Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec alarm wih VOIP

Options
  • 12-02-2011 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi

I am thinking of moving to the UPC phone service which is VOIP. They have told me that I should be able to hook up my Astec alarm if I get a GSM unit. Can anyone tell what this is and how I would hook it up. I don't have a monitored alarm, it simply calls my mobile but I would like to keep this active.

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Your Phoneline out of the UPC modem connects to your alarm & the line out of the alarm connects to your phone.
    I'd recommend a battery back up for the modem using this method.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

cracker wrote: »
    Hi

I am thinking of moving to the UPC phone service which is VOIP. They have told me that I should be able to hook up my Astec alarm if I get a GSM unit. Can anyone tell what this is and how I would hook it up. I don't have a monitored alarm, it simply calls my mobile but I would like to keep this active.

Thanks

Dave

The reason they say this is because they dont recommend monitoring of an alarm system through there phone service. The GSM they refer to takes a sim card and gives out an analog line.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Given the choice I would recommend a UPC phone line over any GSM solution.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Given the choice I would recommend a UPC phone line over any GSM solution.

Most UPC lines come down the front of peoples homes.
    Would you say this is secure ?
    What about polling of a GSM, is this not secure ? More secure than UPC ?

More secure than GSM yes.
    Firstly the potential burglar has to know you are using UPC. Secondly they have to cut that cable.
    Polling is a good solution if you can get agreement on Garda response on loss of communication.
    The ideal solution is Landline (or UPC) monitoring with the outside cables underground & the access box alarmed.
    If you want more secure than that its radio

• Advertisement

The potential burglar also has to know your using GSM. The best solution would be a protected phone line or protected UPC cable with back up power supply.

altor wrote: »
    The potential burglar also has to know your using GSM.
    Or just keep a jammer in his pocket just in case
    The best solution would be a protected phone line or protected UPC cable with back up power supply.

Agreed
    I'd recommend a battery back up for the modem using this method.

Yes, but the service provider of UPC does not guarantee the service will be available.

Yes, but the service provider of UPC does not guarantee the service will be available.
    No provider will guarantee thier service will be available at any given time.
    Ask Eircom or Vodafone to put in writing that they guarantee their service will be available if your alarm goes off & see what they say.

No provider will guarantee thier service will be available at any given time.
    Ask Eircom or Vodafone to put in writing that they guarantee their service will be available if your alarm goes off & see what they say.

At lease UPC will tell you that straight away.

• Advertisement

They also tell a lot of lies to the customer.
    They argued with me on the phone for 10 minutes saying point blank it will not work. Got speaking to one of the technicians who argues the same..
    Untill I pointed out that an alarm digi was basicalliy an analouge phone & if a standard phone can connect to the moden then why can't a digi..
    The reply...
    uggh ....... I guess so.

They are just covering themselves in case it is down when needed most. Them making anyone use an alternative solution suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭cracker

I am still not sure from the replies how to actually hook it all up.

Where does the GSM unit go? I think the line for the alarm is behind the wall plate in the hall. Would I just hook up the analog line from the GSM unit to this in the same way as a normal phone?

Any idea of how much these GSM units cost and where would I get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 homelogic.ie

Where does the GSM unit go? I think the line for the alarm is behind the wall plate in the hall. Would I just hook up the analog line from the GSM unit to this in the same way as a normal phone?

For GSM units check www.beltronics.ie To connect alarm to GSM unit you need 2 wires - from GSM unit output connect wires to Alarm panel dialler input.
    If you have a voice module in your alarm that should work on VOIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

My UPC disconnects an awful lot. I wouldn't see it as reliable for an alarm at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 homelogic.ie

BostonB wrote: »
    My UPC disconnects an awful lot. I wouldn't see it as reliable for an alarm at all.

Agree. That's why providers are recommending other media for alarm monitoring. One of them is a GSM network.

BostonB wrote: »

I agree also. I had the same problems myself so got it disconnected. UPC like to cover themselves by telling you to choose a different solution to monitor your alarm.

The Astec alarm has a voice dialer built in, when you open the cover of the control panel it is located on the left as you look at the panel. Connect a line from the GSM to this. You can pick up any ordinary GSM to connect to this alarm, it does not need to be the dialer to mobile Astec sell.

Advertisement