Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

niallo24 wrote: »
    Just a quick one (might be in the thread already but its massive!)...I have the notification light set to certain colours for texts/whatsapp but it doesn't seem to come on when I receive anything? Like on my old Motorola Milestone if I got a text the light would stay blue till I looked at it.

Anyone else have this problem? Or is there no notification light at all?!
    No notification light on SII.
    Theres an app called NOLED that a lot of people find handy as a replacement(and cause of the AMOLED screen it uses feck all power)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

For anyone waiting on the 'official' 3Ireland firmware, it's available over on the XDA forums.

Quote from Intratech "3 Ireland XWKF4 firmware and kernel now available"

Find details here.

Hopefully it'll become available via KIES soon. I'm going to give it a try via Odin.

Edit: It is available via KIES - PDA: KF4, PHONE:KF2, CSC:KF1 (3IE)

Has anyone tried updating over KIES? I had it tell me the usb had been disconnected twice while trying to download the update. Then the third time, it got through downloading, moved onto upgrading and has been sitting at 0% for the last half an hour. The cancel option is greyed out.

It looks like my only option is to pull the cable and hope the phone's not bricked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Crucifix wrote: »
    Has anyone tried updating over KIES? I had it tell me the usb had been disconnected twice while trying to download the update. Then the third time, it got through downloading, moved onto upgrading and has been sitting at 0% for the last half an hour. The cancel option is greyed out.

It looks like my only option is to pull the cable and hope the phone's not bricked

Turn the computer off before you pull the cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok bit the bullet and bought one of these today. A noobie to Samsung and Android so a few questions

Charging it for the first time how long should it normally take for first charge?

Was looking for a pouch(not leather) had a look around Dublin today and nothing took my fancy anything online that someone can recommend?

Looking at rooting it and read the topic on it and it does not seem like rocket science. What are the chances of bricking it and what should you do and not do when rooting?

New to Android so what are the apps that users recommend for this phone?

I am sure I will have more when I mess around with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Turn the computer off before you pull the cable.

An error popped up before I shut down and pulled it, the phone is fine (phew).

It seems like it's a problem with the phone staying connected via USB, it also disconnects occasionally while browsing through or transferring files

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

Thinking of getting this phone soon so can anyone tell me is the led flash any good for photos in a living room type environment? I know it's not a dual led and will be nowhere as good as a dedicated camera but I have a Galaxy S and the photos are great just in dim light pretty bad.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Ok bit the bullet and bought one of these today. A noobie to Samsung and Android so a few questions

Charging it for the first time how long should it normally take for first charge?

Was looking for a pouch(not leather) had a look around Dublin today and nothing took my fancy anything online that someone can recommend?

Looking at rooting it and read the topic on it and it does not seem like rocket science. What are the chances of bricking it and what should you do and not do when rooting?

New to Android so what are the apps that users recommend for this phone?

I am sure I will have more when I mess around with it.

IG, some experiences and links etc ref flashing new ROMS and rooting etc on this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056315512.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

got me one of these on saturday and i've fallen in love with Android all over again, phone is simply great, speed of phone is awesome and on vodafone the HSDPA downloads are lightening quick, so glad i moved away from my blackberry torch for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Just tried the 2.3.4 on xda developers and the battery life took a nose dive.. so back to stock 2.3.3 and it feels smoother too.. Also, when on hsdpa+ downloads seem slower than 3g !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Got this phone today - now where's the "And I Jizzed in My Pants" emoticon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

fjsanchez wrote: »

i had the same experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's the one with the rolley eyes. People have been using it incorrectly for years.

I fell in love with this phone when my mate showed me it. Now I have to wait for Meteor to get it back in stock. :(

humanji wrote: »
    It's the one with the rolley eyes. People have been using it incorrectly for years.

I fell in love with this phone when my mate showed me it. Now I have to wait for Meteor to get it back in stock. :(

Brilliant :D

Its well worth the wait though. I had a HTC Hero before this, so obviously enough the dual core processor on the Samsung blew me away

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

humanji wrote: »

Got one today from Meteor store Tallaght...
    I've never had Samsung so a bit to learn. I connected to kies and it upgraded the software.
    It's now showing
    Baseband I9100xxke7
    kernel:wxkf3
    build:xwkf3

Is anybody using a screen protector with the sgs2 or is it even necessary with the gorilla glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Yip

anyone on Vodafone able to tell me what the latest firmware on available on Kies is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Loggie wrote: »
    Is anybody using a screen protector with the sgs2 or is it even necessary with the gorilla glass?

scratched mine first week, and i was careful with it. Get a screen protector, better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Finally bit the bullet and moved away from nokia and got a few of these on upgrades today
    one question

can you personalise your email,text,ringtones with your own tones,or are you stuck with whats on the phone thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Finally bit the bullet and moved away from nokia and got a few of these on upgrades today
    one question

can you personalise your email,text,ringtones with your own tones,or are you stuck with whats on the phone thanks in advance.

You can personalise everything, including changing the default applications that handle email and sms etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

You can personalise everything, including changing the default applications that handle email and sms etc.

Its just the tones i want buddy thats what i liked about nokia you could choose your own mp3s etc for all tones , i know there is some phones out there that you can only use whats pre-installed

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Its just the tones i want buddy thats what i liked about nokia you could choose your own mp3s etc for all tones , i know there is some phones out there that you can only use whats pre-installed

I'm not sure if you can just go into the standard messaging app and change the tones, but there is usually another way to do it.

This app is pretty good, if you like tones and wallpapers etc.

https://market.android.com/details?id=net.zedge.android

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Made a review of the Samsung Galaxy S2, If anyone is thinking of getting one or would care to read it.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

do meteor or o2 lock these?

if they do, does the app to unlock it work?

Cyrus wrote: »
    do meteor or o2 lock these?

if they do, does the app to unlock it work?

Got mine from meteor and its locked. Put in vodafone sim and it asked for a network unlock code.

Haven't rooted yet so haven't tried the app. which app on the market is the best to use. there's a few there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Thor wrote: »
    Made a review of the Samsung Galaxy S2, If anyone is thinking of getting one or would care to read it.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Review

I had a read and it seems balanced and fair. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Got mine today and feel the same :D

Loving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Got one today from Meteor store Tallaght...
    I've never had Samsung so a bit to learn. I connected to kies and it upgraded the software.
    It's now showing
    Baseband I9100xxke7
    kernel:wxkf3
    build:xwkf3

Have you rooted the phone?
    I got mine from Meteor and haven't changed anything but still can't update through kies

Just about to flash VillainRom 2.0, mainly because it's got android 2.3.4 on it.

Will update once finished.

Just updated to VillainRom 2.0.

Update went perfectly. Also update the CF_Root to KG1 and the modem to KG1 aswell.

Going through the difference now, Let's hope I see some improvements and i have read there are some nice ones.

Could someone tell me how much built in memory is in this phone?

• Advertisement

Have you rooted the phone?
    I got mine from Meteor and haven't changed anything but still can't update through kies

I hadn't rooted when I first connected to kies and it updated straight away. Make sure you use the samsung usb cable. Not sure if it made a difference but I had an old one and couldn't conect to kies. Used the samsung and it connected.

On a separate issue I bought titanium backup pro and had it installed on my old nexus. I've now installed it on the sgs2 from the market where it showed as purchased but I can't open it or see it in my apps. It says its installed on markert and apps but I can't open it even from market. I've tried this before rooting and after rooting the phone.
    I have backup pro which I previously purchased and that installed no problem and asked for superuser permission which I allowed and it recognized the phone had root.

Could someone tell me how much built in memory is in this phone?
    Its 16gb split this way according to titanium:
    System Rom:528MB
    Internal (for apps & cache): 2.11GB
    User available: 12.3 GB

MicroSD card slot too.I threw my 8GB in there

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

Thor wrote: »
    Just updated to VillainRom 2.0.

Update went perfectly. Also update the CF_Root to KG1 and the modem to KG1 aswell.

Going through the difference now, Let's hope I see some improvements and i have read there are some nice ones.

stable???

erie wrote: »
    stable???

Perfectly!!

I hadn't rooted when I first connected to kies and it updated straight away. Make sure you use the samsung usb cable. Not sure if it made a difference but I had an old one and couldn't conect to kies. Used the samsung and it connected.

On a separate issue I bought titanium backup pro and had it installed on my old nexus. I've now installed it on the sgs2 from the market where it showed as purchased but I can't open it or see it in my apps. It says its installed on markert and apps but I can't open it even from market. I've tried this before rooting and after rooting the phone.
    I have backup pro which I previously purchased and that installed no problem and asked for superuser permission which I allowed and it recognized the phone had root.

Got titanium pro working I just installed the free version and then the pro version detected the key.

I've also reflashed a stock kernel to get rid of the yellow triangle from rooting. The one I flashed didn't have CWM so reflashed the CF root and now yellow triangle is back.
    If I flash a stock kernel and install CMW tar file with odin will that work? Or maybe buy the jig.

right, need your help folks, will have one of these in my hot little hands tmrw hopefully.

1) i need to unlock it from O2, i really hope that app works. Does the phone need a sim in it to root or to install the software to find the unlock code?

2) whats the fastest most stable rom, im not looking for anything experimental where certain things dont work etc etc, just want something that works and is optimised.

cheers all

1.The app should work since the unlock code is stored on the device. Not sure if you need the SIM in it for the unlock, you dont for rooting. I left it in just to be sure though.

2. Im currently using Litening 2.1. Its fast and seems pretty stable after the 2.1 update. Havnt had any crashs anyway. Villian ROM is another popular one and thats pretty stable too afaik.

Mega Chin wrote: »
    1.The app should work since the unlock code is stored on the device. Not sure if you need the SIM in it for the unlock, you dont for rooting. I left it in just to be sure though.

2. Im currently using Litening 2.1. Its fast and seems pretty stable after the 2.1 update. Havnt had any crashs anyway. Villian ROM is another popular one and thats pretty stable too afaik.

cheers

do they both have touchwiz or not, and if not is that a good thing or a bad thing?

cheers

do they both have touchwiz or not, and if not is that a good thing or a bad thing?
    They both do but its all personal preference. The new touchwiz isnt actually that bad but I still use Go Launcher. Id say try it out and see if you like it.

You might be better off going with one of the older roms like Litening 1.5 instead of 2.1 for the moment. The ones based on 2.3.4 have this kinda lag bug with the stock browser that isnt fixed yet. Or you could just install Dolphin or something as a work around

cheers

They both do but its all personal preference. The new touchwiz isnt actually that bad but I still use Go Launcher. Id say try it out and see if you like it.

You might be better off going with one of the older roms like Litening 1.5 instead of 2.1 for the moment. The ones based on 2.3.4 have this kinda lag bug with the stock browser that isnt fixed yet. Or you could just install Dolphin or something as a work around

• Advertisement

happy to use dolphin, use icab on the iphone over stock anyway

just wondering, will i get a warning triangle once i root or by flashing a custom rom?

Rooted mine to lightening 1.5 still have to get use to it.One thing is there a way to get rid of the yellow triangle on start up? Read that you need a jig to do this anyone done it and if so how? Also where did they get the Samsung Jig from?

If I did want to go back to the default Rom or load up another on how do you do this?

Cheers

Mega Chin wrote: »

What's the browser like in that, has it switched to Skyfire, or is the standard one still there?

Still the stock browser. he had Skyfire in 2.0 but switched back again.
    Browser still has the lag bug but I use dolphin so it doesnt really bother me

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Got titanium pro working I just installed the free version and then the pro version detected the key.

I've also reflashed a stock kernel to get rid of the yellow triangle from rooting. The one I flashed didn't have CWM so reflashed the CF root and now yellow triangle is back.
    If I flash a stock kernel and install CMW tar file with odin will that work? Or maybe buy the jig.

Thanks, after a few attempts last night and again this morning i finally got to update.

i was wondering, if for some reason you had to return your phone to meteor, how would you reflash the phone back to the official meteor firmware?

i want to flash a different rom but am afraid that i wouldnt be able to return the phone if a fault occurs because i dont have the meteor rom on the phone.

sorry for bugging you with questions!!!

Thanks, after a few attempts last night and again this morning i finally got to update.

i was wondering, if for some reason you had to return your phone to meteor, how would you reflash the phone back to the official meteor firmware?

i want to flash a different rom but am afraid that i wouldnt be able to return the phone if a fault occurs because i dont have the meteor rom on the phone.

sorry for bugging you with questions!!!

You can find the meteor firmware plus most other providers here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1113928

@irishgunner the jig is available from mobiletechvideo.com around $9 inc shipping probably available elsewhere but don't know where. Think I'll get one myself handy if you do alot of flashing.

I did a backup in cwm of my original rom if I had to restore that does anyone know if that would suffice if phone had to be returned to meteor for repair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

A stupid question I am sure but how do I download the update from 3?

I rooted my meteor phone and so was able to unlock it with chainfire's app from the market. Simple

You can find the meteor firmware plus most other providers here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1113928

@irishgunner the jig is available from mobiletechvideo.com around $9 inc shipping probably available elsewhere but don't know where. Think I'll get one myself handy if you do alot of flashing.

Thanks for that looks a handy device if flashing and to get rid of that annoying triangle on boot. If I do want to go back to the 02 firmware that was on the phone originally then the various downloads on the xda site will do correct?

When installing a new rom on your phone do you have to go through the rooting again or just turn it on in download mode connect it to odin and locate the rom using pda and then start ?

Has anyone installed the boot screen as per Mobiletechvideo

Also anywhere to get good themes as not really impressed with the lightening rom screen. Liked the original screen that you can scroll to 6 different screens lightening only has 1. Anything I can do to get something similar.

Apologies for all the noobie questions but only new to Android so still learing

Cheers

• Advertisement

Thanks for that looks a handy device if flashing and to get rid of that annoying triangle on boot. If I do want to go back to the 02 firmware that was on the phone originally then the various downloads on the xda site will do correct?

When installing a new rom on your phone do you have to go through the rooting again or just turn it on in download mode connect it to odin and locate the rom using pda and then start ?

Has anyone installed the boot screen as per Mobiletechvideo

Also anywhere to get good themes as not really impressed with the lightening rom screen. Liked the original screen that you can scroll to 6 different screens lightening only has 1. Anything I can do to get something similar.

Apologies for all the noobie questions but only new to Android so still learing

Cheers

You just flash with odin as far as I can see.
    Here's a guide to flash a custom rom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3ttqtIAER4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

You can get different launchers from the market which you can install instead of touchwiz. You can always go back to touchwiz.
    Most have free version with the option to buy which may give you widgets
    I've bought launcherpro in the past, the purchased version has widgets like touch sense. Golauncher and adw.launcher are others that are popular.

Haven't flashed a rom yet myself. I had a nexus one for over a year which I flashed different roms once a week nearly. Its a little different on samsung. Only learning about samsung and odin etc.

Advertisement