Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Wigan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Very disappointing.

Why was Meireles taken off? Injured?

N'Gog shown up pretty badly, and Jova won't get into another matchday squad.

Both were as poor as anyone I've seen in a LFC jersey this season.

On the plus side, Suarez was excellent. He just terrorises defenders, and unlucky to not get on the score sheet.

Kelly, oncec again was superb. His position is guaranteed in the starting 11 for every game.

Funny to think that he's pushed a full, 1st choice International out of his position. Well done to the lad.

Saying that, Johnson was good today I thought. Once or twice I though he should have crossed a bit sooner, but showed willingness to get down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Not the Liverpool players's fault eh? All Woy's fault? Well done Wigan.
    Trololol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

If the **** of the linesman had done his job we would have won today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

7 games under Dalglish in the league.

4 wins

2 draws

1 loss

14 points. Two points a game average.

That leaves Kenny needing only 11 points to match the 25 points from 20 league games that we had before he came in.

With 11 league games left to play, would anyone bet against Liverpool not getting that 11 points plus a number of extra points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Meireles getting subbed was the turning point.
    Lucas and Aurelio were extremely poor in midfield, getting by-passed time and time again by Wigan. Neither broke with pace.
    Kuyt was bad but at least he got involved. I called for Jovanovic to come on instead of him but I regretit coz he made zero impact for us. As did N'Gog.

But hey, Suarez looked a class apart and Meireles' goal scoring form continues. Martin Kelly is looking better with every game. Put Gerrard, Agger and Carroll in that team and we will be laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Saying that, Johnson was good today I thought. Once or twice I though he should have crossed a bit sooner, but showed willingness to get down the line.

He looks much more solid defensively and is still getting forward but he doesn't seem to be able to cross with his weaker foot. Got in lots of great positions today and tried to hit crosses with the outside of his other foot or cut inside and it really limits his attacking threat which is his greatest asset.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Kess73 wrote: »

4 wins

2 draws

1 loss

That leaves Kenny needing only 11 points to match the 25 points from 20 league games that we had before he came in.

With 11 league games left to play, would anyone bet against Liverpool not getting that 11 points plus a number of extra points?

a week is a longtime in football for pool fans , it was only last week that fans were saying after beating chelsea that pool could get champo league

I'm afraid this team is a number of years away from that at present , harsh reality today imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Missed Gerrard today and after Raul went off our midfield was just absolutely pointless. Maxi Rodrigues is the most pointless of them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

Aurelio offered nothing in midfield.

Really needed those points today, we have a tough run of fixtures coming up.

Really believed we would come close to fourth.

• Advertisement

Liverpool supporting room mate fell asleep. Time to wake him up.

The trolls run away once we go on a little winning streak and now after one draw they dare venture back :rolleyes:

BERBA wrote: »
    a week is a longtime in football for pool fans , it was only last week that fans were saying after beating chelsea that pool could get champo league

I'm afraid this team is a number of years away from that at present , harsh reality today imo
    Not really, we just need a few wingers and better squad players which I'm sure we'll get in the summer.

Missing Agger and Gerrard today was crucial, the players looked tired. I blame the pointless internationals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Kess73 wrote: »

4 wins

2 draws

1 loss

I don't see the point of this. I think we all know that Kenny is doing a better job than Roy did.
    But today's game (and some of our previous few) demonstrated to me what a weak squad we have. We have so many average players. I sure hope Kenny realises this and does something about it in the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

My target for us for this month was 9 points from the 4 matches, we have 7 now with 1 game to play (west ham away) so I'm not too disappointed. Still looking ok. We do really need to keep Meireles fit and firing though, so important to us. Thought his movement and link up play was terrific today.

Suarez, doing what I expected from him a lot earlier than I'd hoped, which is a massive boost.

Maxi, Christ what a disappointment!

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    My target for us for this month was 9 points from the 4 matches, we have 7 now with 1 game to play (west ham away) so I'm not too disappointed. Still looking ok. We do really need to keep Meireles fit and firing though, so important to us. Thought his movement and link up play was terrific today.

Suarez, doing what I expected from him a lot earlier than I'd hoped, which is a massive boost.

Maxi, Christ what a disappointment!
    Sums my thoughts up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Sickened! Only caught the second half but we looked so uninterested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

We are a work in progress lads. Suarez looks extremely sharp. With some good additions out wide we will be alot more threatening too.

Our squad was shown to be a little weak today, subs made no impact at all.

Question marks over decision to replace Meireles with N'Gog when we only had once recognised central midfielder on the pitch in Lucas. Wigan bossed the midfield for alot of the second half.

TBH skrtel playing alongside Carra scares the crap outta me, I think Skrtel has stagnated.

overall, disappointed with the result but we have shown so much improvement in the last 6 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Have Sunderland ever played in the CL? Or Europe for that matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I think you will find that after beating Chelsea, most that commented on league positions in the superthread said that a CL spot was most likely out of our reach but that it was a slight chance.

Most were saying that chasing Spurs and Sunderland for the 5th or 6th place was more realistic up to then.

I still say that chasing the 5th or 6th spot is the most realistic option, but if we can keep getting points and others slip up, then who knows.

As for the team being a number of years away from even competing for a CL slot, well we will have to see. Come May I expect to be in a Europa Leage slot, which is a lot better than what I was expecting at the end of December.

But if the owners are prepared to bring in some quality in the summer, and I think they are, then being in the pack that chase for a 4th place finish is hardly out of the question for next season. Catching the Uniteds, Arsenal and Man Citys will not happen in one season, but competing with the other chasers, like Spurs, is a possibility next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

How did McCarthy play for Wigan today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

BERBA wrote:

harsh reality, wigan beat spurs at whl already this season on another day both those suarez efforts would have went in, wigan have been liverpool boogey team last 5 years or so, even the year liverpool finished 2nd on 86 points wigan drew with them away and were beating liverpool at anfield before valencia stupidly got himself sent off

to even suggest liverpool could make the champions league after their worst first 21 games since 1953 is incredible

• Advertisement

Honestly lads I have no idea why ye engage BERBA when he comes on. Almost everytime he posts (usually something purposely to provoke a reaction) people on here always rise to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Didn't see any of the game, what was the formation, where was Kuyt positioned?

mike65 wrote: »

He was playing for Wigan today.

SK1979 wrote: »
    How did McCarthy play for Wigan today?

Did well. You can see his speed of thought is very quick and his technical ability is very good. Great vision, touch and passing ability. Gave the ball away in some bad areas cheaply at times but he really does look a very exciting prospect for his age.

Opr

Now try a proper answer.

mike65 wrote: »

From what I could tell the formation was

kuyt----
    suarez merieles maxi
    lucas aurelio
    johnson carra skirtel kelly

Meireles went off on 52 and we just faded completley, ngog was brought on who was utter muck once again.

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Honestly lads I have no idea why ye engage BERBA when he comes on. Almost everytime he posts (usually something purposely to provoke a reaction) people on here always rise to it.

i beg to differ with you on that jayob , no provoking intented on my part , im talking pure fact , 7 days is a long time in football in summary thats what i said:rolleyes:

ppfffft this is a match thread , didnt realise it was solely intended for pool fans btw:rolleyes:

i beg to differ with you on that jayob , no provoking intented on my part , im talking pure fact , 7 days is a long time in football in summary thats what i said:rolleyes:

ppfffft this is a match thread , didnt realise it was solely intended for pool fans btw:rolleyes:

MODS for the love of god PLEASE take BERBAS similie privileges off him.

I am fed up of seeing one or two line sentences followed by :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: EVERY ****ING TIME!!!!

When it comes to BERBA and The Muppet, the Ignore option is your friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

No one said they didnt want non-liverpool fans in here, they were saying they didnt want complete knobs in here

• Advertisement

Shelvey really was a bad blow as he would have been a natural replacement for Meireles today. We are really light in that area at the moment. Not getting the Adam deal done with Blackpool could turn out to be very costly.

Opr

joe123 wrote: »

I am fed up of seeing one or two line sentences followed by :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: EVERY ****ING TIME!!!!

IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE !!!

How do you place someone on ignore again?

EDIT: Got it thanks.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Sadly you cannot control smiley privileges for individual users in vbulletin.

dont be using BERBA to get off topic , get back on topic ref match thread

opr wrote: »
    Shelvey really was a bad blow as he would have been a natural replacement for Meireles today.

Opr

I wouldn't agree. I know he's only 18 and all but I haven't been very impressed with him.

Shelvey really was a bad blow as he would have been a natural replacement for Meireles today. We are really light in that area at the moment. Not getting the Adam deal done with Blackpool could turn out to be very costly.

Opr

Agree with ya on the Shelvey part, bringing on N'Gog for Meireles looked positive on paper (being one nil up) but left us very light in midfield with Lucas the only natural central midfielder on the pitch.

Isn't it so much more peaceful already?

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree. I know he's only 18 and all but I haven't been very impressed with him.

He couldn't have been much worse than Lucas or Aurelio when it came to bursting forward to aid our attacks.

Shelvey has a drive and urgeny that we missed with two slow centre mids like Lucas and Aurelio on the pitch.

• Advertisement

Opr

i can think of someone who would have been even better than shelvey, another woy masterstroke

Alberto-Aquilani.jpg

He couldn't have been much worse than Lucas or Aurelio when it came to bursting forward to aid our attacks.

Shelvey has a drive and urgeny that we missed with two slow centre mids like Lucas and Aurelio on the pitch.

Pace would not be one of Shelveys assets thats for sure. We needed another body in there though, someone with a bit of tenacity to break up Wigans attacks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Aqualani would have been perfect for today. Gutted to drop 2 pts but still 13 from 15!!!!

Zak Flaps wrote: »

Whether you have been impressed or not he could have slotted into a position that was natural to him. At the moment as others have pointed out Lucas was the only real CM on the field for a good portion of the game.

Opr

I've thought for awhile that BERBA and The Muppet are the same person ;)

You never see them logged on at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

rossie mate, joke all you want but the things said to me last week by many on here are looking quite silly now. I've said it before and I'll say it again - the players aren't good enough. Found their level. ;)

rossie mate, joke all you want but the things said to me last week by many on here are looking quite silly now. I've said it before and I'll say it again - the players aren't good enough. Found their level. ;)
    What level? We were relegation battlers with Woy and look where we are now. We have the best form in the league since Kenny took charge. Just imagine the things we could have done if he had been in charge since the start. ;)

I think your posting style suits your level :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I think your posting style suits your level :cool:

I like to set a good example to others. :cool:

Which level Mr Nice Guy 19th or 6th?

• Advertisement
Advertisement