Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

:confused:

You have an android phone, but no data pack? Are you planning on just using wifi? Or Pay as you use data? Or none?

I'm not on bill pay and pay €20 a month for unlimited free texts to any network. I was going to have €10 taken from this credit to pay for 700mb data usage a month but I decided to leave it for now and see how much I need the Internet when I'm away from wifi. (I'm stingy when it comes to phone credit- haha)

I mainly will use wifi with it. My gaff and everyone I know has broadband that I'm synched to and hopefully I won't need the Internet more than that.

I don't want to be checking my email, Facebook and everything constantly so I'll restrict myself if I can.

If you had a decent data plan you can get a free app to webtext (Cabbage or Textroid) and could use Skype or Viber to reduce minutes used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Anyone know how to get notifications from email addresses other than gmail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I have mine coming in through the SocialHub at the moment. Hotmail and Gmail through it.

Pretty easy set up, walks you through it.

Not super keen on it, but it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

ShaneU wrote: »
    Anyone know how to get notifications from email addresses other than gmail?

You can set up hotmail to be pushed to your phone, if you are looking for that?

It's just using the regular email app!

Thanks, couldn't find the option to do it before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I used this link to set it up! :)

Got the phone just a few days ago and have noticed a problem with it. It's too light! :D seriously if it fell out of my pocket I wouldn't notice, I have to keep checking my jeans all the time. Maybe I should get a case for it

Way, I helped someone. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Can anyone suggest any method for boosting the volume through the headphone jack? Used the hands-free headphones for the first time tonight, and after 2 minutes of struggling to hear the other person I had to give up, pull in, and just use the phone as normal. Have also noticed that even at max volume the music isn't particularly loud, though I'm guessing winamp or similar might sort that side of it, but it still leaves me with the problem of making calls. Tried it again later when cruising on a smooth dual-carraigeway and it was a bit better, but still very poor in comparison to any other phone I've used in a similar way :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Top Dog wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest any method for boosting the volume through the headphone jack? Used the hands-free headphones for the first time tonight, and after 2 minutes of struggling to hear the other person I had to give up, pull in, and just use the phone as normal. Have also noticed that even at max volume the music isn't particularly loud, though I'm guessing winamp or similar might sort that side of it, but it still leaves me with the problem of making calls. Tried it again later when cruising on a smooth dual-carraigeway and it was a bit better, but still very poor in comparison to any other phone I've used in a similar way :(

Go into settings, volume, and then try increasing the media volume

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Hey I got this phone about a week ago - love it except for the battery life which is about 3/4 of a day/ To be fair I do listen to a lot of radio and check internet fairly regularly etc. I have searched back a bit but found only people with the same problem. Any solutions or apps I should know about, apart from the obvious? (e.g. screen brightness, not having gps or wireless or bluetooth on unless necessary)

Cheers

Nolimits wrote: »
    Go into settings, volume, and then try increasing the media volume
    Makes no difference to voice calls. :(

I deleted some applications and now there's blank spaces on the app screens, how do I rearrange them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭wilmer mclean

Does anybody know when gingerbread 2.3.4 is officially released for the sg2?

Does anybody know when gingerbread 2.3.4 is officially released for the sg2?
    Already is, I got it through kies

• Advertisement

How'd you do that?

My Kies tells me my phone isn't supported :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

this worked for me from the xda website

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1146825

Give these a try and be sure to give a feedback whether it works for you or not:

A) Enter service mode by typing below code on your dialer :
    *#*#197328640#*#*
    click the following:
    [5] AUDIO
    [1] NB (VOICE CALL)
    Choose Handset, headset, Speaker (which ever you want higher volume)
    [1] VOLUME
    [1] SRC Speech RX Volume
    Change default values and higher the values any number of your choosing, here is an example:
    [0]0_lvl : 68
    [1]1_lvl : 72
    [2]2_lvl : 76
    [3]3_lvl : 80
    [4]4_lvl : 84
    [5]5_lvl : 88 Higher these values to until hear volume improvement.

Can also edit the values from:
    [2]DST I2S1 TX Volume
    [3]SRC I2S1 RX Volume: 100
    [4]DST Speech TX Volume: 94

This is Samsung volume setting, worked for several people but sadly only worked 2 times for me and values keep resetting for me (doesn't mean for you, so give it a try) Also this is based on STOCK firmware.

B) the second thing you might to try is app called Volume+:
    http://androidaudiohacks.com/home/vo...bread/download
    This app guarantees it higher the volume without the need of touching its default settings, BUT huge drawback it highers everything: Headset, speaker and Bluetooth EXCEPT HANDSET which is the most important :-(
    (I also downloaded many volume increase apps, but Volume+ was the only one got the job done for everything but handset)

C) Lastly get GOOGLE VOICE app (create a GV account if you don't have one)
    https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
    just by installing Google and logging on, every time you make a call, your calls get forwarded through Google voice and volume levels become acceptable in ALL HANDSET, HEADSET, SPEAKER, BLUETOOTH (just like phone should of have been) (this what i personally use fix my volume issues)

Hope one of these work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

Reading here that 2.3.4 is available through Kies. Do you need to wipe to get it? If you don't need to is it advisable? Anyone have good / bad experiences not wiping?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

Got nearly 6days on battery (on travel)... minimal usage.

just off sync, manual wifi, off gps or location serv, off data mode, use only 1 home screen with simi clock wigdet only (black wallpaper).

like using regular phone but have option to use it as smartphone whenever I really need it....
    Picked an SGS2 up just over 2 weeks ago now, having upgraded from a Hero.

So far:
    • Liking the screen. Bug bear with the Hero was couldn't see it in day light.
    • Battery life is acceptable. With the Hero, I was charging at least twice a day. SGS2, day & 1/2 with medium/heavy use. When I was away last week, knocked off Synch, Data, GPS, and used wifi sporadically, and a charge would do at least 3 days.
    • Getting used to TouchWizz. Have to say I prefer Sense. Makes more sense for me to have the Home screen in the middle, and swipe to either side, rather than swipe att the way across 7 screens. Also liked that I could zoom out and fit 7 screens on 1 on Sense, allowed for fast travel, don't think is possible on TouchWizz
    • Was apprehensive about the build quality at first, I like my phones to feel solid. But getting used to the lightness, and the quality feels ok.
    • Don't like the keyboard. On the Hero, it would autocorrect, and be accurate to the right word approx 90%. Now I'm forever having to correct my spelling when I'm in the middle of the next word.
    • One thumb typing isn't easy.
    Haven't decided if I'm going to root yet. I was using VilliamRom/CyagenMod on the Hero, before the screen borked and I had to send it back for repair. Didn't bother installing custom rom after that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭wilmer mclean

Thanks for the reply. The odd thing is my kies says my firmware is up to date, but when I go into sttings>about phone on my s2 it says im running 2.3.3.

ciaran75 wrote: »
    Really useful stuff
    Thanks heaps for that! Appreciate you going to the trouble of posting it all. Will give it a go on Sunday when I have the time & energy and will report back when I've had a chance to try it out :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is it possible to sync to yahoo email with this phone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Was trying to remove the icon for Layar by dragging it to the bin, but instead managed to replace my 'Messaging' shortcut in the bottom bar with a Layar shortcut.

picture.php?albumid=309&pictureid=10875

Any suggestions as to how to get 'Messaging' back to the bottom bar?
    I've tried dragging, but can't get it to work.

Bloody Layar - why can't I get rid of it anyway (and other stuff)?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lordfranto

spurious wrote: »
    Was trying to remove the icon for Layar by dragging it to the bin, but instead managed to replace my 'Messaging' shortcut in the bottom bar with a Layar shortcut.

picture.php?albumid=309&pictureid=10875

Any suggestions as to how to get 'Messaging' back to the bottom bar?
    I've tried dragging, but can't get it to work.

Bloody Layar - why can't I get rid of it anyway (and other stuff)?
    Hit the menu button and select edit.then move em around, and id say u can't get rid of laylar cos it came preloaded on the phone? if so u can only.remove by rooting. if u downloaded it u can delete it by using the edit option also

ciaran75 wrote: »

this worked for me from the xda website

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1146825

Give these a try and be sure to give a feedback whether it works for you or not:

A) Enter service mode by typing below code on your dialer :
    *#*#197328640#*#*
    click the following:
    [5] AUDIO
    [1] NB (VOICE CALL)
    Choose Handset, headset, Speaker (which ever you want higher volume)
    [1] VOLUME
    [1] SRC Speech RX Volume
    Change default values and higher the values any number of your choosing, here is an example:
    [0]0_lvl : 68
    [1]1_lvl : 72
    [2]2_lvl : 76
    [3]3_lvl : 80
    [4]4_lvl : 84
    [5]5_lvl : 88 Higher these values to until hear volume improvement.

Can also edit the values from:
    [2]DST I2S1 TX Volume
    [3]SRC I2S1 RX Volume: 100
    [4]DST Speech TX Volume: 94

This is Samsung volume setting, worked for several people but sadly only worked 2 times for me and values keep resetting for me (doesn't mean for you, so give it a try) Also this is based on STOCK firmware.

B) the second thing you might to try is app called Volume+:
    http://androidaudiohacks.com/home/vo...bread/download
    This app guarantees it higher the volume without the need of touching its default settings, BUT huge drawback it highers everything: Headset, speaker and Bluetooth EXCEPT HANDSET which is the most important :-(
    (I also downloaded many volume increase apps, but Volume+ was the only one got the job done for everything but handset)

C) Lastly get GOOGLE VOICE app (create a GV account if you don't have one)
    https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
    just by installing Google and logging on, every time you make a call, your calls get forwarded through Google voice and volume levels become acceptable in ALL HANDSET, HEADSET, SPEAKER, BLUETOOTH (just like phone should of have been) (this what i personally use fix my volume issues)

Hope one of these work for you.
    Cool volume+ worked well for me!

Is it possible to sync to yahoo email with this phone?
    Yes i.have my yahoo mail running on it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Lordfranto wrote: »
    Yes i.have my yahoo mail running on it

thanks for that :)

If I buy the phone unlocked will I have to fill in all the setting for the internet etc myself?I'm with vodafone.

Anyone tried the new hotmail app? any better than the standard email app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

So I'm on holiday in the south of Spain, only my GPS isn't connecting to any of the satellites, and there's a few up there allright (GPS Test app says so)
    But it just times out trying to connect, any ideas guys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Is it in the market? and official from MS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Yep. Official from MS. Developed by SEVEN.

Haven't tried it yet. Downloading it now.
    god's toy wrote: »
    Is it in the market? and official from MS?

BopNiblets wrote: »
    So I'm on holiday in the south of Spain, only my GPS isn't connecting to any of the satellites, and there's a few up there allright (GPS Test app says so)
    But it just times out trying to connect, any ideas guys?

Access to data/wifi enabled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

Don't forget to turn on the data roaming as well.

Yep. Official from MS. Developed by SEVEN.

Haven't tried it yet. Downloading it now.

Main advantage of this over the regular email app is it has push notifications. So you don't need to having it checking every hour for emails.

ttcomet wrote: »

Don't forget to turn on the data roaming as well.
    I have data off because I'm not roaming yet (slow Meteor) but those things shouldn't affect the GPS should they?

I have data off because I'm not roaming yet (slow Meteor) but those things shouldn't affect the GPS should they?

The map is updated through data use. They are not loaded onto the device, like a TomTom or Garmin.

The map is updated through data use. They are not loaded onto the device, like a TomTom or Garmin.
    Still nothing to do with the GPS not getting a lock, besides I pre-cached the area I'm in so it is on the device, and I have wifi enabled too but the geolocation still times out, for example on the GPS Test app I mentioned, with all data connections off, that app sees around 5-7 satellites in the sky, but doesn't connect to any of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Re trying to move 'Messaging' from the applications menu to the shortcuts at the bottom of the screen and/or get rid of Layar:
    Lordfranto wrote: »
    Hit the menu button and select edit.then move em around, and id say u can't get rid of laylar cos it came preloaded on the phone? if so u can only.remove by rooting. if u downloaded it u can delete it by using the edit option also

Thanks for the reply, but that didn't work either.
    It's really annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

spurious wrote: »
    Re trying to move 'Messaging' from the applications menu to the shortcuts at the bottom of the screen and/or get rid of Layar:

Thanks for the reply, but that didn't work either.
    It's really annoying.

Make sure your applications menu is in grid view not list view....

Press Applications
    Press your menu button (bottom left)
    Select Grid view (as it doesn't give the option of edit in list view)
    Press you menu button again
    Select Edit
    Move your icons in and out of the dock.

Its happened me a few times too and its hard to find out how to do it even by searching google.

EDIT: Forgot to say you need to hold your finger on the icon for a couple of seconds before it can be moved.

Still nothing to do with the GPS not getting a lock, besides I pre-cached the area I'm in so it is on the device, and I have wifi enabled too but the geolocation still times out, for example on the GPS Test app I mentioned, with all data connections off, that app sees around 5-7 satellites in the sky, but doesn't connect to any of them.

Hmmm. I had a similar problem with my Hero, back in the day. Only way I fixed it was with changing my ROM.

Stock Rom, or custom?

Hmmm. I had a similar problem with my Hero, back in the day. Only way I fixed it was with changing my ROM.

Stock Rom, or custom?
    Stock 2.3.4, I assume Ireland and Spain would share some satellites, it's weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

i think it is ok but only shows you the last 30 days of emails.
    also, you have to press 3 buttons to get into your
    subfolders.

still am using both until i decide which i prefer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Stock 2.3.4, I assume Ireland and Spain would share some satellites, it's weird.
    http://androidforums.com/2918122-post88.html

might help?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭acurno

Having a problem accessing my photo's on the phone. When I click Gallery it can sometimes take up to a minute for the gallery to load up. It's not like I've many photos at all. Their all on the SD card though, would it speed it up quicker if they were saved on the internal or has anyone had a problem with this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

the gallery can be quite slow until it caches all the images.
    you could try quickpic as an alternative

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.alensw.PicFolder&feature=search_result

subway wrote: »
    the gallery can be quite slow until it caches all the images.
    you could try quickpic as an alternative

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.alensw.PicFolder&feature=search_result

Could also be the speed of the SD card. What class is it?

On that note, did anyone get an SD card included with their S2? I got one with my Hero, herself got one with her Galaxy Ace, but I didn't with the S2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Could also be the speed of the SD card. What class is it?

On that note, did anyone get an SD card included with their S2? I got one with my Hero, herself got one with her Galaxy Ace, but I didn't with the S2.

You dont get 1 with the S2 since theres 16gb onboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Does anyone know how to stop a website from auto rerouting to it's mobile equivilant if there is one available? The phone is well capable of displaying full webpages, I don't need to look at something designed for a **** nokia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Hi all- looking at amazon to purchase SIM free- can i ask-
    (1) Do I just get a SIM from mobile supplier then and away I go?
    (2) Buying this from .co.uk- will the phone work straight from the box with SIM from Irish mobile supplier?
    (3) Is there a better place in Ireland to buy the S2?

Many thanks.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-I9100-Galaxy-Free-Smartphone/dp/B004QTBQ2C/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318876680&sr=1-1

• Advertisement
Advertisement