Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Zagato wrote: »
    If you can get a windows laptop, then you could always consider just doing the available update via kies which I was offered the other day (kies for mac won't allow you to upgrade the firmware)
    I think it was KE2 (or maybe KE4)

At least that would keep it official

Ye kies for mac is pointless, if I was to borrow the laptop I would probably root it and block some apps and test that for a day and then flash a rom later.

gingerbread is the actual os and the roms (samsungs/vodafones/villanrom) are customised version on gingerbread (afaik).

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

BenEadir wrote: »
    Try Go Launcher. Free (from the market) and better IMHO. I've had both.

Ben

Can you always return to the default Galaxy S2 one?

If you download and user a launcher as an app from the market you can easily switch between the two and revert back to the stock one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

i am taken the plunge from my nokia 5310 and buying the galaxy s2 on meteor the weekend,this will be my first smartphone but am bit worried about buying it after following this thread the last few weeks. i wouldnt be the best techie around and all this talk of rooting this and flashing that and changen roms has me haven second thoughts. is all this stuff really essential or can i just fire away with it as it comes in the box?

No, you dont have to.

Ive been using it for the last 2-3 weeks as is and its grand, that said I will eventually root and flash a different rom on it.

But its fine as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

As conor says, it's fine out of the box.. my mate has one and hasn't done a thing to it and loves it..

so what do you exactly gain by flashing or rooting it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Marco85 wrote: »
    so what do you exactly gain by flashing or rooting it?

Bragging rights. Geek points.

bd250110 wrote: »
    Bragging rights. Geek points.

I have never got that, maybe I just dont have geeky friends? Ive never once said hey look my phone is rooted…

There are actual benefits, improved battery usually for one.
    But that said it works fine out of the box, as do actual computers but that doesnt mean you cant tweak them and make them better...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

I have the samsung galaxy s2, got in with three, does anyone else think its slow to refresh screen when screen is off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

tw0nk wrote: »
    I have the samsung galaxy s2, got in with three, does anyone else think its slow to refresh screen when screen is off?

I believe it's because the phone goes into a kind of standby when the screen is off. When you re-activate the screen, It has to come out of standby aswell.

Not 100% but it makes sense. They do it to save on battery life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

i think your right, but other phones seem to do it much quicker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Picked mine up today. The white in the market looks a bit...yellow...is that normal? It seems to be like that for all backgrounds that are white :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Q_Ball wrote: »
    Picked mine up today. The white in the market looks a bit...yellow...is that normal? It seems to be like that for all backgrounds that are white :confused:
    At what brightness level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Thinking of returning my one to amazon, they wifi issues is starting to piss me off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Headshot wrote: »
    Thinking of returning my one to amazon, they wifi issues is starting to piss me off

What`s happening to it?

lewis wrote: »
    What`s happening to it?

The wireless signal is just bad on it Lewis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Bye bye galaxy s, hello s2! Now to read the last 100 or so pages.

Have you rooted it, if so have you tried a different modem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Ye kies for mac is pointless, if I was to borrow the laptop I would probably root it and block some apps and test that for a day and then flash a rom later.

gingerbread is the actual os and the roms (samsungs/vodafones/villanrom) are customised version on gingerbread (afaik).

Yeah, exactly. Pulser (of VillainROM fame) has a thread over at XDA with a list of apps that can be removed/uninstalled.

I'm just waiting until Nitrozk gets home from work to upload the Black Android Theme (VR version), want to see if the black minimalist approach saves some of the display battery consumption.
    Q_Ball wrote: »

There was a lot of talk before of screens having a yellow area. There's a review of this issue here. TBH doesn't sound exactly like the problem you're having though :o

• Advertisement

lads I forgot my password for the samsung account on my s2, how do I retrieve it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alligator Wine

Delighted with the phone so far. Bought it on contract from meteor. Was a bit nervous about doing it, but rooted it today andall went well. Running Go Launcher EX at the moment and it's a definite improvement on touchwiz.

Now I'd like to install Villianrom 1.4 but finding it all a bit confusing. Can anyone explain the steps in plain english what to do? I've read this: http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/content.php/309-VillainROM-1.4-for-SGS2-Released but not sure if I'm running XWKF1 CF-Root kernel or if I have to be...

At the moment my configuration is as follows.
    Baseband: I9100XXKDJ
    kernal version reads: 2.6.357-I9100XWKDD-CL161513
    Build number: GINGERBREAD.XWKE2

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Zagato wrote: »
    Yeah, exactly. Pulser (of VillainROM fame) has a thread over at XDA with a list of apps that can be removed/uninstalled.

I'm just waiting until Nitrozk gets home from work to upload the Black Android Theme (VR version), want to see if the black minimalist approach saves some of the display battery consumption.

There was a lot of talk before of screens having a yellow area. There's a review of this issue here. TBH doesn't sound exactly like the problem you're having though :o

Cheers lads, turns out the automatic brightness level makes it all look a bit yellow. When I turned up the brightness it looked A LOT better :D

Now to get rid of all the vodafone ****e that came preinstalled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Are you sure it's not just your wifi itself? I haven't noticed anything unusual but the most problematic issue with wifi is usually someone close by using a wifi router on the same channel.

Get Wifi Analyzer and look at the signal map.

Are you sure it's not just your wifi itself? I haven't noticed anything unusual but the most problematic issue with wifi is usually someone close by using a wifi router on the same channel.

Get Wifi Analyzer and look at the signal map.

posters on the android forums are having the same problem

Iv it packed up and going back to amazon

thank god I bought it from amazon too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Coming from an N900 the S2 far exceeded my expectations in many aspects but the wifi signal is truly appalling, my home wifi coverage has decreased from 100% of my house to about 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭dots104

just got a gs2 today and i am really please with it so far. just seen a app on the phone called zapatag and was just wondering what it was. does the phone have nfc or do you need a separate sticker for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Picked one up on adverts yesterday, was a nice bonus to find it was already rooted and running Lite'ning ROM. :D

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1095274

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Hey all, I'm getting on of these this week but not sure whether to switch to bill pay or stay pay as you go (i'm with vodafone). My main question is does using the internet, like fb, emails etc. use up much credit? I'm thinking about going for the €45/month plan. Any opinions? And apologies if this is in the wrong thread.

Picked one up on adverts yesterday, was a nice bonus to find it was already rooted and running Lite'ning ROM. :D

How much?
    Do you know the reason why the person was selling it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Joneser wrote: »
    Hey all, I'm getting on of these this week but not sure whether to switch to bill pay or stay pay as you go (i'm with vodafone). My main question is does using the internet, like fb, emails etc. use up much credit? I'm thinking about going for the €45/month plan. Any opinions? And apologies if this is in the wrong thread.

€40 a month on 3 including unlimited data and phone free.. 24 month contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

gbob wrote: »
    €40 a month on 3 including unlimited data and phone free.. 24 month contract.

Wow that's an amazing deal, do u know if u have to pay anything up front? If not i'll get it while i'm in town today haha, otherwise i'll have to wait til pay day on tuesday :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Wow that's an amazing deal, do u know if u have to pay anything up front? If not i'll get it while i'm in town today haha, otherwise i'll have to wait til pay day on tuesday :P

Nothing up front.. i got one last week.

lewis wrote: »

How much?
    Do you know the reason why the person was selling it?

€420. Seller's O/H wanted an iPhone instead.

TBH it was only a few quid less than porting to Vodafone PAYG online via Fatcheese (€436.50ish) but I couldn't wait until Tuesday. :-P

Port to Meteor online via Fatcheese.ie - €249 and €30 pm (200/200/1gig) for 12 months, and get a €40 rebate.

That's a grand total of €569 for a whole year of calls, texts and data including a new SGS2. ;)

Probably a bad unit, my wifi works all over my house and accross the street in another house.
    €420. Seller's O/H wanted an iPhone instead.

You jammy dodger - nice, I paid 59 euro more for technically less.

Has anyone installed Villainrom and found the browser very slow in scrolling?

Just tried Onlive viewer and it works perfectly on the Samsung Galaxy S2. For those who don't know what Onlive is.

It's a way to play games without the need of high end graphics cards, It's only in a america but works fine over here aswell.

The onlive viewer only allows you to view other people playing but my guess is that soon we will be able to play the games.

Anyone who wants to try it out, Can download it from here.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1138194

10th post down!!

Download VRtweaks from the villainrom site, There is a fix for sluggish browser!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭paddypowder

was i wrong to dl the firmware upgrade for the cam?

i thought the pic was better b4

Thor wrote: »

Download VRtweaks from the villainrom site, There is a fix for sluggish browser!!

Yep, just found it. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 x0l0x

Can Any one confirm please if I get it from Vodafone as pay as you go .... will I find it locked ?? ... or will it be unlocked ??:confused:

just got one today on meteor people,love it so far! anybody recommend me some free apps that are good? how do i get music on to it? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Yip

hi guys i just flashed my phone to KE7,now i'm looking to root and install VillianRom.i'm new to all this stuff since this is my first smart phone,so have a few questions.
    there is alot of guides out there all slightly different so i'm starting to get confused.so i would like to post a to do list/check list on how to do this.please correct me if my wrong.

THIS IS NOT A GUIDE,ONLY POSTING TO MAKE SURE I'M DOING IT RIGHT.

stage1
    download and flashCF-Root-SGS2_XW_XEU_KE7-v4.0-CWM4.zip (since i'm on KE7).

stage2
    download VillianRom and put it on the SD card.

stage3
    Boot into ClockWorkMod recovery by powering on with volume UP, home and power held.Go to BACKUP and run a backup.

stage4
    go to "wipe data/factory reset" then do "wipe cache"
    go "Install Zip from SD" find your .zip file of VillainRom and flash.

stage5
    install VRTweaks
    go into VRTweaks and install the Symlink fix, and reboot the phone.

now here is where i start to get lost.it says to update the CF-ROOT kernel.
    **am i on KE7 or KF2 after all the above??**

stage6 (i'm not 100% about this part so correct me if wrong)
    download CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_KF2-v4.0-CWM4.zip
    place it on SDcard,open CWM app go to "flash kernel" .
    find the KF2 zip file and flash.

stage7
    download the KF2 modem tar.md5 file.
    Put your phone into download mode and open Odin
    Click "PHONE" and guide it to the tar.md5 file and press start.

**is that right?**
    ** how and at what point do i do a recovery to get Apps etc back??

thanks

Marco85 wrote: »
    just got one today on meteor people,love it so far! anybody recommend me some free apps that are good? how do i get music on to it? cheers

Lots of options... Winamp on the phone, Media monkey on PC, connect USB and drag the notification bar down to enable mass storage and drag all of your music folders in? :-D

There is a 'must have' apps thread in here somewhere. ;-)

• Advertisement

Yip wrote: »
    hi guys i just flashed my phone to KE7,now i'm looking to root and install VillianRom.i'm new to all this stuff since this is my first smart phone,so have a few questions.
    there is alot of guides out there all slightly different so i'm starting to get confused.so i would like to post a to do list/check list on how to do this.please correct me if my wrong.

thanks

That's is perfect, You flash the new CF_ROOT(KF2) because you have just updated to the new kernel, You have it down perfectly.

Enjoy the new rom once its installed!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Just got a brand new one off adverts.ie for €400.
    Being playing with it all weekend.

Went from iphone 3G, and never going back to ios....

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Yip

Thor wrote: »
    That's is perfect, You flash the new CF_ROOT(KF2) because you have just updated to the new kernel, You have it down perfectly.

Enjoy the new rom once its installed!!

cool thanks and cheers for explaining the battery thing to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 x0l0x

Can Any one confirm please if I get it from Vodafone as pay as you go .... will I find it locked ?? ... or will it be unlocked ??

Can Any one confirm please if I get it from Vodafone as pay as you go .... will I find it locked ?? ... or will it be unlocked ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Not sure about the Vodafone PAYG version....

Anyway, it can be unlocked easily using "Galaxy S2 SIM Unlock" from Marketplace, after you root the phone first, which isn't too hard either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement