Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

one thing lads

the screen constantly goes black while you are on the phone.

seriously, wtf.

the gs1 was the same.

how do you fix this without having to hit the home button all the time.?

It turns off cause of the proximity sensor so youre not pressing buttons with your face while talking on the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

would this be very messy to fit ?

http://cnn.cn/shop/samsung-i9100-galaxy-white-housing-p-13328.html

looks nice but not going to risk botching up what i have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

would this be very messy to fit ?

http://cnn.cn/shop/samsung-i9100-galaxy-white-housing-p-13328.html

looks nice but not going to risk botching up what i have.
    What's considered the best rom at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Has anyone used Heimdall? How quick is it to setup and root? (on a mac and virtualbox wont see the gs2 as connected)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Thanks, Kenny. Is there any difference between the generic bizlink and official samsung mhl cables to justify the extra £10?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Can someone point me in the direction to the newest firmware? I have at the moment 2.3.3 and xwke7

I noticed Kidigi are releasing a dock with hdmi output for the same price as the official Samsung mhl adapter. This is a link to the cradle but nicecans.co.uk has absolutely terrible reviews and seems to be a dodgy site so don't buy from them. http://www.nicecans.co.uk/samsung-galaxy-s2-desktop-cradle-charger-with-mhl-hdmi-tv-output-p-2694.html

Mclove, google 2.3.4 gingerbread galaxy s2 update and there are a few sites with instructions on how to install the version from Singapore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

one thing lads

seriously, wtf.

the gs1 was the same.

how do y
    ou fix this without having to hit the home button all the time.?
    get screebl from the market. it'll fix that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

On Lite'ning ROM 6.1 and twice in the last 10 days my phone has become unresponsive - power button now working so have had to take the battery out. Seen some reference to it elsewhere online but anyone had any experience with this?

On the stock ROM I'd had 2 restarts (but with only 2 attempts allowed at the pin instead of 3) but haven't had these since I flashed it, only the black screen and battery removal solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Has anyone used Heimdall? How quick is it to setup and root? (on a mac and virtualbox wont see the gs2 as connected)
    I used it - from linux command line. I took seconds to flash kernel and no setup required, but I wasn't using GUI so you mileage may vary..

get proper CF-kernel
    unzip it
    boot the phone into download mode
    connect
    make sure heimdall can connect to it (heimdall --detect)
    and flash:
    heimdall flash --kernel zImage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Anyone have a definitive method for recalibrating their battery stats/wiping them etc? Have looked at a few thoughts online, some look standard and straightforward but some are claimed to be more specific to the SGS 2. Anyone any thoughts or experiences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

vicM wrote: »
    I may be wrong but I think for the GPS to lock to a satelite, the phone has to have a clear sight of the satelite, doubt that would be possible indoors

My GPS works indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mazzy maz

My GS2 keeps switching itself off (6 times this morning alone and I've only had it a week). Sometimes if I'm lucky it switches itself back on, otherwise I've to switch it back on myself.

Anyone having this problem? Gonna bring it into the local Meteor shop to see if they'll swap it for me. Won't be holding my breath!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭vicM

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    My GPS works indoors.

With wifi assistance I suppose, does it lock onto a satellite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

Anyone have a definitive method for recalibrating their battery stats/wiping them etc? Have looked at a few thoughts online, some look standard and straightforward but some are claimed to be more specific to the SGS 2. Anyone any thoughts or experiences?

IIRC if you boot into recovery mode, I think there's an option there....

I've not looked at the ones that are online though, so other than that I can't be of much help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

My phone won't update to 2.3.4. Its downloads it as normal through the software update section in settings. Asks to reset then restarts as normal. When its fully booted of tells me that the firmware update was not successful and that maybe I should try kies software to update.
    Anyone else having this problem? Have tried it a few times and lies doesn't work with my phone for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I used it - from linux command line. I took seconds to flash kernel and no setup required, but I wasn't using GUI so you mileage may vary..

get proper CF-kernel
    unzip it
    boot the phone into download mode
    connect
    make sure heimdall can connect to it (heimdall --detect)
    and flash:
    heimdall flash --kernel zImage

sound, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

one thing lads

seriously, wtf.

the gs1 was the same.

how do you fix this without having to hit the home button all the time.?
    Its part of your phone settings.

Go to Settings
    Then select Call
    Then untick the box where it says Turn On Proximity Sensor

I accidentally came across this. I hadn't removed the battery stats myself since I'd flashed the firmware again the other day.

Worked grand.SC20110925-135544.png

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

Is everyone here still on Market version 2.3.6 ?

I have seen updated versions on xda, but I was wondering if the update is officially out over here yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Since getting my SGS2 on VF then sim unlocking & rooting it so I can use it on 3 I've had the phone on
    Android Ver. 2.3.3
    Baseband I9100XXKE4
    Kernel Version 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKE7-CL215725
    Build Number GINGERBREAD.XWKE7

Can someone tell me the latest stock firmware I can/should update too?
    Not interested in going to development roms yet....did all that with my Desire.

Oh and if I update with odin will I lose everything thats not on the SD?
    I use the full ver of titanium backup and sms backup so I presume that will help me restore most of it after I update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

lafors wrote: »
    Since getting my SGS2 on VF then sim unlocking & rooting it so I can use it on 3 I've had the phone on
    Android Ver. 2.3.3
    Baseband I9100XXKE4

Can someone tell me the latest stock firmware I can/should update too?
    Not interested in going to development roms yet....did all that with my Desire.

Oh and if I update with odin will I lose everything thats not on the SD?
    I use the full ver of titanium backup and sms backup so I presume that will help me restore most of it after I update?

Latest samsung firmwares can be found over at www.samfirmware.com

I would say probably KG6, or KH3 are the best ROMs, both are 2.3.4

The best radio(baseband) will vary a bit, so it's probably worth trying a few of them and testing your signal/wifi/GPS and seeing which one is best for you.

The firmware upgrades are sometimes wipe, sometimes no wipe. I usually do a wipe, which only wipes the internal memory, i.e. not the internal SD our external SD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

roarlad wrote: »

I have seen updated versions on xda, but I was wondering if the update is officially out over here yet?

3.1.5 for me, official

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

draffodx wrote: »
    roarlad wrote: »

3.1.5 for me, official

I couldn't get my market to update automatically either, and just ignored it for a while. I factory reset the phone a few days ago for an unrelated reason and after accessing the market for the first time it auto updated for the next time I used it. Maybe if you reset the phone it will update for you too. May not be worth the effort though.

I couldn't get my market to update automatically either, and just ignored it for a while. I factory reset the phone a few days ago for an unrelated reason and after accessing the market for the first time it auto updated for the next time I used it. Maybe if you reset the phone it will update for you too. May not be worth the effort though.

Instead of doing a reset try clearing the cache and data first and then restart the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

draffodx wrote: »

Instead of doing a reset try clearing the cache and data first and then restart the app.

Or just download the new apk for marketplace

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Hi,
    Just got the S2. Kies says I have the latest firmware - PDA:KF4/PHONE:KF2/CSC:KF1
    The phone Kernel Version says 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKF4, which tells me it is latest version too.

How do I get KE7??

Also how do I back up apps, etc before rooting? And is it simple to restore? Do all my apps get deleted when I root?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

K09 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just got the S2. Kies says I have the latest firmware - PDA:KF4/PHONE:KF2/CSC:KF1
    The phone Kernel Version says 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKF4, which tells me it is latest version too.

How do I get KE7??

Also how do I back up apps, etc before rooting? And is it simple to restore? Do all my apps get deleted when I root?

Thanks.

You don't need to back up anything. If your using cf root it wont delete anything.

K09 wrote: »
    Hi,

How do I get KE7??

Thanks.

Why do you want KE7? Firmwares are named alphabetically, so your version is newer than KE7.

They are up to KI now (KH I think are more stable though

Rooting if you use Clockworkmod's method certainly won't wipe anything.

You can back up your apps using titanium backup our app list backup

• Advertisement

Zagato wrote: »
    Latest samsung firmwares can be found over at www.samfirmware.com

I would say probably KG6, or KH3 are the best ROMs, both are 2.3.4

The best radio(baseband) will vary a bit, so it's probably worth trying a few of them and testing your signal/wifi/GPS and seeing which one is best for you.

The firmware upgrades are sometimes wipe, sometimes no wipe. I usually do a wipe, which only wipes the internal memory, i.e. not the internal SD our external SD.

OK since I used CF-root last time I just tried the same for KH3
    Now the values are like this....
    Android Ver. 2.3.3
    Baseband I9100XXKE4 I9100XXKH3
    2.6.35.7-I9100XXKH3-CL479037

So the Kernel changed but not the others?
    Right I know this may be a stupid question but can someone explain the difference between the 3 headings above? :o

Right I've found that the baseband is pretty much the radio comms and the I know what the kernel is now too. :)

BTW when I enter *#1234# I get these values up
    PDA: I9100XWKE7
    PHONE: I9100XXKE4 I9100XXKH3
    CSC: I9100XEUKD1

Again if someone could explain those too it'd be greatly appreciated :o
    I'm assuming the PHONE is the baseband as when I flashed that they both changed?
    I've read the the PDA contains the firmware for the camera and such, is that right?
    And the CSC is supposed to be a package of bloatware put on by the original operator??

Right so how to I actually get my Android version to 2.3.4/2.3.5 from here?
    Sorry for all the questions ;)

I upgraded my S2 to the leaked European version of 2.3.5 last night and my phone feels a bit slower than it was on Meteors 2.3.3. Since I upgraded it gets an average quadrant benchmark score of 3400 but I read that most people are getting 4000 on the same firmware. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

OK since I used CF-root last time I just tried the same for KH3
    Now the values are like this....

So the Kernel changed but not the others?
    Right I know this may be a stupid question but can someone explain the difference between the 3 headings above? :o

Right I've found that the baseband is pretty much the radio comms and the I know what the kernel is now too. :)

BTW when I enter *#1234# I get these values up
    PDA: I9100XWKE7
    PHONE: I9100XXKE4 I9100XXKH3
    CSC: I9100XEUKD1

Again if someone could explain those too it'd be greatly appreciated :o
    I'm assuming the PHONE is the baseband as when I flashed that they both changed?
    I've read the the PDA contains the firmware for the camera and such, is that right?
    And the CSC is supposed to be a package of bloatware put on by the original operator??

Right so how to I actually get my Android version to 2.3.4/2.3.5 from here?
    Sorry for all the questions ;)

Check out this thread, should answer everything

Check out this thread, should answer everything

Thanks Zagato got it all sorted in the end, now on KH3 and rooted.
    Believe it or not I'd read that thread a while back but when I was looking for it earlier I couldn't find it...there does be so many posts on XDA things go off the first few pages in a short space of time :)

Thanks Zagato got it all sorted in the end, now on KH3 and rooted.
    Believe it or not I'd read that thread a while back but when I was looking for it earlier I couldn't find it...there does be so many posts on XDA things go off the first few pages in a short space of time :)

Yeah, it's frustrating when you remember seeing just the thing you need before, but you can't find it when you want it.

So planning to move to VillainRom 3.0 and 2.3.5 later on, hope it will be stable:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

What's wrong with the battery on my phone? I am lucky to get about 8 hours of standby on it in the last week or so. It's less than a month old too. I'll try to post up a screenshot of the battery usage later. FWIW, the screen is on auto and bluetooth and gps are off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

What's wrong with the battery on my phone? I am lucky to get about 8 hours of standby on it in the last week or so. It's less than a month old too. I'll try to post up a screenshot of the battery usage later. FWIW, the screen is on auto and bluetooth and gps are off.
    I get 24 hours from mine. turn your screen on dark. get juice defender and switch from 3g to 2g if you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

im guessing its screen usage if there is no one app that stands out.
    i can get 36+ hours with minimal usage and juice defender.
    but, if i stream football on it i can get through about 2 to 3 matches at most before its going to give.

smilerf wrote: »
    I get 24 hours from mine. turn your screen on dark. get juice defender and switch from 3g to 2g if you can

This is supposed to be a top notch phone. I shouldn't have to restrict everything on it to be able to use it for any length of time.

subway wrote: »
    im guessing its screen usage if there is no one app that stands out.
    i can get 36+ hours with minimal usage and juice defender.
    but, if i stream football on it i can get through about 2 to 3 matches at most before its going to give.

This morning for example, I unplugged it at 7.30 fully charged, now 3 hours later it is at 65%. All i've done is browse for perhaps 15 mins tops. Other than that the thing has been sitting on my desk with the screen off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

This morning for example, I unplugged it at 7.30 fully charged, now 3 hours later it is at 65%. All i've done is browse for perhaps 15 mins tops. Other than that the thing has been sitting on my desk with the screen off.

It might just be sitting there, but that doesn't mean its doing nothing.

Sounds to me like theres a lot of push and pull on in the background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

So planning to move to VillainRom 3.0 and 2.3.5 later on, hope it will be stable:)

Zagato, did you install VR 3.0 2.3.5 and if so how is it in terms of performance (speed), wi-fi/3G/GSM signal and of course battery performance?

Did you install the version with KI3 base?

Getting ready to upgrade from VR 1.4 myself so appreciate any comments or suggestions you might have.

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

If anyone wants spare batteries for their phone I highly recommend these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0058SJ5Q4/ref=oss_product

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

check your battery stats, some programs are a bit **** at doing things properly.
    i had an exchange mail app that was using 60%+ of my battery whenever i had it installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Yeah, it's frustrating when you remember seeing just the thing you need before, but you can't find it when you want it.

keep us posted sir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

The Samsung Extended Battery (2000mAh) is back in stock at Mobile Fun.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/genuine-samsung-extended-battery-kit-for-galaxy-s2-2000mah-eb-k1a2ebegstd-p31732.htm

Expect 20-25% extra battery life on the standard battery and it comes with a replacement back cover.

subway wrote: »
    check your battery stats, some programs are a bit **** at doing things properly.
    i had an exchange mail app that was using 60%+ of my battery whenever i had it installed.

How do I do this?

How do I do this?

Settings>About Phone>Battery usage

Jilm wrote: »
    The Samsung Extended Battery (2000mAh) is back in stock at Mobile Fun.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/genuine-samsung-extended-battery-kit-for-galaxy-s2-2000mah-eb-k1a2ebegstd-p31732.htm

Expect 20-25% extra battery life on the standard battery and it comes with a replacement back cover.

Massive improvement on my battery since flashing 2.3.5 :)

Just saying..might like to try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Wolflikeme wrote: »
    Massive improvement on my battery since flashing 2.3.5 :)

Just saying..might like to try it.
    I have already. This way I'll have the best of both worlds :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

Just flashed Villain Rom 3.0 which is 2.3.5. It's a long time since I installed VR 1.4 so it was a bit of a messy process but I think I've got it properly installed and my apps and setting back etc now.

I also took the opportunity to install the latest modem KI3 (link here http://crazypig.me/2011/09/01/samsung-galaxy-s-2-i9100-shipped-modem-collection/) which I thought would improve GSM/3G/Edge and (in particular) Wi-Fi signal whilst optimising battery performance but based on the last couple of hours I'm not sure KI3 is very good as I'm getting a piss poor Wi-Fi signal (where I usually get a decent one), I'm not getting a 3G signal where I usually do (I'm only getting Edge) and the last few calls I got were shocking poor quality despite the phone showing 5 bars and the other person calling from a landline.

Can anyone here point me in the direction of what is the best medem to use on Vodafone here in Ireland? I've tried looking over on XDA but it's a mass of conflicting info.

Ben

• Advertisement
Advertisement