Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

HeadPig wrote: »
    Can anybody advise me on wallpapers?

I just want to turn a pic of mne into one, I believe the correct resolution I need is 960x800?

Is there an app that will do this for me?

Get wallpaper set and save from the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I just want to turn a pic of mne into one, I believe the correct resolution I need is 960x800?

When you choose 'set as wallpaper' does it not give you a crop box?

When you choose 'set as wallpaper' does it not give you a crop box?

Nope, that's what's so good about it.

lewis wrote: »

Hmmm, mine does.

lewis wrote: »

Hmmm, mine does.

Well I'm still on the SGS 1, so I wouldn't have thought it would be any different.

This is what I get from the standard gallery app -

5BZfm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

guys, I took a video yesterday in full hd. Transferred it to the laptop today and it plays upside down.

Any way I can fix this?

jammer84 wrote: »
    guys, I took a video yesterday in full hd. Transferred it to the laptop today and it plays upside down.

Any way I can fix this?

Turn your phone up the right way (when taking the video).

or - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14751/rotate-a-video-90-degrees-with-vlc-or-windows-live-movie-maker/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Does anyone else find that the GPS barely ever seems to work? It seems unless I'm outside in a wide open space, I get nothing.

My apartment is on the 10th floor with floor to ceiling windows along two sides, and even in here I get no GPS signal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Blisterman wrote: »
    Does anyone else find that the GPS barely ever seems to work? It seems unless I'm outside in a wide open space, I get nothing.

My apartment is on the 10th floor with floor to ceiling windows along two sides, and even in here I get no GPS signal.

Since I installed the latest official firmware my gps is wonderful. Much better than before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭vicM

I may be wrong but I think for the GPS to lock to a satelite, the phone has to have a clear sight of the satelite, doubt that would be possible indoors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I dunno. I never had any trouble with my iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

I dunno. I never had any trouble with my iPhone.

I get a GPS signal indoors but it's not accurate as outdoors - inside tends to bounce my location around within maybe a 200m radius of my actual position whereas outdoors its accurate to a few feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Cossax wrote: »
    I get a GPS signal indoors but it's not accurate as outdoors - inside tends to bounce my location around within maybe a 200m radius of my actual position whereas outdoors its accurate to a few feet.

Is that your phone getting your position from your GPS or from your network signal though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

If it has big blue circle in maps then it's using the mobile network to get the location while the GPS tries to lock on.

GPS isn't supposed to work indoors but the odd time it does somehow even though it needs to lock onto a satellite. Mine works near the window in my place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

I haven't noticed much problems using my GPS indoors. It may get confused with which house I'm in but it generally points to ours or the house next door which is no big deal...

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Is that your phone getting your position from your GPS or from your network signal though?

I tend to turn off the wifi based location, pointless drain of battery most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

My SGS 2 has suddenly developed a charging problem. When I try to charge it (I've tried two different chargers in two separate sockets) it starts to charge then within a minute it flashes up a warning stating

"Charging paused. Battery temperature too high or too low"

WTF????

The battery is definitely not hot to the touch and the phone is inside the house which is currently 18C.

The battery is down to 1% so I'm pulling my hair out here.

Please help!!!

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

BenEadir wrote: »
    Hi all,

My SGS 2 has suddenly developed a charging problem. When I try to charge it (I've tried two different chargers in two separate sockets) it starts to charge then within a minute it flashes up a warning stating

"Charging paused. Battery temperature too high or too low"

WTF????

The battery is definitely not hot to the touch and the phone is inside the house which is currently 18C.

The battery is down to 1% so I'm pulling my hair out here.

Please help!!!

Ben

As a temporary workaround, have you tried to turn it off, and charge it powered off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

marcbrophy wrote: »
    As a temporary workaround, have you tried to turn it off, and charge it powered off?

Marc,

Thanks for the workaround. It seems to be working.

Weird behaviour or what?

If anyone knows how to fix the problem please let me know. I can't be turning my phone off for a couple of hours to charge during the day.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

just to let ye know my sgs2 is rooted and unlocked.

quite easy, i put the .apk file into the root folder and installed it that way.

worked first time.

now if only i knew where videos and photos were stored....:eek:

BenEadir wrote: »
    Marc,

Thanks for the workaround. It seems to be working.

Weird behaviour or what?

If anyone knows how to fix the problem please let me know. I can't be turning my phone off for a couple of hours to charge during the day.

Ben

No problem.

To be honest, it might have been a temporary glitch that rebooting might have fixed. Try wait for a bit more power in the phone then turn it on whilst still charging, and see if it keeps charging after it comes on!

A few weeks ago i was getting a messagge on mine when i tried to charge it saying "Battery disconnected", which wouldn't even be possible! That went away after a reboot, so maybe the same will happen for you!! :D

just to let ye know my sgs2 is rooted and unlocked.

quite easy, i put the .apk file into the root folder and installed it that way.

worked first time.

now if only i knew where videos and photos were stored....:eek:

Good stuff, so you found the .apk somewhere on the net in the end?

The vids and pics from the onboard camera are stores in sdcard/DCIM/Camera

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

the volume on the S2 is not very loud even at max 15

is there any music app that will raise the volume
    or would rooting make any difference?

cheers,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

ciaran75 wrote: »

cheers,

This is a pretty common complaint (often when coming from an iphone), think it's a hardware issue, tbh I think it's plenty loud enough

• Advertisement

found this online to increase volume on S2 if anyone is interested

http://droidtricks.blogspot.com/2011/07/how-to-boost-or-increase-earphone.html

Turning on Wireless network based location absolutely eats my battery alive. Reduces the battery from 30-35 hours to less than 20 hours if left on.

Is there anyway to have this on but reduce the frequency with which it calculates location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Is it possible to display the phone on a tv through a hdmi micro usb cable or is the expensive MHL hdmi cable the only option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

cheers,

Try Volume+ in the market. The free version will increase the volume a little, the paid version will increase it a little more.

Nephew wrote: »
    Is it possible to display the phone on a tv through a hdmi micro usb cable or is the expensive MHL hdmi cable the only option?

This is the cheapest I've seen....

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/bizlink-mhl-to-hdmi-tv-out-adapter-black-p29839.htm

• Advertisement

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Good stuff, so you found the .apk somewhere on the net in the end?

The vids and pics from the onboard camera are stores in sdcard/DCIM/Camera

yea i eventually found an .apk for the unlock program.

phone is good, was at a wedding and everyone was looking at it, videos in 1080p are not to be sniffed at, and with 16gig and 32gig on memory its as good as a laptop thesedays. :)

will, look for them folders!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

What Launcher are people using?

I am using launcher pro free version. The only issue I am trying to figure out is with the Go SMS and the regular Messaging app. My contacts are duplicated each time I go to send a text and select a contact ?

Tried everything but cannot remove it? Anyone got any tips on how to remove duplicates?

Tried Go launcher ex but did not like this. If I could solve the duplicate contacts would be happy with Launcher pro:)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Is there any way to move text messages from my htc hd2 winmo phone to the sgsII?

pabloh999 wrote: »
    Is there any way to move text messages from my htc hd2 winmo phone to the sgsII?

This comes up quite often and I'm astounded by how many people want to keep old SMS messages.

Sorry, can't help..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

just wanted to post this up as i am pretty impressed by the battery stats i have been getting recently
    running batista rom, 2.1.3 ninphetamine and juice defender.
    i do a fair bit of browsing, videos online etc and the phone has been great the last while

174516.png

from a quick search online, there is no way to back up from winph7.
    if there is, then it will prbably be xml format and you may find a way to import them (eg sms backup and restore)

other than that, there might be a bacth forward feature that you could use to formward them to gmail or another phone number using free same network texts

subway wrote: »
    just wanted to post this up as i am pretty impressed by the battery stats i have been getting recently
    running batista rom, 2.1.3 ninphetamine and juice defender.
    i do a fair bit of browsing, videos online etc and the phone has been great the last while

174516.png

How long was the display on?
    You also did a little charging (probably connected to a PC) as the little spike implies..
    All in all looks impressive

looking at it now, it was only on 3 hours so i mustnt have used it as much as usual.
    i dont remember plugging it but, sure enough it did charge for a few minutes at some point.

guess its not as impressive as i thought.

174528.png

looking at it now, it was only on 3 hours so i mustnt have used it as much as usual.
    i dont remember plugging it but, sure enough it did charge for a few minutes at some point.

guess its not as impressive as i thought.

174528.png

Yea, pretty hard to achieve 6 hours of browsing due to the white backgrounds of most sites..wish there was a browser that inverted bright colours to darker ones for the benefit of phones with amoled screens
    Anything special with batista? Was using litening but disliked the icons and reverted to stock with root

he does claim to have some battery saving stuff going on and i've noticed the improved life in the past few weeks, but basically, i flashed it and have stuck with it for a while.

until an AOSP rom is available i'll probably stick with this although the dev has put "final" in the thread on xda so if he stops supporting it ill move on to something thats active

• Advertisement

he does claim to have some battery saving stuff going on and i've noticed the improved life in the past few weeks, but basically, i flashed it and have stuck with it for a while.

until an AOSP rom is available i'll probably stick with this although the dev has put "final" in the thread on xda so if he stops supporting it ill move on to something thats active
    I really dont mind TouchWhiz, i actually like it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Is it not kind of cheating when the phone is clearly in airplane mode for periods of time -when the phone signal is switched off

i dont consider it cheating when i said it in the post... ive had 3 android phones in the past 2 years and all go into airplane mode and night screen for the night. thats what juice defender is for.

in the past, at most i would get ~16 hours (incl airplane mode) so i think this is pretty good.

vicM wrote: »
    I really dont mind TouchWhiz, i actually like it!
    its not touchwiz that i dont like (although the random app drawer sorting is something i never liked) but all the multitide of samsung apps and services that run

its not touchwiz that i dont like (although the random app drawer sorting is something i never liked) but all the multitide of samsung apps and services that run

Do you know of any way to get apps to show up A-Z in grid view, without having to change launchers?

unfortunately not, i never spent much time with

Thanks anyway!

That's my biggegst gripe with touchwiz! Looks like I'll just have to get a different launcher now :D

if you don't mind paying €15 for it, carphone warehouse in dundrum have a device that can copy texts, contacts, pictures etc. over i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

if you don't mind paying €15 for it, carphone warehouse in dundrum have a device that can copy texts, contacts, pictures etc. over i believe.
    Ah im not that bothered! thanks anyway
    Its a really slick phone, but the battery life gets eaten up with all this playing around, what app is best for saving the battery?

• Advertisement

one thing lads

the screen constantly goes black while you are on the phone.

seriously, wtf.

the gs1 was the same.

how do you fix this without having to hit the home button all the time.?

Advertisement