Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

Where is the cheapest/most reliable place to buy this? I would go up the North and buy it either if it wasn't too much trouble to get it unlocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

digiman wrote: »
    Where is the cheapest/most reliable place to buy this? I would go up the North and buy it either if it wasn't too much trouble to get it unlocked.

SIM free you mean?

Not sure mate do a search on Google, certainly don't buy it here though as you'll be ripped off like everything else, purchase it up the North or in UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Bikerguy wrote: »
    u are reading my mind...:( i found that many apps are running in backround...for example

google maps + location - even with gps and wifi sharing location off
    gmail - running even with wifi off and 3g off..
    voice commands - all share and much more apps runnning and even if u force them to close they automaticly reopen in few moments...:( crap

and there are like 5 more apps running at all the time...amazing...
    i used application killer...android booster...so far d battery doctor is the one that helped me most..but it makes me sad - use thrd party apps to keep the phone running for longer.. i hope they will release the update..

the already did release 2 updates - for screen brightness issues + connectivity... and i hope the next will touch this problem...

:(
    Those apps arnt actually doing anything or eating your battery while theyre open. Theyre frozen in your RAM and will be closed if the system needs more. Theyre simply kept there so they can open faster if needed.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    SIM free you mean?

Not sure mate do a search on Google, certainly don't buy it here though as you'll be ripped off like everything else, purchase it up the North or in UK.

Well it doesn't necessarily have to be sim free if they are easy enough to unlock. I seen one on pay as you go on three.co.uk for £500 which is about €565. Couldn't find any on o2.co.uk or vodafone.co.uk

Amazon have it for £510 but there is a 2-3 week delivery time with it. Has anyone found cheaper prices with better delivery times from a reputable site?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lordfranto

I have a friend in carphonewarehouse, last week Monday I think samsung rep was in with a gs2 and told him 1 St of June will be the Irish release date, but couldn't confirm networks! Now I'd kinda take the official reps word for it, except it's now less than 2 weeks away and not one single network can confirm a date. Surely if the networks were getting this phone they'd be singing from the roof tops as it is simply the best smart phone available at the moment! All I know is I'll be pretty annoyed if it doesn't come on June 1 St, I've been iPhone for past 3/4 years and im simply sick of apples restrictive ios, the gs2 in my opinion is a true iPhone killer and android has finally gotten it's act together to be every bit as good as ios could be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Lordfranto wrote: »
    I have a friend in carphonewarehouse, last week Monday I think samsung rep was in with a gs2 and told him 1 St of June will be the Irish release date, but couldn't confirm networks! Now I'd kinda take the official reps word for it, except it's now less than 2 weeks away and not one single network can confirm a date. Surely if the networks were getting this phone they'd be singing from the roof tops as it is simply the best smart phone available at the moment! All I know is I'll be pretty annoyed if it doesn't come on June 1 St, I've been iPhone for past 3/4 years and im simply sick of apples restrictive ios, the gs2 in my opinion is a true iPhone killer and android has finally gotten it's act together to be every bit as good as ios could be!

Youd think so but this is just irish networks being silly but when was the last time you saw a network advertise a phone they didnt physically have in stock (with the exclusion of the fruitphone), im confident it will be available on most networks on 1st of the June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

CPW in the UK have had it for a week, this is just Ireland being at the back of the queue.

srsly78 wrote: »
    CPW in the UK have had it for a week, this is just Ireland being at the back of the queue.

For once its not just Ireland being sh**e I have a few buddies in the UK looking to pick this up and they cant get it until the 1st of June either.

The shop I checked in London last week physically had it in stock and I could have bought one. Probably London first.

srsly78 wrote: »
    The shop I checked in London last week physically had it in stock and I could have bought one. Probably London first.

Might be the network but I know orange havent even announced pricing in the uk yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

CPW do have stock, network stores tend to be a bit later, with "appropriate" carrier branding.

Loving the phone so far, but Android's handling of processes still sucks. Big time. Today, in the car (I was't driving!) I flicked on maps/navigation to figure out how long it would take to get where we were going. I exited out using the back key. Low and behold in the middle of the meeting the SGS piped up "in so many meters, turn right". WTF? Neither maps nor navigation is in the task manager, my battery is at 35% and 85% of the usage was by Android OS and this bloody navigation woman won't shut up. I had turned GPS off already. The only way to get the thing to pipe down was to turn off the phone and restart. If this continues the SGS and I are going to have BIG problems.

What is going on?

bd250110 wrote: »
    CPW do have stock, network stores tend to be a bit later, with "appropriate" carrier branding.

Loving the phone so far, but Android's handling of processes still sucks. Big time. Today, in the car (I was't driving!) I flicked on maps/navigation to figure out how long it would take to get where we were going. I exited out using the back key. Low and behold in the middle of the meeting the SGS piped up "in so many meters, turn right". WTF? Neither maps nor navigation is in the task manager, my battery is at 35% and 85% of the usage was by Android OS and this bloody navigation woman won't shut up. I had turned GPS off already. The only way to get the thing to pipe down was to turn off the phone and restart. If this continues the SGS and I are going to have BIG problems.

What is going on?

New to android then? Its not like fruit phone in the regard that it does real multitasking, so if you exit google navigation it will keep tracking the background, this is to facilitate you taking a call / text etc without inturrpting you trip.

You shouldve had the Navigation (arrow type icon) icon in the notification bar. To stop Navigation you need to hit menu and select end Navigation.

I didn't realise that Navigation is pretty much a separate app. I still dont get how it was running in the background, yet the Task Manager could not see it?

Indeed. Had a desire in the past, but disliked it, the SGS II is a different class of beast! Unfortunately Google are still lazy and pushing a pretty average/poor user expereince in cmparison to WP7, iOS or WebOS. The SGS is incredible hardware, but still suffers from many of the thigns which drove me insane on the desire. At least with iOS you could pull up the multitasking tray and see everything, in one place, simile long press and it was gone - forever. Don't understand why Android insists on making it so complicated. Like I say this is a great phone, but I am finding a lot of bug, issues with widgets, need to spend a lot of time finding workarounds. Little things like going into calendar this morning - from the app list - it wanted me to set up a google account? Yet the widget has been syncing data from my gmail calendar, Android really has a long, long way to go. I just want my phone to be a phone. Im all for customization, but things like power management and syncing should work, right out of the box, IMHO. There is "different" and plan "not working", "not fit for shipping". Even in Gingerbread form many aspects of Android are not ready for shipping, IMHO. (ducks for cover)

Disagree with you there, sounds like your just not getting it to me. I have a desire and have no issues, you setup the calender to your gmail account by logging in, its no different to you logging into itunes for the appstore... As i said it would be very stupid if the navigation app closed when you hit the back button would make it almost pointless.

Each to their own of course and I havent played with the GS2 yet so it make be bugs in touchwiz or something.

The old saying related to people who couldnt use anything that wasnt nokia back in the day comes to mind only now it applies to fruitphone users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I didn't realise that Navigation is pretty much a separate app. I still dont get how it was running in the background, yet the Task Manager could not see it?

Indeed. Had a desire in the past, but disliked it, the SGS II is a different class of beast! Unfortunately Google are still lazy and pushing a pretty average/poor user expereince in cmparison to WP7, iOS or WebOS. The SGS is incredible hardware, but still suffers from many of the thigns which drove me insane on the desire. At least with iOS you could pull up the multitasking tray and see everything, in one place, simile long press and it was gone - forever. Don't understand why Android insists on making it so complicated. Like I say this is a great phone, but I am finding a lot of bug, issues with widgets, need to spend a lot of time finding workarounds. Little things like going into calendar this morning - from the app list - it wanted me to set up a google account? Yet the widget has been syncing data from my gmail calendar, Android really has a long, long way to go. I just want my phone to be a phone. Im all for customization, but things like power management and syncing should work, right out of the box, IMHO. There is "different" and plan "not working", "not fit for shipping". Even in Gingerbread form many aspects of Android are not ready for shipping, IMHO. (ducks for cover)

Sounds like you should have went with an iPhone, Android is not complicated at all and its user experience is based around TRUE multitasking, you exit out of an application and dont worry about it, Android does that for you.

The user experience on Android is far superior to that of iPhone, I work with, use and develop for both, iPhones in and out user experience is the most frustrating I've ever come across, switching betweens apps is a pain, getting back to an app after its shelled out to safari or something else is crazy.

Power management and syncing do work right out of the box, you simply didn't have syncing setup correctly and you don't need and shouldn't use a task killer on Android, it has a negative effect. The task management application provided can be used and this will properly close the applications when requested, if you don't see an application here is it not running or in a dormant state waiting for the user to reopen it.

Well the response was as expected! Android is never wrong is the user's who don't 'get it', or are doing it "wrong". I don't see how I can put my user name and password in wrong - or is there a special android way to do it?
    fionny wrote: »
    The old saying related to people who couldnt use anything that wasnt nokia back in the day comes to mind only now it applies to fruitphone users.
    Thats just trolling, it's not clever, it's not useful. I am more than capable of using this (or any other) handset, I have gonr to a lot of trouble to get the widgets, apps and syncing working just as I want it. I am just making some observations about experiences I am having with the phone.

No one can answer why the app was running in the background, invisible to the app list (not a task killer, I don't have one)? Clearly Android is not "dealing" with it. The only indication that something was wrong was the continued navigation directions and when I looked at the battery usage Screen - 5%, Android OS - 78%. All Im saying is that WebOS and iOS allow users to overview all running apps that is running easily, reliably and simply.

All I am saying is that in 12 months the hardware has improved, but the user experience is still ropey. The market is still an unintelligible mess, with a horrible UI and user experience. Apps are still pointlessly running riot, doing their own thing in the background hogging resources and battery power. The whole reason I got the phone is to customise, tinker with it, give me more freedom than iOS offered, but it's just a bit frustrating to constantly have to babsysit the phone to make sure I get to lunch - let alone the whole day - I have better things to be doing. It's never clear just what the phone is doing, is GPS on, off or in the background, same with WiFi, etc.

In fairness, I do accept that there is a learning curve, Im ready for that. What worries me is that the average consumer will see these things, get half a day out of the phone, call it "crap", send it back and get something else. This is bad for Android, bad for developers and bad for current users.

All I am saying is that in 12 months the hardware has improved, but the user experience is still ropey. The market is still an unintelligible mess, with a horrible UI and user experience. Apps are still pointlessly running riot, doing their own thing in the background hogging resources and battery power. The whole reason I got the phone is to customise, tinker with it, give me more freedom than iOS offered, but it's just a bit frustrating to constantly have to babsysit the phone to make sure I get to lunch - let alone the whole day - I have better things to be doing. It's never clear just what the phone is doing, is GPS on, off or in the background, same with WiFi, etc.

In fairness, I do accept that there is a learning curve, Im ready for that. What worries me is that the average consumer will see these things, get half a day out of the phone, call it "crap", send it back and get something else. This is bad for Android, bad for developers and bad for current users.

IN YOUR OPINION THAT IS THE CASE.

The majority of us would disagree, my first "true" smartphone was the the iphone 3gs then I got the HTC Desire, i had a small learning curve but I would never go back, it wasnt complicated and app's never caused me an issue..

I fail to see how it is hard to stop the nav app my clicking the damn close button.

I think mayhaps you should go back inside the walled garden. Dont write off the world BIGGEST mobile os because you dont get it.

I couldn't press the "damn close button", the process was not in the task manager, there is no close button in the app itself - on the SGS II, at least. I now realise that I needed to go back into navigation, Quit navigation and go back from there. I know now - but can you not see how this is unnecessarily complicated and unintuitive?
    fionny wrote: »
    I think mayhaps you should go back inside the walled garden. Dont write off the world BIGGEST mobile os because you dont get it.

Again, you are just trolling, hope it makes you feel better. Why do you assume I "don't get it" what's to get? That biggest equals best? That's just willy waving, get over it. I have made a big investment in the SGS II here, like I say, Im loving the hardware, loving wireless media sync, loving the integration with gmail services. Life is peachy, just a few area of frustration, that don't need to cause such agro. It's the inconsistency more than anything - I'm just never quite sure how they are going to behave. don't you worry, I'll get used to it quickly enough - dosen't mean I have to like it though.

Ill leave you to it bd.

You call me a troll yet you are the one who came in ranting and raving and calling android a **** os.

Back to intelligent thread use for me. *wave*

• Advertisement

I've had an iPhone for past 4 years or so, it was at one stage the only dhow in town. I'm waiting for sgs2 but recently purchased a samsung Europa for my bro in law. All I can say is android works, yes maybe if u just can't use it prop u will have probs but I found ir a good experiance. I also help am older work mate to switch plans, he's was being ripped off, he got a galaxy ace and is flying with it no probs no issues. So I would suggest that msybe a bit of the auld bad tradesman blames his tools is going on me anti droid here!

I never said it was ****. I said that certain aspects of the OS are not fit to be released to the public.

I accept that I didn't close the app 'properly' - the point I was trying to make is that there shouldn't be 'right' or 'wrong' way. It should be easy to zip around the OS (for the most part it is - and this has improved) and not have to worry about what app is doing what. These are just little teething troubles, as far as I am concerned. Little quirks, I've had an iPhone so long, I think I've forgotten many of iOS's which were equally annoying to begin with!

Another irritation is the Market charging in US$. Loving making my bank even richer, any time I buy an app. Actually Google seem to turn it into UK£ before charging my a/c (a UK account) - so not so bad. They seem to be taking a cut too - £3.09 became £3.99. Nice way to make a few extra quid and starve developers of revenue. Do no evil indeed!

Back to the phone! TouchWiz 4.0 is starting to get on my goat. Samsung have made some odd choices - the apps are arranged by Google Apps -> Smasung Apps -> Non-Samsung & non-google pre-loaded apps (BBC iPlayer, etc) and then Market/3rd Party apps, seemingly the phone is arranging them by time. Can't see a way to change it to alphabetical? The app list is annoying because you have to scroll sideways, rather than up and down, which seems more intuitive. Would Launcher Pro be better? Market reviews suggest the new version might be buggy - maybe the powerhouse Sammy will be ok!
    I've loaded a stock gingerbread keyboard too. I find it better than any other keyboard, personally. Swype comes pre-installed. Its great for texting, and e-mails, but a bit of a pain for websites, etc

All I'm saying is apples ios isn't squeeky clean it's has major bugs, android is open, less restrictive and google ain't trying to tell u how to use the phone u paid for. So if ya play round with it and/or google the solution to any problems u might have, I think u will find android is pretty much as good bad or indifferent as ios!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭paddypowder

i know for a fact three will have it june

i dont know if it will have nfc.. but i dont really care

Can u elaborate on u know for a fact? If u read back u ll see I got 1st of June from a friend in cpw and it was the samsung rep that told him that, but as I've said no networks were mentioned!

i know for a fact three will have it june

i dont know if it will have nfc.. but i dont really care

What is nfc?

• Advertisement

As far as I can make out it's contactless technology for paying bills, etc. U know like an oyster card for transport in London, or for ur credit card for paying for stuff in a shop. I think the idea is u pop in ur account details then all ya do is flash ur phone at a pay station to pay for goods.

As far as I can make out it's contactless technology for paying bills, etc. U know like an oyster card for transport in London, or for ur credit card for paying for stuff in a shop. I think the idea is u pop in ur account details then all ya do is flash ur phone at a pay station to pay for goods.

Bingo! Barclays & Barclaycard are pushing this pretty heavily here in the UK. All of their Debit and Credit cards are NFC equipped. They have also launched a partnership with Orange-UK to make Orange SIM cards NFC equipped. ATM it's purchases of STG 10 or less. You are asked for your PIN every third/fifth payment. But using a chip and PIN reader resets this, so I've never been asked for a PIN on a contact-less payment.

I think the US will get the NFC SGS II first, then UK (presumably Ireland too). Mine has no MFC chip, I dont think I'll miss it, tbh. Have any Irish Banks/Retailers/Operators started rolling out NFC yet?

Can u elaborate on u know for a fact? If u read back u ll see I got 1st of June from a friend in cpw and it was the samsung rep that told him that, but as I've said no networks were mentioned!

told by a friend that has info saying they come into stock at end of may and will be on shelves for june...

also will have more info 2mor hopefully

Bingo! Barclays & Barclaycard are pushing this pretty heavily here in the UK. All of their Debit and Credit cards are NFC equipped. They have also launched a partnership with Orange-UK to make Orange SIM cards NFC equipped. ATM it's purchases of STG 10 or less. You are asked for your PIN every third/fifth payment. But using a chip and PIN reader resets this, so I've never been asked for a PIN on a contact-less payment.

I think the US will get the NFC SGS II first, then UK (presumably Ireland too). Mine has no MFC chip, I dont think I'll miss it, tbh. Have any Irish Banks/Retailers/Operators started rolling out NFC yet?

thats it
    the reason i mentioned it was just by reading articles online
    like this >>> http://www.bestmobilecontractdeals.co.uk/blog/nfc-enabled-samsung-galaxy-s2-for-uk-lands-in-june/
    and this>> http://www.siliconrepublic.com/business/item/15269-nfc-payments-tipped-to-surp
    bit of a head melt if you ask me..

told by a friend that has info saying they come into stock at end of may and will be on shelves for june...

also will have more info 2mor hopefully

Cool thanx, I'm going to wait for it on meteor as due to a group scheme I have they are simply unbeatable on price plans, but if it comes on one network it'll be on the others soon enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I couldn't press the "damn close button", the process was not in the task manager, there is no close button in the app itself - on the SGS II, at least. I now realise that I needed to go back into navigation, Quit navigation and go back from there. I know now - but can you not see how this is unnecessarily complicated and unintuitive?

Nope, you just exit and Android will deal with it. The only real power hoggers on Android are the same as on iPhone, ie: Wi-Fi, bright screen, badly designed 3rd party apps.

There is no option to close background apps on Android because there isn't supposed to be on a fully functional multitasking OS.

I am both an Android and iPhone developer, I have no bias towards one or the other, I'm just pointing out that your comments are incorrect and are your opinion only, to state that aspects of it are not fit for public release is laughable.

draffodx wrote: »
    I am both an Android and iPhone developer, I have no bias towards one or the other, I'm just pointing out that your comments are incorrect and are your opinion only, to state that aspects of it are not fit for public release is laughable.

Im just trying to understand what happened here. I now realise that I should have quit navigation then exited Maps. My logic was that if I closed maps, Navigation would also close - but navigation is a separate app to Maps, not the case - I understand why. GPS and location services were off, but navigation continued to run. Presumably why Android used 80% of that battery charge. I think the confusion and frustration comes from the way Android presents information. With iOS GPS is not really a function of itself, the apps take it, use it and put it tidily back when they are done. You kill the app, you kill the process and any hardware it might be using. I still believe that the iOS method of suspending the app is a better solution from a power management point of view. I don't really see the advantages of the full multitasking Android offers - although I may be converted yet!

I think Android is better than it was - a lot better, but there is always room for improvement. In fairness, I was a bit over dramatic in the original post, but I do think it is valuable to criticize things that are not right. I don't understand why some people are so closed to criticism - is only a mobile phone OS! From my point of view I've shelled my £500, if something is not right, or frustrating me, I'll sure as hell bring it up.

Navigation DOES have an "off" option, since in many cases you want to leave it running in the background calling out directions. Most other apps do NOT have such an option because it's not needed. Most apps will do nothing while in the background they use no CPU and thus no battery (they do use memory but this really matter).

In future, press menu, then exit for navigation. Otherwise it will stay active in the background navigating away and using your battery.

Is this why you were confused? Yes the iphone is much simpler mainly because it's a more limited system. In general you do not need to close applications at all in android, but you have found one of the few exceptions. If you find yourself using a process explorer or task killer then you are not using the device correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

went into cpw today, "it went on sale in carphone warehouse in uk last week,so we will have it in july" (on 3 network), wow.

went into 3 today, "itll be here 1st of june".

yay for ireland and the no idea about anything answer.

Is this why you were confused? Yes the iphone is much simpler mainly because it's a more limited system. In general you do not need to close applications at all in android, but you have found one of the few exceptions.

I think so. It's fine now I know what to do. I still think it's over fiddly, but it's OK. Part of the learning curve!

Overall I am thrilled with the phone, it's a lovely piece of kit. Loving the unobtrusive notifications and the widgets. I thought web browsing might be a little snappier, it donsen't seem as fast as the Desire, which was a bit of a monster rendering web pages. Like the iPhone I do miss the LED notification of the old E71 or my Desire. I think there is an app that uses a pixel?

Spipov wrote: »
    went into cpw today, "it went on sale in carphone warehouse in uk last week,so we will have it in july" (on 3 network), wow.

went into 3 today, "itll be here 1st of june".

yay for ireland and the no idea about anything answer.

I actually rang samsung bout 2 weeks ago, and the girl repeatidly told me it has been released in the uk, when I tried to explain that we are no longer part of the uk, that in fact Ireland is a completely seperate country, she replied it's been released already in the uk. So that'll tell ya how much samsung are bothered bout us paddys!

The staff in Carphonewarehouse and other mobile shops know NOTHING... and the sad thing is alot of them instead of saying they know nothing they spout bull****... im guessing they do it in hope you will just buy another phone there and then.

All signs point to the 1st of June.

@BD try install a different browser? Try Opera or Dolphin or Skyfire etc... loads to choose from.. fennec the firefox one should be close to release too i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I think there is an app that uses a pixel?

Yep you got it right.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.led.notify

I think I'm going to go to Newry this evening and get the SGS2 from Three.co.uk, its £500 and I found 2 websites that unlock it for under €20. Has anyone used any of the websites below or heard anything about them?

http://sim-unlock.net/sim-lock/12/Unlock_by_code_for_any_Samsung_phones/

http://www.mobileunlocked.co.uk/Samsung/Galaxy+S+II/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

digiman wrote: »
    I think I'm going to go to Newry this evening and get the SGS2 from Three.co.uk, its £500 and I found 2 websites that unlock it for under €20. Has anyone used any of the websites below or heard anything about them?

Are you sure that it's network locked? £500 is the typical price of the sim free version, you'd be mad to pay that much for a locked phone!!!!
    I'd say just verify if you need to unlock the phone first, and if so just buy it online sim-free instead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I bought mine from Amazon

dispatch is a crap early June :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

The GSII will launch in Ireland the 1st of June ( maybe a day before or a couple after depending on the network) on all 5 networks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Where can I buy this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 spiderhombre

just in case any of you missed this page:
    http://www.facebook.com/SamsungMobileIreland

samsung seem to update it pretty regularly. from it ive gotten that all networks will get it on june 1st and no network will have it nfc enabled as none requested it

tman wrote: »
    Are you sure that it's network locked? £500 is the typical price of the sim free version, you'd be mad to pay that much for a locked phone!!!!
    I'd say just verify if you need to unlock the phone first, and if so just buy it online sim-free instead!

I bought it in phones4u in the buttercrane centre in Newry. It was £500 on payg, £530 for sim free, so because I didn't have a UK sim he gave me one worth £10, so I paid £510 in total and its totally sim free and branding free. He said that most of the phones in their shop had no network locks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Hope it gets released soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭pgd-pgd

I was onto 3 yesterday they said it will be out on June the 1st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Worth the wait i guess

• Advertisement

It's a handset that is definitely worth the wait! It is the Android equivalent on iPhone4, in terms of being a landmark development for the platform. Make no mistake this is the handset to beat, not just on Android, but in terms of smart phones as a whole.

Loving the SGS II more and more, as time goes on. Wireless sync is the bee's knees! Love turning the phone over to silence it (something about that sends a little thrill through me every time) - I know some of the HTC's do it, but the SGS II implementation is flawless, it works first time, every time.

Battery life is better than I expected, easily a day and night, this is on the first charge/discharge cycle - so two days should be just about possible.

The market is still a frustration, it dosen't showcase apps very well (not a handset specific thing) but anytime I search for an app to do something it seems to be there! TBH Im relying on the browser based market. Something about selecting the apps on-line and having them appear on the phone appeals to my inner-Geek!

Advertisement