Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dawidnowak2005

Did they ask any or many questions?

Mine would be sent back for bad (possibly) battery, so slightly different cases.
    was very hard, bit of fight. im only lucky coz my phone was under 14 days old, not like i was think 3weeks old. if it older like 14 days old they will send it for repair not change for new one, im mean 3ie

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dawidnowak2005

and its look is common fault with this menu button, they told me its 4 samsung in this week with this fault lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Did not like the look of text messaging screen when trying it out is there another app to change this format? Also seen the online tests for sound but whats it like for listening to mp3's or the radio as would use this for the bus journey into work? I heard somewhere that you cannot put your own screensaver picture on this phone that correct?

What about the text look did you not like? Not sure if you can change from the IM style bubbles where you see both parts of the conversation, if that is what you mean.

Volume is a bit low on the phone, to be honest. In anything more than a moderately noisy environment you will probably struggle. Full volume on the SGS II equates to about half volume on my iPhone. I think there is an app you can get to help this, but I think you need to be rooted, so haven't so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Okay, I have flashed the phone with villian 1.2(Actually just upgraded to 1.4 aswell).

So far the results are amazing, The battery life has improved 5 fold.

I have had the phone on for over 11 hours, checking emails, Checking twitter, Downloading apps. normal usage. The phone still has 76% battery left.

Absolutely amazing rom and still gives better results on benchmarks aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Ardent wrote: »
    Yeah, did that, no joy. See above. The messaging app appears to use an independant contact system and grabs all contact data from google.

This is a pain in the arse alright, anyone knows a way to solve this please post
    bd250110 wrote: »
    Volume is a bit low on the phone, to be honest. In anything more than a moderately noisy environment you will probably struggle. Full volume on the SGS II equates to about half volume on my iPhone. I think there is an app you can get to help this, but I think you need to be rooted, so haven't so far.

No such issue on mine, volume is pretty high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Does anyone with a custom rom know if you can make the volume go lower and higher?
    As in the lowest on the radio imo is not low enough, and the highest is nowhere near high enough.

Same with the screen, the minimum brightness could do with being able to go lower for when you are using it in the dark.

Use handcent its a better app, and by default it only allows you to send to contacts actual phone number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

Thor wrote: »
    Okay, I have flashed the phone with villian 1.2(Actually just upgraded to 1.4 aswell).

I have had the phone on for over 11 hours, checking emails, Checking twitter, Downloading apps. normal usage. The phone still has 76% battery left.

Nice one. Going to try this one now.

Had flashed with Lite'ning - was really good except the browser functionality was horrendous!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

What about the text look did you not like? Not sure if you can change from the IM style bubbles where you see both parts of the conversation, if that is what you mean.

Yeah the bubbles maybe just not use to it just looked weird was wondering this was the only option? As a noobie is it simple to root the phone and do you get the PC cable in the box ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

there's an apk on xda called vrtweaks that has a fix for the browser. perfect now. In fact the latest version of this rom (1.4) includes vrtweaks I think.

Wolflikeme wrote: »
    Nice one. Going to try this one now.

Had flashed with Lite'ning - was really good except the browser functionality was horrendous!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Use go sms (or handcent). Much much better than the stock app and no root required.
    Yeah the bubbles maybe just not use to it just looked weird was wondering this was the only option? As a noobie is it simple to root the phone and do you get the PC cable in the box ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

elderlemon wrote: »
    there's an apk on xda called vrtweaks that has a fix for the browser. perfect now. In fact the latest version of this rom (1.4) includes vrtweaks I think.

Cheers for that.

Stupid question:

I downloaded 1.4 and am trying to flash using Odin. I've extracted the files....but where's the .tar needed in order to actually flash it?? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Wolflikeme wrote: »
    Cheers for that.

Stupid question:

I downloaded 1.4 and am trying to flash using Odin. I've extracted the files....but where's the .tar needed in order to actually flash it?? :o

Have a read of this. You can do the install on the handset with CWM prior to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Downloaded VillainRom 1.4 last night but haven't flashed yet, anyone tried it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

just installing VR1.4 at the moment reviews so far seem safe enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

5500 wrote: »
    just installing VR1.4 at the moment reviews so far seem safe enough

Really want to try it but im having absolutely no issues with rooted stock..
    And as they say, if it ain't broke....

I installed VillainRom 1.4 last night. The battery doesn't seem to be going down as much as before so I'm hoping I'll see a further improvement over the next few days of use. I'm also really loving the CRT lock animation.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I installed VillainRom 1.4 last night. The battery doesn't seem to be going down as much as before and I'm really loving the CRT lock animation. I'm hoping I'll see a further improvement over the next few days of use.

Make sure to do a battery calibration after the rom install. Will help in the next coming days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 daveccork

Re VillainRom 1.4 - what firmware were you guys on ? I am on KE7 but the link refers to XXKF2 - am i missing something?

daveccork wrote: »
    Re VillainRom 1.4 - what firmware were you guys on ? I am on KE7 but the link refers to XXKF2 - am i missing something?

The Villain rom is based on firmware XXKF2. You are currently on KE7.

I was on KE7 before installing Villain 1.4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 daveccork

great - thanks for quick response. did you do this?
    "After installing, I recommend you flash the XXKF2 modem, which you can download from this link: http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/sh...ll=1#post42028

daveccork wrote: »
    great - thanks for quick response. did you do this?
    "After installing, I recommend you flash the XXKF2 modem, which you can download from this link: http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/sh...ll=1#post42028

Yeah, I did after aswell, Its best to do it.

Also download crtweaks from the villainrom website, Its for adding tweaks that aren't in the official rom.

Make sure to do a battery calibration after the rom install. Will help in the next coming days.

Cheers for the tip. I've been looking into when the best time to do it is. From what I've been reading it appears to be best to do it after you install a ROM and when the battery is at 100%, i.e. leave it charging while installing the ROM, ensure the battery's at 100%, unplug and calibrate the battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I'll be hopefully picking up the S2 on Meteor billpay when I get back to Ireland in August. Just a few questions:

1) Is the firmware likely to be more efficient by then? (better battery life, etc)

2) Is it a decent phone without rooting? (I'm an iPhone user, but I've never jailbroken, and I've been reasonably happy)

3) How easy is it to transfer media? Part of the reason I'm switching is because I ****ing HATE iTunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Honestly, we don't know. There is no clear roadmap from Samsung as to when updates will be released. There were quite a few around launch, but nothing for a while now.
    I would say it is more than a decent phone without rooting. You don't need to root, if you have never jailbroken, you probably wont need to root. While it is not as fluid and the interface is not as pretty as the iPhone, it works well, is very stable and is very quick (although not noticeably quicker than the iPhone4 in day to day use IME). If you are going Android, this is the best option, by an absolute country mile. Don't even look at anything else. The screen alone is worth the money!

You can avoid iTunes, simple as drag and dropping if you wish. (BTW by jailbreaking the iPhone you can do this too) This has upsides, but there are a few downsides if you use iTunes to manage all your music at present. As much as people have a go at iTunes none of the other options are all that much better, really and generally lack key features, playlist count, podcast integration, use of album art, etc. Personally I like doubleTwist, it is a good alternative, but I find the volume on the SGS II a bit low. It is basically useless in the gym, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Honestly, we don't know. There is no clear roadmap from Samsung as to when updates will be released. There were quite a few around launch, but nothing for a while now.
    I would say it is more than a decent phone without rooting. You don't need to root, if you have never jailbroken, you probably wont need to root. While it is not as fluid and the interface is not as pretty as the iPhone, it works well, is very stable and is very quick (although not noticeably quicker than the iPhone4 in day to day use IME). If you are going Android, this is the best option, by an absolute country mile. Don't even look at anything else. The screen alone is worth the money!

You can avoid iTunes, simple as drag and dropping if you wish. (BTW by jailbreaking the iPhone you can do this too) This has upsides, but there are a few downsides if you use iTunes to manage all your music at present. As much as people have a go at iTunes none of the other options are all that much better, really and generally lack key features, playlist count, podcast integration, use of album art, etc. Personally I like doubleTwist, it is a good alternative, but I find the volume on the SGS II a bit low. It is basically useless in the gym, for example.

Are you insane, lol.
    Its probably the best phone out there at the moment, you can`t honestly compare jailbreaking and iphone and rooting an Android phone the same.
    Not the same, granted the phone at first/stock is`nt much to look at, but that`s where rooting comes in, you can do what ever you want, poo if you wanted to you can make it look like an iphone, as to why you would god only knows, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

According to Villainrom fourm instructions, If I want to install VillainROM1.4 onto my stock SG2, I first need to install a CF-Root kernel.

However my handset is running gingerbread.buke1, and I can only find the following kernels - which should I use?

CF-Root-SGS2_XW_XEU_KE2-v4.0-CWM4.zip
    CF-Root-SGS2_XW_XEU_KE7-v4.0-CWM4.zip
    CF-Root-SGS2_XW_ODD_KE8-v4.0-CWM4.zip
    CF-Root-SGS2_XW_OJV_KF1-v4.0-CWM4.zip

Does it matter which I use, or is there another one somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

All I would need to do is root the phone and then install that?

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    All I would need to do is root the phone and then install that?

You need to install CF-Root that corresponds with your current firmware first, Then you install the new rom.

There is a guide here(post 3) this will walk you through installing the new rom.

There is probably someone here to better write out the guide, If i have time i will write a better one out and post it, but check out the instructions below for a rough(and i mean rough) guide on how to do it.

Basically check which firmware you currenty have in the settings, about place, Then download the CF_root that is the same.

Once you have that installed, Copy the Villain rom over to your phone.

There will be a new app installed on your phone after you have installed CF-ROOT, Called CWM. Open that up and click on flash update, It will install the new rom, REMEMBER, After you have installed the new rom you need to put the phone into recovery mode(Volume up + Home + Power button and click on wipe user and systen data. This must be done if you are coming from a stock rom or the new rom will not boot. You can do a back up with cwm before installing the new rom aswell.

Once that is installed you need to update your baseband firmware aswell, Which is XXKF2, This is simple to do and there is a guide on how to do it on XDA aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Lads, I've an upgrade available and am wondering should I go for the SGS2. I currently have the SGS and it's a truely fantastic phone.
    Does anyone that's moved from SGS to SGS2 have any review/comments? Is there a big difference between them?

Cheers, BN

Lads, I've an upgrade available and am wondering should I go for the SGS2. I currently have the SGS and it's a truely fantastic phone.
    Does anyone that's moved from SGS to SGS2 have any review/comments? Is there a big difference between them?

Cheers, BN

I moved from an iPhone 4, Was getting bored with the limits of iOS, Even though it was jailbroken, It still felt limited.

All i can say is, If anyone is looking to get a new phone, You can't go wrong with the SGS2, It beats any phone currently on the market by a long shot.

Fact is the phone isn't even out in america and people over there are dying to get there hands on it.

I'd say the jump from SGS1 to SGS2 will feel more naturally but you will definitely see a difference because the SGS2 is simply an amazing phone.

• Advertisement

ok - figured out that I can upgrade to stock ke2 using Kies.

After installing Villain1.4 - should I install the modem too? Says KF2, so is that needed for Ke2 build?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

Whats the cheapest way to get the SG2 and with who at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

I must be missing something really obvious here, but can someone tell me how to view or download attachments in the email client on the galaxy s2 (not gmail).

I can see the attachments, but cannot find any options to view it or download, tried clicking everywhere, long press and menu button. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Cableguy wrote: »
    Whats the cheapest way to get the SG2 and with who at the moment?

Not in stock now... but €449 when porting to Vodafone PAYG and €12.50 rebate from Fatcheese.ie.

Are these phones unlocked if bought through Vodafone bill pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

ronoc wrote: »
    Are these phones unlocked if bought through Vodafone bill pay?
    I bought one on Vodafone bill pay from Carphone Warehouse and it's unlocked.

Basically check which firmware you currenty have in the settings, about place, Then download the CF_root that is the same.

Once you have that installed, Copy the Villain rom over to your phone.

Thor
    my current firmware is buke5. what CF_root can I use?

Thor
    my current firmware is buke5. what CF_root can I use?

Your using Vodafone specific firmware, So you need to install another rom before installing CF_Root. Something like KE7 or KF1, Then you can install CF_Root and then install the new rom.

How many hours of screen time are people getting on average?

(I know other factors impact battery, but I cant seem to get any more than a little over 3 hours - with 2 homescreens, 3 mostly static widgets and a solid black background)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

How many hours of screen time are people getting on average?

(I know other factors impact battery, but I cant seem to get any more than a little over 3 hours - with 2 homescreens, 3 mostly static widgets and a solid black background)

are you still having battery trouble? has it imporved at all over the last few days?

• Advertisement

are you still having battery trouble? has it imporved at all over the last few days?

Ye, im still having troubles (well i view 6-10 hours as a problem) and I still cant get much more than 3 hours of screen time.

I still haven't rooted and am still on the custom stock voda/samsung rom.

Im even down to two screens, folders and minimal widgets as I prefer it this way anyway. Also everything is black and dark themed as I also prefer it but the battery is still fairly bad imo.

Of course Vodafone havent gotten back to me yet, must email again….

Did yours improve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Is there an equivalent to the Voodoo Control app for the sg2 yet?

Ye, im still having troubles (well i view 6-10 hours as a problem) and I still cant get much more than 3 hours of screen time.

I still haven't rooted and am still on the custom stock voda/samsung rom.

Im even down to two screens, folders and minimal widgets as I prefer it this way anyway. Also everything is black and dark themed as I also prefer it but the battery is still fairly bad imo.

Of course Vodafone havent gotten back to me yet, must email again….

Did yours improve?

im with meteor, they've their own rom on it too and i haven't flashed it, still not sure how to flash to be honest.

i think its improved but only slightly.

if i only use the web browser for about an hour a day but still have wifi connected, background data on, facebook app, emails synching etc i get about 14hours straight. i have the display light at a minumum and only have 3 screens myself. i havent played any music or videos on it.

i have been out of work sick the last few days so i have been messing around with the phone a fair bit but all in all i'd say 14-16 hours is what i get out of it with the way i would normally use the phone. if i was to use the internet browser for a couple of hours more i defo wouldnt get more than 8 hours out of the phone.

while i expected alot more out of the battery, it seems like i am getting a good bit more out of it than you.

i think i'll email meteor about it but like you i wouldnt expect to hear back from them

Well I do use it a lot, a lot but still.

All the reviews say battery life just be 12 hours of actual solid use (plus 12 with wifi and notifications).

Neither of us are getting that, im stuck between rooting and flashing and it improving but im not sure if its still a dodgy battery or not…. and waiting for vodafone to get back to me or me wasting my time going to them to get it taken away for a week and still not replaced.

Well I do use it a lot, a lot but still.

All the reviews say battery life just be 12 hours of actual solid use (plus 12 with wifi and notifications).

Neither of us are getting that, im stuck between rooting and flashing and it improving but im not sure if its still a dodgy battery or notÂ…. and waiting for vodafone to get back to me or me wasting my time going to them to get it taken away for a week and still not replaced.

Sounds to me that you may have something in the background running causing the battery drain.

While I'm not using the same rom as you. I get more then 12 hours usage with heavy usage.

Even now I have 52% battery left, and I have been using the phone since 9 this morning.

The thing is that samsungs rom is terrible on the battery. Even if its vodafones or meteors rom its still basically the same as samsungs and its terrible on the battery life.

P.s writing this on my phone ^_^

Sounds to me that you may have something in the background running causing the battery drain.

While I'm not using the same rom as you. I get more then 12 hours usage with heavy usage.

Even now I have 52% battery left, and I have been using the phone since 9 this morning.

The thing is that samsungs rom is terrible on the battery. Even if its vodafones or meteors rom its still basically the same as samsungs and its terrible on the battery life.

P.s writing this on my phone ^_^

i'd like to flash a different rom but a few things scare me.

the main reason i havent flashed the rom is i cant seem to find meteors rom anywhere online.
    i'd obviously need this incase i had to return the phone if it suffered a hardware fault.

i currently have 38% battery left and it's been off charge 10hrs now, i have used the web browser for about an hour but have facebook and emails running in the background, ive made a few calls and been texting and using whatsapp most of the day.

does anyone know where i could get the stock meteor rom so that i could have it as back up for if i flashed my phone??

i'd like to flash a different rom but a few things scare me.

the main reason i havent flashed the rom is i cant seem to find meteors rom anywhere online.
    i'd obviously need this incase i had to return the phone if it suffered a hardware fault.

i currently have 38% battery left and it's been off charge 10hrs now, i have used the web browser for about an hour but have facebook and emails running in the background, ive made a few calls and been texting and using whatsapp most of the day.

does anyone know where i could get the stock meteor rom so that i could have it as back up for if i flashed my phone??

I'm not 100% but im pretty sure that you are allowed to flash any rom from samsung and returning it wouldn't be a problem.

As long as you can return it with stock rom then you shouldn't have a problem, But to be honest, Its pretty hard to brick the device, Flashing is pretty straight forward. There are plenty of guides on how to do it, I'm sure you already know but if you feel the risk is too high. Remember Samsung sent the GS2 to a developer of the cyanogen mod so they could port it to the GS2. If they wanted to they could have locked the boot loaders but they didn't. I'm convinced Samsung are for custom roms!!

To that end, If you are still unsure, Send me a pm if you have any trouble and i will help the best i can. That's goes to anyone who needs help flashing the SGS2, I must say I'm loving the VillainRom and would suggest anyone with this phone to put it on there phone.

Ye, it doesnt seem to have the high android process usage battery problem but it does have the wifi sharing problem and it uses 10-15% battery.

I dunno, I know if I root I will get better battery.
    I dont know if the battery is a bit off in general, or if its all the roms fault.

BTW if you have a windows computer flashing the GS2 is ridiculously easy. It is literally download things, follow instructions to put phone is certain modes, and check boxes in a gui application and its all straight forward tbh.
    I dont have windows though…. and my vm wont recognize the phone, so i have to use heimdall to root/flash.

Ye, it doesnt seem to have the high android process usage battery problem but it does have the wifi sharing problem and it uses 10-15% battery.

I dunno, I know if I root I will get better battery.
    I dont know if the battery is a bit off in general, or if its all the roms fault.

BTW if you have a windows computer flashing the GS2 is ridiculously easy. It is literally download things, follow instructions to put phone is certain modes, and check boxes in a gui application and its all straight forward tbh.
    I dont have windows though…. and my vm wont recognize the phone, so i have to use heimdall to root/flash.

Could be a bit of both, The best thing for you is to bring it back and get a replacement, It's really the only way you will know short of buying a new battery or installing a different rom.

Flashing is fairly simple, Although things can go wrong, They rarely do as long as you follow the instructions. Always read about what you are doing before doing it. Not having Windows is a problem alright, Unless you know someone with a laptop or something, Doesn't take long to do.

• Advertisement

I will email vodafone back - I want some sort of confirmation before I walk back to the shop and hand them the phone for a week or whatever that they might replace it, obviously they wont guarantee it over email without seeing it though,

Ye, I could borrow a laptop. Get all the crap organized and just copy everything from a thumb drive and do it quickly and delete.
    It looks way easier than rooting and flashing a G1, even with having to use heimdall. Borrowing a windows laptop would make it a lot easier though.

Advertisement