Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Is there anyway to get the stock messaging app to display only "my contacts"? When I hit the contacts option on the home screen it just shows my contacts from google contacts, but in the messaging app it displays all my facebook friends, and every e-mail address that was auto saved to all contacts on gmail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Crucifix wrote: »
    Is there anyway to get the stock messaging app to display only "my contacts"? When I hit the contacts option on the home screen it just shows my contacts from google contacts, but in the messaging app it displays all my facebook friends, and every e-mail address that was auto saved to all contacts on gmail.

I know this is a big problem and hugely annoying. I had to export/backup my phone contacts online, purge all my google contacts and re-import my phone contacts again. Lost all the images doing this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Hi,

So to improve the battery life do I have to remove the samsung hubs - (social, music, games, readers)??

And I have to switch GPS off.

Also, since I should not use Kies. How do I ensure the phone gets updated?

Anything else? Do I have to root phone for above?

Finally what is ROM? :o

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Ardent wrote: »
    I know this is a big problem and hugely annoying. I had to export/backup my phone contacts online, purge all my google contacts and re-import my phone contacts again. Lost all the images doing this though.

Ah that sucks. My solution for now is to go through and favourite everyone in my contacts, so it's just an extra tap to get only my contacts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Whys this phone a hundred quid dearer on three than it is on Vodafone ready to go? Am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Quick question folks, I have my phone rooted on the Kwe7 firmware and im noticing that the android OS is eating up the battery, even more than the display. Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭HoldStady

CiaranC wrote: »
    Whys this phone a hundred quid dearer on three than it is on Vodafone ready to go? Am I missing something?

When i went to buy on bill it was 70 eur cheaper than O2. They must want to steal a march on them.

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Quick question folks, I have my phone rooted on the Kwe7 firmware and im noticing that the android OS is eating up the battery, even more than the display. Is this normal?

I had the same. since being on villain rom the android os is taking up far less battery. Now its all display taking battery. games like nova really drain it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭AnnaGram85

Lads just bought this phone - how do I surf the net on it!? Do I need to download settings? I just switched to Vodafone and went to 'Send settings' through their website but when I enter my IMEI number it says it's not recognised so I don't know what the story is - bought it today in the shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭jetpack101

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Try turning your phone off and take the battery out for about 10 minutes.

When you start it up again you will find that the android OS will read below 7% possibly around 3%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Lads,

Just fired up my new SGS II and it's the following build:-

Android - 2.3.3
    Baseband Version - I9100BUKE1
    Kernel - 2.6.35.7-I9100BUKE1-CL182896root@DELL105 #2
    Build number - GINGERBREAD.BUKE1

So, what have I got?

Apart from 2.3.3 I don't recognise anything!!! I was expecting to see KE2, KE4 or KE7.

Based on the above should I just go ahead and flash a ROM and if so which one?

If the stock version I have is latest/greatest can you recommend the best way to root it?

Cheers all, I'd love to have this up and running by tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

I'm running on Android 2.3.3 build no: GINGERBREAD.XWKE2. Is there an official update available better than this? When I hit "check for updates" on my phone it says "connection failed" and I can't seem to connect my phone to Kies, every time it connects it says a problem occured installing MTP device!? Why do they have to make it so difficult!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Has anyone successfully updated from (3 mobile) KE1 to KF2 yet using the previous Howto?

BenEadir wrote: »
    Lads,

Just fired up my new SGS II and it's the following build:-

Android - 2.3.3
    Baseband Version - I9100BUKE1
    Kernel - 2.6.35.7-I9100BUKE1-CL182896root@DELL105 #2
    Build number - GINGERBREAD.BUKE1

So, what have I got?

Apart from 2.3.3 I don't recognise anything!!! I was expecting to see KE2, KE4 or KE7.

Based on the above should I just go ahead and flash a ROM and if so which one?

If the stock version I have is latest/greatest can you recommend the best way to root it?

Cheers all, I'd love to have this up and running by tonight.

Bump!! Seriously lads, what's the story with my setup above? What's "BUKE"???

One new challenge. I went into applications (using Go Launcher) and chose to create a folder which I put all my kids games into. That took all the games out of the list of applications but for the life of me I can't find the bloody folder with the games in it :confused: Where is it?

Please help me out here lads. It's bed time!!!

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Not BUKE, BU KE1 - Vodafone.

KE1 is an old firmware and as it's Vodafone one probably won't be updated in a hurry.

Not BUKE, BU KE1 - Vodafone.

KE1 is an old firmware and as it's Vodafone one probably won't be updated in a hurry.

Can't believe I was that dopey Kenny :confused:

So I'm on a very old firmware. Had hoped to be on the latest and greatest but should have known better.

What woudl you recommend I do? I've been a Darky and Ficeto ROM fan on my old SGSI but haven't a breeze where things are at on the SGS II. Can I jump straight to KE7? If so what's the best way? Will I need to root first or not and if so what's the best way?

I've been trawing the SGSII thread on XDA and it seems that CF root is the way to go but it looks like there is a CF root version for each kernel which implies I first of all have to update or flash to the latest kernel then root.

I can see I'm going to have as much 'fun' keeping this phone's performance up to speed as I did with the old SGS.

Cheers

Ben

Ben

Sorry, I can't help there, I bought mine rooted and running Lite'ning ROM. Unfortunately you just have to read and read until it becomes clear, but having been through the whole process before it shouldn't be to difficult. Good luck. ;)

Sorry, I can't help there, I bought mine rooted and running Lite'ning ROM. Unfortunately you just have to read and read until it becomes clear, but having been through the whole process before it shouldn't be to difficult. Good luck. ;)

Jaysus, I wish I'd bought mine already rooted and 'pimped'!! I've been through it on the SGS but was never very comfortable and had a lot of misses/fcuk up's along the way. It's really outside my comfort zone.

Sounds like a weekend project.

BTW, if the KE1 I'm on is considered to be old hat and KE7 is much improved I can't wait to make the switch as KE1 feels pretty good and after 5 hours of use I'm still on 87% battery which is seriously impressive to me coming from a twice a day charging SGS 1.

Ben

OK all, here's my contribution to the SGS II user community here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73078234&postcount=2

From zero to a happily modded phone in a few hours :P

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Hey, Just want to share this with you all.

VillainRom creator pulsar has modded the new Skype2.0 apk to allow video calling on the Samsung Galaxy S2

I uploaded the Apk to mega upload so people can grab it from there, Here is the link

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=020PTNW6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

HoldStady wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know how to change the grid view of the applications so that they fill each page. Is there an easier way than doing it manually.

Well I use a different launcher which allows this. I use ADW Launcher (free on the market), but there are others Launcer Pro and GO Launcher are the 2 other popular ones. This gives me 5 different options for the App drawer, and allows me change the number of rows and columns for icons/widgets on the home pages as well.
    This will be your user interface then as opposed to Touchwiz, but it's just a matter of switching back (you don't lose anything) if you don't like it, but certainly gives you a lot more options.

Here's my homescreen and app drawer.

SC20110701-205445.jpegSC20110701-205847.jpeg

Zagato, can I ask your advice on the Villain ROM? How is it for you? Hows battery life? GPS? Any force closes?

I'm on litening ROM & happy but not keen on everything being blue!

Is Villain easy to flash?

Ben

Villain is very easy to flash now you're on Lite'ning; just download to your phone, boot into recovery, wipe, and install from .zip.

It is very light on battery but does have some issues, you'll need to re-install a crc for predictive text, a fix for laggy browser, maybe more.

There is a black theme for Lite'ning too, but yeah, I agree; I'm not keen on the theme as it is.

I'll use it until CyanogenMOD is ready. ;)

Oh, when you do boot into recovery do a full back up first, then you can switch between ROMS, fully set up as you like, within a couple of minutes.

Kenny,

I really want to get Villain 1.4 flashed correctly so have been reading the instructions on their website and they seem very insistent on the device being CF rooted before flashing Villain. As I'm on litening 1.5 at the moment I'm not CF Rooted. Do I need to CF root or do I just do as you suggest i.e. boot into recovery, do a factory wipe, install the 1.4 zip onto the internal SD card and then "install zip from SD card"?

Couple of more questions:-

1. What about wiping the cache partition?
    2. How do I delete a previous nandroid backup?

Ben

Ah, that might be where I was having problems. I need to read more...

Pulser (Mr Villain himself) just confirmed to me that I need to do the following:-

Before starting, put VR zip into the internal SD

1) Using ODIN, flash CF-Root XWKF2 (post 4 of chainfire's thread)

2) Boot into CWM recovery by turning off, holding vol up, home, power.

3) Do a backup, then do a factory reset.

4) Choose install from zip, and then browse and select the VR zip

5) After installed and booted, ODIN the MODEM KF2 file mentioned in the ROM release

6) Done smile3.png Install VRTweaks if you want, and see what you fancy smile3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Zagato wrote: »
    Well I use a different launcher which allows this. I use ADW Launcher (free on the market), but there are others Launcer Pro and GO Launcher are the 2 other popular ones. This gives me 5 different options for the App drawer, and allows me change the number of rows and columns for icons/widgets on the home pages as well.
    This will be your user interface then as opposed to Touchwiz, but it's just a matter of switching back (you don't lose anything) if you don't like it, but certainly gives you a lot more options.

Here's my homescreen and app drawer.

SC20110701-205445.jpegSC20110701-205847.jpeg

What is the missed calls widget, looks nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

I also would like the missed call widgets, how do you get them?

Knine wrote: »

Missed it

It's on the market, pretty sure it's free.

@Ben - sounds like you have gotten sorted. The CF ROOT KF2 is the kernel. As Villain Rom is based on KF2 firmware, Pulsar is saying that it is most likely to work best with the matching kernel, when 1.4 came out first KF2 kernel wasn't available and the KF1 seemed to work fine. As a general principle it seems logical to try to use the same build number four firmware, kernel, and radio/modem.

How are you finding it? Only thing that bothers me is the browser scrolling being a bit laggy. I installed the fix, but after that my phone kept force closing after phone calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Missed it

Well, practically; €0.68. ;)

Knine wrote: »
    Missed it
    @Ben - sounds like you have gotten sorted. The CF ROOT KF2 is the kernel. As Villain Rom is based on KF2 firmware, Pulsar is saying that it is most likely to work best with the matching kernel, when 1.4 came out first KF2 kernel wasn't available and the KF1 seemed to work fine. As a general principle it seems logical to try to use the same build number four firmware, kernel, and radio/modem.

How are you finding it? Only thing that bothers me is the browser scrolling being a bit laggy. I installed the fix, but after that my phone kept force closing after phone calls.

Getting invalid index when browsing. I am not sure if this is down to weak signal. i will see if i get this back to dublin. Google works but then search result link will not load.
    It has stalled a couple of times ob reboot.
    Lagging browser has not been an issue since fix.
    will be looking for another rom soon.

After the last post, browser was annoying me again, so tried the fix again. The only problem with the browser was that scrolling through web pages was jumpy. Smooth scrolling back again now after fix, hopefully phone process won't die after calls this time.....

After the last post, browser was annoying me again, so tried the fix again. The only problem with the browser was that scrolling through web pages was jumpy. Smooth scrolling back again now after fix, hopefully phone process won't die after calls this time.....

Hi Zagato, I got fixed up all right. The Villain Rom website is very helpful and the process is relatively straightforward. Happy out with everything now except the battery seems to be dropping faster than I'd like but I'll wait a few days to be certain about that.

I use Dolphin HD browser so haven't experienced any lag issues. Is the tweak not just for the stock browser?

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Getting this phone during the week. Have a quick question, and keep in mind I know next to nothing about Smartphones. What are the benefits of rooting your phone??? It won't brick the phone will it?

Also is 1 gb enough for someone who will be using the net, email and apps??

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

One of the main advantages of rooting is you can use apps that require root access, like AdFree for example (which has stopped working for me recently but I'll assume they'll fix it soon)

• Advertisement

Just wanted to point out, I got my USB OTG CABLE!!

Have to say this is a must accessory for anyone with a SGS2. Tried multiple flash drives and they all worked perfectly and was able to play 1080p videos files.

Also tried a mouse and to my surprise it worked aswell, A little mouse actually popped up on the screen.It was great playing angry birds with it.

Thor wrote: »

Have to say this is a must accessory for anyone with a SGS2. Tried multiple flash drives and they all worked perfectly and was able to play 1080p videos files.

Also tried a mouse and to my surprise it worked aswell, A little mouse actually popped up on the screen.It was great playing angry birds with it.

I got mine last week, didn't think to try a mouse... I did plug in a card reader and was able to flick through 12MP images from my camera, really fast too, no lag. :D

Just plugged in a basic old Microsoft optical mouse, worked no problem. Not sure if I'll ever need it... but it works. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I've an iPhone 3GS and am looking to upgrade in next couple of weeks. I hear the iPhone 5 won't be here until October is that right?. Worth waiting for or should I get this Samsung S2 phone?. Opinions?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I've an iPhone 3GS and am looking to upgrade in next couple of weeks. I hear the iPhone 5 won't be here until October is that right?. Worth waiting for or should I get this Samsung S2 phone?. Opinions?.

All personal taste, if your big into your apple products then wait if your open minded then move... I doubt what apple makes will be a huge amount better.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Where did you order this from? Can you post a link? I ordered one a few weeks ago, got it last week but it was the wrong type (A connector instead of B).

(Also, got my HDTV MHL adapter in the post today, gonna try that out later. It has a port for connecting the normal charger)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

Got my galaxy s2 this mrning from meteor and i like so far! The keyboard is grand and i like that there is a t9 keyboard as well!

Looking forward to messing with this later! :)

seanp_25 wrote: »
    Where did you order this from? Can you post a link? I ordered one a few weeks ago, got it last week but it was the wrong type (A connector instead of B).

(Also, got my HDTV MHL adapter in the post today, gonna try that out later. It has a port for connecting the normal charger)

I purchased this one here, But they just ran out of stock so sent me this one here.

Going to have to get the MHL Hdmi adaptor myself, Where did you purchase yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Leslie91 wrote: »

If you're happy with Apple then stay where you are.If its freedom you want then move to an S2 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

I purchased this one here, But they just ran out of stock so sent me this one here.

Going to have to get the MHL Hdmi adaptor myself, Where did you purchase yours.

Thanks, ordered the second one there.

I got the official Samsung MHL HDMI adapter from here: http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/genuine-samsung-galaxy-s2-i9100-mhl-tv-out-adaptor-p29427.htm

They have other cheaper ones on mobilefun, but I don't know if they have the power connector on them (need to plug your Samsung charger in to the adapter to power the phone when HDMI connected).

Tried it out there, works fine. TV sees it as a 1080i input, all HD videos I played on my phone seem to show on the TV fine (it's not upscaled from the phones 480x800 resolution, it's proper HD). When I wasn't on a video, everything that's on my phone's screen is shown on the TV. When the phone is in portrait mode, it takes up a narrow part of the middle of the screen, in landscape it takes up the full screen (upscaled from 800x480 -> 1080i so graphics, etc aren't as sharp as the HD videos).

I should have checked photos to see if they're output as 8Mpxel->1080i or if they go through 8Mpxel -> 800x480 -> upscale to 1080i.

Anyone know if it's possible to use both the USB OTG functionality and the MHL HDMI output at the same time somehow? Would be very handy to use a mouse to control things when using HDMI out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭amdaley28

seanp_25 wrote: »
    Thanks, ordered the second one there.

I got the official Samsung MHL HDMI adapter from here: http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/genuine-samsung-galaxy-s2-i9100-mhl-tv-out-adaptor-p29427.htm

They have other cheaper ones on mobilefun, but I don't know if they have the power connector on them (need to plug your Samsung charger in to the adapter to power the phone when HDMI connected).

Tried it out there, works fine. TV sees it as a 1080i input, all HD videos I played on my phone seem to show on the TV fine (it's not upscaled from the phones 480x800 resolution, it's proper HD). When I wasn't on a video, everything that's on my phone's screen is shown on the TV. When the phone is in portrait mode, it takes up a narrow part of the middle of the screen, in landscape it takes up the full screen (upscaled from 800x480 -> 1080i so graphics, etc aren't as sharp as the HD videos).

I should have checked photos to see if they're output as 8Mpxel->1080i or if they go through 8Mpxel -> 800x480 -> upscale to 1080i.

Anyone know if it's possible to use both the USB OTG functionality and the MHL HDMI output at the same time somehow? Would be very handy to use a mouse to control things when using HDMI out.

They have the power connector on them as well.There's a video on Mobilefun but they are out of stock at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭brian_ire

Hi all!

Just got my S2 today and i'm delighted with it!

Just a quick question as to what cover/screen protection people are using?

I had the HTC Hero for 2 years and never bothered with anything for it but the S2 feels so delicate and i fear my butter fingers could do it some damage!

I don't want to put a thick case on it as I love its slimness, so I just wanted to see what other boardsies were doing!

Case mate 'barely there', just enough protection IMHO, without bulking the phone up, nice matt back finish too. About £16 on ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I still need to get a case and root and rom it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

I'm trying to backup my rom using rom manager. I've rooted, and I think I've flashed the clockworkmod recovery (It says Current Recovery: ClockWorkMod 4.0.0.2). When I click Backup Mod I get an error saying E: failed to verify whole-file signature, E: signature verification failed. Installation aborted.

Anyone have any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

AAAAAAAHHH wrote: »
    I'm trying to backup my rom using rom manager. I've rooted, and I think I've flashed the clockworkmod recovery (It says Current Recovery: ClockWorkMod 4.0.0.2). When I click Backup Mod I get an error saying E: failed to verify whole-file signature, E: signature verification failed. Installation aborted.

Anyone have any ideas?

Never mind, got it sorted. I had to put the right kernel on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement