Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Finally got my phone into proper recovery after re-flashing the kernel, prior to that it was just flashing into the 'blue' recovery. Flashed the shiny and new KH3 radio (on XDA it is supposed to be mega strong and in turn magic for your battery.........

Still haven't achieved a 'H' signal on the phone since rooting and flashing. have PM' d the 3 Ireland reps here so will see. At this stage perhaps it is the sim card? Im at a loss to know now but proper frustrated having almost zero data capability. Thanks for the suggestions and help folks.

How can you tell what version radio your rom has?
    Is it listed in the settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

yep, mine was KG6 but flashed KH3 as it supposed to be better but evidently my problem isn't the radio as i cannot get anything higher than E when out and about. It's under baseband in your about phone/settings

Oh cool, so a rom with a KH3 baseband, means the radio is KH3 also!
    I thought they were two seperate things for some reason :pac:

I'm also using a KH3 based rom that I flashed on Saturday, but like you my data connection constantly jumps! It mainly stays on 3g, but will bounce down to E and back or up to H+ and back down, all the time being in the same spot.

This is my 4th different phone since March, and none of the other 3 (2 androids and a Nokia) had this happening at all to them :mad:

marcbrophy wrote: »

I'm also using a KH3 based rom that I flashed on Saturday, but like you my data connection constantly jumps! It mainly stays on 3g, but will bounce down to E and back or up to H+ and back down, all the time being in the same spot.

This is my 4th different phone since March, and none of the other 3 (2 androids and a Nokia) had this happening at all to them :mad:

Think so. Didn't think there were KH3 based roms yet? Yeah i am running Villainrom 2.4.2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

marcbrophy wrote: »

This constant swapping between 3G and 2G network can cause battery drain, you may get some benefit in turning off Fast Dormancy. Can't remember exactly how I did it, but if you search this forum I posted about it before.

Basically Fast Dormancy allows your phone to switch rapidly between 2G and 3G without causing a significant battery drain, and the phone can switch as frequently as every 7 seconds. It is enabled by default on SGS2. Sounds good right, but your network has to support it. The only network that I know of that supports it is O2's UK network. I asked Vodafone on their forum hear -got the usual polite, enthusiastic response about finding me an answer, and then they just let the thread disappear back through the pages and it's never seen, heard or followed up again.

Switching fast dormancy off will reduce how frequently your phone switches between 2G/3G if you're in borderline coverage. I would say it has helped things ....a bit:p

EDIT: Here's the post

Also if a ROM is based on a particular firmware release say VR2.4.2 which is based on KG6, it doesn't mean that after you flash it you will have that radio/modem, but you are right that 'baseband' is your radio version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Hi lads, whats the story with the alarm? Can I change the sound of it? My main question is CAN I PUT IT ON SNOOZE? I can't find a straight forward answer anywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

niallo24 wrote: »

Looks like the patent it related to the Gallery app...which would be the stock Android gallery app so a Google product. Cowardly bastards wont take on the owners of it though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Hi lads, whats the story with the alarm? Can I change the sound of it? My main question is CAN I PUT IT ON SNOOZE? I can't find a straight forward answer anywhere!

When creating the alarm, all the option for snooze and alarm type are there under the time you want to set :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Dempsey wrote: »
    When creating the alarm, all the option for snooze and alarm type are there under the time you want to set :confused:
    I am extremely thick. I really am. Is it possible to give a thumbs down to myself? Thank you :)

• Advertisement

Think so. Didn't think there were KH3 based roms yet? Yeah i am running Villainrom 2.4.2.

Yeah, they started appearing last week over on XDA. I'm using lite'ning rom v6.1 and i can't fault it at all!
    Zagato wrote: »
    This constant swapping between 3G and 2G network can cause battery drain, you may get some benefit in turning off Fast Dormancy. Can't remember exactly how I did it, but if you search this forum I posted about it before.

Basically Fast Dormancy allows your phone to switch rapidly between 2G and 3G without causing a significant battery drain, and the phone can switch as frequently as every 7 seconds. It is enabled by default on SGS2. Sounds good right, but your network has to support it. The only network that I know of that supports it is O2's UK network. I asked Vodafone on their forum hear -got the usual polite, enthusiastic response about finding me an answer, and then they just let the thread disappear back through the pages and it's never seen, heard or followed up again.

Switching fast dormancy off will reduce how frequently your phone switches between 2G/3G if you're in borderline coverage. I would say it has helped things ....a bit:p

EDIT: Here's the post

Also if a ROM is based on a particular firmware release say VR2.4.2 which is based on KG6, it doesn't mean that after you flash it you will have that radio/modem, but you are right that 'baseband' is your radio version

Thanks Zag, that's a good description of fast dormancy, cos i really didn't know what it was. Problem is that i already turned this off when i got the phone at the start of the month (all the XDA rom cookers recommend it, but never tell you what it is!! :D). When i go into the sysdump screen, i only have the option to re-enable fast dormancy!!

jammer84 wrote: »
    I used this app and it successfully unlocked the phone for me: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.helroz.galaxysunlock

IMEI, etc are all still prefectly intacked and checked with a meteor sim just now. Happy days!!!

Just saw this, that's great, had been feeling slightly guilty :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

Just saw this, that's great, had been feeling slightly guilty :)

haha, there was nothing for you to feel guilty about - it was always a chance and worst case scenario it was hang on until the €127 credit went through it :-)

Thanks for all your info and assistance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

What does this mean for people with existing Samsung Galaxy phones ? Will we have to stop using them ?

Drumpot wrote: »
    What does this mean for people with existing Samsung Galaxy phones ? Will we have to stop using them ?
    Id like to see them try :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

We have to pay every time we use the gallery app, billing is automatic though so no need to worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 24 smcnena

My menu button stopped working yesterday. :mad:
    Tried everything. Have it rooted, so unrooted it. Just need to reset the custom rom counter and go back to the phone company with it and hopefully get a replacement.
    Seems like a hardware problem and an issue for others
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2/348682-galaxys-2-menu-button-not-working.html

Anybody else have this issue?

Cant help you there Im afraid. I have been banging on about not getting mobile data that works on 3 for the last while.Seems to be happening with SGS2 quit a bitBit of light on it here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1132399&page=5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Does anyone find the text input on the SGS2 incredibly poor, compared to, say, the iPhone?

I've had the SGS2 now for a few months but I am getting increasingly frustrated at it's poor input recognition and text prediction. Whether I'm typing a text, or searching something in google it's always making mistakes or not recognising the right letter I'm pressing. I never had this problem with the iPhone - it got it almost 100% correct, all the time. I've tried a few different keyboards from the market but they're all mostly the same. Currently using Swiftkey X and it's appalingly bad.

It's irritating me so much that I'm considering selling the SGS2 and getting something else, or the new iPhone when it's released. And I don't really want to, it's a superb device otherwise!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 hunter29

Is anyone having problems with (txlauncher) needing to force close. I only have my two months and every time i have to swipe the screen saver i get this message

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Looks like the patent it related to the Gallery app...which would be the stock Android gallery app so a Google product. Cowardly bastards wont take on the owners of it though :rolleyes:
    And Google just got it from Cooliris!
    http://www.cooliris.com/mobile/android/

tipperary wrote: »
    What about this for a case - http://www.expansys.ie/case-mate-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-tough-cases-black-218855/
    What screen protection do ye recommend?

It's an excellent case. Definitely no complaints with it, it makes the phone feel good and solid (although a little bigger). Also restricts your choice for a car holder if that's a consideration.

The case comes with a screen protection thingy.

I didn't get any screen protector :-(

Any recommendations on what screen protector to purchase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I used this app and it successfully unlocked the phone for me: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.helroz.galaxysunlock

IMEI, etc are all still prefectly intacked and checked with a meteor sim just now. Happy days!!!

It requires root, and I've seen info that phone should be unlocked before flashing to obtain root. Catch-22 or I'm missing something important?

I'm going to flash the phone with Heimdall, but I dont want to make a slim Samsung made brick ;)

PrzemoF wrote: »
    It requires root, and I've seen info that phone should be unlocked before flashing to obtain root. Catch-22 or I'm missing something important?

I'm going to flash the phone with Heimdall, but I dont want to make a slim Samsung made brick ;)

The process I followed without any issues was to download and flash with the KH3 firmware from XDA-Developers using Odin.

Once that was downloaded and flashed, I downloaded the CF-Root kernel from XDA-Developers for KH3 firmware and flashed with Odin.

Once all that was done, I only had to download and install the above app from the market and run it. Job done.

Some people are successfully unlocking with the Galaxy S2 Sim Unlock tool also.

The process I followed without any issues was to download and flash with the KH3 firmware from XDA-Developers using Odin.

Once that was downloaded and flashed, I downloaded the CF-Root kernel from XDA-Developers for KH3 firmware and flashed with Odin.

Once all that was done, I only had to download and install the above app from the market and run it. Job done.

Thanks! So probably there is no need to worry that the phone is not unlocked before flashing - I don't want to wait 2 month for meteor to give me the code to unlock it.

Thanks! So probably there is no need to worry that the phone is not unlocked before flashing - I don't want to wait 2 month for meteor to give me the code to unlock it.

Nope, you will need to flash into a root kernel in order to unlock the phone.

If you don't want to flash to KH3 you can download the CF-Root that matches your kernel.

I think that was more of an issue with original SGS

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

just got my S2

when i setup my hotmail i can see the inbox fine but i can not see any of the folders. Anyone know what i am doing wrong or how to fix?

Cheers,

• Advertisement

ciaran75 wrote: »
    just got my S2

when i setup my hotmail i can see the inbox fine but i can not see any of the folders. Anyone know what i am doing wrong or how to fix?

Cheers,

Youre using hotmail :pac:

Really though I dont think the stock app can sync folders with hotmail (or at all maybe). Try something like K9. That could be able

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Youre using hotmail :pac:

Really though I dont think the stock app can sync folders with hotmail (or at all maybe). Try something like K9. That could be able

Thanks for this. Just tried to install.
    not working yet. will look at it further later.

Cheers

ciaran75 wrote: »
    just got my S2

Cheers,

If you press inbox at the to of the screen, it should give you a list of folders, failing that get a gmail account :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Does anyone else have an issue with very weak wifi signal with the S2. I mean having one bar or none in one place where you'd be getting full bars with another phone (i.e. iphone 3GS) ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Any one else got the phone overheating when you turn the brightness up to Max. It drained half the battery in an hour with wifi only and no cellular connection.

When I went into settings to turn it down it had it maxed at 75 with a note saying phone turned it down to prevent overheating problems lol

Nope, you will need to flash into a root kernel in order to unlock the phone.

If you don't want to flash to KH3 you can download the CF-Root that matches your kernel.

My S2 is now rooted & unlocked :)
    I used heimdall - it was very, very easy

A next step will be Cyanogenmod

• Advertisement

Let me know what you make of Cyanogenmod?
    I think it's still got a few issues under the hood though :)

My S2 is now rooted & unlocked :)
    I used heimdall - it was very, very easy

Good stuff!

AntiRip wrote: »
    Does anyone else have an issue with very weak wifi signal with the S2. I mean having one bar or none in one place where you'd be getting full bars with another phone (i.e. iphone 3GS) ??

Seriously guys, simple question. Any issue with wifi signal? ;)

Cant say there is with me anyway. Getting pretty much equal strength all over my house with a GS2, my laptop and my tablet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

Seriously guys, simple question. Any issue with wifi signal? ;)

Yes, it has always been reported very low on my SG2. I think it underestimates because even with 1 little bar showing I get full speed from the Wifi.

• Advertisement

Zith wrote: »
    Yes, it has always been reported very low on my SG2. I think it underestimates because even with 1 little bar showing I get full speed from the Wifi.

The most I get around the house is 1 bar. I need to be beside the router to get full bars. I used to have full bars with 3GS.

I'm just underneath the router now and still only getting one bar and Wifi Analyzer is telling me the signal is -70dBm.

Only have it 4 days and wondering should I take back for replacement?

Zith wrote: »

The most I get around the house is 1 bar. I need to be beside the router to get full bars. I used to have full bars with 3GS.

I'm just underneath the router now and still only getting one bar and Wifi Analyzer is telling me the signal is -70dBm.

Only have it 4 days and wondering should I take back for replacement?

Find out what radio you're using, settings > about phone > what baseband does it say you have? Just look at the last 3 letters/numbers i.e. KF3 our whatever.

Now have a look at some forums and see if others have wifi problems with this radio. If it is a problem with the radio you have you can just download and flash a different one, 'cos if that's the problem, then changing it for a new phone (with probably the same radio) won't make a lot of difference. I'm using the latest one KH3 and find wifi pretty good. No problems surfing upstairs when my router is downstairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Apologies if this in the wrong place. Could someone recommend the best way to store birthday reminders in the s2. In my older phones I entered them all manually using the calendar. Is there a better way ?

Find out what radio you're using, settings > about phone > what baseband does it say you have? Just look at the last 3 letters/numbers i.e. KF3 our whatever.

Now have a look at some forums and see if others have wifi problems with this radio. If it is a problem with the radio you have you can just download and flash a different one, 'cos if that's the problem, then changing it for a new phone (with probably the same radio) won't make a lot of difference. I'm using the latest one KH3 and find wifi pretty good. No problems surfing upstairs when my router is downstairs

Think it was KG2. I've rooted it and put on Lite'ning Rom v6.1 XXKH3 which made no difference to signal.

Think is though, I can surf away with it and I did a speedtest with the speedtest.net app and the speed is pretty good.

Zith may be right, maybe it's underestimating the strength of the signal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Switching over from the iPhone, one thing which has annoyed me is that writing "im" translates to "Important" rather than "I'm", resulting in several confused text recipients.

Is there a way to manually select what words are autocorrected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

you could try the following see if it helps, I used it to stop words like "I'm, I'd, I've etc" spawning word suggestions after only 2 characters have been typed.

when on keypad for texting, press the "gears" symbol to go into settings,

1. under XT9 advanced settings change the word completion point to 3 or 4 letters
    2. (optional) enable auto-substitution so im becomes I'm etc

Hope it helps some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Blisterman wrote: »
    Switching over from the iPhone, one thing which has annoyed me is that writing "im" translates to "Important" rather than "I'm", resulting in several confused text recipients.

Is there a way to manually select what words are autocorrected?

Just buy a better keyboard. I've switched to smart keyboard and its miles ahead.

Using wp7 and IOS daily what Samsung included in the s2 for typing is a joke.

Think it was KG2. I've rooted it and put on Lite'ning Rom v6.1 XXKH3 which made no difference to signal.

Think is though, I can surf away with it and I did a speedtest with the speedtest.net app and the speed is pretty good.

Zith may be right, maybe it's underestimating the strength of the signal?

Maybe, I don't pay too much attention to the number of bars showing, just how long it takes to open pages, download things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭marathonic

Okay so I've:
    • Receive the phone
    • Copied over my iPhone contacts
    • Ported my Three number over
    • Flashed Lightning ROM 6.1
    • Installed Go Launcher and a Theme
    • Installed a few Widgets
    • Installed TuneIn Radio (my most used iPhone app), JeFit Pro, QuickOffice, Facebook, Viber, Skype, WhatsApp and Cabbage Ultimate (another good one :D )....

Anything else I should be doing??

marathonic wrote: »
    Okay so I've:
    • Receive the phone
    • Copied over my iPhone contacts
    • Ported my Three number over
    • Flashed Lightning ROM 6.1
    • Installed Go Launcher and a Theme
    • Installed a few Widgets
    • Installed TuneIn Radio (my most used iPhone app), JeFit Pro, QuickOffice, Facebook, Viber, Skype, WhatsApp and Cabbage Ultimate (another good one :D )....

Anything else I should be doing??

Think you're good to go :D

I might try VillianROM just to try it out and see if it's good. I also have LauncherPro instead of GO Launcher.

You should try Fancy Widgets also, has a pretty nice widget (Clock & Weather). FilmON TV is good (though better on iphone :rolleyes:), also try NoLED (will light up a pixal when you miss a text/call/email.

Enjoy! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement