Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

No worries mate, Glad to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Ive no 3g icon on my s2. Is this a problem with the Handset or the mobile network?
    Its not plugged in.
    WIFI is off.
    Juice defender is switched off (DISABLED).
    Battery is 80%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

cursai wrote: »
    Ive no 3g icon on my s2. Is this a problem with the Handset or the mobile network?
    Its not plugged in.
    WIFI is off.
    Juice defender is switched off (DISABLED).
    Battery is 80%
    Is Data Network mode enabled? Long press power to check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Breezer wrote: »
    Is Data Network mode enabled? Long press power to check.

Yep it says its activated. Maybe Vodafone cut me off temp. ive been having issues with them lately but they said it was resolved. Would the 3g icon not still show up. Copied all the apn settings too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

x0l0x wrote: »
    Can Any one confirm please if I get it from Vodafone as pay as you go .... will I find it locked ?? ... or will it be unlocked ??

Can Any one confirm please if I get it from Vodafone as pay as you go .... will I find it locked ?? ... or will it be unlocked ??

It's a gamble. They aren't difficult to unlock once rooted though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Getting great battery life out of my S2. Charged it fully on Friday and the battery has just died. That's with all my new gadget 'tinkering' on Fri and Sat too. Very impressed.

Does anyone have any recommendation on a car dock/cradle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

Google "DSL Developments". They provide Brodit mounts and holders. Got a great one for the S2 - allows you to tilt, swivel etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

got mine yesterday at about 4 and there was half a charge on it,played around with it for a while and it died on me at 8. gave it a full charge and then today it died on me at 5 and i wasnt usein it that much,couple of txts and calls and browsing the net for less than half an hour altogether. surely i should be getting more than that out of it. any tips on how to shut down all the background progammes that are not important?? cheers for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭HoldStady

Thor wrote: »
    That's is perfect, You flash the new CF_ROOT(KF2) because you have just updated to the new kernel, You have it down perfectly.

Enjoy the new rom once its installed!!

I flashed villain Rom. Does the CF_ROOT (KF2) restore your apps. I restored through CWM but it has put me back to KE7.

Freaked out at having to enter my details again.

When flashing CF_Root (KF2), do you do this through Odin or the through the way you flash the rom.

HoldStady wrote: »
    I flashed villain Rom. Does the CF_ROOT (KF2) restore your apps. I restored through CWM but it has put me back to KE7.

Freaked out at having to enter my details again.

When flashing CF_Root (KF2), do you do this through Odin or the through the way you flash the rom.

You flash CF_Root the first time with ODIN, When updating it you use cwm.

As for your apps, I used titanium back up for them, I'm pretty sure the back up with CMW is just in case something goes wrong, It will revert back to when you took the back up.

Updating CF_Root will not touch your installed apps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

Marco85 wrote: »
    just got one today on meteor people,love it so far! anybody recommend me some free apps that are good? how do i get music on to it? cheers

Is the meteor sgs2 sim locked and loaded with meteor branding etc? Suppose flashing would unlock and debrand it.
    I'm coming from a rooted nexus one and have flashed tons of roms from xda but development there seems to be drying up as developers are changing to new devices -sgs2/sensation/lg2x etc.
    I've never had a samsung phone except for my daughter's Hello Kitty Tocco so would have to learn about flashing roms on the sgs2.

Thinking about porting to meteor myself. Trying to check what the coverage is like for data. I think they have edge and 3g. Usage will be Offaly to Dublin. Just got a meteor sim and trying it along side voda sim. In places voda shows G and meteor will show E and both will show 3G in similar areas. Seems meteor better in places on my route.

A new game to android from iOS is Cut the Rope check it out here: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/06/24/review-cut-the-rope-on-android-shows-us-what-a-great-port-looks-like/

Thor,

Did you just download TB app drom market again. wasnt on my apps list after flashing rom. will try again when i get a chance. thanks.

Thor,

Did you just download TB app drom market again. wasnt on my apps list after flashing rom. will try again when i get a chance. thanks.

Yeah, Best to get the paid version, Because the free version is pretty limited.

Also good to have in case you need to do a wipe of your data, Has dropbox support aswell so uploads your back up to online for safety!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

In the stock video player, there is a 5.1 sound setting down the botton left. Can I get a micro usb to hdmi cable, or is this just virtual 5.1? Anyone have any info?

Here's one example - linky
    Wetbench4 wrote: »
    ...Can I get a micro usb to hdmi cable...

In the stock video player, there is a 5.1 sound setting down the botton left. Can I get a micro usb to hdmi cable, or is this just virtual 5.1? Anyone have any info?

There is an MHL/HDMI output cable

Official Samsung -

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/genuine-samsung-galaxy-s2-i9100-mhl-tv-out-adaptor-p29427.htm

another option -

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/bizlink-mhl-to-hdmi-tv-out-adapter-black-p29839.htm

Thor,
    Yeah, Best to get the paid version, Because the free version is pretty limited.
    Also good to have in case you need to do a wipe of your data, Has dropbox support aswell so uploads your back up to online for safety!!

Im guessing the app remembers u paid when u go back again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Hey Guys

Moved from my Desire to this today :)
    One thing im trying to sort, how do I set peoples Facebook picture as their contact picture? :/ Im signed into Social Hub and have everything syncing but it doesnt seem to carry over to the contacts(their google contact pictures are still showing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

The Chin wrote: »
    Hey Guys

Moved from my Desire to this today :)
    One thing im trying to sort, how do I set peoples Facebook picture as their contact picture? :/ Im signed into Social Hub and have everything syncing but it doesnt seem to carry over to the contacts(their google contact pictures are still showing)

Go into your contacts list, then push the menu button on the phone, you'll get a list of options like My profile, Sync Contacts, etc. Select More and go to display options, scroll down and you will see your facebook, twitter, google accounts. Select facebook and highlight all contacts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭Meleftone

Hi Guys

Just got this phone today, my first android phone. Just a quick question..does anybody know the settings for the three network for setting up phone for internet and picture messaging. I've searched and have not been successful.

Thanks

***Disregard...I found it

Go into your contacts list, then push the menu button on the phone, you'll get a list of options like My profile, Sync Contacts, etc. Select More and go to display options, scroll down and you will see your facebook, twitter, google accounts. Select facebook and highlight all contacts.

Ive that set. It still keeps the Google Contact picture as default though :/

Can someone post a link to the recommend modem for villain ROM. Nearly there....

Can someone post a link to the recommend modem for villain ROM. Nearly there....

Here is a direct link buddy!!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YKV08GWF

Had to upload it myself!!

Here is a direct link buddy!!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YKV08GWF

Had to upload it myself!!

Hi Thor,

Right have done everything. have ROM installed.Have re-installed TB from market but it will not show on phone as an installed app. Is there a setting I'm missing. It's the last step as everything else seems fine.

Dimiss above. Got it. Can do this at last. Thanks for all the help

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Hey,

Other half just got a S2 today. She's really liking it apart from the fact that she cannot log onto the WiFi at home. I have a HTC Desire and have no problem in connecting to the home netowrk, but when she tries to connect it gets as far as 'Authenticating' the network, but then says 'Disabled'. I've tried to see if there was anything that was different with both phones in relation to settings but can't seem to find.

Anyone help??....Could you give step-by-step problem-solve as a bit of a tech novice really. Thanks!!

***Scrap all that, the problem was we were using the old network key for old router and not the new code**** Thanks to those who posted advise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

lang wrote: »
    Hey,

Other half just got a S2 today. She's really liking it apart from the fact that she cannot log onto the WiFi at home. I have a HTC Desire and have no problem in connecting to the home netowrk, but when she tries to connect it gets as far as 'Authenticating' the network, but then says 'Disabled'. I've tried to see if there was anything that was different with both phones in relation to settings but can't seem to find.

Anyone help??....Could you give step-by-step problem-solve as a bit of a tech novice really. Thanks!!

My exact problem too if anyone can help! Got mine last week picks up wifi grand in my house but went to the parents at the weekend and have the exact same issue as above

Also, can anyone help me with this issue. When I bought the phone I moved from vodafone to meteor hence I've to put all my numbers in manually. I've started by importing all my contacts from facebook, gmail and twitter to My contacts. However, when I go to contacts on the home screen, and select a facebook contact there isn't an option to add the number here. It works for contacts added through gmail though. Also, if i just type the number and select "update existing contacts" it will only bring up my gmail contacts and not my facebook ones. Is there any way around this or do I have to set up a new contact for all my numbers and then merge each persons number contact and facebook contact?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mark23

i am seeing this wi-fi sharing service aswell .. I think it is dependent on which access point I am connected to .. when i am at work the service doesnt seem to draw battery but when I arrive at home it does .. any ideas?

My exact problem too if anyone can help! Got mine last week picks up wifi grand in my house but went to the parents at the weekend and have the exact same issue as above

Also, can anyone help me with this issue. When I bought the phone I moved from vodafone to meteor hence I've to put all my numbers in manually. I've started by importing all my contacts from facebook, gmail and twitter to My contacts. However, when I go to contacts on the home screen, and select a facebook contact there isn't an option to add the number here. It works for contacts added through gmail though. Also, if i just type the number and select "update existing contacts" it will only bring up my gmail contacts and not my facebook ones. Is there any way around this or do I have to set up a new contact for all my numbers and then merge each persons number contact and facebook contact?
    Youd have to edit the Google contact & join them.
    The Facebook feed is pulling from the other persons profile. If they put their number there it picks it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

lang wrote: »
    Hey,

I had this problem and it turned out I'd typed in my network security code wrong :o So double check that first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭AnnaGram85

Is the S2 easy to use? I was talking to someone in Carphone Warehouse and he said it was more complicated than the iPhone4 to use? I'm looking to buy a PAYG phone as I don't want a bill hassle, but the iPhone4 is almost €600! Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

AnnaGram85 wrote: »
    Is the S2 easy to use? I was talking to someone in Carphone Warehouse and he said it was more complicated than the iPhone4 to use? I'm looking to buy a PAYG phone as I don't want a bill hassle, but the iPhone4 is almost €600! Any suggestions?

It is more complicated then the iPhone in some ways but its by no means a hard phone to use. Some things might take a little digging (usually a press of the menu button will be the right way about it)

how can i see what percentage of battery is remaining??

how can i see what percentage of battery is remaining??
    Settings>About Phone>Status shows the percentage.
    Crap loads of widgets and stuff in the market that show it aswell

cheers thank you,bought it on sunday and dnt think the battery is lasten very long. fully charged it last night and apart from couple of calls and txts and maximum of 15 mins browsing throughout the day it died on me at 9. dont even know if there is background apps running on it that are eaten the battery,how can i check this??

AnnaGram85 wrote: »

If price is the deciding factor don't rule out an iPhone yet, they can be picked up on adverts.ie for under €400.

...and yes, I do realise this is the Android forum.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Iphone is slightly easier to use because it is far more limited in funtionality and displayed graphics (before anybody starts yelling, I'm not an Apple hatter as I owned an iphone for 2.5 years)
    After a few days with the S2 it will be second nature.

Agree with Kenny Logins to check out adverts.ie
    Got mine (S2) there brand-new for 400 euro just last week...

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Crucifix wrote: »
    I had this problem and it turned out I'd typed in my network security code wrong :o So double check that first

Well, I just realised that when we got a new wireless router obviously the secuirty code changed. I was getting the other half to put in the old code last night and, as you would expect, it did not work. Will get her to try the new code when she gets home this evening.

Feel like a bit of a tool really :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Zith

cheers thank you,bought it on sunday and dnt think the battery is lasten very long. fully charged it last night and apart from couple of calls and txts and maximum of 15 mins browsing throughout the day it died on me at 9. dont even know if there is background apps running on it that are eaten the battery,how can i check this??

First make sure GPS isn't turned on all the time. When I got mine the guy in the shop told me to turn it off. Good advice, it is on by default. Simplest way to check GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth is to first unlock the screen so you are at your home screen. Then put your finger at the very top of the screen on the bar where the signal strength and battery level are. Another bar will appear below that top bar so just drag your finger down to the bottom of the screen to pull open the status. This shows your notification screen and at the top you have toggles for wifi, bluetooth, GPS, sound and autorotate. Green means on.

You can also see what is using most battery by going into the settings->about phone->battery usage

If GPS and that are not the cause then possibly you have an older firmware on it. Hook it up to your PC and use the Kies software (download from Samsung.com) to check for a firmware update. Bought my GS2 last week, it had KE2 on it. Kies updated it to KE5.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

does anyone have a link with a step by step guide on how to put latest normal samsung firmware on the galaxy s2 without rooting? I want to update to latest and get rid of three.ie branding, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Zith

tw0nk wrote: »
    does anyone have a link with a step by step guide on how to put latest normal samsung firmware on the galaxy s2 without rooting? I want to update to latest and get rid of three.ie branding, thanks!

Just followed this guide last night. Simples.

Do the backup beforehand just in case. I didn't remove my SIM and had no problems (no micro SD card in mine). Use the Samsung Kies software for this. It also installs the USB driver that you need.

The steps are listed under "Procedure to update Samsung Galaxy S II GT I9100 to XXKF2". I used Odin v1.85 which is the latest. Steps are all the same.

Download the "XXKF2 2.3.3 Gingerbread firmware" which is linked in the article first. Then download Odin (google). Unzip the fimware so you just have a .tar file. Don't extract what is in the tar itself. Unzip Odin and its config file together somewhere.

-Turn off phone. Phone is not connected to USB cable.
    -Start phone in download mode by holding volume down and home key then press power while still holding them.
    - I then had to let go all buttons and press volume up to confirm I wanted to start download mode (phone screen asked this)
    - Run the Odin application
    - When Odin is open connect phone to USB cable
    - Press PDA button in Odin and browse to the .tar file from above
    - Make sure re-partition is NOT ticked and do NOT add a PIT file
    - Press Start button on Odin
    - Takes maybe 5 minutes then phone reboots itself
    - Once rebooted and back to home screen remove USB cable, close Odin.
    - Done.

I didn't need to clear the cache because the phone did that already (you can see the debug messages on the phone as it updates).

Voila, phone updated. All my content was intact, setting fine, nothing lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dazcush

Hi,

Wondering can someone tell me what's the difference between the XXKF2 and XWKE2 firmware?

My phone is currently on Gingerbread.XWKE1, I'm assuming I need to go to XWKE2 but I'd like to be sure before I do something costly and stupid.

Also, Should I be alarmed that when I search for a firmware upgrade using Kies it tells me that my upgrading my phone firmware is not possible? It's making me panic over attempting an upgrade using Odin, even though I have used it to root the phone.

Does anyone know how to make the Facebook image the primary image for a person's contact?
    It seems to be defaulting to the gmail contact image for texts calls etc.

ronoc wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to make the Facebook image the primary image for a person's contact?
    It seems to be defaulting to the gmail contact image for texts calls etc.
    Mine was doing that when I got it yesterday. Suddenly just started working after a few hours though :/

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

dazcush wrote: »
    Hi,

Wondering can someone tell me what's the difference between the XXKF2 and XWKE2 firmware?

My phone is currently on Gingerbread.XWKE1, I'm assuming I need to go to XWKE2 but I'd like to be sure before I do something costly and stupid.

Also, Should I be alarmed that when I search for a firmware upgrade using Kies it tells me that my upgrading my phone firmware is not possible? It's making me panic over attempting an upgrade using Odin, even though I have used it to root the phone.
    I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this also. I have the same firmware as you.

I thought I needed to use KE7 from KE1, but maybe KF2 is even newer than KE7?

/me shrugs

Also, I didn't think it'd be as easy as Ziln's tutorial!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dazcush

byte wrote: »
    I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this also. I have the same firmware as you.

I thought I needed to use KE7 from KE1, but maybe KF2 is even newer than KE7?

/me shrugs

Also, I didn't think it'd be as easy as Ziln's tutorial!

OK, according to the comments section of that XXKF2 guide, it is better than XWKE7.
    "Claudiu Dan says:
    June 29, 2011 at 3:53 am
    Is this better than XWKE7 ?

Neal Pradeep Reply:
    June 29th, 2011 at 10:59 am

yes its better than XWKE7"

However, in the guide he points out...

"Note: Since the firmware update has been updated, all the APN Settings will be cleared. So, to access all the data services / MMS / Internet, you will have to get the Internet settings from from your Service provider."

So now I'm wondering is any of this worth the hassle, should I just stick with XWKE1. With the risk of the phone turning into an expensive paperweight and the messing about with losing data settings, I'm leaning towards doing nothing.

Plus I think I've read that to get to XWKE7 you have to start by getting to XWKE2, so now I'm probably looking at a XWKE1 to KE2 to KE7 to KF2 path. I'd be skeptical that you could just jump straight from KE1 to KF2

All opinions gratefully received

Daz

dazcush wrote: »
    Hi,

Going by the Samsung naming conventions I'd go for the highest available, KF2. I'd guess that the operator branded version you have is the latest, but still way behind the latest generic one (KF2?)
    They don't do changelogs for some reason...

Has anyone with a 3Ireland branded phone debranded? Any problems?

Currently have I9000 XWKE1 (PDA) / NEKD5 (PHONE) / 3IEKE1 (CSC).

No option to switch between 2G and 3G is a real pain.

Edit: With the SGS I always kept it up to date with the latest (leaked or otherwise) firmware. Switching between 2G/3G was never great. I ended up manually switching it a lot of the time.
    I've noticed my SGS2 *appears* to switch between 2G/3G very well - it still has the 3Ireland branded firmware.

Is it possible that 3Ireland have some funky settings in their firmware that makes the 2G/3G switching better than the generic firmware?

Hi, does anyone know how to change the grid view of the applications so that they fill each page. Is there an easier way than doing it manually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

I'm soon to be an SGSII user, it's sitting here beside me charging up with it's plastic covers etc still on :D

Having owned the original SGS since it's release I'm familiar with rooting and flashing Darky ROM's etc.

My big gripe with the SGS is/was battery life and GPS performance. I got the latter fixed but the battery life remained dreadful. I went through two full battery discharges yesterday between 6am and 5pm so bit the bullet this morning and got the SGS II.

I'd really appreciate it if someone would give me a few tips as to how best to set this baby up. Should I flash a new ROM onto it right from the beginning and if so what do you recommend? Is there anything I should do to ensure the battery gets off to the best start possible?

Looking forward to being an SGS II user and to contributing to this forum until the SGS III comes out :p

Cheers,

Ben

• Advertisement

BenEadir wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm soon to be an SGSII user, it's sitting here beside me charging up with it's plastic covers etc still on :D

Having owned the original SGS since it's release I'm familiar with rooting and flashing Darky ROM's etc.

My big gripe with the SGS is/was battery life and GPS performance. I got the latter fixed but the battery life remained dreadful. I went through two full battery discharges yesterday between 6am and 5pm so bit the bullet this morning and got the SGS II.

I'd really appreciate it if someone would give me a few tips as to how best to set this baby up. Should I flash a new ROM onto it right from the beginning and if so what do you recommend? Is there anything I should do to ensure the battery gets off to the best start possible?

Looking forward to being an SGS II user and to contributing to this forum until the SGS III comes out :p

Cheers,

Ben

VillainROM is very easy on the battery but I found it too buggy, using Lite'ning ROM now, and will report back after a few days. ;)

Advertisement