Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Lads I got that phone anyway on Saturday with emobile for €37 euro..200 minutes, 200 texts and free landlines for €29 and 1GB for €8. I was meteor and when I was buying it they couldnt keep my same number. So until Wednesday I have to use a new emobile number and pin. I will get my old number back then. I am just 6after going onto the emobile website and typed in my number and pin..The following has come up saying that I have 109 texts left and 109 minutes left..it also says that i have used 1.38GB out of 3GB.. Someone please tell me what is happening here. I sent one text in total today since I turned on the new phone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

closeline wrote: »
    Lads I got that phone anyway on Saturday with emobile for €37 euro..200 minutes, 200 texts and free landlines for €29 and 1GB for €8. I was meteor and when I was buying it they couldnt keep my same number. So until Wednesday I have to use a new emobile number and pin. I will get my old number back then. I am just 6after going onto the emobile website and typed in my number and pin..The following has come up saying that I have 109 texts left and 109 minutes left..it also says that i have used 1.38GB out of 3GB.. Someone please tell me what is happening here. I sent one text in total today since I turned on the new phone..

They did this to me too. My billing date is the 11th each month, so they basically just gave me what I had left of the month proportionately.

Then they ****ed up and I rang them they said I'd used 4terabytes of data. Basically for the first month, just keep track yourself and you'll be grand. They're all over the place for a while.

Ok thanks but I am still kinda confused. Shoudl I ring them as soon as possible about this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah probably not a bad idea, in the meantime though I wouldn't worry. Exact same thing happened to me.

Ok fair enough..it also says that I have until 9th January left to use my remaining texts and calls..that is basically just 2 weeks away so I can see why they have said I have used half of the available texts and calls..Thanks for that anyway. I can sleep much easier now tonite..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

massy086 wrote: »

300 seems optimistic. hard to get a sale at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Looking for a steer on how to condense App icons. I have 10 pages of Apps but they are all over the place, i.e. 3 on one page, 6 on another or 2 or 3 full pages. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Looking for a steer on how to condense App icons. I have 10 pages of Apps but they are all over the place, i.e. 3 on one page, 6 on another or 2 or 3 full pages. Any ideas?

Look for folder organizer in the marketplace. You can categorise your apps into news, tools, entertainment, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

AntiRip wrote: »
    Look for folder organizer in the marketplace. You can categorise your apps into news, tools, entertainment, etc.

Where does one find marketplace in the Android os

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Where does one find marketplace in the Android os

Look for this in your android phone
    android-market-logo.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 eleven1

am i the only one who thinks samsung will give apple iphone a run for their money ! personally i prefer the samsung phones . the galaxy looks very classy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

massy086 wrote: »

300 seems optimistic. hard to get a sale at that price.

I sold my 7 month old one on adverts for 330 quid on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

If you have a mac, do not bother with Heimdall and do not bother with virtualization.

Either borrow a windows machine (or a linux machine) or install it fully on a partition and use Odin and it will root in seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

If you have a mac, do not bother with Heimdall and do not bother with virtualization.

Either borrow a windows machine (or a linux machine) or install it fully on a partition and use Odin and it will root in seconds.

Exactly!

Dave147 wrote: »
    I sold my 7 month old one on adverts for 330 quid on Friday.

Ya indeed, just bought a 3 month old locked to VF for €290 on adverts. Alot of people taking the piss looking for €350-€400.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lordfranto

Ok im starting to get very annoyed with my gs2, im having the auld rebooting for no reason problem! its been happening more and more, actually happened 3 times in row this morning. i can image this being even more annoying for some folks if they are waiting on important calls. so does anyone know what's causing this? and please don't suggest apps and or firmware. firstly to many folks with all different apps and carriers all over the world having this issue and im on the latest firmware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

closeline wrote: »
    Anyone??

Yes. If you can afford it, ALWAYS purchase the phone network unlocked. Then you can go with any network on a rolling 30 day contract. That's the main benefit of purchasing simfree. You are not tied to network. Forget money saved over 18/24 months. It won't be that much. The freedom is in having no contract.

Lordfranto wrote: »
    Ok im starting to get very annoyed with my gs2, im having the auld rebooting for no reason problem! its been happening more and more, actually happened 3 times in row this morning. i can image this being even more annoying for some folks if they are waiting on important calls. so does anyone know what's causing this? and please don't suggest apps and or firmware. firstly to many folks with all different apps and carriers all over the world having this issue and im on the latest firmware.

Factory data reset

Factory data reset
    Hmmm, if i have to factory reset then that means there is a problem with the gs2 and its likely to happen again and again etc. which means id prefer to give it back and get the HTC instead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Hey guys rooted and unlocked my Meteor S2 last week no problem using Chainfires S2 SIM unlock app. I rooted a Vodafone S2 today without issue but the app couldnt find the unlock code! Anyone here have any other ideas on how to unlock a Vodafone S2??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Hmmm, if i have to factory reset then that means there is a problem with the gs2 and its likely to happen again and again etc. which means id prefer to give it back and get the HTC instead!

I would have thought the contrary. If a factory data reset solves the problem then it's not a hardware problem, no?

Testament1 wrote: »
    Hey guys rooted and unlocked my Meteor S2 last week no problem using Chainfires S2 SIM unlock app. I rooted a Vodafone S2 today without issue but the app couldnt find the unlock code! Anyone here have any other ideas on how to unlock a Vodafone S2??

I think that if you access your Vodafone account you could get your unlocking code for free.

Terms and conditions apply obviously.

I'm on my Sgs2 at the moment so I can't really post the link but this is how I unlocked my SGS2 on Voda network

Factory data reset

How did you get on?

Did you actually reset your SGS2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I think that if you access your Vodafone account you could get your unlocking code for free.

I'm on my Sgs2 at the moment so I can't really post the link but this is how I unlocked my SGS2 on Voda network

Wouldnt you have to have your full contract served for that though? Long time left on this contract!

Factory data reset

How did you get on?

Did you actually reset your SGS2?
    No i didn't do it yet. and id still say its a hardware issue cos countless folks from all over got the same problem and many have factory reset it generally seems to work for a bit then the problem restarts. so its either hardware or a Samsung base software issue!

• Advertisement

Wouldnt you have to have your full contract served for that though? Long time left on this contract!

PAYG in my case

PAYG in my case

Have a look here
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1092451

You may find an answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Try again? Because i just unlocked a Vodafone S2 a few days ago using CF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Download an app called Galaxy_S Unlock by Helroz, it's in the market. Follow the instructions in the app for unlocking the s2 and away you go, it's worked on every phone I've tried it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Download an app called Galaxy_S Unlock by Helroz, it's in the market. Follow the instructions in the app for unlocking the s2 and away you go, it's worked on every phone I've tried it on.

+1
    This worked for me also. Mine was on EMobile.

• Advertisement

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    +1
    This worked for me also. Mine was on EMobile.

So are these phones rooted or just standard setup? Just download an app and its unlocked, that's very handy.

So are these phones rooted or just standard setup? Just download an app and its unlocked, that's very handy.

You have to root them first. Then download the app .Couple of clicks later and it's unlocking your phone.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Hi Guys
    Sorry for the newb question, but what is the easiest and best way to root an S2?

nellocono wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    Sorry for the newb question, but what is the easiest and best way to root an S2?

This is the method I used:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1182922

nellocono wrote: »
    Hi Guys

The easiest way

http://www.multiupload.com/VGCN3ZTFM8

http://shortfuse.org/?page_id=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuaXu8kusvA&feature=player_embedded#!

Zagato wrote: »

I would have thought the contrary. If a factory data reset solves the problem then it's not a hardware problem, no?
    Just talking to a friend who has a galaxy ace, he's having the same problem also check the web it seems to a be a prob on all new model Samsungs, i hope if there is a problem Samsung will man up and admit it and do a recall and repair i doubt it tho. oh well looks like I've been sold a lame duck, i had folks warn me about Samsung but i didnt listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Hey all, I got a friend's S2 here with me. It's stuck on a boot loop after what looks like a failed/interrupted update. The phone is not rooted/modded.

Reflashing would be no problem but she wants to get as much data off as possible. Kies or the computer doesn't see the phone/drive and there is no memory card.

Any ideas on how to get the data off the phone before reflashing?

If the phone is not rooted yet the first thing I would recommend is to
    unistall kies/reinstall drivers

http://www.samsung.com/ie/support/detail/supportPrdDetail.do?menu=SIA00201&prd_ia_cd=1903&prd_mdl_cd=GT-I9000HKAVDI&prd_mdl_name=GT-I9000&srchword=GT-I9000

first thing is to establish connection between phone/computer

Once this this done you can run emergency firmware recovery providing
    your device is not rooted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Is there any idiots guide to the changes that come about from changing kernel's and roms? Or a list of what they do?

Finally bit the bullet and rooted & unlocked my phone last night, so now I'm considering further mods to improve it if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

topdog, if i were you i would browse through xda developers. lots of good info and likes to all the ROMs.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1055

I found http://www.galaxys2roms.com/ which seems to have a good bit of info on it.

EDIT:... Oh and topdog... i wouldn't recommend anyone that needs an "idiots guide" at ROM'ing their phone to do anything like that :)
    Though i just upgraded to Android 4.0.2 i think there, and it was installed perfectly. need to know what to do when it doesnt work :)

Did anyone try the 4.0 ROM for SGS2 yet ? i just put it on tonight and not very impressed. Has a few buggy bits with force closing. my SMS Backup + restore doesnt appear to have worked. Liked their new facetime screen saver unlock thing (when the phone is locked, press anywhere and the camera will come on, and if it recognises you it will unlock, else will give you the pattern or pin that you chose)
    ... but thats about it.
    Think i am going to format it back to a more stable ROM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I'm grand at following instructions, but with such a selection of things I'd like to know what exactly does what. I'm seeing all these abbreviations being chucked about the place, but haven't yet come across a simple FAQ that explains what things do. Have been browsing the XDA Developers forum already (thats where I got the CF Root from). With talk of Radios, Modems, etc its a lot to have to digest. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

samhail wrote: »
    Did anyone try the 4.0 ROM for SGS2 yet ? i just put it on tonight and not very impressed. Has a few buggy bits with force closing. my SMS Backup + restore doesnt appear to have worked. Liked their new facetime screen saver unlock thing (when the phone is locked, press anywhere and the camera will come on, and if it recognises you it will unlock, else will give you the pattern or pin that you chose)
    ... but thats about it.
    Think i am going to format it back to a more stable ROM

Its still an alpha rom. Its not at a stage to be impressed or not yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Top Dog wrote: »
    I'm grand at following instructions, but with such a selection of things I'd like to know what exactly does what. I'm seeing all these abbreviations being chucked about the place, but haven't yet come across a simple FAQ that explains what things do. Have been browsing the XDA Developers forum already (thats where I got the CF Root from). With talk of Radios, Modems, etc its a lot to have to digest. ;)

http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-update-samsung-galaxy-s2-ics-android-4-0-1-xxkp2-40843/

Thats the tutorial that i used, which basically has everything that you need. literally in a zip file :) ODIN and all.

just need to get the right files to patch your phone with. i woudnt use that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Galaxy S2 receives Android 4.0 (ICS) via Kies

http://www.dailymobile.se/2012/01/02/samsung-galaxy-s2-receives-android-4-0-ics-via-kies/

Anyone try this yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Cazale wrote: »
    Galaxy S2 receives Android 4.0 (ICS) via Kies

http://www.dailymobile.se/2012/01/02/samsung-galaxy-s2-receives-android-4-0-ics-via-kies/

Anyone try this yet?
    Not official releases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

I would reckon we are all better off waiting for a more stable release of ICS. Anything thats out there at the moment is very buggy and the developers are working hard to get there. We should see something decent very soon though I reckon. CM9 look to be the first that will get there so we'll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

If the phone is not rooted yet the first thing I would recommend is to
    unistall kies/reinstall drivers

http://www.samsung.com/ie/support/detail/supportPrdDetail.do?menu=SIA00201&prd_ia_cd=1903&prd_mdl_cd=GT-I9000HKAVDI&prd_mdl_name=GT-I9000&srchword=GT-I9000

first thing is to establish connection between phone/computer

Once this this done you can run emergency firmware recovery providing
    your device is not rooted.

After Kies/Drivers reinstall it still doesn't see the device. Thought the USB cable would provide enough power to access the device? I have tried two different cables. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Updated Samsung Kies this morning and the software no longer picks up the phone when I connect it. I tried reinstalling the software with no luck, any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I used 4.03 earlier for a couple of hours and I didn't see any huge differences to it to be honest. I don't know what all the fuss is about. I doubt the official release is going to be much different.

Advertisement