Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

The FilmOn app in the market has been telling me for the past 2 weeks that it is incompatible with my S2 and won't allow me to install it!

Did you face the same difficulty Zag??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Just seeing your post there I went to the Market, and searched for it, it says that it is compatible with some of my devices

It is not compatible with my S2, but is compatible with my Vodafone phone :confused:

I can only assume that this 'Vodafone phone' is my old Hero, which I still have, but I bought it sim-free from the UK and stuck vodafone sim in it.

I am still with Vodafone too.

Strange that it would be compatible with much older Hero, and not GS2

Can't get market to tell me why it's not compatible with my GS2 either??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Zagato wrote: »
    Just seeing your post there I went to the Market, and searched for it, it says that it is compatible with some of my devices

It is not compatible with my S2, but is compatible with my Vodafone phone :confused:

I can only assume that this 'Vodafone phone' is my old Hero, which I still have, but I bought it sim-free from the UK and stuck vodafone sim in it.

That's funny because I downloaded it no problem from the market a few days ago. But when I go into "My apps" on the market it isn't there anymore but is still on my phone. It works away. But like I said above, it did work a lot better on the iphone. The resolution was a lot better so maybe that's why they pulled it, maybe

Same here, not compatible with my S2, but just checked and it is compatible with my previous X10 and X8!! :D

Maybe i could d/l it to my x8 and get the .apk from it!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Hello gents, has anyone tried to get the Gtalk with video working using this method?
    http://android.modaco.com/topic/339394-installing-google-video-chat-on-your-samsung-galaxy-s-ii/
    Is there a way to do it without removing all your Google accounts?
    I take it this can be done in stock rom (2.3.4)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

jos28 wrote: »
    Apologies if this in the wrong place. Could someone recommend the best way to store birthday reminders in the s2. In my older phones I entered them all manually using the calendar. Is there a better way ?

recommended app big time

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.evernote&hl=en

marathonic wrote: »
    Okay so I've:
    • Receive the phone
    • Copied over my iPhone contacts
    • Ported my Three number over
    • Flashed Lightning ROM 6.1
    • Installed Go Launcher and a Theme
    • Installed a few Widgets
    • Installed TuneIn Radio (my most used iPhone app), JeFit Pro, QuickOffice, Facebook, Viber, Skype, WhatsApp and Cabbage Ultimate (another good one :D )....

Anything else I should be doing??

Freeze Samsung bloatware for superior battery life,your obviously on XDA if you flashed Litening ROM (tip -Cognition is the best ROM)

In the Themes section look for the thread applications to remove,on page 13 there is a spreadsheet with a list of Samsung bloatware you can freeze with Titanium assuming you don't use it and watch your battery last much much longer.:)

AntiRip wrote: »
    Does anyone else have an issue with very weak wifi signal with the S2. I mean having one bar or none in one place where you'd be getting full bars with another phone (i.e. iphone 3GS) ??
    i wouldn't say weak signal but certainly that is about the only flaw the GS2 has the WiFi isn't as good as my old HD2 and that is something Samsung need to address for future reference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭jos28

jonnny68 wrote: »

Thanks a million Jonny, just downloaded it, will let you know how I get on. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 cantthinkof1

jammer84 wrote: »
    I didn't get any screen protector :-(

Any recommendations on what screen protector to purchase?

I bought one from ExpertShield and its 1st class. Great company to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

is it safe to say this is the best android infact smartphone on the market right now?

im putting some serious taught into buying this phone in the next few days over an iphone but iv read a few reviews in where people were complaining about over heating and battery problems is this true?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

is it safe to say this is the best android infact smartphone on the market right now?

im putting some serious taught into buying this phone in the next few days over an iphone but iv read a few reviews in where people were complaining about over heating and battery problems is this true?

I know a few people who have the s 2 and had no problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

I'll just throw in the HTC Sensation here. It's what I went with last June and I love it, no problems so far.

Two of my mates have the S2 and I have to say it's a very nice phone as well. Just depends whatever feels right for you.

I realise now this is no help to you whatsoever :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Currently it is regarded as the best Android phone but this will change soon.

The battery life is variable depending on what you do with it and how much you use it.

All round it is a great phone, it doesnt overheat anymore than a laptop does when you use up most of its resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

I tried to upload a few videos via Kies Air earlier and it came up 'Network error'. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

I tried to upload a few videos via Kies Air earlier and it came up 'Network error'. Any ideas?

Kies is the error

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Drumpot wrote: »
    What does this mean for people with existing Samsung Galaxy phones ? Will we have to stop using them ?

Yea otherwise the Apple police will come looking for you & you will be forced to use a mark 1 Iphone :P Don't worry about it.
    Elessar wrote: »
    Does anyone find the text input on the SGS2 incredibly poor, compared to, say, the iPhone?

I've had the SGS2 now for a few months but I am getting increasingly frustrated at it's poor input recognition and text prediction. Whether I'm typing a text, or searching something in google it's always making mistakes or not recognising the right letter I'm pressing. I never had this problem with the iPhone - it got it almost 100% correct, all the time. I've tried a few different keyboards from the market but they're all mostly the same. Currently using Swiftkey X and it's appalingly bad.

It's irritating me so much that I'm considering selling the SGS2 and getting something else, or the new iPhone when it's released. And I don't really want to, it's a superb device otherwise!

Go on admit,you really want a Iphone :P My partner had an Iphone & she switched to a S2 & says its much better with text.

jos28 wrote: »
    Apologies if this in the wrong place. Could someone recommend the best way to store birthday reminders in the s2. In my older phones I entered them all manually using the calendar. Is there a better way ?

Some say Evernote is great.i use the calender myself & its fine.

I have no problem with my S2 on the stock firmware but then i don't have everything running at once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I normally get a day out of the battery. Only time it gets very warm is when I'm playing GT Free+ HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

i went in to a few phone shops today to price it up, interesting the girl in the shop swears by the htc sensation and says its a better phone with longer battery life:confused:?

so its a straight toss up between the galaxy and sensation... anyone point out some useful things the samsung can do that the htc cant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

i went in to a few phone shops today to price it up, interesting the girl in the shop swears by the htc sensation and says its a better phone with longer battery life:confused:?

so its a straight toss up between the galaxy and sensation... anyone point out some useful things the samsung can do that the htc cant?

There's really not much in the difference, have a go of both and see which suits you best. Girl in the shop can't decide for you.

Galaxy SII has 16gigs (with some set aside for apps) already and you can add another 32 in the form of an SD card, HTC doesn't have quite so much and will run out of app space sooner. This is one thing that annoyed me with the Desire.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/htc-sensation-vs-samsung-galaxy-s2-961874?artc_pg=1

• Advertisement

Anyone know what this little orange icon beside one if my texts is?
    1t0Za.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

BopNiblets wrote: »
    1t0Za.jpg

A draft?

Wait, I just checked and that doesn't seem to be right. Sorry! :( Maybe it's an un-read message??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

1t0Za.jpg
    The contact is marked as away in Google talk.

Jonathan wrote: »
    Ah yes, cheers. Forgot I was signed in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

guys

the GS2 is it easy to unlock?

guys

It's a bit of a mixed bag, might be, but no guarantees. Have a look at jammer84 's posts going back about 5 pages.

It may be possible using one of the unlock apps available in the market, after you root the phone. (Rooting is easy enough). Jammer84 managed to unlock his(/hers?) but the first code he was given didn't work. It seems like carriers maybe getting wise to the methods of obtaining unlock codes and foiling these apps.

oh, ding.

thought it would be easy...

i am thinking of buying a gs2 that is locked.

it will be no used to me as I cant put in a sim card anyway ? can you root it via a pc and access the market that way.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

guys

It's a bit of a mixed bag, might be, but no guarantees. Have a look at jammer84 's posts going back about 5 pages.

It may be possible using one of the unlock apps available in the market, after you root the phone. (Rooting is easy enough). Jammer84 managed to unlock his(/hers?) but the first code he was given didn't work. It seems like carriers maybe getting wise to the methods of obtaining unlock codes and foiling these apps.

Worked perfect for me, no issue and easy to do :)
    Mine was a vodafone sgs2 and i'm using it on 3.

yes but my three sim wont work on it, since its sim locked.

i could buy a uk o2 sim (i am in the uk) and use that sim to gain access to it and root it, and get the app for unlock key.?

• Advertisement

yes but my three sim wont work on it, since its sim locked.

i could buy a uk o2 sim (i am in the uk) and use that sim to gain access to it and root it, and get the app for unlock key.?

You don't need a sim in it to root it and get the app from the market.
    You can just boot it up without a sim and then root it!

marcbrophy wrote: »
    You don't need a sim in it to root it and get the app from the market.
    You can just boot it up without a sim and then root it!

wow

thats the fone sorted so. hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i havent heard of anyone struggling to unlock one yet? i unlocked mine too

with no sim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I currently have a Desire HD myself and am due a upgrade in the next month (and switching networks - probably to eMobile as I can get the same package as I currently have with Meteor for €20 cheaper per month - plus I had serious billing/customer care issues with them too) and was looking at the S2 as it seems all-round to be a better phone than the DHD.

Is the S2 due be replaced though and if so is there any word on a successor that maybe I should hold out for?

Rooting the DHD first time was a bit of a hassle but got there in the end. Is the S2 as hard to do (I've only had HTC androids till now). Once rooted, what's the "best" ROM for it?

Is there anything I'd miss from my DHD? Looking at the specs I'm guessing not and I have a Win Phone 7 launcher on my DHD now (which actually is a lot more usable than the Sense UI I think - especially for someone with stubby fingers :p

Which brings me to my last question.. Is Android still the way to go in people's opinion, or is it time to look at the WP7 offerings?

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I currently have a Desire HD myself and am due a upgrade in the next month (and switching networks - probably to eMobile as I can get the same package as I currently have with Meteor for €20 cheaper per month - plus I had serious billing/customer care issues with them too) and was looking at the S2 as it seems all-round to be a better phone than the DHD.

Is the S2 due be replaced though and if so is there any word on a successor that maybe I should hold out for?

Rooting the DHD first time was a bit of a hassle but got there in the end. Is the S2 as hard to do (I've only had HTC androids till now). Once rooted, what's the "best" ROM for it?

Is there anything I'd miss from my DHD? Looking at the specs I'm guessing not and I have a Win Phone 7 launcher on my DHD now (which actually is a lot more usable than the Sense UI I think - especially for someone with stubby fingers :p

Which brings me to my last question.. Is Android still the way to go in people's opinion, or is it time to look at the WP7 offerings?

Cheers!

Rooting isn't that hard on S2. ROMs are under everyone's preference. I prefer MIUI

WP7 is really simple. If your looking to mess around with its system it might not be for ya.

But if ya are considering about WP7 new batch of phones will be coming in a few months so would be better of to wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

How do you filter out text messages on the call log, without having to filter specifically missed calls/dialled numbers etc? Just so it displays all incoming and outgoing calls.

Cyrus wrote: »
    i havent heard of anyone struggling to unlock one yet? i unlocked mine too

with no sim

There are a number of people over on the XDA thread for unlocking, that, have had no joy, but I agree chances are you wouldn't have any problem

getting a galaxy s2 tomorrow,

can any decent soul point me towards some bite sized chunks on what i need to get this rooted (and unlocked) without making a paper weight out of it.? !

I have no internet in my locale for the next week so need to download what i need now onto a usb stick, will just have a locked s2 and a laptop.

and a 3 sim.

many thanks.

can any decent soul pint me towards some bite sized chunks on what i need to get this rooted (and unlocked) without making a paper weight out of it.? !

I have no internet in my locale for the next week so need to download what i need now onto a usb stick, will just have a locked s2 and a laptop.

and a 3 sim.

many thanks.

Best way not to brick your phone is to do a lot of reading before you do anything. Head to forum.xda-developers.com and go to S2 forum.
    You will need to download the unlock app to your phone, so you might want to think about how you're going to do that, I guess you could hunt for the .apk somewhere

• Advertisement

can any decent soul point me towards some bite sized chunks on what i need to get this rooted (and unlocked) without making a paper weight out of it.? !

and a 3 sim.

many thanks.

Hey,

Use this thread to learn about rooting.
    Once rooted, you are going to get the Galaxy S2 SIM unlock app from the market and run it on your phone to get the unlock code.

The problem is that you need some form of net access to get the app from the market. This can be through Wi-Fi (which you probably can't, as you said you have no internet for the next week) or over the phones 3g connection (which will be an issue, as you won't be able to get a connection on your phone until after you unlock it, unless you have a sim from the operator that it is currently locked to for temporary use).

There is a third option of downloading the .apk for the SIM unlock app and manually installing it from your PC, but you may not know anything about that!!

EDIT: Just saw Zag's responce, pretty much the same thing :D

i can get wi fi, with my trusty 3g dongle..

will this be ok. :p

thanks for the help

2 questions

1/ can i flash any insecure kernel first..?

or does it depend on what already is on.?

2/ this step

'When the device has finished booting, start S2 Root then press the Root Device button. Wait for the device to reboot then you are done Rooting.'

this is done from the android or from the pc? I have downloaded a zip file called S2Root_1.3_Release but not sure what to do with it.

I might have to buy a network sim for the moment to allow me access the market.

as a matter of interest, if my fone is rooted how can i install the app to unlock the phone without using the market? the .apk thing.

do i need additional programs installed.?

sorry for the n0d questions but want to be sure is to be sure. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

Jonathan wrote: »
    1t0Za.jpg

Sign... Skype contact is 'idle' (IM contact idle)

how do i get an .apk for the root unlock app on the market?

I cant use the market as my phone is unlocked, is there a way to get the program and put onto the sc card and run that way.. or from kies?

cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

guys

Excuse my stupidity/ignorance, but what is meant by an unlocked/locked phone?

EDIT: Google is yer only man!!!!

• Advertisement

I don't know that you'll find anyone who has gotten it as a .apk here, as they will likely have just downloaded it over wifi, on the market. But if you google "Samsung Galaxy Unlock apk" it will give you links to downloads. I just can't verify any of them.

I don't know that you'll find anyone who has gotten it as a .apk here, as they will likely have just downloaded it over wifi, on the market. But if you google "Samsung Galaxy Unlock apk" it will give you links to downloads. I just can't verify any of them.

<snip>

:confused:

Sorry that was a reply to the post above yours.

A locked phone means that it will only work on the network that you bought it from.

Phones can be unlocked by inserting a code which you can usually get from your network provider, after you have spent a certain amount of credit, or for a fee.

This code is hidden within the phone, as the phone needs to know the code in order to recognise it, and so there are free applications available which attempt to locate the unlock code and tell you what it is.

These applications need root access (like administrator access) and so your phone needs to be rooted for them to work

Sorry that was a reply to the post above yours.

A locked phone means that it will only work on the network that you bought it from.

Phones can be unlocked by inserting a code which you can usually get from your network provider, after you have spent a certain amount of credit, or for a fee.

This code is hidden within the phone, as the phone needs to know the code in order to recognise it, and so there are free applications available which attempt to locate the unlock code and tell you what it is.

These applications need root access (like administrator access) and so your phone needs to be rooted for them to work

thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭HeadPig

Can anybody advise me on wallpapers?

I just want to turn a pic of mne into one, I believe the correct resolution I need is 960x800?

Is there an app that will do this for me?

• Advertisement
Advertisement