Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

RangeR wrote: »
    More than likely, you put in the wrong password. It's a fiddly, small, keyboard.
    Click "Show Password" to confirm. Password is case sensitive.
    I've tried multiple times using upper case and lower case it shows up sometimes at the top of the screen but darked out and then disconnects again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

markc91 wrote: »
    More than likely, you put in the wrong password. It's a fiddly, small, keyboard.
    Click "Show Password" to confirm. Password is case sensitive.
    I've tried multiple times using upper case and lower case it shows up sometimes at the top of the screen but darked out and then disconnects again?

Did you try that app?

Check your router for the password, unless you've changed it.

lewis wrote: »
    Did you try that app?

Check your router for the password, unless you've changed it.
    Yea tryed the app it just says password is wrong even though this laptop is connected to it and my brother connected his phone to it earlier no problem :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Seriously? You're just guessing that your password is upper or lower case. Enter your password. Don't guess it. It could be a mixture of case.

If you are not sure of the password, change it on your router/AP.

Its all upper case with a upc modem the password is ******** everything is connected to it laptops ipod touchs xboxes everything but the phone

the password is...

***Facepalm***

< \ >

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

***Facepalm***

< \ >

Bigger facepalm needed
    4fc588a23c8affc61c96188c76397e80

Try putting it in Airplane mode for a few seconds.

If you see multiple routers, you sure you have the right one.

BTW, delete your password from here, we don't need to know.

still no luck lads :(

• Advertisement

still no luck lads :(

Only other thing would be to try a friends router and see.

Or you could put your phones ip in a dmz in your router... If it has that option?

Only other thing would be to try a friends router and see.

Or you could put your phones ip in a dmz in your router... If it has that option?
    how would i do that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Sometimes I have had a conflict with other devices connected to the router. This should not happen as the router should assign an unused local IP address though it's DHCP but it has happened to me. Try disabling any devices connected to your wifi (Laptop, PS3/Xbox, media player etc) and reconnecting. If it connects then try reconnecting the other devices. (I have also had the reverse where toe phone could connect but my internet access on my laptop went. As soon as the router assigned another address to the phone I was grand). If this works then if it happens again (It did a few times with my previous netgear router) then you can just try resetting the router altogether. Every device should then reconnect and the phone should request another address)

how would i do that ?

Look for DMZ in your router settings page, put in your phones IP, save it, then try to connect.

I've had to do it for my Ps3.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭squareboy007

marcbrophy wrote: »
    If it's anything like when you connect a bluetooth device, you will have a seperate volume control for MHL connections, that will only appear when an MHL connection is active.
    For instance, I use bluetooth in the car, and before it connects it's called media volume, but when it's connected it's called media via bluetooth volume, and has a different volume control slider, that's independant of the regular one.

What I'm saying is, try change the volume on the device with the cable connected! :D

When other people plug the MHL adaptor into the phone and turn to the correct channel, does the display automatically transfer to the tv? or are there further steps required?

Has anyone else had a black screen on the tv when connected to the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

When other people plug the MHL adaptor into the phone and turn to the correct channel, does the display automatically transfer to the tv? or are there further steps required?

Has anyone else had a black screen on the tv when connected to the phone?

do you have the charger plugged into the MHL adapter?

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    do you have the charger plugged into the MHL adapter?

Have charger plugged into adaptor. This is working as the phone is showing as charging.

No picture on TV, no sound from TV. When play video/music on phone when connected there is no sound from phone either only picture.

Should the tv screen automatically change or do I need to do something else on phone.

As in if the phone should project automatically, should I be looking at getting a replacement adaptor?

Thanks for that.

"the content on the screen is automatically mirrored on the HDTV"

Mine defo isn't working so. now to figure out is it the adaptor or the phone. I have done some googling in the past few minutes and alot of people with problems have suggested resetting my phone.

What does this involve and won't I lose the contents of my phone doing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

You can do a reset in Settings >> Privacy >> Factory Data Reset.

You will lose contacts (unless synced with gmail -which they should be anyway), text messages, call log, wifi settings and email account settings, as well as all your apps.

You can back up most of this stuff using Titanium backup (this requires root access)

If you don't have root access, backup applications using 'App List Backup' (from android market) - saves links to the apps in the market; and 'sms backup and restore' - for text messages. And as I said above have all your contacts on gmail (or an exchange account which is what I do)

You should not lose media, i.e music, photos, videos as they are stored on the internal or external sd of your phone

Thanks for that.
    You are more than welcome
    have suggested resetting my phone.

What does this involve
    Menu -> Settings -> Privacy -> Factory data Reset
    ]and won't I lose the contents of my phone doing this?
    Yes. It's not as painful as on pre smartphone... phones. All of your contacts, emails etc are stored on Google servers. Your applications will be restored automatically, if you have enabled this feature.

I use a lovely app called CallTrack to backup my phone call log. It inserts a calendar entry into a specified google calendar. Priceless.

I don't bother backing up my SMS's.
    You *MAY* will also lose any app data but I think Google backs this up for you too.

My pain of Factory Resets, however, is mitigated as I have my phone rooted. I then use Titanium Backup Pro to make regular backups of my entire [non system] phone. I never second guess a factory reset anymore. I just do it, then restore all my apps and data. Whole process takes about 30 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Have charger plugged into adaptor. This is working as the phone is showing as charging.

No picture on TV, no sound from TV. When play video/music on phone when connected there is no sound from phone either only picture.

Should the tv screen automatically change or do I need to do something else on phone.

As in if the phone should project automatically, should I be looking at getting a replacement adaptor?

sorry for the stupid qns but have you definately selected the hdmi input on the tv yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 summer_chic

I got one yesterday from CPW , and will have to bring it back tomorrow as the camera isn't working at all. My question is that I heard it ships with an 8g sd card - is this correct ? the girl in CPW took the 4g one out of my old phone and put it into my phone to set it up. That's what i have now, not an 8g one . this doesn't seem right to me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

As far as I know (and I'm open to correction) the SII doesn't ship with any memory card - its all internal. At least thats how mine came, and the one a friend got on a different network.

I got one yesterday from CPW , and will have to bring it back tomorrow as the camera isn't working at all. My question is that I heard it ships with an 8g sd card - is this correct ? the girl in CPW took the 4g one out of my old phone and put it into my phone to set it up. That's what i have now, not an 8g one . this doesn't seem right to me...

Ships with 16gb onboard. No SD card

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

For the last couple of weeks my phone has taken it upon itself to reboot whenever it feels like it. It's entirely random, it often happens when I haven't touched anything and there's no apps open. It's very annoying, although it's not causing any loss of data on the phone or anything, which is good. I'm running v2.3.5, and I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 summer_chic

thats great thanks ! Just a question about the 16g on board - she mentioned that too, but in the task manager the storeage breakdown is :
    1.97gb system storeage, 11.5 gb USB storeage and the SD card. I assumed the usb storeage was external also.. I'm new to this !! Pleased so far, but can't really play with it as it has to go back tomorrow given the issues with the camera..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Zaph, i had a similar problem. Turns out my battery was slightly loose. I've jammed a little piece of cardboard to firm the contacts to the battery and haven't had any problems since. Worth checking out.

Edit: Btw, it was completely random. I don't ever remember dropping my SGS2 either.

Otherwise maybe its an app you've recently installed?

thats great thanks ! Just a question about the 16g on board - she mentioned that too, but in the task manager the storeage breakdown is :
    1.97gb system storeage, 11.5 gb USB storeage and the SD card. I assumed the usb storeage was external also.. I'm new to this !! Pleased so far, but can't really play with it as it has to go back tomorrow given the issues with the camera..
    Its divided up into just over 2gb for internal memory, a bit over 12 for USB storage and then the system rom takes up about 600mb I think. You can add a microsc card which just gets read as a seperate SD card

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

Top Dog wrote: »
    As far as I know (and I'm open to correction) the SII doesn't ship with any memory card - its all internal. At least thats how mine came, and the one a friend got on a different network.

Yeah you're right.It's an internal 16 gig SD built in..They call an SD and this confuses some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Zaph wrote: »
    For the last couple of weeks my phone has taken it upon itself to reboot whenever it feels like it. It's entirely random, it often happens when I haven't touched anything and there's no apps open. It's very annoying, although it's not causing any loss of data on the phone or anything, which is good. I'm running v2.3.5, and I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues?

This happened to me in the last month or so. It would just randomly restart itself. The phone eventually would not boot at all and was stuck on an endless loop of the start-up screens. Had to put it into recovery mode and factory reset it to get it working again :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Zaph, i had a similar problem. Turns out my battery was slightly loose. I've jammed a little piece of cardboard to firm the contacts to the battery and haven't had any problems since. Worth checking out.

Edit: Btw, it was completely random. I don't ever remember dropping my SGS2 either.

Otherwise maybe its an app you've recently installed?

There was one app that I thought might have been causing the problem, but it didn't go away after I uninstalled it. Never thought about the battery, I'll try that and see if it works. Thanks.
    Cazale wrote: »
    This happened to me in the last month or so. It would just randomly restart itself. The phone eventually would not boot at all and was stuck on an endless loop of the start-up screens. Had to put it into recovery mode and factory reset it to get it working again :mad:

Hopefully it's not that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

How old is your TV? I've TV something like 4+ years old with HDMI and it doesn't work. Tested on a newer TV - works like a charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

This has been happening to me quite a bit. I thought it was after i moved to Checkrom but after reading the last few posts it could be the battery problem for me too. I have a spare battery that I carry in my wallet so there is a good bit of tinkering with the batteries and receptors so may have to do the card trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lordfranto

This has been happening to me quite a bit. I thought it was after i moved to Checkrom but after reading the last few posts it could be the battery problem for me too. I have a spare battery that I carry in my wallet so there is a good bit of tinkering with the batteries and receptors so may have to do the card trick.
    Hi i seriously doubt its a battery problem, i had the same problem tried everything nothing worked till i deleted a pile of apps. i know at least 3 others who had the same problem and only deleting apps worked. so it would appear that Samsung sold us a phone with a ton of memory that id uses causes the phone to reboot itself constantly bummer huh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Lordfranto wrote: »
    Hi i seriously doubt its a battery problem, i had the same problem tried everything nothing worked till i deleted a pile of apps. i know at least 3 others who had the same problem and only deleting apps worked. so it would appear that Samsung sold us a phone with a ton of memory that id uses causes the phone to reboot itself constantly bummer huh!

I don't know about that!
    How many apps do you have on your device?
    I have 81 installed from the market and at least 10 or more that were side-loaded.
    I can honestly say that I've never had one random reboot since I got the phone at the start of August.

I am on a custom ROM, so maybe the default firmware is dodgy, for lack of a better word!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lordfranto

marcbrophy wrote: »

I don't know about that!
    How many apps do you have on your device?
    I have 81 installed from the market and at least 10 or more that were side-loaded.
    I can honestly say that I've never had one random reboot since I got the phone at the start of August.

I am on a custom ROM, so maybe the default firmware is dodgy, for lack of a better word!
    Yeah its possible either hardware or software, im rooted too just an insecure kernel not a custom Rom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Yeah its possible either hardware or software, im rooted too just an insecure kernel not a custom Rom

There's definitely something gone wrong, I don't doubt that :D

Maybe it's one particular app causing this trouble!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I had the problem and it was cracking me up. Decided to do a full wipe and reinstall a different ROM etc but got sidetracked and had to put it off a week and guess what? Not a single re-set since. Still on the same ROM, same kernel etc and haven't deleted any apps that I can think of.

I'd almost prefer if an app was the confirmed source of the problem. Nor I'm in limbo just waiting for it to start happening again :eek:

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I've had no reboots since I installed CheckROM and DarkKnight, although it has frozen about twice in the month. Have over 200 apps installed, even more than when I was stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Anyone else get RUBBISH battery life playing music? I'm talking about draining 10-15% an hour playing music from the internet memory with WinAmp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Cossax wrote: »
    Anyone else get RUBBISH battery life playing music? I'm talking about draining 10-15% an hour playing music from the internet memory with WinAmp.
    Had mine on yesterday for about an hour when out walking the dogs - 20mins FM Radio, 40mins factory music player - used 7% of the battery for it at probably just below half volume.

Top Dog wrote: »
    Had mine on yesterday for about an hour when out walking the dogs - 20mins FM Radio, 40mins factory music player - used 7% of the battery for it at probably just below half volume.

Seems a little better today, was at work so was on my data connection with the KI4 modem (which doesn't seem to work too well for me, battery wise) so changed to KI3 and the results are promising. 2 hours of WinAmp has used a little over 9% of my battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Seems a little better today, was at work so was on my data connection with the KI4 modem (which doesn't seem to work too well for me, battery wise) so changed to KI3 and the results are promising. 2 hours of WinAmp has used a little over 9% of my battery.

Just to clarify, are you streaming the music?

Because obviously that's going to use a lot more battery than FM Radio or playing from phone/sd memory.

As you point out the modem may improve your signal and therefore battery consumption. I'm on Vodafone and find KI4 better than KI3, but that may be location dependent too

No, it's local music but I think the KI4 modem used more battery when on the data connection than the KI3 modem so when you put that and the music playing together it might explain the quick draining battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

No, it's local music but I think the KI4 modem used more battery when on the data connection than the KI3 modem so when you put that and the music playing together it might explain the quick draining battery.

Even more confused now! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

...internet memory...

What??

Ardent wrote: »
    What??

It's linked to the flux capacitors, near the comjobulator assembly, located in Peters jacks...

It's linked to the flux capacitors, near the comjobulator assembly, located in Peters jacks...

Needs 1.21 jiggawatts for a steady stream though

I really should re-read my posts before posting, Jebus!

I meant internal. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Just got this from Amazon - gives you an extra 250 mAh over the standard Samsung battery - seems great so far:

Anker 1900mAh Li-ion Battery for Samsung Galaxy S II Galaxy S2.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-1900mAh-Battery-GT-I9100-EB-F1A2GBU/dp/B00567Y7A6

Also waiting for this Lexar 32 GB MicroSDHC with USB reader, it's good value (not the cheapest, but a good price with a reliable brand) €51.99

http://www.expansys.ie/lexar-32gb-microsdhc-high-speed-card-with-reader-class-10-208567/

• Advertisement
Advertisement