Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Thing is though, I'm having trouble getting tap to focus to work on nearly everything I try and take a picture off in macro mode. Also, as I can see it become focused before it locks in out of focus surely this would indicate a problem. I mean if its physically possible for the camera to focus the image, but the software appears to be telling it that it can't.

It would usually be the other way around, have you tried a factory reset?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭aliaslinden

Yep, tried factory reset. Upgraded camera firmware, upgraded phone firmware. No luck. Yeah, the focus goes from out of focus, to focused, to out of focus again. For some reason if I digitally zoom a little it focuses again!

Ah well, gonna contact Samsung again in the morning. Am not looking forward to having to deal with the morally barren pricks working in the local Meteor store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

Any date yet for the official release of 2.3.4?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Any date yet for the official release of 2.3.4?

Just flash and you can have it two months ago :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Just upgraded to SGSII yesterday from SGS, so far so good, it's nice and snappy on 2.3.3 (XWKE2) compared to Darkys on SGS it seems faster.
    I read 2.3.5 is coming out eventually so I might wait for that, has there been any major changes in 2.3.4? I read something about the GPS?

Any custom ROMs using the lock key as a camera button by the way? That was cool feature on Darkys. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Just upgraded to SGSII yesterday from SGS, so far so good, it's nice and snappy on 2.3.3 (XWKE2) compared to Darkys on SGS it seems faster.
    I read 2.3.5 is coming out eventually so I might wait for that, has there been any major changes in 2.3.4? I read something about the GPS?

Any custom ROMs using the lock key as a camera button by the way? That was cool feature on Darkys. :)
    None using the lock key I know of but a few are using the volume buttons like my one.
    Currently using CriskeloRomV10.1 with Ninphetamine-2.0.5 kernel and she stable as fcuk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Anyone have any opinions on the best rom (custom or not) so far?

or will I just wait for cm7?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Anyone else having problems with their car's bluetooth and this phone? I get distorted audio at frequent intervals, almost like crackling, which makes it hard to make out what the other person is saying!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Samsung's KG2 is working great for me (Android 2.3.4 to enable video chat in Google Talk). No need to change it for now :D maybe when CM7 matures in a few months

The amount of functionality in the stock ROM is amazing, they've done a great job on it.

I'd recommend rooting alright to give you more useful apps (TheftAware...), but everything else is OK for me.

seanp_25 wrote: »
    Samsung's KG2 is working great for me (Android 2.3.4 to enable video chat in Google Talk). No need to change it for now :D maybe when CM7 matures in a few months

Cool, i must borrow a windows laptop and update it to ke2 and see how it goes until cm7 comes out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Batista70 rom is the best Ive found so far. Call recording, crt screen off animation that isnt garbled, subtle but nicer than stock theme, aosp lockscreen, being able to use the volume buttons to take pictures in the camera app and bln support are a few things that I like about it

Thanks, I must actually bother to read up on heimdall and bother to root and flash some roms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Is it possible to connect to the internet via USB with this phone? I've got my laptop on a wired connection, no access to wireless atm, bad 3g signal. It'd be great to be able to plug in and let listen download new podcasts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Crucifix wrote: »
    Is it possible to connect to the internet via USB with this phone? I've got my laptop on a wired connection, no access to wireless atm, bad 3g signal. It'd be great to be able to plug in and let listen download new podcasts

Try this - http://www.connectify.me/

Isn't that what USB tethering is? It's in Settings, Wireless and network, Tethering and portable hotspot.

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Isn't that what USB tethering is? It's in Settings, Wireless and network, Tethering and portable hotspot.
    Tetherings the other way around. Using the phones internet connection through the pc

I'd like to know this too.

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Tetherings the other way around. Using the phones internet connection through the pc
    Oh ok, cheers.

I know the HTCs have(or had anyway) and Internet Passthrough option for this. Remember it was a cnut to get working though (for me anyway)

Looks like this is way more complicated than I would have thought: http://blog.mycila.com/2010/06/reverse-usb-tethering-with-android-22.html

Kenny Logins' suggestion to use connectify.me to connect over WiFi might be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

seanp_25 wrote: »
    Looks like this is way more complicated than I would have thought: http://blog.mycila.com/2010/06/reverse-usb-tethering-with-android-22.html

Kenny Logins' suggestion to use connectify.me to connect over WiFi might be better.

Yeah, it's frustrating, I remember that it used to happen automatically when I plugged my HTC Touch (WM 6.0) into the laptop via USB, which was pretty handy at the time, for downloading stuff for offline use, as I had no data bundle. Seems like a backwards step that it's awkward to do now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

just moved across from the galaxy s to the GS2 :) i got one Question before i go rooting and romming :)

on the GS1 it called out the name of the caller and the texter via driving mode in the settings and now on the GS2 it calls out te caller but when i get a text it just calls out the texter's number rather then the name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

For those asking about using internet's wired connection, I've followed this guide and it worked fine, though it does say that it won't work with every network card.

Sets your laptop up as a wireless access point (with WPA supported), then routes the traffic through your wired connection :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Is there a generally agreed favourite/most stable set-up with custom roms etc. or is a down to personal preference?

Got the S2 last week and enjoying it immensely so far but wouldn't object to longer battery life or other software upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DrainBamaged

"Step 3 - Updating CF-ROOT Kernel Now you are on VillainRom you will need to update the kernel to match the rom. At the time of writing this is the KG1 kernel (but check in IRC or on the rom post if your not sure). This time you will want to keep this as a .zip file. First of all, install VRTweaks from http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/sh...v1.3.1-(29-May), and install it. Place the CF-ROOT .zip file onto your phone and then open the "CWM" app, once open go to "flash kernel" and point it to that .zip file. The phone will reboot."
    I don't understand this part. I've done everything to the letter in the guide ([26/7][XXKG3] VillainROM 2.3 for SGS2 < The ROM Noonski couldn't drain the battery on - xda-developers) but now I'm stuck. How do I get to "flash kernel" I don't see the option to do so either in recovery or in the app itself?

I cannot see cmw manager in my app drawer, advice please?

"Step 3 - Updating CF-ROOT Kernel Now you are on VillainRom you will need to update the kernel to match the rom. At the time of writing this is the KG1 kernel (but check in IRC or on the rom post if your not sure). This time you will want to keep this as a .zip file. First of all, install VRTweaks from http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/sh...v1.3.1-(29-May), and install it. Place the CF-ROOT .zip file onto your phone and then open the "CWM" app, once open go to "flash kernel" and point it to that .zip file. The phone will reboot."
    I don't understand this part. I've done everything to the letter in the guide ([26/7][XXKG3] VillainROM 2.3 for SGS2 < The ROM Noonski couldn't drain the battery on - xda-developers) but now I'm stuck. How do I get to "flash kernel" I don't see the option to do so either in recovery or in the app itself?

I cannot see cmw manager in my app drawer, advice please?

Why are you flashing 2.3, 2.4 has been out for the last 2 weeks. It's a different thread over at XDA because that one got too big. It's based on KG6

To answer your question though, before you flashed the ROM you should have rooted using chainfire's method, and would therefore have the CWM manager app.

If you haven't done this you can just flash the kernel via Odin as per instructions in Chainfire's kernel thread, I think there's a link to it the instructions you are following.

Villain ROM team suggesting to use Ninphetamine 2.05 now though, link in my signature

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DrainBamaged

Zagato wrote: »
    Why are you flashing 2.3, 2.4 has been out for the last 2 weeks. It's a different thread over at XDA because that one got too big. It's based on KG6

To answer your question though, before you flashed the ROM you should have rooted using chainfire's method, and would therefore have the CWM manager app.

If you haven't done this you can just flash the kernel via Odin as per instructions in Chainfire's kernel thread, I think there's a link to it the instructions you are following.

Villain ROM team suggesting to use Ninphetamine 2.05 now though, link in my signature

I did get 2.4 perharps the instructions were for an older version, I'm a total neophyte when it comes to thinks like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Hi all,
    My asus transformer appears dead - it ran out of battery while I was away and now, although its fully charged, it won't do anything. Wont turn on, can't see it from the pc etc.

I've tried everything - hold the power button for 10/15/20/30 seconds, removed the sd card, stood on my head, held my breath for 4 hours.

Nothing works. Any ideas before I pack it off to Asus for repair?

thanks,

I did get 2.4 perharps the instructions were for an older version, I'm a total neophyte when it comes to thinks like this.

Oh, okay, well then you just need to flash chainfire's KG6 kernel via Odin as a PDA. His thread is usually pretty clouds to the villain ROM one

• Advertisement

Hi guys, just updated to XXKG6 and noticed the styles for the Messaging app have gone, you could change the colours from the standard blue/yellow like in Handcent, did it get removed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Yeah they seemed to dissapear with the ke7 update. Afaik you can install them again though, Im nearly sure theres a link on xda developers with a .apk for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Just got allshare working with my new philips tv :)
    Very easy to use. Used the OTG cable I got off ebay (they sent me 2) with a memory stick to see how it plays off that, works a treat too!

5500 wrote: »
    Yeah they seemed to dissapear with the ke7 update. Afaik you can install them again though, Im nearly sure theres a link on xda developers with a .apk for it
    Cool cheers, I'll have a look for that (but a link would speed things up! ;) )

I've also noticed Swype on it seems to be rather jittery, I turned off the word suggestions for example but they still show up, and when I try to place the cursor in the middle of a word it jumps to the end and I have to click again. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

If anyone can help me with this please i would gratefully appreciate it. Got someone to root and flash VillainRom for me this evening and i have lost my 3g data connection which i need for work badly. I am after looking around but no-one seems to have a definitive answer. I have tampered a bit now and added an extra APN so may have added to the confusion. I have a Galaxy S2 am on 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

If anyone can help me with this please i would gratefully appreciate it. Got someone to root and flash VillainRom for me this evening and i have lost my 3g data connection which i need for work badly. I am after looking around but no-one seems to have a definitive answer. I have tampered a bit now and added an extra APN so may have added to the confusion. I have a Galaxy S2 am on 3.

Might be a silly question, but i don't know your skill level with android! :)

Have you made sure that data network mode is active in the settings, or through the power menu?

• Advertisement

Do you mean you don't have 3G data, or you don't have data at all?

Is data switched on?
    - From home screen Menu >> Settings >> Wireless and Network >> Mobile Network -Use Packet Data (should be checked)

If you have 2G data, well then just below the Use Packet Data is Network Mode which allows you to toggle between 2G only, 3G only, 2G/3G Auto (these 3 options will likely be different for Three (I'm with Vodafone), but you should be able to figure it out.

If this is of no help, when you added the APN, was there no APN for Three already there - and if so are you sure you put it in correctly (can't help you very much here.

If you have installed any battery saving type apps that might control your data connection (like super power, juice defender, tasker, etc) uninstall them.

Hope this is of some help, if you have any additional info that might help elaborate the problem post, and will help if I can.
    Certainly I didn't have these problems after flashing VillainROM.

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Might be a silly question, but i don't know your skill level with android! :)

Have you made sure that data network mode is active in the settings, or through the power menu?

no expert but yeah hold down power button and its activated, thanks

Do you mean you don't have 3G data, or you don't have data at all?

Is data switched on?
    - From home screen Menu >> Settings >> Wireless and Network >> Mobile Network -Use Packet Data (should be checked)

If you have 2G data, well then just below the Use Packet Data is Network Mode which allows you to toggle between 2G only, 3G only, 2G/3G Auto (these 3 options will likely be different for Three (I'm with Vodafone), but you should be able to figure it out.

If this is of no help, when you added the APN, was there no APN for Three already there - and if so are you sure you put it in correctly (can't help you very much here.

If you have installed any battery saving type apps that might control your data connection (like super power, juice defender, tasker, etc) uninstall them.

Hope this is of some help, if you have any additional info that might help elaborate the problem post, and will help if I can.
    Certainly I didn't have these problems after flashing VillainROM.
    Packet data is on, im pretty sure i have the most up to date APN data in. I added a second apn and filled it in thoroughly and still no dice

I have auto mode selected and in the server option within in the APN i have a web address listed even though my gf who is also on 3 has this setting kept empty on her wildfire so i am at a loss as to what to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

no expert but yeah hold down power button and its activated, thanks

Are you sorted then? :D

EDIT: Nevermind, i see that you aren't.

I shouldn't see how a 2nd APN would cause any issues, as long as the one you are choosing has correct settings in it!

I've apn back to restore to default now and still nothing 3.5 hours later, I am tearing my hair out as i bet it is something simple. Should i just reflash the rom?

• Advertisement

I presume that VillainROM should work fine with Three, but couldn't swear to it. There are a load of Irish guys on XDA (a lot of them on Three), so would head to this thread find a poster who's also on Three and PM them.

Did the guy who flashed the ROM update the Radio? You can check this by going to Menu >> Settings >> About Phone

Baseband Version should say I9100XXKG6

If it doesn't, let us know and can walk you through updating it.

Out of interest when you go into menu >> settings >> about phone >> status - what Mobile network type does it say?

No harm to reflash the ROM I would reflash villainROM, this should be easy enough if you have clockwork recovery mod. Make sure to do a full wipe/factory reset before you do this - In fact this is a good idea whenever you have any problems after flashing ROM, so would do this it should only take 10 minutes.

I used VillainRom on 3

I only have 1 APN and its setup like this:
    Name: 3 Ireland
    APN: 3ireland.ie
    Proxy:
    Port:
    Username:
    Password:
    Server:
    MMSC: http://mms.um.3ireland.ie:10021/mmsc
    MMS proxy: mms.3ireland.ie
    MMS port: 8799
    MCC:272
    MNC:05
    Auth Type:
    APN type: internet + mms

Anything blank is not set

Delete the ones you have and try this

Mega Chin wrote: »
    I used VillainRom on 3

I only have 1 APN and its setup like this:
    Name: 3 Ireland
    APN: 3ireland.ie
    Proxy:
    Port:
    Username:
    Password:
    Server:
    MMSC: http://mms.um.3ireland.ie:10021/mmsc
    MMS proxy: mms.3ireland.ie
    MMS port: 8799
    MCC:272
    MNC:05
    Auth Type:
    APN type: internet + mms

Anything blank is not set

Delete the ones you have and try this

Did that and started from scratch and still wont work. Thanks though

I presume that VillainROM should work fine with Three, but couldn't swear to it. There are a load of Irish guys on XDA (a lot of them on Three), so would head to this thread find a poster who's also on Three and PM them.

Did the guy who flashed the ROM update the Radio? You can check this by going to Menu >> Settings >> About Phone

Out of interest when you go into menu >> settings >> about phone >> status - what Mobile network type does it say?

No harm to reflash the ROM I would reflash villainROM, this should be easy enough if you have clockwork recovery mod. Make sure to do a full wipe/factory reset before you do this - In fact this is a good idea whenever you have any problems after flashing ROM, so would do this it should only take 10 minutes.

Cheers for this fella. I will have a look in a few hours when i have more time. Briefly though that is the radio it says i have. I might get in touch with you after if that's ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

Is it worth trying to push trough an upgrade early on Vodafone for the S2 which may allow it to be free or buy sim free? Sim free means no firmware update delays, and possibility of leaving Vodafone after my contract is up if required.

Not sure if there's a better network to be on as Vodafone's network is dead slow on the iPhone 4. Not always in a 3G area with Vodafone so it takes an age to do anything data wise.

If I upgrade I will also loose the 2gb data and the free roaming data :-(

To be honest, Kies (the software you're supposed to upgrade through) is such a pain in the ar$e, it's actually easier to upgrade via odin -and you can always get the most up to date firmware for this, so I wouldn't worry to much about whether it's Sim free or sim locked.

I got one of the very first SGS2's (Day1) from Vodafone and it had Vodafone branding on it and therefore requires Vodafone to sanction any firmware updates before they're released. I don't know whether it is sim-locked or not though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I don't know whether it is sim-locked or not though.
    *#7465625# should let you see the lock status. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

To be honest, Kies (the software you're supposed to upgrade through) is such a pain in the ar$e, it's actually easier to upgrade via odin -and you can always get the most up to date firmware for this, so I wouldn't worry to much about whether it's Sim free or sim locked.

I got one of the very first SGS2's (Day1) from Vodafone and it had Vodafone branding on it and therefore requires Vodafone to sanction any firmware updates before they're released. I don't know whether it is sim-locked or not though.

So the question is - upgrade with Vodafone for possibly free and loose the 2gb data add-on, free data roaming and stick with slow data connection speeds, or buy sim-free and move to another carrier when contact is up who offer better speeds (maybe 3 or O2)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

jammer84 wrote: »

So the question is - upgrade with Vodafone for possibly free and loose the 2gb data add-on, free data roaming and stick with slow data connection speeds, or buy sim-free and move to another carrier when contact is up who offer better speeds (maybe 3 or O2)...

Are the others quicker where you are? Vodafone are lightening quick in Dublin

got it sorted today in 3 shop, problem related to multiple network selection not APn's. Thanks though.

One last gripe................Is three's 3g network really this bad with the newest radio. Went for a pint this evening and had to give up on trying to read the news on my phone. Makes me feel sad and nostalgic for my old original desire on o2's data network, you could download apps and updates ANYWHERE in dublin without a bother. Shame they didn't give a shiz about their customers....

• Advertisement
Advertisement