Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Sully wrote: »
    Has this been released yet?

ICS?
    Source went live last night. Official update wont be ready til Jan id say.
    Custome ROMS probably december (suitable for everyday use ones anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

ciaran75 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the tips lads,

I think all apps are useful to someone, personally i've no use for any of them.

i think i'll just root?
    how easy it is to unroot if you get a problem and need to return to shop?

does anyone have idiot proof instructions to do this?

cheers,

Rooting is pretty easy, it basicaly just means flashing an insecure kernel (which allows root access). The easiest way to flash these is via Odin (a PC program). Most rooted kernels will include a custom recovery image and the superuser app (controls root access for apps).

Simplest thing is to find out what kernel version you are running (in settings >> about phone >> kernel version -and you'll see something like this

2.6.35.7-I9100XXKG1-CL349526

The 3 letters/numbers in bold are all you have to remember.

Make sure you have Kies installed on your PC (you need the drivers) but not set to autostart when your phone is plugged in.

The follow the guide

After you root (or before) download Titanium backup from the market the Pro version will allow you freeze apps as well as performing backup functions - which means you can freeze (stop them from autostarting) a lot more of the system apps without having to delete them, in case problems arise.

To unroot, all you have to do is flash a stock (secure) kernel, which is easier to do (via CWM app)

I've tried Kies on three machines now but all the same result. I'm wondering if my phone's ID has to percolate up to the Kies server and then get put on some whitelist for the meteor 2.3.5 rom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Incase anyones interested, ICS porting effort already underway on XDA for SGS2.
    Not too far along atm, kinda booting & display working but progress is progress :)
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1347753

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Sorry about the relatively noob question but if my phone is:
    pda: i9100xwke7
    phone: i9100xxke4
    csc i900xeukd1

Does it matter what firmware I download as I want to get 2.3.5 (currently on 2.3.3)

Phone is rooted too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,707 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Can I have some advice please

I bought the galaxy s2 when it came out first but had to bring it back because of the dodgy wifi so im wondering has the handset improved since software updates

Any improvements to the battery too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I have had my S2 for nearly a month and the urge to flash a new ROM is very strong, particularly when I get reminders to update crapware like zapatag or golden pages that will not uninstall.

Is there any ROM where the FM radio still works and the WIFI is improved?
    I have previously went the Darky, Insanity, Miui route on my Galaxy S which was when I realised that I actually use the FM radio quite a lot!

The main options seem to be cyanogen based which kills the FM radio I think.

Just in case anyone else has the same issue...

I figured out that I'm not seeing the 2.3.5 update because Meteor gave me a generic unbranded SGS2 (where unbranded means they didn't change the CSC rather than just the lack of carrier apps). I double-checked with FusDownloader and that confirmed that the latest unbranded firmware was 2.3.4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Got 2.3.5 on 3 from kies a week ago but my gtalk keeps fc'ing since, even cleared everything flashed an old 2.3.3 and reflashed via kies again and same thing with gtalk, so tried a couple of apks from xda and modaco but same problem, no gtalk :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

Nice little dig at the Apple fanbase there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Interesting. IME there are a lot more reasons to get an SGS II than the fact "it's not an iPhone". I think to market it like this sells the SGS II way short. As for 4G, well no phone currently available has "real" 4G. US networks market HSDPA+ (which the iPhone 4S has) and LTE as 4G, but a more accurate description would be 3.75G, 3.9G or "FauxG".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Its a fastastic phone imo especially when its a lot cheaper than the iphone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭techdiver

Anyone using K9 email on their Galaxy S2?

I am having issues today connecting. I removed my gmail account and re-added it but I see an SSL handshake timeout exception in the debug logs when trying to connect to the gmail server.

Anyone else any issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

what the best phone holder for the Galaxy SII or Bluetooth kit ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

techdiver wrote: »
    Anyone using K9 email on their Galaxy S2?

I am having issues today connecting. I removed my gmail account and re-added it but I see an SSL handshake timeout exception in the debug logs when trying to connect to the gmail server.

Anyone else any issues?
    I can't send emails using K9 - haven't been able to since I installed it. No matter what setting I tried for the outgoing mail it just wouldn't work. Only use it as it actually holds on to the recieved emails unlike the factory app which deletes them when they've been removed from the server.

Posted looking for help a while ago but got no replies so don't see that theres much I can do about it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

Not much help to those having problems with K9 but i find it an excellent app. No problems sending or receiving (today or any other day) so perhaps its just a settings issue you have?
    Apologies for not being much help :o

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭fitzie79

I updated my phone to 2.3.5 last night, mainly to get the video chat capability with google talk. I used Samsung kies to do this and it seemed to work fine.however when I launched google talk there is no video chat option. My wife has a HTC sensation and she is running 2.3.4 and google talk has video chat enabled. We are both on meteor there any reason why the Samsung version of Android doesn't have this feature?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Decided I'm gonna get this phone, looks really good and pretty much all the reviews online are saying it's the best smartphone on the market at the moment.

Currently with Vodafone, but planning on switching to 3 because of their better price plans (pre pay). However I want to take the Vodafone upgrade in Carphone Warehouse as it's €50 cheaper than with 3. Do you know if you buy it from Carphone Warehouse will it be the stock Samsung phone, and won't have any Vodafone or 3 logos?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Anyone know when the sim-free phones are getting 2.3.5 on kies?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Got this phone as an upgrade (on 3) on Friday, must say I am blown away with this phone. I have 2.3.5 going but the blue bar on the internet window is pretty annoying :o wonder if it will also feature if I download Opera or Dolphin...

will have to test that but other than that, hugely impressed! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

angel01 wrote: »
    Got this phone as an upgrade (on 3) on Friday, must say I am blown away with this phone. I have 2.3.5 going but the blue bar on the internet window is pretty annoying :o wonder if it will also feature if I download Opera or Dolphin...

will have to test that but other than that, hugely impressed! :D

Snap.

FWIW, i've been using boat browser, it absolutely flies along, renders pages beautifully!

Pleased with the phone, glad I didn't hold out now!

Ghandee wrote: »
    Snap.

FWIW, i've been using boat browser, it absolutely flies along, renders pages beautifully!

Pleased with the phone, glad I didn't hold out now!

I will have a go at that browser... wonder if the blue bar will show up if I press down on the screen.

Amazing phone! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

What's with the blue fading line when you scroll too far.

Le King wrote: »

Seems to be a feature effect on 2.3.5 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

Thinking of getting this phone, currently have the galaxy S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

What is the battery life on the S2 like compared to the HTC Desire?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Le King wrote: »

In their newest ROMs for the past few months, Samsung had to remove the 'bounce' effect when you scroll too far after being sued by Apple over it.

They quickly replaced it with this 'overscroll glow' effect, which looks terrible imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

seanp_25 wrote: »
    In their newest ROMs for the past few months, Samsung had to remove the 'bounce' effect when you scroll too far after being sued by Apple over it.

They quickly replaced it with this 'overscroll glow' effect, which looks terrible imho.

I wouldn't mind it so much if it wasn't blue. It just seems like a weird colour for it. Although it is a pretty decent alternative to the bounce effect, if they can't use that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

Benzino wrote: »
    Decided I'm gonna get this phone, looks really good and pretty much all the reviews online are saying it's the best smartphone on the market at the moment.

Currently with Vodafone, but planning on switching to 3 because of their better price plans (pre pay). However I want to take the Vodafone upgrade in Carphone Warehouse as it's €50 cheaper than with 3. Do you know if you buy it from Carphone Warehouse will it be the stock Samsung phone, and won't have any Vodafone or 3 logos?

Thanks.

It'll have some bloatware (apps you don't need) but they can easily be removed by rooting. Its super easy and I suggest you do it, you can SIM unlock your phone, put blazing fast ROM's etc. on it with a breeze when you're rooted. :cool:

• Advertisement

Has anybody found a solution for really low earphone volume? The same earphones used on a iPhone 4 and SGS2 and the iPhone sounds a good 75% louder, at least.

I listen to music whenever I'm going anywhere and it's annoying. Might have to invest in an iPod or something if I can't find a fix for poor volume. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

LukeS_ wrote: »
    Has anybody found a solution for really low earphone volume? The same earphones used on a iPhone 4 and SGS2 and the iPhone sounds a good 75% louder, at least.

I listen to music whenever I'm going anywhere and it's annoying. Might have to invest in an iPod or something if I can't find a fix for poor volume. :(

Also finding this problem :( bought sennheisers and it didn't make much difference either!

ShaneU wrote: »
    Anyone know when the sim-free phones are getting 2.3.5 on kies?

Nope, but I'll post back here when it is.

Also finding this problem :( bought sennheisers and it didn't make much difference either!

I'm not a sound engineer but if you get headphones with higher impedance you'll get lower volume overall, no? I got some expensive in-ear ones and I noticed the volume was a fair bit lower.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Ponster wrote: »

Interesting. I did something similar on my jailbroken ipod to get the volume up, somebody on the apple forums said it was some EU volume restriction imposed on us by the French :rolleyes:

Ponster wrote: »

Do you need to root to do this? as it says menu blocked for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Nope. No need to root but is reset after each reboot if you are not rooted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Im very impressed with GPS on this phone, its WAY superior to the SGS1!

Satellite lock in approx 3 secs! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

get one of the many equalizer apps freely available off the market

Auvers wrote: »

get one of the many equalizer apps freely available off the market

I have. I've also tried audioboost SGS2 but it's still nothing compared to my iPhone's which doesn't become muffled at a loud volume.

I can't even try that service code thing as I'm running a custom non touchwiz rom.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

is there not any hifi like docking stations available for the galaxy S2? similar to the Iphone.?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Washout wrote: »
    is there not any hifi like docking stations available for the galaxy S2? similar to the Iphone.?

There are a couple of Philips ones:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005HT7M0K/

But they are actually just a USB charging station and then Bluetooth speakers. There is no data connection between the dock and the phone, just power. The speakers connect via bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Has anyone ever got to a consensus on a solution for or cause of the "Suspend Events" problems inside the Android Process part of battery usage. This shows up on my Better battery stats as each being 13 minutes and my Android OS usage is 59% for the past 19 hours. Have turned off autosync etc. Could it be a dodgy app or 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

robinph wrote: »
    There are a couple of Philips ones:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005HT7M0K/

But they are actually just a USB charging station and then Bluetooth speakers. There is no data connection between the dock and the phone, just power. The speakers connect via bluetooth.

thanks...doesnt look very nice.

I reckon Apple has a patent(s) out on docking stations so maybe thats why we dont see em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I have. I've also tried audioboost SGS2 but it's still nothing compared to my iPhone's which doesn't become muffled at a loud volume.

I can't even try that service code thing as I'm running a custom non touchwiz rom.:(

Have you tried PowerAmp?? It has a preamp function in the equaliser settings which kicks up the volume massively. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5tYXhtcHouYXVkaW9wbGF5ZXIiXQ..

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Has anyone tried dual booting roms with Lolboot yet? Seems interesting... Just got the phone today and can't decide if I want to dump samsungs ui or just run a tweaked rom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Two questions I would appreciate I answer too...

1/ What kind of battery life (on an average usage day) are people getting from their Galaxy S2 using the stock rom - I am on 2.3.5

2/ I am with Tesco mobile, as such I am roaming onto the 02 network all day... would that have much of an impact on battery life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

DRose1 wrote: »
    Two questions I would appreciate I answer too...

1/ What kind of battery life (on an average usage day) are people getting from their Galaxy S2 using the stock rom - I am on 2.3.5

2/ I am with Tesco mobile, as such I am roaming onto the 02 network all day... would that have much of an impact on battery life?

1) Battery life is a very personal thing with smartphones. Lots of factors in play.
    I for one have constant syncing with Twitter, Facebook, Gmail and Hotmail active on my device. 3G is always active, along with Wi-Fi. I rarely use GPS or Bluetooth.
    I have 70+ apps installed on the device, doing various things in the background and foreground. I use a live wallpaper on my homescreen, with a non stock home launcher that uses 3d animations.
    I'm using a custom rom too. I might do about 15 - 20 texts in a day, and 1 or 2 phone calls.
    All told, I'm getting about 16 - 20 hours of battery life from a full charge on the phone, which I personally think is pretty good! :)

2) You are not really roaming on the O2 network, more you are using the O2 network. Tesco is a virtual mobile operator, so when the phone picks up the O2 IE network, it just displays Tesco Mobile (or whatever) instead of O2 IE.
    This would have zero impact on your battery life! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

^^ Thanks for the reply. I dont do anywhere the usage you do and my battery life is worse than that... Are you using a custom rom?

One other issue I forgot to mention is that auto-brightness does not work. When I turn it on it just dims the phone to the lowest brightness setting and just stays at that level regardless of what I do... I thought Samsung fixed that issue with a previous firmware update?

• Advertisement
Advertisement