Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Sitec wrote: »
    After spending the whole day learning to root my phone I still have the same problems.

The volume for music is limited.

The Apps such as RTE, Boards etc are still there and can't be deleted. Anyone help with these matters?

Running CheckRom RevoHD V4

You need to use an app to lift the limit on the volume.
    Not sure what the app is called.

You need to use Titanium Backup to remove apps that you don't want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

Benzino wrote: »
    Tempted to try this out, cheap too so no harm if i don't like it. Thanks!

One problem I had with it alright is that I had to trim the charger hole. The head of the micro usb charger I am using is bigger so I took the toenail clippers to it, sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

I had to trim the charger hole...

Nothing worse than having to trim you're charger hole...

lewis wrote: »
    Nothing worse than having to trim you're charger hole...

Your use of 'you're' is wrong.:p

Your use of 'you're' is wrong.:p

You're is the last thing I'd be worried about when it comes to trimming my charger hole... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Sorry, forgot that if someone else links it, I'm not allowed link it to and give my own pros and cons of it :rolleyes:

Not that, but I am contributing to the thread also and if you had seen my link you would have said you had the same case only. Although it's a very hard case, it is a very good one. Apologies for any offense.
    Paparazzo wrote:
    It's fulfilled by amazon so you're dead wrong, I got it with free shipping myself

Apologies so ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Can anyone recommend a good Hands free kit that can play through the car speakers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good Hands free kit that can play through the car speakers ?

Yes Parrot do one that holds the phone and charges it aswell. The model number escspes me though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Ok, I Currently have android 2.3.3 on my phone, not interested in Rooting it for the moment as I don't want to risk bricking it.

What benefits is there, if any, to updating the firmware to 4.0.3 which seems to be the last one released for us on here...

http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/?page=3&t=1&o=1&m=GT-I9100&r=1#modelsa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Ok, I Currently have android 2.3.3 on my phone, not interested in Rooting it for the moment as I don't want to risk bricking it.

What benefits is there, if any, to updating the firmware to 4.0.3 which seems to be the last one released for us on here...

http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/?page=3&t=1&o=1&m=GT-I9100&r=1#modelsa

You stand the same chance of bricking your phone via rooting or installing a custom ROM. At the moment, ICS for SGSII is in Alpha, Beta at best, in Samsung. I tried it in early January and went back to 2.3.6 DarkyHD as it was just too buggy.

If you are cautious, hold out for a while.

• Advertisement

RangeR wrote: »
    I got the official cradle a few weeks ago. Rock solid. No cable provided. Just the mount.

However, it's VERY good. Rock Solid. Even has a hole for Dash Cam. I guess I'll be posting obnoxious videos again, soon.

Edit : This is it. I also got the Desk Stand. Both well worth the money but neither only the car mounts comes with a charging cable.

Edit 2 : OMFG Sorry. The car mount DOES come with a car charger [fits in cigarette charger hole thingy]

Got it there today, nice peice of kit, never thought about my cover though, have to take it off every time i put the phone in the mount but its a great mount.

Got it there today, nice peice of kit, never thought about my cover though, have to take it off every time i put the phone in the mount but its a great mount.

Yes. It's a very snug fit.

RangeR wrote: »
    Yes. It's a very snug fit.

out of interest how do you take the phone out, pull out the bottom first? The mount isn't that flexible is it?

out of interest how do you take the phone out, pull out the bottom first? The mount isn't that flexible is it?

Damn no. You may break the connector. Slide it up away from the base connector. It's the only way.

oh right, after sliding the base down 'unlocking it, I didn't realise it slides up, i thought the top left edge of holder stops it. Are you talking about leaving the phone in the holder and removing it all from the mount?

I'm talking about the dock, only.
    Dock-ECRD1A2RR.jpg

ah, i was talking about the car holder mount thingy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

just seeing this thread now

dont feel like reading the 200 odd pgs to find or not find an answer to this qyery

my phone shuts down every now and then

any ideas??

ah, i was talking about the car holder mount thingy.
    Ah yes. In that case slide the bottom out. Then from the far end there is a tab. I find it easier to press this tab whike pushing the phone out through the camera hole at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I just got my new Galaxy S2 and it's class but it was turning off randomly the whole time like people said in this thread, 4 or 5 times a day. There seems to be loads of different reasons but a few people were saying on XDA developers to download this app: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.landak.loadmon&hl=en

I did and it hasn't happened since. No idea how it works or what the problem was but it's fixed for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Hey guys, I'll be joining the club this weekend, just waiting on the courier! So, for a s2 noob, any first port of calls, or thing I should do straight away. A Little bit of previous android experience with a sony x10i, looking forward to a smoother phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

Hi All.

I'm trying to set different sound alerts for texts and notifications (downloads, emails etc) but can only seem to find one setting to change notification tones, not to apply specific one for texts.

Anyone know if this can be done?

At the moment every notification sounds like a text message and pretty annoying!

I'm on original firmware btw.

Many Thanks

zuroph wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'll be joining the club this weekend, just waiting on the courier! So, for a s2 noob, any first port of calls, or thing I should do straight away. A Little bit of previous android experience with a sony x10i, looking forward to a smoother phone!

Deffo this
    This is nice
    Do you have a car?
    This may be useful

Market:
    TuneIn Pro
    Netflix
    Google Reader
    Google Music
    Barcode Scanner
    Cabbage Ultimate
    CallTrack
    Color Flashlight
    ES File Explorer
    SMS Backup+
    Steam
    Tasks N Todos Lite

IF you are feeling brave, ICS from DarkyRom or DarkyRomHD 2.3.6

If you decide to go down this route, you absolutely need to get Titanium Backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I never understood screen protectors over Gorilla glass, the stuff can withstand all scratches other than a hard dig with a Stanley knife!

For hardware I recommend
    Solar powered Bluetooth speakers: http://devotecindustries.co.uk/solar-sound-2
    HDMI cable: http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/bizlink-mhl-to-hdmi-tv-out-adapter-black-p29839.htm

Apps:
    Shazam, WhatsApp, TinyShark, AdFree, Quick Settings, Prey/ Lookout, Awesome Drop/ Dropbox, SMS Popup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Telchak

BopNiblets wrote: »
    I never understood screen protectors over Gorilla glass, the stuff can withstand all scratches other than a hard dig with a Stanley knife!

Dropped my GSII face first on the pavement at the bus stop this morning. Took a chunk out of the plastic on the side, and my phone no longer vibrates. Not even the slightest hint of a scratch on the screen :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

It's like myself, tough, but smooth and fun put your hands all over... ladies. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

BopNiblets wrote: »

For hardware I recommend
    Solar powered Bluetooth speakers: http://devotecindustries.co.uk/solar-sound-2
    HDMI cable: http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/bizlink-mhl-to-hdmi-tv-out-adapter-black-p29839.htm

Apps:
    Shazam, WhatsApp, TinyShark, AdFree, Quick Settings, Prey/ Lookout, Awesome Drop/ Dropbox, SMS Popup

Yeah, the screen is tough as nails. I now have a screen cover on mine but just 'cos it is part of a sleeve theme.

As for Shazam, stay away from it, it's some kind of magic (J/K it's awesome, deffo download). Pulse RSS reader 3G Watchdog (for monitoring your data usage) NASA app (It changes wallpaper with official NASA image of the day)

If you want to pay for apps then Tasker is great for automating things like turning on WiFi when plugged in and/or when at home; turning off sound between certain times (Handy when charging phone at night or to stop notifications while asleep etc)
    Executive Assistant is a handy widget that can display Email, Text messages, Twitter, Facebook, calendar entries etc on the one widget

ICS March
    Samsung said in November 2011 that Android 4.0 - aka Ice Cream Sandwich - will be coming to its Galaxy S II smartphone some time in 2012. It has yet to narrow that window, but industry leak merchant Eldar Murtazin has now said ICS will hit the S II in March.

Unsurprisingly, operator-tied handsets may have to wait a little longer for the upgrade, but Samsung's Kies software will begin flashing up the availability of the new OS on 1 March, Murtazin claimed in a Tweet today.

March seems to be the month for ICS updates: HTC will begin updating its smartphones that month. Sony Ericsson has always said it wouldn't update its phones to ICS before then.

Google released its ICS code to phone and tablet makers in November 2011. ®

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Thanks for the info guys! Phone went in the post today, so wont get it til monday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Any idea when temple run will be on android?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

can someone help me out please

2 things on my S2 that annoy me

Wifi. Im not to far from the router and yet I only get 2 bars out of the 4

Network coverage. Im not sure is it my imagination but I do think the network coverage is up and down alot

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Still can't update to above 2.3.3.

Been told to do it through Kies and it just doesn't want to let me.

Headshot wrote: »
    can someone help me out please

2 things on my S2 that annoy me

Wifi. Im not to far from the router and yet I only get 2 bars out of the 4

Network coverage. Im not sure is it my imagination but I do think the network coverage is up and down alot

Sounds like your on stock?

Who ever told you that should be kicked...

@ lewis. What do you mean by "stock" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Who ever told you that should be kicked...

Samsung themselves told me that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Anyone any suggestions on how to trouble-shoot the mobile network connection for data? In the past few days my phone just won't connect, and discovered yesterday that the GPS isn't working either. Haven't changed anything recently so at a bit of a loss to explain it. Wifi is still working at home (albeit very poorly) and can still call/text no problem.

Getting a bit miffed now and considering just doing a backup and trying out ICS on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-You're-and-Your

you're welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

Top Dog wrote: »
    Anyone any suggestions on how to trouble-shoot the mobile network connection for data? In the past few days my phone just won't connect, and discovered yesterday that the GPS isn't working either. Haven't changed anything recently so at a bit of a loss to explain it. Wifi is still working at home (albeit very poorly) and can still call/text no problem.

Getting a bit miffed now and considering just doing a backup and trying out ICS on it!

Are you on meteor by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Yup - its not simply a network cock-up is it?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

That's what I got last week, for about a tenner sterling on Amazon (was making the order reach the free delivery target). Works well and has a nice soft velvety kinda feel.

Had to get some screen protectors too, as I don't want anymore scratches on the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

Top Dog wrote: »
    Yup - its not simply a network cock-up is it?

http://forums.meteor.ie/t5/Internet-On-Your-Phone/Re-internet-on-Samsung-galaxy-s2/td-p/24191

post your complain here i have been complaining for months along with many other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Kies is rubbish,

Go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1075278

Ctrl+F and search (for your carrier Meteor/Vodafone/etc), it should only bring up 1 result (you should be able to compare it to what's already on your phone under -> settings -> about phone), that should be the 2.3.5 firmware, download that then go back to top of post and follow instructions on how to flash it using Odin.

Its a long 1st post, but you should prob read it to make sure you understand the process.

Headshot wrote: »
    @ lewis. What do you mean by "stock" ?

By stock I mean what comes with the phone, by "rooting" it you can make it a hell of a lot better.
    Check out XDA.com
    Samsung themselves told me that :pac:

Course they did, trust me read up a little on the "how to`s", you won`t regret it, :)

This is the thing with Android, unless your willing to put in the time to make it better, cause you can, I don`t care what anyone says, there`s no point in getting it and if you say your happy with you stock firmware, then you should buy an iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

byte wrote: »
    That's what I got last week, for about a tenner sterling on Amazon (was making the order reach the free delivery target). Works well and has a nice soft velvety kinda feel.

Had to get some screen protectors too, as I don't want anymore scratches on the screen.

They offer pretty good protection without being bulky or intrusive IMHO. I've dropped my phone a few times and the case really does its job.
    The little bridge piece by the volume rocker has broken off now, but the phone is still as new.

Anyone know what is the best ripping format for music in Kies ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Got my SGS2 today. Got it running fine. Not gonna root it just yet. But while speaking to my wife this evening, the call just dropped. Now the SGS2 wont recognise the SIM card. the card is fine and so is the network because I put it in my old Galaxy Y and can use it fine. Anyone have any ideas? I see from goggle, that this is a known issue, but no fixes are forthcoming. that's why I posted here - to see if anyone has any ideas.

BTW - I did a factorey reset too - no joy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

newbie2 wrote: »
    Got my SGS2 today. Got it running fine. Not gonna root it just yet. But while speaking to my wife this evening, the call just dropped. Now the SGS2 wont recognise the SIM card. the card is fine and so is the network because I put it in my old Galaxy Y and can use it fine. Anyone have any ideas? I see from goggle, that this is a known issue, but no fixes are forthcoming. that's why I posted here - to see if anyone has any ideas.

It doesn't sound like it's a software/firmware issue hence the factory reset did nothing. Sounds most like a contact issue with the sim card, did you buy it from one of the networks, I'd be inclined to bring it back and maybe get a new sim card put in.

Dial *#06#

A number will display on screen. Don't post it here. It should be IDENTICAL to the IMEI number under the battery [open the back cover].

If it's not, does it start with 0049 or is it empty or something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

cheers lads

tempted just to bring it back

Bought it today in an o2 store.

Dialled that number and got IMEI and then blank after it

cheers lads

tempted just to bring it back

Bought it today in an o2 store.

Dialled that number and got IMEI and then blank after it
    Phone ****ed. Bring it back asap. Nothing else you can that won't void warranty. Having said that, I've NEVER heard of this happening direct from retail. Dubious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement