titanium backup ive frozen just the samsung hub apps and wifi sharing and Im getting nearly 48hours without charge from my battery on KE7, I cant complain at all

Did the exact same with mine.. 2 days on a single charge.. and that's with decent usage. Very very happy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

unklerosco wrote: »
    Did the exact same with mine.. 2 days on a single charge.. and that's with decent usage. Very very happy!!

Snap. Massive improvement on battery life with.

I'd went to sleep watching the Simpsons on mine last night. After 7hrs I was down to 6%. Which is pretty good given it was playing videos all night!!

i just checked my recipt and phone is still under 30 days old, its that mean i can bring phone to the shop and get money back? its under irish law somewhere about that? i mean i dont like to get this phone repaired, i was pay 575e for it and like to get new one. i didnt root phone, just flashed generic firmware(unbrand). any help? ty

i just checked my recipt and phone is still under 30 days old, its that mean i can bring phone to the shop and get money back? its under irish law somewhere about that? i mean i dont like to get this phone repaired, i was pay 575e for it and like to get new one. i didnt root phone, just flashed generic firmware(unbrand). any help? ty
    If its faulty or broken, yes you can return it to the shop you bought it from.
    Make sure you set it to the default firmware it came it, if they see anything modded they might not take it back.

If its faulty or broken, yes you can return it to the shop you bought it from.
    Make sure you set it to the default firmware it came it, if they see anything modded they might not take it back.
    But it is in any law act? yo know just to make sure i can do that, coz i got phone from limerick and live in newbridge so dont like to drive for nothing, and i was today in carphone warhouse and they told me "we cant replace or even send to repair if you didnt buy from us" i ring to tree ie as well but cs is very bad lol, he told me i have only 14 days for return phone.

28 days to return a phone, providing they find it is defective. That is what the back of my Vodafone receipt says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Just bring it back to the shop and show them the problem, as you said you just flashed Generic KE7, Although Id be saying you used KIES and found the update there rather than Odin!

Worst they can say is no so you may aswell give it a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

But it is in any law act? yo know just to make sure i can do that, coz i got phone from limerick and live in newbridge so dont like to drive for nothing, and i was today in carphone warhouse and they told me "we cant replace or even send to repair if you didnt buy from us" i ring to tree ie as well but cs is very bad lol, he told me i have only 14 days for return phone.

I think the 14 days relates to the cooling down period for contracts, i.e. if you signed a contract on bill pay, you can change your mind within 14 days provided the phone is returned in original condition. Haven't heard of any law about phone being replaced if faulty within 30 days.

5500 wrote: »
    Just bring it back to the shop and show them the problem, as you said you just flashed Generic KE7, Although Id be saying you used KIES and found the update there rather than Odin!

Worst they can say is no so you may aswell give it a try
    Yeap i will try tomorrow, worst think is i must drive to limerick, and live in newbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Im having battery issues too. took the phone off charge at 9am. have used the internet a good bit and texts cause Im in hospital, but already i need to charge it.

One of the main reasons i got this phone was for the battery, but it seems to be just as bad or even worse than my desire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

tipperary wrote: »
    I think the 14 days relates to the cooling down period for contracts, i.e. if you signed a contract on bill pay, you can change your mind within 14 days provided the phone is returned in original condition. Haven't heard of any law about phone being replaced if faulty within 30 days.
    Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980. If a product becomes faulty within a reasonable time period (exact period of time not stated, but would most likely be taken to be at least one year in this case), the retailer you bought it from must offer a repair, replacement or refund (the law doesn't state whether you or the retailer decides which one). If a repair is carried out, it must be permanent, i.e. if the product develops the same fault again a refund or replacement must be offered.

The '30 days for a refund' policy that the phone companies have has no basis in law, although in practice if it's been more than 30 days and they offer a repair first, you'll get further if you accept this initially.

The 'must be returned 3 times for repair before we'll offer a replacement or refund' policy also has no basis in law and won't stand up in the Small Claims Court. Get it repaired once and no more for the same fault.

Of course, if you damage the phone yourself by flashing dodgy software, you haven't got a leg to stand on.

Im having battery issues too. took the phone off charge at 9am. have used the internet a good bit and texts cause Im in hospital, but already i need to charge it.

One of the main reasons i got this phone was for the battery, but it seems to be just as bad or even worse than my desire

Ye I have the same issue, it doesnt seem to be happening to a lot of people. I only get on average 8 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pinapples

Anyone successfully debranded a three S2 (3IE) to a Samsung stock firmware (XEU)?

I'm tempted to do it to get the upgrades a bit quicker, but I'm reluctant to do it until there's a 3IE firmware available on the Samsung servers.

Edit:
    Ah I went ahead anyway, what the hell! Went to I9100XWKE1_I9100XXKDJ_I9100XEUKD1. Kies picked up the update for KE7 and upgraded without any problems. The new firmware had some very slightly different APN settings for 3 IRL. I'd suggest you make a note of the APN settings on the 3 branded firmware before you change your firmware. You can always add them back in afterwards after you upgrade :)

3 network users should be aware of a couple of things -
    I'm guessing a bit here, so feel free to correct me...
    3 has an agreement with vodafone to use their GSM network for calls & data if you roam outside of 3's 3G network (they don't have their own GSM). If you look at the available networks in Wireless settings, you can see that your 3 SIM renames the vodafone network to 3! As a result you don't even know that your actually roaming when you switch to the vodafone network, which happens automatically when you leave the actual 3 network's coverage. Now in the 3 branded firmware's network settings, you can see an option for

a. no data roaming
    b. data roam only on national networks (default)
    c. data roaming on any network

I'm guessing option b allows you to go on to vodafone IRL for data, but will still prevent you from data roaming on an international network. If you go to samsung stock firmwares, that option disappears. You only get a and c. I'm not sure if you need c to get data on the IRL vodafone GSM network, but it would explain the extra option in 3's branded firmware. If you tick c (and i'm not 100% sure you need that to get data on vodafone GSM, hopefully the 3 SIM sees it as a home network), you might want to bear it in mind if you leave the country!

If anyone knows any more about this, please let us know!

Is the Vodafone PAYG port the best deal (€449 - €12.50 Fatcheese) out there on this phone right now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Pinapples wrote: »
    a. no data roaming
    b. data roam only on national networks (default)
    c. data roaming on any network*!

If you want to use 3 like home in the UK or the north then you need to select option C otherwise it won't roam on 3uk data. Instead you can rely on your my3 roaming settings to block paying for expensive data roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Ye I have the same issue, it doesnt seem to be happening to a lot of people. I only get on average 8 hours.

What are you gonna do? I don't know whether to flash the phone or try exchange for another galaxy s2.

I know nothing about rooting or flashing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

What are you gonna do? I don't know whether to flash the phone or try exchange for another galaxy s2.

You should check out this man, its still early days for the SGS2, give it time and it will eventually get to the stage SGS1 is at, :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

personally I would take it back, they might want to send it off to their repair center to put the battery on a 24hr test which would be a pita....but, to me it sounds faulty and if it were me, it would niggle away at the back of my mind that I should of at least tried a new phone whilst I had the chance.

• Advertisement

Ye, it'll niggle away at me too.

I dont know, if there wasnt all the reports of 20 hours with wifi and 12 hours use that engadget said and seems to be the general usage people get I would leave it.

It will be a PITA to get them to check it, and they could easily find the 10 hours acceptable, or depending on their tests get 24 hours and I wouldnt have any come back.

Anyone know of a good charging/sync dock for the S2?

Some of the ones on amazon have very mixed reviews.

got it replaced, happy days!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Jesus, the contacts in the Messaging app is such fail!! Anyway to limit the list to Google phone contacts only - and exclude all the email addresses that ever sent me a message in Gmail???!!

Ardent wrote: »
    Jesus, the contacts in the Messaging app is such fail!! Anyway to limit the list to Google phone contacts only - and exclude all the email addresses that ever sent me a message in Gmail???!!

Go here and edit your contacts -

https://www.google.com/contacts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

In contacts use the bottom left button to open a menu, select 'more' then 'display options' , the top option is 'Only display contacts with phone numbers'.7

• Advertisement

Go here and edit your contacts -

https://www.google.com/contacts

The problem is that the messaging app shows "All Contacts" by default. That's the problem right there.

fguinan wrote: »
    In contacts use the bottom left button to open a menu, select 'more' then 'display options' , the top option is 'Only display contacts with phone numbers'.7

Yeah, did that, no joy. See above. The messaging app appears to use an independant contact system and grabs all contact data from google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

Ah - I use chompSMS which only shows contacts with phone numbers by default!

got it replaced, happy days!!!

Did they ask any or many questions?

Mine would be sent back for bad (possibly) battery, so slightly different cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Seriously thinking of getting this phone, switching from Nokia N900. On o2 PAYG so may get it from them or online. Had a look at the phone and for a Android and Samsung noobie has similar menu options to itouch for widget scrolling. I know it does all the fantastic things but what is it like for simple things like text messaging, picture messaging, phone call quality etc?. Did not like the look of text messaging screen when trying it out is there another app to change this format? Also seen the online tests for sound but whats it like for listening to mp3's or the radio as would use this for the bus journey into work? I heard somewhere that you cannot put your own screensaver picture on this phone that correct?

• Advertisement
Advertisement