Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

...It doesn't always make it better and has risks however minimal. People don't have to take these risks though. Rooting isn't nearly as necessary as it used to be back with phones like the G1.
    .....a lot are better off considering a lot of the sh!t you see on every android forum of people being told to root and then the place is flooded with them asking the same questions over and over when they make mistakes, don't read properly and get in over their head...You're just coming across with an air of superiority with this wasted money and get an iphone stuff. I'd bet there's plenty of people running stock firmware who get a lot more out of their phone because they're not looking into every new rom release and simply enjoying it for what it is.

There`s risks in everything, that`s life.
    It`s only worse if you don`t do it right. I never said it was necessary, but it`s free and improves the phone, A LOT...well that`s the users fault...superiority, lol, granted it does take time to get the hang of it, it`s all down to choice.
    robinph wrote: »
    So as you bought the phone before you knew about being able to root and mod the phone, did you consider it a wasted purchase until that point?

Most people don't know or care about rooting their phones. Exactly the same as when you first bought your phone.

Yes.

Well that`s there loss...all comes down to how much time your willing to put into it, some people see it as just another phone, others see it as much more.
    Sacramento wrote: »
    @Lewis, a lot of people get all the functionality they want from the OEM roms so why would they want to root the phone to get functionality they won't need or use?

If I was to use cars as a comparison like you did, everyone would have modded their cars to bits "to get the best out of them" but they don't, because they don't need to.

There isn't a thing on this planet that can't be changed in some way to be made better. It just doesn't always make sense.

If there happy with stock, then fair play.

It`s not a necessity, just a big plus, a free big plus.

True, but in this case it does..;)

Talk about my back being against the wall, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

What colour would ye suggest..black or white??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

lewis wrote: »
    I don`t mean this in a nasty way but there`s no point in buying an Android phone unless you plan on rooting it, if that`s the case then get an iPhone.

I`ve said this till me balls turn purple, stock firmware is crap, so with Android it lets you get more improved firmware so you can make it yours.

The only other thing I can suggest to you in either take the plunge and root the whore or sell it while you can get a good price and get an iPhone.

Totally disagree, I haven't rooted my phone and have no intention of doing so, let people manage their phones the way they want. I use stock firmware and am quite happy to do so. The phone does everything I need it to do.

I couldn't care less about ROM's, Rooting or any other damn thing, why not just let people root if they want to, use a different ROM if they want to or just use stock ROM if they want to. My phone works perfectly as it is and you come across as quite rude and condescending towards others just because they don't want to do the same things as you.

angel01 wrote: »
    Totally disagree, I haven't rooted my phone and have no intention of doing so, let people manage their phones the way they want. I use stock firmware and am quite happy to do so. The phone does everything I need it to do.

I couldn't care less about ROM's, Rooting or any other damn thing, why not just let people root if they want to, use a different ROM if they want to or just use stock ROM if they want to. My phone works perfectly as it is and you come across as quite rude and condescending towards others just because they don't want to do the same things as you.

Well that`s you then man, but when there`s other who come on here and other forums complaining about this and that cause there on stock and wondering why Kies is doing what it`s supposed to, what else is there left to do?

Listen I`ve had it up to hear with this, just leave it, you do what ya`s want, when you run into any trouble, your on your own...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's only the apparent attitude towards rooting and that everyone should do it or they are an idiot and should get an iPhone that there is an issue with.

Rooting your Android phone will let it do things that you can't otherwise do. If that makes it worth doing or not for any individual is an entirely different matter. For the vast majority of people it isn't worth doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

lewis wrote: »
    Well that`s you then man, but when there`s other who come on here and other forums complaining about this and that cause there on stock and wondering why Kies is doing what it`s supposed to, what else is there left to do?

Listen I`ve had it up to hear with this, just leave it, you do what ya`s want, when you run into any trouble, your on your own...:rolleyes:

FYI angel is a gurl!

Jaysis lewis those kids must be getting to you.

If people want to stay on stock then so be it. It ain't nearly as bad as it was in the days of 1.6 or 2.1. Even when the Galaxy S1 used RFS it was crap. Things are much better with stock gingerbread now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ste- wrote: »
    If people want to stay on stock then so be it. It ain't nearly as bad as it was in the days of 1.6 or 2.1. Even when the Galaxy S1 used RFS it was crap. Things are much better with stock gingerbread now.

Try it in the days of 1.1 & 1.5 :(
    My poor 1st G1 :o
    (someone named the radio file wrong and when I flashed it = brick :pac: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

closeline wrote: »
    What colour would ye suggest..black or white??
    I prefer the white one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

so what ROM is everyone using?

• Advertisement

Said I would post this here aswell. Just wondering what emobile is like..With meteor for 30 euro bill pay the Galaxy S2 is gone up to 280. Whats that about. Up the price by 50 euro the week before Christmas. Offer from emobile. 30 euro or more a month on bill pay, you can get the phone for 50 euro..advice please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Said I would post this here aswell. Just wondering what emobile is like..With meteor for 30 euro bill pay the Galaxy S2 is gone up to 280. Whats that about. Up the price by 50 euro the week before Christmas. Offer from emobile. 30 euro or more a month on bill pay, you can get the phone for 50 euro..advice please.

Well emobile runs off the Meteor network, so you won't see any difference in coverage if you are already on Meteor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Jebus Meteor are getting fairly saucy with their price hikes! :eek:

I got mine off them only 3 months ago for €160!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭dots104

ICS confirmed for Q1. Still won't get it here till the summer i imagine

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/20/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-and-note-get-late-ics-christmas-presents-ar/

Ya ridiculous the way they upped the price with a week to go. I will probably go with emobile. I think you also get a discount if you have an eircom landline. Will someone tell me what is the difference between the current S2 and the ICS version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Ya ridiculous the way they upped the price with a week to go. I will probably go with emobile. I think you also get a discount if you have an eircom landline. Will someone tell me what is the difference between the current S2 and the ICS version?

ICS is just a newer version of andriod that will, at some stage next year, be given to users of the SGS2 as an update. This will depend on your carrier branding the software their own way, then releasing it to the public.

I'm not sure if the SGS2 will ever ship with andriod ICS pre-installed, but if it does, I'd hazard a guess that it wouldn't be until the middle of next year, start of Q2 at the earliest!

You definitely get a discount on emobile if you are a eircom landline customer! I think it's 5 bucks per month cheaper for the tariff!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭wilmer mclean

Does anyone know where you can get the default galaxy s2 notification sounds and ringtones? Seems to have deleted mine by accident somehow :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

[..]
    However, there is plenty of reasons for having an Android phone and NOT rooting it.

Give one. "not enough knowledge" is an excuse not a reason. A reason for me would be: "app X doesn't work on rooted phone" or "it limits the way I can use my phone".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Give one. "not enough knowledge" is an excuse not a reason. A reason for me would be: "app X doesn't work on rooted phone" or "it limits the way I can use my phone".

Excuse? What do you need an excuse for not rooting your phone for??? It is not a requirement to root all Android phones just because it is possible. "Not enough knowledge" is a perfectly good reason, and the one that would apply to most Android phone users. Or "What the fudge is rooting?" would be another reason along similar lines for the majority of people.

Personally, it would be "can't be arsed" and "any benefits are not worth the hassle".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

My 18-year old self would have it rooted the day I bought it.

My 40-year old self just "can't be arsed".

Excuse? What do you need an excuse for not rooting your phone for??? It is not a requirement to root all Android phones just because it is possible. "Not enough knowledge" is a perfectly good reason, and the one that would apply to most Android phone users. Or "What the fudge is rooting?" would be another reason along similar lines for the majority of people.

Personally, it would be "can't be arsed" and "any benefits are not worth the hassle".

OK, reasons to root:
    - remove bloatware provided by samsung
    - the only way to make full backup (data, apps)
    - use buttons for notifications (custom kernel required)
    - underclock/undervolt to have a better battery life (comment as above)
    - remove sim lock without hassle (waiting period 2 months in my case)

There are more that won't apply to many "normal users", like custom ROMs or access to "su" with terminal, but I think that the list above is good enough.

By the way I think that rooting should be unnecessary - phones should be sold rooted! The same way we (OK, most of us) have access to our PCs.

• Advertisement

PrzemoF wrote: »
    OK, reasons to root:
    - remove bloatware provided by samsung
    - the only way to make full backup (data, apps)
    - use buttons for notifications (custom kernel required)
    - underclock/undervolt to have a better battery life (comment as above)
    - remove sim lock without hassle (waiting period 2 months in my case)

There are more that won't apply to many "normal users", like custom ROMs or access to "su" with terminal, but I think that the list above is good enough.

By the way I think that rooting should be unnecessary - phones should be sold rooted! The same way we (OK, most of us) have access to our PCs.

OK, reasons for Meh re:rooting.

-boatware - the memory left on the phone after the pre installed stuff really isn't getting in my way
    -backup - all my emails and contacts are backed up by Google anyway, I'm not writing any critical documents on the phone, and if I was then that is all syned to the could anyway. Apps are all available from the Market, so why back them up, I'll just re-download again
    -notifications - the phone makes noises at me already, an LED would be handy alright, but have other app that gives notification on the screen without needing to root
    -clocking - the only vaugely interesting thing
    -sim lock- few people will need as they are most likely still locked into a contract anyway so what need is there to stick in a different sim

Most of those things you've given, except for the battery life, will not be noticed by most people as a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

-boatware - the memory left on the phone after the pre installed stuff really isn't getting in my way

It was the fact that apps I didn't use such as Gaming and Music hub etc were connecting to internet for updates which annoyed me more than having them stuck unused in memory. That was enough for me to root and remove.

One comment about backup: backup can be used to "cheat" in games - I did that with Drag Racing and that's something that is interesting for a normal user. Anyway, I'm on the nerd side [1], so my opinion is strongly biased :)

I'm not claiming that rooting is essential to use the phone - I just cannot see the point of not rooting :p

[1] running cyanogenmod + siyah kernel, custom theme, unlock, icons, CPU 100-1400Mhz (samsung kernel is 200-1200Mhz). The phone just looks like samsung S2, but is completely different and I claim it's better :D
    That how it looks (you can't get there without rooting):
    http://firszt.eu/android/screenshot-1324406471459.png
    http://firszt.eu/android/screenshot-1324406422235.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Anyone running GingerMOD here?

-backup - all my emails and contacts are backed up by Google anyway, I'm not writing any critical documents on the phone, and if I was then that is all syned to the could anyway. Apps are all available from the Market, so why back them up, I'll just re-download again
    -clocking - the only vaugely interesting thing
    -sim lock- few people will need as they are most likely still locked into a contract anyway so what need is there to stick in a different sim

Most of those things you've given, except for the battery life, will not be noticed by most people as a problem.

- Not concerned about the bloat ware apps running in the back round? Having it there when it`s not needed you could get rid of it.
    - What about any saved data with those apps? It`s good to be able to backup everything, not just e-mail/contacts.
    - OC, not needed on a custom ROM, only really by choice, with out the likes of bloat ware on there, it`s good for your phone all around.

I know that people who have seen rooted phones compared to there stock one are like, how the hell did you do/get that, how can I do it, or that`s cool and there wanting to be able to do it them selves, but it all comes down to how much your willing to put into it, that`s what makes the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bobby10_10

I went into Carphone warehouse near Talbot street today and told them i was after a S2 , was quoted 280 , told them i was quoted 230 in stephens green and they said they'd match it :) , only thing was i had no bank statement from the last 3 months so am going back tomorow with a drivers liscence and a income tax credit certificate , is that enough ? otherwise ill have to order a statement and not have it for god knows how long with the time of year it is .

bobby10_10 wrote: »
    I went into Carphone warehouse near Talbot street today and told them i was after a S2 , was quoted 280 , told them i was quoted 230 in stephens green and they said they'd match it :) , only thing was i had no bank statement from the last 3 months so am going back tomorow with a drivers liscence and a income tax credit certificate , is that enough ? otherwise ill have to order a statement and not have it for god knows how long with the time of year it is .

How longs the contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bobby10_10

Its an 18 month contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

Have a bit of a dilema. Can get Galaxy S2 now on emobile for €50 with a bill of €37 a month. That is 200 texts, 200 minutes and 1GB of internet data. For an 18 month contract that is 18 x 37 which is €666 + 50 which is 716 euro. Or else I could buy the phone straight for 499, add on 20 x 18 (360) which adds up to €859. The first deal obviously sounds a lot cheaper but would I be better paying off 499 straight off. Any advice would be grateful. I must buy the phone tomorrow so I must think a lot about it overnight.

• Advertisement

Anyone??

Anyone??
    Only you can really make that decision. ;)

Personally, I went with the 18 month contract as I've been with Meteor for donkey's years now (PAYG), and bar the occasional annoyance with customer service, I've had no real issues with coverage and connections. I don't foresee myself looking to another provider, so sticking with Meteor for another 18 months is no big deal to me.

This is emobile but it shouldnt be any problem. €500 is a lot to spend in one go. €9 a week doesnt sound as bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

Anyone??

and you get free landline calls.

Up to you as people have said . (i got one yesterday 18 months for 24 a month )

Couldn't get the Meteor deal , although I gave it my best shot .:confused:

John mac wrote: »
    and you get free landline calls.

Up to you as people have said . (i got one yesterday 18 months for 24 a month )

Couldn't get the Meteor deal , although I gave it my best shot .:confused:
    We dont have an eircom landline so we dont get to use the free landlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

We dont have an eircom landline so we dont get to use the free landlines.

No. You can ring landline numbers from your mobile. for free..

Are you sure that is the case?? I thought it was free landlines from your own landlines.. Also where can you check if you have gone over the minutes/texts etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

yes...

3 are doing a 24 month contract for e40 a month. free phone when you sign up. might get one tuesday. can't decide between that or the i phone. thats also free on a 24 month contract.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Jesus. Picked up my S2 this morning and its dead. No screen, no lights nothing. Tried a soft reset and then a hard reset and still dead. Changed the charger for a new one a while ago and still nothing, left battery out of it for half hour too. Looks like I'll be going into CPW again for my THIRD one...

Getting really annoyed with them now, I'm thinking the unthinkable...the 4S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

ffs thats terrible!
    hope my one dosen't go like that!

Mine too.

When it works its awesome... I seem to be using my Nokia 3310 more lately because of the amount of time its taken to repair/replace.

FearDark wrote: »
    Jesus. Picked up my S2 this morning and its dead. No screen, no lights nothing. Tried a soft reset and then a hard reset and still dead. Changed the charger for a new one a while ago and still nothing, left battery out of it for half hour too. Looks like I'll be going into CPW again for my THIRD one...

Getting really annoyed with them now, I'm thinking the unthinkable...the 4S.
    Jaysus! :eek:

I've had mine since September and, excluding a couple of FC's from a crap app that I've since uninstalled, its performed flawlessly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Top Dog wrote: »
    Jaysus! :eek:

I've had mine since September and, excluding a couple of FC's from a crap app that I've since uninstalled, its performed flawlessly.

I've had mine since July without a single issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Here I have a strange bug with mine. When I open browser and start a search with the letter l (l for London). It crashes. No idea why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

errlloyd wrote: »
    Here I have a strange bug with mine. When I open browser and start a search with the letter l (l for London). It crashes. No idea why.
    Uninstall /reinstall your browser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I can not get osx to detect the phone in heimdall, it gets into download mode fine and it connects normally to usb storage so it is not the phone or the cables fault.

I do not know why.

Mine decided to work again today, just randomly turn on and actually work. Extremely strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I can not get osx to detect the phone in heimdall, it gets into download mode fine and it connects normally to usb storage so it is not the phone or the cables fault.

I do not know why.

Drivers issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Zagato wrote: »
    Drivers issue?

Despite being a mac I did think that so I updated kies and connected and reinstalled the drivers and restarted and it still did not work.

I installed heimdall 1.1 also because google threw up some results hinting it is an issue with a later version of Heimdall.

Still will not show up as connected in heimdall gui or command line, so I can not root.

The gs2 connects fine just will not show up in heimdall, I can transfer through kies and as a storage device manually.

Does anyone know if the gs2 can be rooted like how the g1 was rooted? ie transfering files onto the device and flashing them in recovery mode or some mode on the phone not through odin/heimdall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement