Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

god's toy wrote: »
    You can just put the rom it shipped with back on and your good to go.. I have read posts of people doing that here... (unless your phones problem is it won't turn on) but anyway i would just end up getting the gs3 so if it dies then it dies.. Also I didn't root it.

Hmmmmm good point. I think I will hold tough until I get some positive feedback on ICS...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

My advice - hold off on installing ICS. Thought I'd give it another day before I try a factory reset.
    Changed my mind now - 4.5 hours and battery is already at 75% - absolutely atrocious!

Lots of complaints re battery life over on XDA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Got my S2 last week (3 upgrade), installed DarkyROM HD, all grand.

Twice now though, I go to use the phone, and it's unresponsive - as if it's dead. The first time I thought it had turned off - but holding down the power button doesn't do anything (I've also tried the Volume Down, Home, Power combo).

Possibly the phone is still on (and screen locked), and that's why the power on doesn't do anything?

The solution both times is to remove the battery and reinsert, powers back on fine then.

I'm new to the whole ROM thing - anyone know if this sounds like a hardware or software related issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

joker77 wrote: »
    Got my S2 last week (3 upgrade), installed DarkyROM HD, all grand.

Twice now though, I go to use the phone, and it's unresponsive - as if it's dead. The first time I thought it had turned off - but holding down the power button doesn't do anything (I've also tried the Volume Down, Home, Power combo).

Possibly the phone is still on (and screen locked), and that's why the power on doesn't do anything?

The solution both times is to remove the battery and reinsert, powers back on fine then.

I'm new to the whole ROM thing - anyone know if this sounds like a hardware or software related issue?

It could be that your lower limit CPU speed is too low and it's not waking up from sleep. If it was off, then the power button would switch it on, but if it's on, you have to hold the power button for 10sec or more for it to cut the power and switch off (I'd it's crashed) So mauve check what the min/max CPU settings are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

These phones seem more hassle than their worth, constantly hearing people having issues with them.

I think it's worth the few extra quid for the iPhone a bit like sky digital and UPC both pretty much do the same things but one is clearly more reliable and easier to use.

iPhone is sky obviously and the cheaper alternative is the shambles that is UPC/galaxy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

These phones seem more hassle than their worth, constantly hearing people having issues with them.

I think it's worth the few extra quid for the iPhone a bit like sky digital and UPC both pretty much do the same things but one is clearly more reliable and easier to use.

iPhone is sky obviously and the cheaper alternative is the shambles that is UPC/galaxy.
    Most people having issues are using unstable custom firmware, I'm using OFW and have never had any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

You'd be the only one on here who thinks so - the iPhone is inferior to the SGS2.

If you leave the stock rom on, there's feck all of an issue with it.
    Most of the issues people are having is when they try custom ROMs to extend the functionality of the phone beyond even that of stock Android (which is already beyond that of the iPhone).

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

That is the worst analogy ever - the SG2 is far superior to the iPhone and 100% as reliable if you don't muck around with it. If you want a severe pain in the ass try dealing with the world of jailbreaking in the iPhone world - now that's a nightmare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

That is the worst analogy ever - the SG2 is far superior to the iPhone and 100% as reliable if you don't muck around with it. If you want a severe pain in the ass try dealing with the world of jailbreaking in the iPhone world - now that's a nightmare!

Don't feed the troll.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭daveyboynire

Having both an SGS2 and an iPhone 4 I agree that if you leave them alone you will not have any problem with either. I've never had an issue with my SGS2 but then I don't root and and f*ck about with it, I leave it as its supposed to be. I did jailbreak my iPhone 4 but couldn't really see any advantage in it and battery life seemed worse so I just put it back to stock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Having both an SGS2 and an iPhone 4 I agree that if you leave them alone you will not have any problem with either. I've never had an issue with my SGS2 but then I don't root and and f*ck about with it, I leave it as its supposed to be. I did jailbreak my iPhone 4 but couldn't really see any advantage in it and battery life seemed worse so I just put it back to stock.

I don't agree with that. If you get the right Rom (a good one) it will be 100 better than stock. No junk apps (Vodafone,Samsung etc) stuck in the system folder so you can't delete them. Fantastic root apps like Titanium that backup up all you system data. My battery lasts 2-3 days now on CheckRom compared to bloated stockrom.

You couldn't see advantages of a Jailbreak on iOS, the likes of SBSettings and Activator alone! So many fantastic cydia apps and other repositories make jailbreaking essential in my opinion.

Another reason and main reason, I just LOVE messing around with different ROMs as it gives some excitement to the phone.

I'm not trolling at all but even this forum backs up my point about the galaxy being a load of trouble.

How is the galaxy miles ahead of the iPhone ? I'm curious , what can it do that the iPhone can't ....

I'm not Into this android v iPhone bullshi* , Ye I have an iPhone but I use to have an htc android and I honestly think apples apps and set up is a lot lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

I'm not trolling at all but even this forum backs up my point about the galaxy being a load of trouble.

How is the galaxy miles ahead of the iPhone ? I'm curious , what can it do that the iPhone can't ....

I'm not Into this android v iPhone bullshi* , Ye I have an iPhone but I use to have an htc android and I honestly think apples apps and set up is a lot lot better.

Yawn.....

I've been in ICS for the past few days. battery has been cat along with niggles. not as polished as GB. Its a case of waiting for mire stable releases me thinks.

Yawn.....

I've been in ICS for the past few days. battery has been cat along with niggles. not as polished as GB. Its a case of waiting for mire stable releases me thinks.

I went to ICS and back again, Samsung have made a balls of it, its horrible.

Hmm now, Live wallpaper? Themes? Customisation in general is a big one,

Themes and wallpaper are you serious ? Please don't make me laugh .

I'd pick iTunes and iCloud anyday over that, the fact you don't even have to connect your iPhone to the laptop etc to sync is great.

Also free iPhone to iPhone texts is great, I'm afraid you will have to do better than wallpapers and customisation mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I'd pick iTunes and iCloud anyday over that, the fact you don't even have to connect your iPhone to the laptop etc to sync is great.

Also free iPhone to iPhone texts is great, I'm afraid you will have to do better than wallpapers and customisation mate.
    Youre touting iCloud sync? The thing Google has had built into Android from day 1. Really?
    And iMessage? Sounds familiar although Ive called it Google Talk for the last 3.5 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

If you haven't noticed your in the android forum. I suggest you take your iphone drivel to the relevant forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I'd have the SGS2 over the iPhone, anyday. And this isn't just Android fanboi-ism.

I just find it easier to use, more intuitive.

As for iTunes? Christ, I despise that software. Absolute system hog, and converts into AAC format, which is useless to anything other than other Apple products.

I haven't rooted my SGS2 yet, simply because I'm happy with the functionality as it is. I had a HTC Hero before hand, and had it rooted within a week of getting it.

Also, on another note, where I work, we have WIFI. The only people I ever have to help to use it are Apple users, iPhones, iPads and iPods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

moving along......

the new release of ICS is working grat for me anyway. battery is amazing, usual day at the office etc, calls, surfing on wifi, yadda yadda, 8 hours later and its only dropped 10%.

have had no hangs, no restarts etc, so seems very stable for me anyway. just as bit of advice, i read before you install a new rom, its best to have a full charge battery. and after youve rebooted, shut down, take the battery out and remove sim too for at least 10 seconds or more, and then boot back up. seemed like the 3g wasnt working at first but is now.

of course, it synced all my apps from my google account, so after some tweaking, its back the way i was using it on resurrection etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

wreckless wrote: »
    moving along......

the new release of ICS is working grat for me anyway. battery is amazing, usual day at the office etc, calls, surfing on wifi, yadda yadda, 8 hours later and its only dropped 10%.

What ROM is that or are you talking about an official Samsung upgrade via Kies?

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm having a problem with my contacts. Sometimes when I get a text it doesn't display which contact sent it, instead only the number appears.

It seems that the number on the text displays +353 before it, whereas the actual number stored for the contact on google only has the 08x prefix - I think that is the problem.

Any ideas how to sort it, instead of individually adding +353 to every contacts number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

benthere,

its the official samsung release the other day for europe, installed through odin.

http://galaxys2root.com/galaxy-s2-roms/samsung-official-ota-ics-rom-root-for-galaxy-s2-gt-i9100-xxlpq/

Elessar wrote: »
    I'm having a problem with my contacts. Sometimes when I get a text it doesn't display which contact sent it, instead only the number appears.

It seems that the number on the text displays +353 before it, whereas the actual number stored for the contact on google only has the 08x prefix - I think that is the problem.

Any ideas how to sort it, instead of individually adding +353 to every contacts number?

Yep, that was happening to me. Ended up doing a wipe and a clean install of the ROM rather than installing it over the top. It has been working fine since then.

Its March 19th! I have a SIM Free SGS2..... Checked KIES and no update to ICS. I thought ICS was due today????

Its March 19th! I have a SIM Free SGS2..... Checked KIES and no update to ICS. I thought ICS was due today????

So did everyone else. Story now is starting week commencing 19th March which really could be any time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Must try harder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

@ mufcboy1999 know i shouldn't feed you but what the hell

I had the iPhone 1,2,3gs,4 and I sold my 4 and bought the galaxy s2 cause I wanted the bigger screen

the iPhone is a great piece of kit but the S2 is simply the best phone I have ever had

quite simply

iPhone is for women and fashionista's :pac:

S2 is just freedom to do with your phone as you please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Most Ice Cream Sandwich firmware bugs including the duplicate third party SMS one are fixed in the DXLP7 build:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1544487

• Advertisement

wreckless wrote: »
    its the official samsung release the other day for europe, installed through odin.[/url]

How is the official Samsung ICS working out for you Wreckless? Overall performance? Battery life? User experience??

I'm planning to stick on CheckROM V6 until the CheckROM boys have a stable ICS version out but I'd be interested in getting your initial feedback on ICS.

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

BenThere wrote: »
    How is the official Samsung ICS working out for you Wreckless? Overall performance? Battery life? User experience??

I'm planning to stick on CheckROM V6 until the CheckROM boys have a stable ICS version out but I'd be interested in getting your initial feedback on ICS.

Ben

I want to play around with ICS, but have decided against it after everyones initial reports online. I'm also going to wait until the CheckROM folks have something stable out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I have had ICS on my HP Touchpad for a few weeks now and couldn't wait for it to be available for my phone. I put the official LPQ firmware on early last week and didn't bother rooting again after I lost root. I wanted to check out the Samsung intended experience before rooting and trying other roms this week. I have been very happy with ICS on the GS2. Battery life has been better, I would previously have gotten 17 or so hours out of the the phone but I would now get around 24 hours with moderate to heavy use. Over the recent long weekend, I wasn't using the phone much and it went almost 48 hours without needing a charge.
    The phone has been very fast and stable, indeed, all of the gripes I have with it are to do with TouchWiz rather than ICS itself! I'm very happy with ICS and am looking forward to more roms becoming available.

Quick questions - roughly how long should it take to charge the S2?

Only have mine a couple of weeks, seems to take hours. Have it plugged in nearly an hour, was powered off, battery was at 33%, powered up now and only at 47%? Doesn't seem right does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

joker77 wrote: »
    Quick questions - roughly how long should it take to charge the S2?

Only have mine a couple of weeks, seems to take hours. Have it plugged in nearly an hour, was powered off, battery was at 33%, powered up now and only at 47%? Doesn't seem right does it?

What way are you charging the phone, IE, Through USB on computer, or using the wall socket?

I find charging via usb woeful at times! Almost sure that charging via the waoll socket takes 2hrs max for 100% charge.

I'm using the Samsung wall charger. It's been charging now for over an hour and a half, gone from 33% to 69%...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Is there any way to stop the S2 making a beep noise when it's fully charged? I charge mine at night sometimes and I find the noise wakes me up :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

takes 4 hours for me via wall socket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Haven't used it before but you could try Battery Charged Silencer
    Is there any way to stop the S2 making a beep noise when it's fully charged? I charge mine at night sometimes and I find the noise wakes me up :(

Haven't used it before but you could try Battery Charged Silencer

Battery charged silencer works a treat, reckon it saved my marriage!!

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Thanks! :)

• Advertisement

Jeez.....

Just put darkys on the root of my phone, and installed via cwm...

Every thing seemed to go ok........

Now after the sgs11 logo flashes on boot up, its stuck on a dark screen.....

Anyone any suggestions?

Edit, sorted....

It seems phone needs to be rebooted into the ICS version of CWM, and reinstall the zip file via it...

will give it a few days to see what I think of it, will keep you updated!

Doesn't have swype , &battery percentage doesn't show up my first major gripes^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭HHH

My phone comes up with 02 logo on startup, but the phone is unlocked & running a 3 sim. Kies is not showing the ICS update? Can anyone tell me how to update it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I'm with 3 as well and no up-date is showing for me either.

SIM free and still awaiting update via Kies which is due "week of 20th March".

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

ive a sim free, carrier logo free phone and not getting any update either

has anyone got the official ics update yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭vicM

Ghandee wrote: »
    Doesn't have swype , &battery percentage doesn't show up my first major gripes^^

Sorry is this for Darkys or the official ICS?

vicM wrote: »
    Sorry is this for Darkys or the official ICS?

Darkys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Trojan00

ive a sim free, carrier logo free phone and not getting any update either

has anyone got the official ics update yet?
    I got the update yesterday. I am on bill pay with 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Im upgrading now.

3 bill pay through Kies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement