Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

After Kies/Drivers reinstall it still doesn't see the device. Thought the USB cable would provide enough power to access the device? I have tried two different cables. :confused:
    Dempsey wrote: »
    Updated Samsung Kies this morning and the software no longer picks up the phone when I connect it. I tried reinstalling the software with no luck, any ideas?

Well I guess you can see why everyone hates Kies, it doesn't work most of the time, and when it does work it's incredibly slow.

Either try different PCs with Kies installed, or use Odin instead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

I have SGS2 and haven't upgraded it or modded it since I got it 4 or 5 few months ago. I'm on Android 2.3.3.

If I upgrade through Kies do I need to wipe beforehand? Is it better that I do?

I can't be bothered wiping it really and it's working fairly well for me as is so I think I'll only upgrade if I don't have to wipe.

Also, what's the latest version available through Kies (Meteor)?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Zagato wrote: »
    Well I guess you can see why everyone hates Kies, it doesn't work most of the time, and when it does work it's incredibly slow.

Either try different PCs with Kies installed, or use Odin instead

My 1st problem with Kies and I've got it going again after a bit of mucking about with USB ports and drivers.

Whats Odin?

Flashing software, with a less pretty UI, but always works, and normally takes less than 10secs to flash an update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Flashing software, with a less pretty UI, but always works, and normally takes less than 10secs to flash an update

Bar updating the firmware via kies, i know nothing about rooting smart phones :o

• Advertisement

Yes, I agree, it's preferable if the software they supply just works, it's just that it doesn't seem to for a lot of people -although Kies 2 does seem to be a bit better.

You don't have to root to use Odin, but you can

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭briN_s

Lordfranto wrote: »
    Ok im starting to get very annoyed with my gs2, im having the auld rebooting for no reason problem! its been happening more and more, actually happened 3 times in row this morning. i can image this being even more annoying for some folks if they are waiting on important calls. so does anyone know what's causing this? and please don't suggest apps and or firmware. firstly to many folks with all different apps and carriers all over the world having this issue and im on the latest firmware.

I had a similar issue when I got my phone first, I saw somewhere that it can be due to the sd card being a little loose. I checked the card, it seemed fine, i took it out just in case, gave it a wipe on my sleeve, put it back in, and the phone hasnt reset since. That was four months ago! Not saying it will solve your problems but seems to have worked for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I had the rebooting issue myself. I uninstalled half the apps on my SGS2 and it hasn't happened since. That was two weeks ago. Might have been the fix, might not. Will probably never know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

How easy is it to just transfer AVI files (converted to mobile resolution settings for my creative zen already) to the Galaxy S2 so you can watch them on there?

Looking to throw a few movies on if possible for a long upcoming flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

niallo24 wrote: »
    How easy is it to just transfer AVI files (converted to mobile resolution settings for my creative zen already) to the Galaxy S2 so you can watch them on there?

Looking to throw a few movies on if possible for a long upcoming flight.

Easy.. plug in the usb cable and drag n drop.. Depending on the file type you may need to install another video player, i use Mobo player its free on the market.

• Advertisement

gbob wrote: »
    Easy.. plug in the usb cable and drag n drop.. Depending on the file type you may need to install another video player, i use Mobo player its free on the market.

Good stuff. Any particular folder to put it into?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

niallo24 wrote: »
    Good stuff. Any particular folder to put it into?

Well downloaded movies are automatically saved to the 'download' folder, so that's where i usually put ones I've transferred from the pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I'm looking for a usb charger another plug charger and a spare battery with charger for that and new cover and screen protector? I looked on amazon but looked steep .. anyone know any other sites that sell these items in europe preferably ..

Thanks

LizardKing wrote: »
    I'm looking for a usb charger another plug charger and a spare battery with charger for that and new cover and screen protector? I looked on amazon but looked steep .. anyone know any other sites that sell these items in europe preferably ..

Thanks

eBay is good for all that. Got 2 spare batteries and an external charger for about 15 quid from Hong Kong.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lordfranto

briN_s wrote: »
    Ok im starting to get very annoyed with my gs2, im having the auld rebooting for no reason problem! its been happening more and more, actually happened 3 times in row this morning. i can image this being even more annoying for some folks if they are waiting on important calls. so does anyone know what's causing this? and please don't suggest apps and or firmware. firstly to many folks with all different apps and carriers all over the world having this issue and im on the latest firmware.

I had a similar issue when I got my phone first, I saw somewhere that it can be due to the sd card being a little loose. I checked the card, it seemed fine, i took it out just in case, gave it a wipe on my sleeve, put it back in, and the phone hasnt reset since. That was four months ago! Not saying it will solve your problems but seems to have worked for me.
    Ill try to that but if that is the problem it is a fault and should be rectified by Samsung!

I had the rebooting issue myself. I uninstalled half the apps on my SGS2 and it hasn't happened since. That was two weeks ago. Might have been the fix, might not. Will probably never know :)
    Again if that's the fix its a case of Samsung give me my money back, cos i don't want a 16gb phone with a 32gb memory that can only handle a set number of apps before it begins to malfunction. U shouldn't have to delete half your apps! if everyone who had this issue stopped trying to make excuses and kinda fix it and instead returned the phone for repair how long do u think it would take Samsung to man up admit a problem and then fix it? btw im not being ungrateful for peoples input im just saying that we should all maybe man up and admit our shiney new super phones have got serious flaws and need to be fixed by Samsung or replaced with shiney new htc's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Can anyone who has gone from a Samsung Galaxy S to the Samsung Galaxy S II let me know how it compares?

My S is great but it do find it a bit laggy some times. I did to the oneclicklagfix and it did improve things but it will be slow sometimes.
    Accessign texts and the buttons don't react.
    Pinch zoom in and out on the browser (especially if it's on a pciture) can just grind to a halt.
    And apps just crashing.

Anyone any thoughts?

thanks

mathie wrote: »
    Can anyone who has gone from a Samsung Galaxy S to the Samsung Galaxy S II let me know how it compares?

My S is great but it do find it a bit laggy some times. I did to the oneclicklagfix and it did improve things but it will be slow sometimes.
    Accessign texts and the buttons don't react.
    Pinch zoom in and out on the browser (especially if it's on a pciture) can just grind to a halt.
    And apps just crashing.

Anyone any thoughts?

thanks
    All the things you just mentioned are not an issue at all on the gs2, its fast and slick. but read my posts above it has other serious issues. look at the HTC sensation xl as an alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

All the things you just mentioned are not an issue at all on the gs2, its fast and slick. but read my posts above it has other serious issues. look at the HTC sensation xl as an alternative.

Thanks!

If I go from the GS2 to the HTC Sensation XL will I be able to use all the apps I downloaded for my GS2?

Is it all linked in to my google account?

thanks

Thanks!

If I go from the GS2 to the HTC Sensation XL will I be able to use all the apps I downloaded for my GS2?

thanks
    Yeah should all be linked to ur Google account u can back em up and put em on the HTC or just redownload em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Thanks!

If I go from the GS2 to the HTC Sensation XL will I be able to use all the apps I downloade
    d for my GS2?

thanks
    Yeah should all be linked to ur Google account u can back em up and put em on the HTC or just redownload em.

Have been using my GS2 for a few months now without any problems. Have had the odd app crash on a couple of occasions but I assume this is down to the third party app rather than the phone, no reboot problems or anything like that. Loving the phone, was using someones galaxy mini today and it really made me appreciate the speed of the GS2

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JR79

Hi,

Have my gs2 for 2 months now all working fine until 2 days ago, search engine wont work all I get is "please check your network connectivity"
    I can access the market, and apps like RTE news, ebay works fine.

Any ideas thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Greetings y'all,

The Samsung Galaxy S2 is great. I haven't had any rebooting problems with mine. Although those problems seem to be coming from the memory cards and I don't have one.

I am having a problem with the internet browsers though. I tend to open several windows at once, following links on Twitter for example and leave them to read later. This is fine until I come back to the browser and find it has closed and all my precious articles are gone. This fecking wrecks my head!

I previously had an N95 which was a piece of sh*t compared to the S2. Yet, I could open 12 windows in UC Browser on my N95 and the browser would stay open for as long as the phone was switched on (the occasional crash aside).

This is a pretty pathetic and major flaw with the S2 in my opinion.

I've tried this with the default browser and also with Firefox too. I'll experiment with UC Browser and Opera too and deer how I get on. Has anyone else with similar browsing habits had the same problem and found a solution?

Many thanks,

Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I've tried this with the default browser and also with Firefox too. I'll experiment with UC Browser and Opera too and deer how I get on. Has anyone else with similar browsing habits had the same problem and found a solution?
    Are you actually exiting the browser (and possibly clearing cache/history) or are you pressing the home button?

I'm using the Dolphin browser most of the time, have it set that if I exit it clears everything, but if I press the home button and return later then everything I had open would still be there. Haven't tried it with more than 4 tabs though.

Top Dog wrote: »
    Are you actually exiting the browser (and possibly clearing cache/history) or are you pressing the home button?

I'm using the Dolphin browser most of the time, have it set that if I exit it clears everything, but if I press the home button and return later then everything I had open would still be there. Haven't tried it with more than 4 tabs though.

If the phone decides it needs the memory though, it will still exit the browser if it is using RAM in the background.

As a solution, what about one of those read it later apps? Don't use one, but isn't that the idea, that they cache pages, and then you can read them later when you have a few mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

No, I'm not exiting by possessing the back key or anything. I'm either pressing 'home' or holding 'home' and opening another app such as twitter.

UC Browser was great on the N95 but isn't great on this. I'll try Dolphin I guess.

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

If the phone decides it needs the memory though, it will still exit the browser if it is using RAM in the background.
    Didn't realise that.

Sure still might be worth trying for the lad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Greetings y'all,

The Samsung Galaxy S2 is great. I haven't had any rebooting problems with mine. Although those problems seem to be coming from the memory cards and I don't have one.

I am having a problem with the internet browsers though. I tend to open several windows at once, following links on Twitter for example and leave them to read later. This is fine until I come back to the browser and find it has closed and all my precious articles are gone. This fecking wrecks my head!

I previously had an N95 which was a piece of sh*t compared to the S2. Yet, I could open 12 windows in UC Browser on my N95 and the browser would stay open for as long as the phone was switched on (the occasional crash aside).

This is a pretty pathetic and major flaw with the S2 in my opinion.

Many thanks,

Alan

There's an add on for firefox mobile called reading list.
    It saves pages for later reading.

It might help you out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

JR79 wrote: »
    Hi,

Have my gs2 for 2 months now all working fine until 2 days ago, search engine wont work all I get is "please check your network connectivity"
    I can access the market, and apps like RTE news, ebay works fine.

Any ideas thanks

I have the very same issue its very annoying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Anyone know how to get rid of the screensaver, ive been looking for ages and cant seem to find the solution :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Alan70

no lock from market

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Lads, if I root my phone can I revert back to what it was before? Tempted to give it a try but not sure whats the best out there, the downsides and the risks involved :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Sully wrote: »
    Lads, if I root my phone can I revert back to what it was before? Tempted to give it a try but not sure whats the best out there, the downsides and the risks involved :)

It`s a big step, but your best off picking something and seeing if it works for you, you can always go back to where you started....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Sully wrote: »

I believe SuperOneClick allows you to do that. I use it on all my [Samsung] phones.
    I've also put Darky HD on my 2. Superb is all I can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

I believe SuperOneClick allows you to do that. I use it on all my [Samsung] phones.
    I've also put Darky HD on my 2. Superb is all I can say.

RangeR - Is there a guide anywhere that I can use to get this ROM on my SGS2. I am having some issues with my stock SGS2 lately and I would like to upgrade the ROM as it may help but never done so before.

• Advertisement

nellocono wrote: »
    RangeR - Is there a guide anywhere that I can use to get this ROM on my SGS2. I am having some issues with my stock SGS2 lately and I would like to upgrade the ROM as it may help but never done so before.

Go here. Obligatory : I don't take any responsability for you fooking your device etc... However, It's just superb. It feels like a different [better - Is that even possible. Yes it is :)] device.

Edit : I believe it will also root your phone in the same process.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rommy

Is this darky rom better than cyanogen mod 7? im loving cm7 but is the first rom ive flashed.

rommy wrote: »
    Is this darky rom better than cyanogen mod 7? im loving cm7 but is the first rom ive flashed.

Nope, CM I think is better.

Ok thanks the other rom i was gona try is called miui is that better than cm7?

Ok thanks the other rom i was gona try is called miui is that better than cm7?

Nope, if you like the Iphone look and feel then go for it.

You may like them, you'll just have to pick one and see...

• Advertisement

You know what ill just stay with cm7 as ive had no problems with it so if it aint broke as the old saying goes...........:)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

You'll never know 'till you try!I've tried CM 9,Darkys ,& Checkrom.That's the beauty of android.Checkrom is my favorite.

I prefer Darky as it's based on Samsung ROM. It contains the Samsung apps, most notably, AllShare and the Camera apps. I hate the stock camera app and use AllShare on a near daily basis.

CM is based on ASOP to work on as many types of hardware possible. I use that on my SGE and it's cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭squareboy007

Just got by MHL adaptor in the post this morning.

Plugged it into S2 and TV via HD Cable and also had MHL adaptor powered from mains.

The TV indicates its getting a signal and when i play a movie/music there is no sound coming from the phone speakers.

However, there is also no sound coming from the TV and the screen is black with an occasional flicker of something in the bottom left.

any ideas/tips/tricks?

Plugged it into S2 and TV via HD Cable and also had MHL adaptor powered from mains.

The TV indicates its getting a signal and when i play a movie/music there is no sound coming from the phone speakers.

However, there is also no sound coming from the TV and the screen is black with an occasional flicker of something in the bottom left.

any ideas/tips/tricks?

Simplest suggestion first!

Have you made sure that the media volume is turned on ur up high enough to hear a sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭squareboy007

marcbrophy wrote: »

any ideas/tips/tricks?

Simplest suggestion first!

Have you made sure that the media volume is turned on ur up high enough to hear a sound?

Yes it was because when i plugged out the Mhl adaptor the sound played from the phone speakers

Yes it was because when i plugged out the Mhl adaptor the sound played from the phone speakers

If it's anything like when you connect a bluetooth device, you will have a seperate volume control for MHL connections, that will only appear when an MHL connection is active.
    For instance, I use bluetooth in the car, and before it connects it's called media volume, but when it's connected it's called media via bluetooth volume, and has a different volume control slider, that's independant of the regular one.

What I'm saying is, try change the volume on the device with the cable connected! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Just got this today but having a problem connecting to my home wifi....i typed the password and it then says, connecting,authenticating and then disconnected any ideas how to fix this?

markc91 wrote: »
    Just got this today but having a problem connecting to my home wifi....i typed the password and it then says, connecting,authenticating and then disconnected any ideas how to fix this?

Get Wifinder from the market, it helped me when I first got my phone.

I couldn't connect in the phones wifi settings, got Wifinder and connected through it.

markc91 wrote: »

More than likely, you put in the wrong password. It's a fiddly, small, keyboard.
    Click "Show Password" to confirm. Password is case sensitive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement