Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Just taught I would mention.

There is a new app for android's and it work's perfectly on the Samsung galaxy S2.

It's called Emit!!

Anyone who had an iphone!! Think Air video.This is great because the one other app plex that did the same thing, Doesn't work properly on the SGS2. So this app is pretty great to see, Also has a download function built in aswell.

You can check out over here

http://www.emitapp.com/index.html#about

It's available on the Android market, There is both a paid and free version. The free version has ad's but does the exact same as the paid version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

The Gmail app seems to group similar emails by default.

Anyone know how to switch this off, so each email is kept seperate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

anyone having any bother with the phone ringing? sometimes when im receiving a call it only rings on loud for 2 or 3 seconds and then goes silent until it rings out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

On the Meteor website it says these are out of stock. Is that just online or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 hunter29

On the meteor website it dose say it is out of stock but when I called them up to upgrade there was no problem. I got the phone on Tuesday and it was only €139

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I was reading all the great reviews about this phone on this forum so decided to jump on the bandwagon. Really regreting it. Miss my Motorola Atri 4G.

NO HDMI out socket. (Miss watching movies hooked up to my HD Tv, or viewing HD videos i recorded and watching them as well) Lack of fingerprint scanner. Super AMOLED Plus isn't all its made out to be also i am running Lightening rom V2.2. So yea overall not impressed.

I was reading all the great reviews about this phone on this forum so decided to jump on the bandwagon. Really regreting it. Miss my Motorola Atri 4G.

NO HDMI out socket. (Miss watching movies hooked up to my HD Tv, or viewing HD videos i recorded and watching them as well) Lack of fingerprint scanner. Super AMOLED Plus isn't all its made out to be also i am running Lightening rom V2.2. So yea overall not impressed.

You can get a HDMI adaptor for the SGS2, Also fingerprint scanners are overrated.

You can get a face detection scanner for android!! Much cooler!!

You can get a HDMI cable for the SGS2, and also the 8mp camera takes video in HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Thor wrote: »
    You can get a HDMI adaptor for the SGS2, Also fingerprint scanners are overrated.

You can get a face detection scanner for android!! Much cooler!!

No fingerprint scanners are cool much quicker to get back into phone when its locked. Rather than putting in a long password.
    hunter29 wrote: »
    You can get a HDMI cable for the SGS2, and also the 8mp camera takes video in HD.

Where does the HDMI cable plug into. theres nowhere on my phone unless there is different models. didnt think there was!

No fingerprint scanners are cool much quicker to get back into phone when its locked. Rather than putting in a long password.

Where does the HDMI cable plug into. theres nowhere on my phone unless there is different models. didnt think there was!

I find the pattern lock's pretty quick.

Here is a link to the HDMI adaptor.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/genuine-samsung-galaxy-s2-i9100-mhl-tv-out-adaptor-p29427.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

morning all,

got my sgs2 yesterday, immediately unlocked and debranded so now on latest xeu firmware (altho my kernal appears to be older should i upgrade to match?)

i have a casemate back cover, should i get a screen protector or is it pretty scratch resistant (i baby phones anyway)

coming from ios4 i find touchwiz a little odd looking, altho i havent done anything with it yet, are there any cool widgets (weather, stocks etc) that can spruce it up, or should i go for a launcher? does the launcher cover it totally or how does it work?

anyone want to share their home screens to give me inspiration?

finally is there a way to have folders, ie put all games in a folder?

cheers

Lads wtf is going on, i have vodafone adaption on webpages? never had that on the iphone, it sucks, any way to avoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

Cyrus wrote: »

anyone want to share their home screens to give me inspiration?

cheers

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1055084

yeah open up the app drawer, hit the menu button and press edit. then just long press and drag all your games to the bottom right add folder icon and when you're done long press and drag the new folder into the app drawer

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

Is anyone having trouble updating social hub? Mine won't update since yesterday. I get a popup message saying "Service Temporarily Unavailable" when I drag down to update. It's like this all day today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Simi folder is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

After playing with it for a while battery beginning to drain

What are users best settings to stop battery drain?

Also is there any 02 App to show how much you have on your account and data that you used up? Posted on 02 forum and they said there was none but pre rooting the phone I thought there was one on it ?

I have my SGS2 for nearly a week now and it is the best phone I have ever held. I want to ask if there is anyone out there that could tell me how to change the back ground of the unlock screen. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I have my SGS2 for nearly a week now and it is the best phone I have ever held. I want to ask if there is anyone out there that could tell me how to change the back ground of the unlock screen. Thanks
    Settings > Display > Screen Display > Lock Screen Wallpaper

Thanks need to spend some more time with the settings and stop messing with the apps. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Yep go into settings/wireless/.../ access points and remove the "proxy" setting for the access point - then save. Banner will be gone.

Lads wtf is going on, i have vodafone adaption on webpages? never had that on the iphone, it sucks, any way to avoid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ziggy_Stardust

Hi Guys, picked myself up a SGS2 today and loving it.

I want to start transferring some music over to it but I've a large library of music on itunes and it'll take ages to get it all right in Kies if i was to start that craic. Is there anyway of connecting the galaxy s 2 to itunes and putting music on the phone that way?

Thanks,
    Zig

I think Doubletwist might do this but I'm not 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

yeah you can have Doubletwist sync playlists from itunes, very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 4 joeymcd

where do you fine doubletwist.It it on the phone or in itunes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

its an app available on the market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

If your using touchwiz 4.0 then you just hit edit on the main applications screen, from there you can add folders and/or pages. Handy to stick all your games/tools and what not into folders.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭da4i's

Hi guys,

Hope this isnt the wrong place to post this but does anyone know how much this phone is with the Smart 18 month contract with 200 mins with Meteor bill plan? [25 euro p/m]

The website just says "out of stock" and doesnt give any prices :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ziggy_Stardust

doubletwist worked perfect, thanks lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

da4i's wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Hope this isnt the wrong place to post this but does anyone know how much this phone is with the Smart 18 month contract with 200 mins with Meteor bill plan? [25 euro p/m]

Thanks for your help,
    Dave

Why don't you try ringing them and they will be able to tell you either way

• Advertisement

couple of qns lads,

i have an app to reorder all my apps alphabetically and it works, but randomly later on they will revert back to whatever they were before they were ordered, anything i can do to prevent this?

secondly is there any app or procedure to improve screen calibration, i find it not quite as responsive as my Iphone 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

da4i's wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thanks for your help,
    Dave

Last time it was something like 140 euro and I missed it by few hours... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I got a load of update settings messages from Vodafone the other day. When I went to install them, an error message came up (too quick to read properly or take down) and when the message disappeared so did the service messages for installation.

Is my phone damaged or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Got one this morning on VF prepay.
    Firmware changed from KE5 to KE7, rooted, then sim-unlocked for me to use with my 3 account. Just moving everything over from my htc desire now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

On the meteor website it dose say it is out of stock but when I called them up to upgrade there was no problem. I got the phone on Tuesday and it was only €139
    What bill package are you on, guy in Meteor shop said €250 for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

BopNiblets wrote: »
    What bill package are you on, guy in Meteor shop said €250 for me.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056315920

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Anyone else having trouble with Kies?

It's only worked once for me despite trying on different browsers and different internet connections,when i enter in the http://........... as per the address as shown on my GS2 it just times out, i thought it may have been something to do with a firewall but i don't think it is, it's a pain if im looking to delete and/or move files, it means i have to tak out the battery and SD card,copy whatever files onto the SD card then move them via root explorer.

anyone any ideas/suggestions?

Other than that it's a serious piece of kit and after rooting/flashing custom ROM, freezing the Samsung bloatware via Titanium Backup im now getting 25+ hours battery life.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble with Kies?

It's only worked once for me despite trying on different browsers and different internet connections,when i enter in the http://........... as per the address as shown on my GS2 it just times out, i thought it may have been something to do with a firewall but i don't think it is, it's a pain if im looking to delete and/or move files, it means i have to tak out the battery and SD card,copy whatever files onto the SD card then move them via root explorer.

anyone any ideas/suggestions?

Other than that it's a serious piece of kit and after rooting/flashing custom ROM, freezing the Samsung bloatware via Titanium Backup im now getting 25+ hours battery life.

which rom are you using?

does the samsung stuff matter if you arent using it anyway?

which rom are you using?

does the samsung stuff matter if you arent using it anyway?

Cognition 1.15 one of the better if not the best IMO.

Yeah the Samsung bloatware in particular Software Update will eat away with your battery, ive noticed a substantial increase in battery life since ive frozen this bloatware, there is a comphrensive list on the XDA Galaxy 2 section of apps that are safe to freeze check it out yourself.

Cant understand the Kies thing though it's baffling me:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

just upgraded to a sgs2 from htc desire

how the heck do i setup rss feeds to the sites i want? cant come across how to do it, the stock news app just seems to drag stuff from wherever it wants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I just use the Google Reader app.
    Pulse would be another popular one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

What browser is everyone using? Im using the stock browser and find it vedy hard ti control it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Big al

Any one interested in buying a sim free model from Amazon should have a look at this blog post

http://www.alanconroy.eu/the-blog/2011/7/12/samsung-galaxy-sii-pricing-on-amazoncouk.html

I was quite surprised at the price volatility on the phone on amazon. Hope someone finds it of use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

With delivery reports enabled. is there any way to stop it beeping when the text is receivedb

very annoying to me, my old desire didnt do it n i cant see how to make it stop bar disabling delivery reports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Anyone try the leaked 'official' KG2 firmware? Was going to flash it this morning.

Having a good few FC with the official 3Ireland firmware. (updated about a week or two ago via KIES)

Edit: I can confirm that the 2G/3G switch over isn't as good on the generic firmware as it is on the 3Ireland firmware.
    Three obviously tweak the settings on the firmware to make the transition smoother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

BArra wrote: »
    With delivery reports enabled. is there any way to stop it beeping when the text is receivedb

very annoying to me, my old desire didnt do it n i cant see how to make it stop bar disabling delivery reports

Yeah I know, my Hero usen't do it either, I just want to be able to select the message and then see if it's been delivered or not - or have a tick beside it or something. The best way to fix this might be just to use another SMS app such as Handcent sms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

BArra wrote: »

Switch to GOSms - has a handy little tick on the text when it has been received - no sound!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

have this phone a few weeks now. last couple of days im haven serious battery problems. havent done anything to the phone since i bought it. will updating the phone improve battery life. not very techie with these sort of things,is it complicated to simply update to the most recent version??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Marco85 wrote: »
    have this phone a few weeks now. last couple of days im haven serious battery problems. havent done anything to the phone since i bought it. will updating the phone improve battery life. not very techie with these sort of things,is it complicated to simply update to the most recent version??

If you are suddenly having battery problems for no particular reason, then it is probably related to an app that you have just installed, try uninstalling anything that you have installed in the last couple of days and seeing if that fixes it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

One to watch out for if anyone is having fierce battery drain.
    I installed the pumps.ie app and checked prices in my local area, knocked off wifi and had data disabled. About 10 minutes later I picked up the phone and it was roasting, battery was after taking a hit so I looked in active apps and pumps was eating my cpu usage at 90 odd %.

Checking battery stats it had used 11% battery in those few minutes. Removed the app and have had no problems ect since. Might be worth keeping an eye on for anyone else using it

• Advertisement
Advertisement