Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Yeah, I have a custom rom alright, but i can't comment on what the stock rom is like, cos I changed to the custom rom the day I got the phone!

Auto-brightness does work for me, but sorry I can't comment on official firmware myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Had a couple of 'freeze while idle' moments in the first week but has been solid as a rock until now. Had 2 'freeze while idle' moments in the last 2 days and a major battery drain (>30%) between when I last checked the battery and when I restarted the phone (usually only lose 2-3% an hour). On Lite'ning Rom but not had these problems for months - bit odd. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I'm on Lite'ning rom also, has been brilliant up to last week. Was losing 50% of battery over night on flightmode, also getting constant crashes. Must have, been an app i don't know. Cleared my battery stats after charging fully, switching it off and charging, the whole calibration thing.

Working fine now again, losing maybe 3%-5% overnight.

Does anyone know why 4od doesn't work on the SGS2? Works fine on Xoom

Trying VillainRom ATM, not all that impressed. Nice to get back to the default look of things but the panning doesn't seem to work (FC everytime I try to enable it) and the battery life so far is about half what I was getting with Lite'ning Rom. And I miss having the percentage charge in place of the battery on the status bar.

AntiRip wrote: »
    Does anyone know why 4od doesn't work on the SGS2? Works fine on Xoom

It works for me, in that it plays, but when it's fullscreen on the phone, the screenlock still kicks in and puts the screen to sleep :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

marcbrophy wrote: »
    It works for me, in that it plays, but when it's fullscreen on the phone, the screenlock still kicks in and puts the screen to sleep :mad:

I love android, this was bugging me too and when I saw your post I though there must be something to fix this and apparently there is! an app called Screen on allows you to select apps and it will keep the screen on when they are running... Might be of use!

Flashed Simple and Clean there, lots of bloatware gone that I'd previously frozen. Like that it gives me the battery percent at the top.

Alas it doesn't have the FMRadio app...I've downloaded his apk of it but it won't work, just says Not Installed after I've given it permission to install. Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind the above, sorted it out myself!

Now to find Google Talk for it.

Can you tell me wat rom and browser you are using?

I'm using Lign'ing Rom and Dolphin, and when I press play on the videos nothing happens

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I love android, this was bugging me too and when I saw your post I though there must be something to fix this and apparently there is! an app called Screen on allows you to select apps and it will keep the screen on when they are running... Might be of use!

Great, thanks! This might help a few people with this issue. :)

I was just trying it again earlier, and couldn't get any video to play! It's a very frustrating site to try and use on a mobile, that's for sure.

I even tried ps3.channel4.com but had no luck either, but it's a little more user friendly to use!

• Advertisement

I'm using Lign'ing Rom and Dolphin, and when I press play on the videos nothing happens

Lite'ning 6.1 with stock browser. As I mentioned above, I might just have been lucky last night, and it worked off the bat, but I can't get it to run again today for some reason :mad:

Any chance of C4 making a 4od app that'd be available in Ireland? :pac:

Lite'ning 6.1 with stock browser. As I mentioned above, I might just have been lucky last night, and it worked off the bat, but I can't get it to run again today for some reason :mad:

Any chance of C4 making a 4od app that'd be available in Ireland? :pac:

Perhaps try a different browser. Skyfire seems to have some dedicated video thing but you only get a trial of it. I use dolphin mini and am having success with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Does anyone have a link to the official samsung 2.3.6 rom for the S2, or is it for the American variant only?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I have cyanogenmod on mine, keep getting the odd reboot. Maybe once a day. Anyone else? Had VillainRom, not very adjustable I found. MIUI kept getting stuck in airplane mode.

Any recommendations?

MarkR wrote: »
    I have cyanogenmod on mine, keep getting the odd reboot. Maybe once a day. Anyone else? Had VillainRom, not very adjustable I found. MIUI kept getting stuck in airplane mode.

Any recommendations?

I've tried most and tbh I kept going back to Lign'ning Rom. Find it great, had to recalibrate the battery stats last week as I was loosing a lot of juice but other than that very stable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭stonybroke

does your galaxy s 2 get hot?

stonybroke wrote: »
    does your galaxy s 2 get hot?

Nope, not really. Maybe a little if I watch some streaming sites on it such as rteplayer or aertv, unless the case is absorbing it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Got an S2 last week, loving it so far. However, I've only access to a macbook for the time being, and it just does not recognize the S2 at all. The phone says it's connected and everything seems fine on that end, but nothing comes up on the macbook. Anybody else had/have this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Telchak

Benzino wrote: »
    Got an S2 last week, loving it so far. However, I've only access to a macbook for the time being, and it just does not recognize the S2 at all. The phone says it's connected and everything seems fine on that end, but nothing comes up on the macbook. Anybody else had/have this problem?

I don't think OSX antively supports the MTP type connection that the GSII uses. Go to Settings > Application > Development, and enable USB Debugging. Then connect the phone and tap the notification that appears, and you'll connect to the computer in disk mode (:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Have you downloaded Kies for Mac?

If you have and it still doesn't work, try turning on USB debugging on your phone. Settings-applications -development

Zagato wrote: »
    Have you downloaded Kies for Mac?

If you have and it still doesn't work, try turning on USB debugging on your phone. Settings-applications -development

I'm such a noob, I went onto the Samsung site and all I could find was a windows version, so assumed there was no version for macs. Just found one now on Google, thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

You got Kies installed yeah?

lewis wrote: »
    You got Kies installed yeah?

Just got it installed. The official one doesn't support Lion, but I got a version for it here.

Haven't tried connecting it up to the phone yet.

Not very impressed with Kies. It seems to dump all my music files into the same folder, so if I have 2 songs with the same name (which is the case for a number of songs), I can only replace the existing song or not copy it at all :/

Apologies, should have mentioned what a pile of c®@p it is. Just switch on USB debugging and mount your mount your internal/exteranal storage after connecting to your macbook and then you can drag and drop, or use something like doubletwist to sync with playlists

• Advertisement

DoubleTwist works a charm, thanks! :) Will probably end up rooting it this weekend anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭AnnaGram85

Here lads - I'm having a problem when making calls - I keep hanging up on the call with my face pressing against the buttons! Is there any way I can prevent this from happening - I must have a really awkward face! :(

antone update their software thru kies, everything work ok?

anyone update their software thru kies, everything work ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

AnnaGram85 wrote: »
    Here lads - I'm having a problem when making calls - I keep hanging up on the call with my face pressing against the buttons! Is there any way I can prevent this from happening - I must have a really awkward face! :(

Theres a proximity sensor next to the front facing camera that should turn the screen off when its up to your face. Mine does anyway :/

• Advertisement

Your proximity sensor is probably switched off, go to 'settings' then 'call' and check there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

stonybroke wrote: »
    anyone update their software thru kies, everything work ok?

I updated thro Kies, everything going fine so left it to it's own devices. After a bit Kies reported a problem saying it couldn't continue (about half way through) then i realised the screensaver/keylock on the phone had activated (set to 5 mins i think) and had reset the connection with the laptop.

I repeated the procedure, making sure to press a button every couple of minures to keep the screensaver at bay & it went perfectly.

Hope that helps.

(btw all your pics,txts,music,ebooks etc will be fine, at least mine were, but i spose backing up anything important wouldn't be a bad idea...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

You`ll need to get a new face..sorry, lol

Theres a proximity sensor next to the front facing camera that should turn the screen off when its up to your face. Mine does anyway :/

Thanks for this - it wasn't on. Hopefully now people won't think I'm a total dope on the phone - embarrassing explaining' Er sorry about that, I pressed hang up with my cheek'...................

Woo :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I decided to organise my apps to make it easier to find stuff, so I rearranged them with all news on one page, games on another, etc. However they never seem to stay where I put them for very long, some just migrate to random pages shortly afterwards. Anyone have any ideas why this is and what I can do to stop it happening? I'm running v2.3.5 btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Sorry about this lads but cant find what im looking for through all the pages.

Looking for a simple step by step guide on how to root and flash custom rom etc on the Galaxy S2.
    Ive done this before with the San francisco but still would like a step by step guide thanks.

I have another question, but it's probably more so related to my network...

When I send an MMS message, it just says 'Sending' for ages and the person doesn't receive it. However, if they send me a picture, or if someone else does, THEN my picture sends - what's the story there????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

I have another question, but it's probably more so related to my network...

When I send an MMS message, it just says 'Sending' for ages and the person doesn't receive it. However, if they send me a picture, or if someone else does, THEN my picture sends - what's the story there????

The same with my phone the picture takes ages to get to the other phone often till the next day but i get pictures straight away.

Anybody notice that when you start Gmail application it opens up your contacts? Very annoying

Zaph wrote: »
    I decided to organise my apps to make it easier to find stuff, so I rearranged them with all news on one page, games on another, etc. However they never seem to stay where I put them for very long, some just migrate to random pages shortly afterwards. Anyone have any ideas why this is and what I can do to stop it happening? I'm running v2.3.5 btw.

I'm running a custom rom on 2.3.4 and could see the same thing happening too. There wasn't enough of a pattern for me to figure out why it was happening. At a pure guess, I think apps moved to the end of the app tray after they had a manual update in the market, or a change to their icon for the app. Really, just a guess though, as that's when I saw it happening to me! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

ciaran75 wrote: »
    lads,

i've an SG2 and recently updated to 2.3.5 via kies with meteor.

There are so many crap apps (even more installed with 2.3.5) which i'll never use and can't unininstall like
    'the journal, daft.ie,adverts.ie,rte doconone, zappatag,entertainment.ie,gael fon, goldenpages.ie, places, yahoo finance etc. etc. etc.'

is rooting or custom rom's the only way to uninstall them?
    why does samsung install these?
    did i hear you will be able to uninstall everything once we get ICS?

Cheers,
    At the moment rooting is the only way to delete them I think.
    Samsung doesnt installl them. Meteor does in their own firmware versions.
    ICS wont allow you to uninstall but it will allow them to be frozen so theyre not active but they still take up space (I assume its just a way of getting around the bloat in carrier contracts)

I contacted Samsung Support and they said the same, but I don't get that. They weren't there when I bougth the phone, why is Samsung downloading bloatware for Meteor?

I don't really want to risk rooting but this crap is such a waste of space...And the Yahoo Finance one seems to have horribly broad permissions, though that was there from the start. I only got a cheapish Galaxy Mini, at least I'll know not to buy Samsung when I buy a better phone some day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Occono wrote: »
    I contacted Samsung Support and they said the same, but I don't get that. They weren't there when I bougth the phone, why is Samsung downloading bloatware for Meteor?

I don't really want to risk rooting but this crap is such a waste of space...And the Yahoo Finance one seems to have horribly broad permissions, though that was there from the start. I only got a cheapish Galaxy Mini, at least I'll know not to buy Samsung when I buy a better phone some day.

Samsung isnt doing anything. Its Meteor. Meteor decided to add it to the firmware. Samsung just host the networks own firmware update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

Samsung isnt doing anything. Its Meteor. Meteor decided to add it to the firmware. Samsung just host the networks own firmware update

Oh. Huh. Thanks. I didn't realize it worked like that >_>

Why do they even make these apps uninstallable? If people don't want to use them it's just wasting their memory for no good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I've got my S2 on Vodafone, my work phone is O2 though and the SIM doesn't work in the S2, is it possible to unlock the phone?

I'm running a custom rom on 2.3.4 and could see the same thing happening too. There wasn't enough of a pattern for me to figure out why it was happening. At a pure guess, I think apps moved to the end of the app tray after they had a manual update in the market, or a change to their icon for the app. Really, just a guess though, as that's when I saw it happening to me! :)

I haven't really been paying any attention to when it's happening, so I must keep an eye on updates. It's a real pain in the arse though, because it's tedious enough moving the apps around in the first place.

danthefan wrote: »
    I've got my S2 on Vodafone, my work phone is O2 though and the SIM doesn't work in the S2, is it possible to unlock the phone?

Yes, try searching the S2 modding thread for 'unlock', it will require root though (info can also be found on that or this thread)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Zaph wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me, I just ended up putting them all in folders

ShaneU wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me, I just ended up putting them all in folders

I might do that actually

Anyone try out the onlive app? You can't install it from the market as it's not available in Ireland but it's free and can be found on the web. I played a minute or two of lego batman. Flawless, though I really need a controller!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

ShooterSF wrote: »
    You can't install it from the market as it's not available in Ireland but it's free and can be found on the web.

Link please???

Ben

Advertisement