Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Wigan

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

BERBA wrote: »
    i beg to differ with you on that jayob , no provoking intented on my part , im talking pure fact , 7 days is a long time in football in summary thats what i said:rolleyes:

ppfffft this is a match thread , didnt realise it was solely intended for pool fans btw:rolleyes:

What team DO you support Berba? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

rossie mate, joke all you want but the things said to me last week by many on here are looking quite silly now. I've said it before and I'll say it again - the players aren't good enough. Found their level. ;)

which means woy was the problem then if 6th is their level, he had them in 19th at one stage and 3 points above the relegation zone when he left, that wigan goal today was the first liverpool conceded in 7+hrs of football, they couldn't keep a clean sheet under hodgson for love nor money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

sure il give you a clue: Were playing at the san siro for the 2nd time this season on tuesday night. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

berba surely gives it away, he supports man utd ;)

sure il give you a clue: Were playing at the san siro for the 2nd time this season on tuesday night. ;)

Arrr, I did wonder cos I thought you would be posting in the Sunderland V Spurs match thread thats all ;)

Arrr, I did wonder cos I thought you would be posting in the Sunderland V Spurs match thread thats all ;)

i have been :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

And still people reply to him. Don't complain when he is talking rubbish :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

mike65 wrote: »
    Which level Mr Nice Guy 19th or 6th?
    rossie1977 wrote:
    which means woy was the problem then if 6th is their level, he had them in 19th at one stage and 3 points above the relegation zone when he left, that wigan goal today was the first liverpool conceded in 7+hrs of football, they couldn't keep a clean sheet under hodgson for love nor money

Lads, where is the mention of the players at all when talking about the 19th position? We can debate the blame Hodgson should be allocated until the cows come home ( I suspect we'll differ on that) but you have to admit the players have to take a large degree of responsibility for Liverpool's problems. Hodgson is history now. Has Dalglish really proven that the players are good enough? Let's not brush over some less than impressive aspects - defeat to Blackpool after throwing away a lead, losing a lead to Everton from a winning position and dropping points, beating Fulham thanks to a Pantsil O.G., throwing away a lead to Wigan from a winning position and dropping points.

This is all with Dalglish at the helm and doesn't come across like a guy performing miracles as he was presented as last week. It comes across to me like a guy struggling with his squad which is plainly not as good as previous years. Yes he's done well in some games (particularly last week where the team were excellent) but as I pointed out last week, and which many didn't want to hear, Hodgson's team beat Chelsea also.

It's been a mixed bag from what I can see and I felt the same about Hodgson's reign so I'd attribute the cause of both to be the players themselves. Many fans today however are quick to blame the manager for a club's woes when they should be looking at the players.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

wigan played darn well today. very impressive away performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Lads, where is the mention of the players at all when talking about the 19th position? We can debate the blame Hodgson should be allocated until the cows come home ( I suspect we'll differ on that) but you have to admit the players have to take a large degree of responsibility for Liverpool's problems. Hodgson is history now. Has Dalglish really proven that the players are good enough? Let's not brush over some less than impressive aspects - defeat to Blackpool after throwing away a lead, losing a lead to Everton from a winning position and dropping points, beating Fulham thanks to a Pantsil O.G., throwing away a lead to Wigan from a winning position and dropping points.

This is all with Dalglish at the helm and doesn't come across like a guy performing miracles as he was presented as last week. It comes across to me like a guy struggling with his squad which is plainly not as good as previous years. Yes he's done well in some games (particularly last week where the team were excellent) but as I pointed out last week, and which many didn't want to hear, Hodgson's team beat Chelsea also.

It's been a mixed bag from what I can see and I felt the same about Hodgson's reign so I'd attribute the cause of both to be the players themselves. Many fans today however are quick to blame the manager for a club's woes when they should be looking at the players.

Ok...here's my response.

Liverpool are now making progre......agh I won't bother.....won't win this one but real football followers know the difference between Dalglish & Hodgson!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I haven't seen the game yet, but it seems our strength in depth cost us points today. Not too disappointed overall, as we've kept our unbeaten run going.

Hopefully we can get our key players fit and firing for the remainder of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

We need a song for this man! What a player!

Raul, Raul, Raul the red,
    He's bald and Portuguese,
    Meireles, Meireles, Meireles, Meireles,
    Score a goal for me

i have been :rolleyes:

Err where exactly is it then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I've thought for awhile that BERBA and The Muppet are the same person ;)

You never see them logged on at the same time.

Na , thats because we usually take different shifts.:p

Another good point for Liverpool today, you must be all delighted with the improved performances.

Err where exactly is it then?

i love that boy kranjcar , he smashed it

See yere back in 5th again pepper:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Yes he's done well in some games (particularly last week where the team were excellent) but as I pointed out last week, and which many didn't want to hear, Hodgson's team beat Chelsea also.

Liverpool under Hodgson beat Chelsea with Fernando Torres in the team - he scored both our goals if I remember correctly. When they met again Torres was playing for Chelsea and we managed a win and a very good performance.

I know this is nit picking your post - I've ignored a huge chunk of it. All I will say is this - Liverpool at Christmas were in the relegation zone. Now we're in the top 10 (6th). If you said to me back then that we'd get up to 6th I would have rode you and your brother. Especially since Torres has left and we now have a EPL newcomer in Suarez and Carroll out injured. I'm not expecting silverware this year or Champions League football, call me pessimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Augmerson wrote: »
    Liverpool under Hodgson beat Chelsea with Fernando Torres in the team - he scored both our goals if I remember correctly. When they met again Torres was playing for Chelsea and we managed a win and a very good performance.

Your point is?:confused:

I know this is nit picking your post - I've ignored a huge chunk of it. All I will say is this - Liverpool at Christmas were in the relegation zone. Now we're in the top 10 (6th). If you said to me back then that we'd get up to 6th I would have rode you and your brother. Especially since Torres has left and we now have a EPL newcomer in Suarez and Carroll out injured.

I know it was strange to see supporters of other clubs display more realistic appraisals of liverpools situation than some of their own supporters ,many of whom are usally in feast or famine mode.

I'm not expecting silverware this year or Champions League football, call me pessimistic.

Thats good , you won't be disappointed so.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

On one hand, Mr Nice Guy, i'd agree that the Europa League spots is about as good as we're going to achieve. A Champions League placing, whilst not impossible to reach, is definitely a long shot and not likely at all to finish. So looking at the squads of the clubs around us, a fifth to seventh place finish is pretty much we are at this moment.

But you seem to be using this as a defense of Roy Hodgson and that it was the players fault. The whole issue with Hodgson's tenure was that he had us down in the bottom half of the league table playing football that just wasn't inspiring the fans. It was draining them of any positive emotion.

Whilst we weren't exactly expecting league titles, i always felt that the squad was good enough to be finishing in the top half of the table and maybe grabbing a Europa League spot. Not where Hodgson had us.

So while your probably right that a 5th to a 7th place finish is probably our level at this moment, it's taken the appointment of Kenny to even get us up there (still a chunk of the season to go, of course, we need to keep going) as opposed to Hodgson turning is into bloody relegation fodder.

monkey9 wrote: »
    On one hand, Mr Nice Guy, i'd agree that the Europa League spots is about as good as we're going to achieve. A Champions League placing, whilst not impossible to reach, is definitely a long shot and not likely at all to finish. So looking at the squads of the clubs around us, a fifth to seventh place finish is pretty much we are at this moment.

But you seem to be using this as a defense of Roy Hodgson and that it was the players fault. The whole issue with Hodgson's tenure was that he had us down in the bottom half of the league table playing football that just wasn't inspiring the fans. It was draining them of any positive emotion.

Whilst we weren't exactly expecting league titles, i always felt that the squad was good enough to be finishing in the top half of the table and maybe grabbing a Europa League spot. Not where Hodgson had us.

So while your probably right that a 5th to a 7th place finish is probably our level at this moment, it's taken the appointment of Kenny to even get us up there (still a chunk of the season to go, of course, we need to keep going) as opposed to Hodgson turning is into bloody relegation fodder.

The team were underperforming without a doubt. I would argue however that the players just didn't put in enough commitment. Why? Well as Barnes said, and I think he hit the nail on the head at the time, if the players know that the manager is going to get all the flak then where is the incentive to perform?

I think he lost the dressing room. The players didn't fancy him and their comments since he left seem to reflect that. This begs the question though, and I think I put this to someone last week, is it justifiable to side with the players and sack a manager just because the players decide they don't fancy it? Shouldn't the club try to get behind the manager more? In fairness it was even more difficult for him because he wasn't the owner's guy either, which is never easy.

Some blame the manager for the dip in form but I would put greater emphasis on lack of commitment from players who could have given a lot more for him than they wanted to. I am obviously not in the majority with that view but I would argue the results of Dalglish since he took over are shakier than the current narrative suggests, and that there are more problems with the squad than meets the eye.

It's easy to write a narrative of a bad manager that took a top team to the brink of relegation and which required a legend to return and save them. It sounds like a good narrative on paper and clearly many have bought into it. What I think is a more truthful and honest narrative however is - a decline had started with his predecessor, great players left, lazy prima donnas didn't perform to their best and lost faith in the manager playing a part in him getting the chop, and an untouchable legend returned to try and lift a great club with a poor team.

Some don't like my interpretation of it clearly but I honestly believe Liverpool's highest finish this season is sixth max and think Hodgson could have gotten them there. I would thus have liked to have seen him get more support so he could have tried. If Liverpool finish higher than sixth I'll be happy to acknowledge I was wrong - well not happy but I'll acknowledge it :pac: - but I think this season was always going to be a transitional one and I just think Roy got in over his head, not in terms of being unfit for the job but just dealt some really bad hands over the duration of his tenure.
    murpho999 wrote:
    Ok...here's my response.

Liverpool are now making progre......agh I won't bother.....won't win this one but real football followers know the difference between Dalglish & Hodgson!

'Real football followers'? So your response is a post that's not actually a response but rather an excuse to get in a cheap jibe. Well done.

It's a discussion forum so what's wrong with opinions that go against the grain? No matter what the troll accusers, begrudgers, and those who claim I'm not a 'real fan' say - whatever that means - I back up my views which is more than ignorant, one to two-line artists can do. At least some Liverpool fans are willing to debate without these antics.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

So MNG you feel that because of our draw against Wigan the players aren't good enough and we have found our level yet again.

With that kind of reasoning United's level should be in the fúcking Championship considering ye lost to Wolves 7 days ago.

What about the previous 4 comprehensive victories in a row with clean sheets in the lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

When it comes to BERBA and The Muppet, the Ignore option is your friend

But it only works if people stop quoting them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Roy Hodgson got sacked because he didn't use the players correctly. His tactics didn't suit and he didn't get the results.

Yes the players have to shoulder a lot of the blame also. Anyone who has seen us this season could see that Hodgsons Liverpool could not defend properly. Roy would have never turned it around and i suspect we would have ended in the bottom half of the table with him in charge.

Kenny has us playing to our strenghts, something Roy never done. Kenny also has us defending well, something which was never fully dealt with by Roy. Kenny hasn't fixed everything and may not even be in charge next season, but he is a far superior manager than Roy in terms of style of play.

Honestly if you dont see the difference between the two you must be quite dim, but i'll sum it up for you. Roy wanted the players to adapt to his tactics no matter what style of player they were (eg Torres to play the Zamora role), Kenny adapted his tactics around the players availible. That is the difference in what we have seen at Liverpool IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

So MNG you feel that because of our draw against Wigan the players aren't good enough and we have found our level yet again.

With that kind of reasoning United's level should be in the fúcking Championship considering ye lost to Wolves 7 days ago.

What about the previous 4 comprehensive victories in a row with clean sheets in the lot.

Are you saying the current liverpool squad is better than united, city, arsenal, chelsea and spurs?

Some don't like my interpretation of it clearly but I honestly believe Liverpool's highest finish this season is sixth max and think Hodgson could have gotten them there. I would thus have liked to have seen him get more support so he could have tried. If Liverpool finish higher than sixth I'll be happy to acknowledge I was wrong - well not happy but I'll acknowledge it :pac: - but I think this season was always going to be a transitional one and I just think Roy got in over his head, not in terms of being unfit for the job but just dealt some really bad hands over the duration of his tenure.

Garbage....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

But it only works if people stop quoting them

no. you can get a super-ignore add on thingy. its awesome. i leave berba unignored though. ADHD ftw!

• Advertisement

The team were underperforming without a doubt. I would argue however that the players just didn't put in enough commitment. Why? Well as Barnes said, and I think he hit the nail on the head at the time, if the players know that the manager is going to get all the flak then where is the incentive to perform?

I think he lost the dressing room. The players didn't fancy him and their comments since he left seem to reflect that. This begs the question though, and I think I put this to someone last week, is it justifiable to side with the players and sack a manager just because the players decide they don't fancy it? Shouldn't the club try to get behind the manager more? In fairness it was even more difficult for him because he wasn't the owner's guy either, which is never easy.

Some blame the manager for the dip in form but I would put greater emphasis on lack of commitment from players who could have given a lot more for him than they wanted to. I am obviously not in the majority with that view but I would argue the results of Dalglish since he took over are shakier than the current narrative suggests, and that there are more problems with the squad than meets the eye.

It's easy to write a narrative of a bad manager that took a top team to the brink of relegation and which required a legend to return and save them. It sounds like a good narrative on paper and clearly many have bought into it. What I think is a more truthful and honest narrative however is - a decline had started with his predecessor, great players left, lazy prima donnas didn't perform to their best and lost faith in the manager playing a part in him getting the chop, and an untouchable legend returned to try and lift a great club with a poor team.

'Real football followers'? So your response is a post that's not actually a response but rather an excuse to get in a cheap jibe. Well done.

It's a discussion forum so what's wrong with opinions that go against the grain? No matter what the troll accusers, begrudgers, and those who claim I'm not a 'real fan' say - whatever that means - I back up my views which is more than ignorant, one to two-line artists can do. At least some Liverpool fans are willing to debate without these antics.

I agree with you to a point alright. The players clearly weren't playing for the manager. But they should be playing for the shirt.

Hodgson should never have been given the job in the first place. Whether it's right or wrong, when you sign for Liverpool FC, you don't expect to be managed by the likes of Roy Hodgson.

If a manager loses the dressing room, then there's only one outcome. You're not gonna sack a team or a squad, it's the manager who gets the bullet.

But you even have to look at the way Kenny has utilised the squad compared to Roy. He just seems to be getting the best out of players!!

An upheaval is needed with this squad, no doubt about it. We want to win the league, that's what we aim for and this squad is nowhere good enough. We have new owners who hopefully will have a positive impact on the club. We hopefully have a manager who can bring us forward and knows what needs to be done with this club.

Roy Hodgson was appointed under the old regime and he was never gonna progress the club forward to where we want to be. Kenny will sort out the players who don't have the mentality to take responsibility for what's expected of them.

Overall, i think you're right. Our level right now with this squad is Europa League positions with a very outside chance of Champions League qualification. What i think has muddied the waters in terms of the reaction against you is that you've been defending Roy and that just kicks in a defense mechanism within Liverpool fans.

Roy had to go. No matter about the squad and players and their mentality and attitude, Roy just had to go!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Wow, the haters must have been seething the last four games. Out in force today.

Under Dalglish: 2.00 points per game
    Under Hodgson: 1.25 points per game

I'll leave it to others to elaborate on why:

A) Maintaining that average under Dalglish would be spectacular;
    B) The above makes a mockery of MNG's assertion that 'Liverpool would have finished 6th anyway under Hodgson'

monkey9 wrote: »
    The players clearly weren't playing for the manager

Not jumping on you here but i hear this so often...

The players get stick for getting Roy the boot. Fair point and i accept that, but did you see how he set the team up? A ****ing shambles.... whatever some posters will say Roy had quality players at his disposal and he failed to use them correctly with his rigid one dimensional tactics. It should be obvious why the players weren't playing at their best.

Roy got what he deserved. I wont go into more but Liverpool fans know why he had to go. From his press conferences to his inability to adapt tactically he was never going to work out. He would have never ever got us to top 6 this season.

Good luck to him at West Brom....he has found his level there.

Not jumping on you here but i hear this so often...

The players get stick for getting Roy the boot. Fair point and i accept that, but did you see how he set the team up? A ****ing shambles.... whatever some posters will say Roy had quality players at his disposal and he failed to use them correctly with his rigid one dimensional tactics. It should be obvious why the players weren't playing at their best.

Roy got what he deserved. I wont go into more but Liverpool fans know why he had to go. From his press conferences to his inability to adapt tactically he was never going to work out. He would have never ever got us to top 6 this season.

Good luck to him at West Brom....he has found his level there.

Well, i blame Roy more than the players. No doubt about it. He organises them. Plans the team, the tactics, the formation etc.

The players could have shown more. I just think, quite simply, they got moody about it.

But as i say, once the dressing room is lost, the manager has to go. So Hodgson had to go, imo so i have no problem with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Honestly lads I have no idea why ye engage BERBA when he comes on. Almost everytime he posts (usually something purposely to provoke a reaction) people on here always rise to it.
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

LOL at a couple of posters getting carried away with one result! Thought it might have been Liverpool fans doing it!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the players were at fault...i don't know how many times i have explained this to rival fans who really seem to want to tell us that we were unfair on Hodgson, and somehow siding completely with the players.

it's not true.

blame for the manager and blame for the players are not mutually exclusive. it's not one or the others' fault. it was both.

but, for the umpteenth time, you can't sack the team.

and Hodgson was dreadful in his tactics, how he set out the team, and he quite blatantly didn't have the respect of the players. that's pretty petulant of the players, and in an ideal world they'd simply play for the shirt, but modern football ain't that simple. a manager needs to know how to instill extra desire in the team...through his talk, and most importantly, the way he sets out the team.

Hodgson was ALWAYS going to be the one the lose out.

and i'm really, really tired of the 'when are you going to blame the players?' argument. we do. plenty. all the time in fact. but we're not going to keep Hodgson round waiting for the players to cop on.

the fact is, so far, Kenny has been a vast, vast improvement. end of. dress it up how you like, he's had a points average of 2.0 versus 1.25 p/game, has clean sheets, and has us a threat away from home for a change.

shame on the players for the start of the season. shame on Hodgson. but such is life, Hodgson had to be the one to take the hit. i don't see what's so difficult in that to understand.

SlickRic wrote: »
    the players were at fault...i don't know how many times i have explained this to rival fans who really seem to want to tell us that we were unfair on Hodgson, and somehow siding completely with the players.

it's not true.

blame for the manager and blame for the players are not mutually exclusive. it's not one or the others' fault. it was both.

and Hodgson was dreadful in his tactics, how he set out the team, and he quite blatantly didn't have the respect of the players. that's pretty petulant of the players, and in an ideal world they'd simply play for the shirt, but modern football ain't that simple. a manager needs to know how to instill extra desire in the team...through his talk, and most importantly, the way he sets out the team.

and i'm really, really tired of the 'when are you going to blame the players?' argument. we do. plenty. all the time in fact. but we're not going to keep Hodgson round waiting for the players to cop on.

the fact is, so far, Kenny has been a vast, vast improvement. end of. dress it up how you like, he's had a points average of 2.0 versus 1.25 p/game, has clean sheets, and has us a threat away from home for a change.

shame on the players for the start of the season. shame on Hodgson. but such is life, Hodgson had to be the one to take the hit. i don't see what's so difficult in that to understand.

I learned nothing from yesterday, well one thing, Suarez should settle in nicely in the PL.

Other than that, nothing, Liverpool have no strength in depth once a couple of regulars are out, in this case no Agger or Gerrard, no Cole on the bench, though we are used to that. Shame Shelvey wasn't fit, would have been a nice test for him.

Still:

3Jlm.png

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

it's not true.

OK first off, the statistic about points per games is ridiculous. How long has Dalglish been there for, 8 games? And this is being compared to Hodgson's reign of several months? Come on. Let's compare Hodgson's first 7 league games as Liverpool manager with Dalglish's first 7 (the other game was the FA Cup tie vs United):

Hodgson's first 7:

Arsenal (H)
    Man City (A)
    West Brom (H)
    Birmingham (A)
    Man Utd (A)
    Sunderland (H)
    Blackpool (H)

Fair to say, ruddy bloody difficult don't you think? Four of those teams now make up the top 7 teams in the league. Now let's compare Dalglish's first 7 league games:

Dalglish's first 7:

Blackpool (A)
    Everton (H)
    Wolves (A)
    Fulham (H)
    Stoke (H)
    Chelsea (A)
    Wigan (H)

It's easy to see who had the hardest start as manager and it wasn't Dalglish. Only Chelsea out of those teams Dalglish faced make up the top 7 in the league. Most are bottom half teams.

So Slick, are you expecting me to believe Kenny's points average would be looking so good if he had Hodgson's opening fixtures? I don't think so, which makes a stat like that straw-clutching. It doesn't take into account the teams that have been played, the morale levels at the time, runs of form which dip and rise, etc and other variables.

(I'm amused by the thought also of a United fan perhaps having cooked up a similar system to argue why Fergie should have been sacked when he went through his bad patch early in his reign, and that Big Ron should have been brought back in since his stats would have been better!)

Secondly, I have no difficulty accepting why Hodgson took the hit. I'm well aware of how the game operates. What some people don't seem to get is that I don't condone or approve of it. Some Liverpool fans seem to get in a huff because I won't conform to their view on this. Well I believe he deserved time and so do Ferguson and Wenger from their comments - the longest serving managers in the league (some like to respond that they said it for the cameras cos their pals etc) so I'll insert my reply ahead of time - why did Liverpool legends who were not pals of his also argue the same thing? I've gone round and round on that anyway.

I'm glad you accept the players didn't do enough. We agree on that. You say Hodgson got his tactics wrong on occasion. I'm not suggesting otherwise so we agree on that too. Where we obviously differ however is you seem to think that if players don't fancy certain tactics or systems then they are entitled to not put in a shift, and that the manager merits the boot for a player's petulance. I competely disagree and would argue if managers got better support from their employers, and from the fans, which Hodgson himself asked for, then their position would be strengthened and the club could move forward without having to deal with petulant prima donnas dictating policy - one of which ended up being sold for £50m later on incidentally.

I don't know why having this view annoys so many on here, tbh. It's a discussion forum so what's wrong with having different views? Do I have to conform to the masses, many of whom unlike yourself can't even be arsed debating with me, and just want to give one line responses and rolleyes smilies, or maybe wax lyrical about 'haters hating' - which to me is the height of ignorance and equivalent to burying one's head in the sand like an ostrich - or can I actually have a view that goes against the majority? I argue my views and defend them as best I can. If some don't agree with me fair enough, that's sport. I still maintain though that Hodgson got dealt some bad hands and could have gotten some more time. I don't think that to be an unreasonable view to have frankly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Roy's results against the teams we've played so far under Kenny excluding Fulham as Roy didn't play them

Blackpool - lost
    Everton - lost
    Wolves - lost
    Stoke - lost
    Chelsea - won
    Wigan – drew

Kenny's results:

Blackpool - lost
    Everton - drew
    Wolves - won
    Stoke - won
    Chelsea - won
    Wigan - drew

Roy = 4 points
    Kenny = 11 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The sample of 6 works nicely too as each manager gets 3 home and 3 away.

I'm glad you accept the players didn't do enough. We agree on that. You say Hodgson got his tactics wrong on occasion. I'm not suggesting otherwise so we agree on that too. Where we obviously differ however is you seem to think that if players don't fancy certain tactics or systems then they are entitled to not put in a shift, and that the manager merits the boot for a player's petulance. I competely disagree and would argue if managers got better support from their employers, and from the fans, which Hodgson himself asked for, then their position would be strengthened and the club could move forward without having to deal with petulant prima donnas dictating policy - one of which ended up being sold for £50m later on incidentally.

this is the crux of my issue.

i do not excuse the players one iota, which you seem to accuse me of believing.

but the reality of the game is that the manager has to be able to get the best out of what he's got, has to have the respect of the players, and has to instill confidence in the team.

Hodgson exhibited none of this.

i don't know how much of Hodgson's Liverpool you've watched. Kenny's is completely unrecognisable. the reason our results have picked up is due to the team playing further up the pitch, being encouraged to pass it, and being encouraged to support each other, en-masse, in attack. if you've seen any analysis of our play since Kenny took charge you will see that. that is why our results have improved.

i've heard it said, 'oh, it's new manager syndrome that has the current Liverpool team playing well'. bollocks again. Roy didn't seem to have that problem.

Hodgson did not deserve more time. the players, if we had a choice, didn't deserve time either, but what can you do?! without the players you unfortunately don't have a team.

i have no problem with people having alternative opinions; i'm forever defending those who have them, you should have seen that by now i hope. but on the Hodgson issue, it really gets me riled when fans get accused of 'siding with the players'. because i'm sorry, for the majority of us, there was no siding with anyone.

if i could've sacked the team, i would have, but i can't and nobody can.

and either way, Roy was shít. any reasonable fan watching us play at the start of the season will have seen that he couldn't hack it. the defensive setups, and camping in our own half were down to Roy, end of. nobody can possibly argue he deserved more time. he'd lost the dressing room, had us set up terribly, wasn't winning enough games, had us near the relegation zone. whether the players should have played for him or not is largely irrelevant; it may be pathetic, but that's the way it was. so to give them a kick up the arse (because, i repeat, you can't sack them) a change HAD to happen.

you are of course entitled to maintain your opinion, i don't expect to change it...but the bottom line for me is, the players were **** and deserved huge blame, and i wish i could've pretty much replaced them all, but if you'd watched Roy's team and how he'd set us up, and you'd seen how the current team i set up (regardless of players), you'll see who knows how to manage a top team. his sacking was entirely justified IMO.

(and of course managers are going to support Roy, they're hardly going to say he deserved it are they? honestly....especially his mate Sir Alex....)

Fromvert wrote: »
    Roy's results against the teams we've played so far under Kenny excluding Fulham as Roy didn't play them

Blackpool - lost
    Everton - lost
    Wolves - lost
    Stoke - lost
    Chelsea - won
    Wigan – drew

Kenny's results:

Blackpool - lost
    Everton - drew
    Wolves - won
    Stoke - won
    Chelsea - won
    Wigan - drew

Roy = 4 points
    Kenny = 11 points

Dalglish was at home for half of those games - Everton, Stoke and Wigan. You would expect better results at home. (He was home to Fulham too also).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Dalglish was at home for half of those games - Everton, Stoke and Wigan. You would expect better results at home. (He was home to Fulham too also).

So was Roy, Chelsea, Blackpool and Wolves.

Should he of had better results?

(I'm amused by the thought also of a United fan perhaps having cooked up a similar system to argue why Fergie should have been sacked when he went through his bad patch early in his reign, and that Big Ron should have been brought back in since his stats would have been better!)

We all know SAF wouldn't have lasted in this day and age, hell, he barely lasted then! It isn't inconceivable at all that SAF wouldn't be at United and that was in 1991, 20 years ago.

We all know why Roy was got rid off. Tactics, owners, tactics, players, tactics, squad, tactics, never got a fair chance, his own tactics, lack of depth, tactics, poor squad, tactics etc. etc.

SAF had these same problems, difference was he'd pedigree, breaking
    the old Firm, an impossible task, then and now.

You have a yearning for the old school sticking by a manager philosophy. Guess what? Liverpool have just found the right the candidate to stick by!

Kenny will do fine and he's doing fine.Liverpool want to get back to the Shankley, Paisley, Fagan and Dalglish era. Rafa nearly did it.

Roy was a stop gap manager, everybody knows it, at most a season, until new owners came in.

No doubt you'll ignore this and other posts. That's fine, it's your prerogative.

I think United should have stood by Atkinson myself! ;)

• Advertisement

this is the crux of my issue.

i do not excuse the players one iota, which you seem to accuse me of believing.

but the reality of the game is that the manager has to be able to get the best out of what he's got, has to have the respect of the players, and has to instill confidence in the team.

Hodgson exhibited none of this.

i don't know how much of Hodgson's Liverpool you've watched. Kenny's is completely unrecognisable. the reason our results have picked up is due to the team playing further up the pitch, being encouraged to pass it, and being encouraged to support each other, en-masse, in attack. if you've seen any analysis of our play since Kenny took charge you will see that. that is why our results have improved.

i've heard it said, 'oh, it's new manager syndrome that has the current Liverpool team playing well'. bollocks again. Roy didn't seem to have that problem.

Hodgson did not deserve more time. the players, if we had a choice, didn't deserve time either, but what can you do?! without the players you unfortunately don't have a team.

i have no problem with people having alternative opinions; i'm forever defending those who have them, you should have seen that by now i hope. but on the Hodgson issue, it really gets me riled when fans get accused of 'siding with the players'. because i'm sorry, for the majority of us, there was no siding with anyone.

if i could've sacked the team, i would have, but i can't and nobody can.

and either way, Roy was shít. any reasonable fan watching us play at the start of the season will have seen that he couldn't hack it. the defensive setups, and camping in our own half were down to Roy, end of. nobody can possibly argue he deserved more time. he'd lost the dressing room, had us set up terribly, wasn't winning enough games, had us near the relegation zone. whether the players should have played for him or not is largely irrelevant; it may be pathetic, but that's the way it was. so to give them a kick up the arse (because, i repeat, you can't sack them) a change HAD to happen.

you are of course entitled to maintain your opinion, i don't expect to change it...but the bottom line for me is, the players were **** and deserved huge blame, and i wish i could've pretty much replaced them all, but if you'd watched Roy's team and how he'd set us up, and you'd seen how the current team i set up (regardless of players), you'll see who knows how to manage a top team. his sacking was entirely justified IMO.

(and of course managers are going to support Roy, they're hardly going to say he deserved it are they? honestly....especially his mate Sir Alex....)

Yes of course I agree the manager has to get the best out of what he's got. It is a two way process though and that is a point that I feel has frequently been lost. This is something that Hodgson had to deal with - people bemoaned the results he was getting and said he was to blame, but sure Dalglish has presided over a team that has been beaten by Blackpool, drawn with Everton and drawn with Wigan and thrown away leads in the process. Those are results that would have gotten Hodgson huge stick. Does this not signify then that the Liverpool squad might be the bulk of the problem? Or are we not far off from Dalglish not being good enough either? You wouldn't know in this game. His results have been mixed from what I can see against what I'd regard as a quite fair and reasonable fixture list. Not having a pop at Dalglish by saying that because I feel the players he has, new signings aside, have been largely poor this season.

I've seen Liverpool pretty much every time they've been televised live and tbh I think there is a lot of hype going on. For instance the United game was cited as evidence Liverpool had turned a corner. 'At least there's passion now etc'. I didn't see much from Liverpool that day personally and thought both teams were poor. I saw the Wigan game recently and felt they were OK but that Wigan merited something. Carragher acknowledged that on Sky. I thought they were excellent against Chelsea. I do believe in 'new manager syndrome' myself and I think it's part of the reason chairmen get anxious and bring someone else in. In fairness to Hodgson his opening games were very tough, regardless of any new effect.

Fair enough you don't like the guy's system of play. I can understand that but I think the players have a lot of responsibility too for the results. I would ask could they have done more. I look at Liverpool's players and I certainly felt they could have done more because they are a talented bunch on paper. The sixth best squad on paper in my view and I believe the table will reflect that. Some players just didn't do enough for him. Torres, Cole, Konchesky - man he really let him down - Johnson, even Kuyt who is one of the players I really like seems poorer than previous seasons. Also he lost Mascherano and it's tough when you have fans wanting this team to be challenging for the top four with a squad like that.
    Fromvert wrote:
    So was Roy, Chelsea, Blackpool and Wolves.

Should he of had better results?

The Chelsea one was probably his best result. The others are disappointing. I just feel it's flawed and suspect to make comparisons with a guy that came in under a cloud like Hodgson dealing with a lot of turmoil about ownership and players leaving and/or wanting to leave over many months, who had a very tough baptism of fire, with a guy that came in as an overwhelmingly popular choice who has been given big financial backing from great owners and who has a quite reasonable opening fixture list. There are too many variables to make such a statistical comparison imo.
    K-9 wrote:
    We all know SAF wouldn't have lasted in this day and age, hell, he barely lasted then! It isn't inconceivable at all that SAF wouldn't be at United and that was in 1991, 20 years ago.

We all know why Roy was got rid off. Tactics, owners, tactics, players, tactics, squad, tactics, never got a fair chance, his own tactics, lack of depth, tactics, poor squad, tactics etc. etc.

SAF had these same problems, difference was he'd pedigree, breaking
    the old Firm, an impossible task, then and now.

You have a yearning for the old school sticking by a manager philosophy. Guess what? Liverpool have just found the right the candidate to stick by!

Kenny will do fine and he's doing fine.Liverpool want to get back to the Shankley, Paisley, Fagan and Dalglish era. Rafa nearly did it.

Roy was a stop gap manager, everybody knows it, at most a season, until new owners came in.

No doubt you'll ignore this and other posts. That's fine, it's your prerogative.

I think United should have stood by Atkinson myself! ;)

Well firstly to be fair I don't think I've ignored posts. It's just hard to know which posters want to discuss it and which ones just want to call me a troll, a hater, not a real football fan, etc. It's tiresome hearing these sort of snide comments all the time.

Leaving aside all that, we actually seem to be in agreement with a lot here. Certainly in the current climate Fergie wouldn't have made it. I think he may have said this himself at one stage. He has called for clubs to give managers more time because this equates to stability and I agree with him 100% on that. Wenger has said it too.

I do think Dalglish will be given time and it looks like the owners mean business so I'm sure it will be a more stable club going forward than when Hodgson was there. All I'm saying is, that reality doesn't mean Hodgson was a poor manager or coach. In my view he got dealt some tough hands and situations and couldn't shake off that cloud he came in under. In an ideal world I think he could have taken Liverpool to the finish where they will end up, but we will never know and can only speculate because football right now, most definitely, is not ideal.

I just take issue with this notion that he's a sh*t manager. I think it was Houllier who pointed out the absurdity of how he was pretty much universally praised last year for what he did with Fulham in Europe, and yet in less than a year, half a year, he is being called a poor manager. Last week after the Chelsea game some Liverpool fans were scathing of him and said the result was proof that Dalglish can do better with the same resources. Well the Wigan game I think raises question marks about the limitations of the Liverpool squad as other results do and I don't believe that the problems Liverpool had under Hodgson are as clear-cut as some want to believe. Of course people are entitled to their own views and interpretations as I am and my view is that Hodgson hasn't gone from being a great coach, which is what I think he is, to a bad one in a couple of months.

There's been a lot of talk of 'levels' in all this. Some say Hodgson wasn't at Liverpool's level. Some say he has found his level at West Brom. My view is that both he and Liverpool were trying to find a new level and that when results got patchy, the justification for his firing was that he wasn't at the club's level. I don't think it's that simple however. I just think Liverpool are having to come to terms with being at a level unlike that of previous years, and with the growing pains that this will involve, perhaps it took an old friendly face like Dalglish to oversee that, rather than a guy like Hodgson who the fans overall never really warmed to. Just my two cents on it.

Anyways I've honestly said all I want to say on this tbh. Cheers to those who take the time to discuss it without the unnecessary comments. Nothing wrong with different viewpoints at the end of the day.

OK first off, the statistic about points per games is ridiculous. How long has Dalglish been there for, 8 games? And this is being compared to Hodgson's reign of several months? Come on. Let's compare Hodgson's first 7 league games as Liverpool manager with Dalglish's first 7 (the other game was the FA Cup tie vs United):

Hodgson's first 7:

Arsenal (H)
    Man City (A)
    West Brom (H)
    Birmingham (A)
    Man Utd (A)
    Sunderland (H)
    Blackpool (H)

Fair to say, ruddy bloody difficult don't you think? Four of those teams now make up the top 7 teams in the league. Now let's compare Dalglish's first 7 league games:

Dalglish's first 7:

Blackpool (A)
    Everton (H)
    Wolves (A)
    Fulham (H)
    Stoke (H)
    Chelsea (A)
    Wigan (H)

It's easy to see who had the hardest start as manager and it wasn't Dalglish. Only Chelsea out of those teams Dalglish faced make up the top 7 in the league. Most are bottom half teams.

So Slick, are you expecting me to believe Kenny's points average would be looking so good if he had Hodgson's opening fixtures? I don't think so, which makes a stat like that straw-clutching. It doesn't take into account the teams that have been played, the morale levels at the time, runs of form which dip and rise, etc and other variables.

Secondly, I have no difficulty accepting why Hodgson took the hit. I'm well aware of how the game operates. What some people don't seem to get is that I don't condone or approve of it. Some Liverpool fans seem to get in a huff because I won't conform to their view on this. Well I believe he deserved time and so do Ferguson and Wenger from their comments - the longest serving managers in the league (some like to respond that they said it for the cameras cos their pals etc) so I'll insert my reply ahead of time - why did Liverpool legends who were not pals of his also argue the same thing? I've gone round and round on that anyway.

I don't know why having this view annoys so many on here, tbh. It's a discussion forum so what's wrong with having different views? Do I have to conform to the masses, many of whom unlike yourself can't even be arsed debating with me, and just want to give one line responses and rolleyes smilies, or maybe wax lyrical about 'haters hating' - which to me is the height of ignorance and equivalent to burying one's head in the sand like an ostrich - or can I actually have a view that goes against the majority? I argue my views and defend them as best I can. If some don't agree with me fair enough, that's sport. I still maintain though that Hodgson got dealt some bad hands and could have gotten some more time. I don't think that to be an unreasonable view to have frankly.

Okay, you seriously are comparing Kenny's first 7 games to Roy's? Seriously?

Kenny was only there 4 days and his coach Clarke, 3 days for Blackpool. They lost due to defensive mistakes and drew with Everton, a week later, same reason. Marked improvement from Roy's derby.

They get their teeth into the job and get 4 wins and a draw.

Whereas Roy had a Summer in the job and the Arsenal performance wasn't bad, even Ian Rush said that, link is in the super thread. The results speak for themselves after that, losing to Blackpool at home, the United Away performance was dire, only for Torres and United indiscipline would have been 0-3. 6 points, target would have been 12 out of 21!

You aren't comparing like for like, Kenny is at a disadvantage and still wins by a mile!

As for Liverpool legends, Aldridge and Rush argued he should have gone so it means nothing, some said he should stay, some he should go, so it carries no weight as they have their own minds and don't think as a collective. Liverpool "legends" is just an appeal to emotion, carries no weight when they were split on it.

Interesting point about Ron Atkinson and United fans pointing to his successes as a reason to get rid of SAF in the early days. I don't understand why they got rid of a successful manager like Ron after 4 seasons, 2 FA Cups when it meant something, 3rd and 4th place finishes. Did you get your head around that one?

One thing is for sure, the managerial merry go round has been at the fairground for years and years, hell decades, not a recent phenomenon at all, as some would like to make it out.

Yes of course I agree the manager has to get the best out of what he's got. It is a two way process though and that is a point that I feel has frequently been lost. This is something that Hodgson had to deal with - people bemoaned the results he was getting and said he was to blame, but sure Dalglish has presided over a team that has been beaten by Blackpool, drawn with Everton and drawn with Wigan and thrown away leads in the process. Those are results that would have gotten Hodgson huge stick. Does this not signify then that the Liverpool squad might be the bulk of the problem? Or are we not far off from Dalglish not being good enough either? You wouldn't know in this game. His results have been mixed from what I can see against what I'd regard as a quite fair and reasonable fixture list. Not having a pop at Dalglish by saying that because I feel the players he has, new signings aside, have been largely poor this season.

I've seen Liverpool pretty much every time they've been televised live and tbh I think there is a lot of hype going on. For instance the United game was cited as evidence Liverpool had turned a corner. 'At least there's passion now etc'. I didn't see much from Liverpool that day personally and thought both teams were poor. I saw the Wigan game recently and felt they were OK but that Wigan merited something. Carragher acknowledged that on Sky. I thought they were excellent against Chelsea. I do believe in 'new manager syndrome' myself and I think it's part of the reason chairmen get anxious and bring someone else in. In fairness to Hodgson his opening games were very tough, regardless of any new effect.

Fair enough you don't like the guy's system of play. I can understand that but I think the players have a lot of responsibility too for the results. I would ask could they have done more. I look at Liverpool's players and I certainly felt they could have done more because they are a talented bunch on paper. The sixth best squad on paper in my view and I believe the table will reflect that. Some players just didn't do enough for him. Torres, Cole, Konchesky - man he really let him down - Johnson, even Kuyt who is one of the players I really like seems poorer than previous seasons. Also he lost Mascherano and it's tough when you have fans wanting this team to be challenging for the top four with a squad like that.

The Chelsea one was probably his best result. The others are disappointing. I just feel it's flawed and suspect to make comparisons with a guy that came in under a cloud like Hodgson dealing with a lot of turmoil about ownership and players leaving and/or wanting to leave over many months, who had a very tough baptism of fire, with a guy that came in as an overwhelmingly popular choice who has been given big financial backing from great owners and who has a quite reasonable opening fixture list. There are too many variables to make such a statistical comparison imo.

Well firstly to be fair I don't think I've ignored posts. It's just hard to know which posters want to discuss it and which ones just want to call me a troll, a hater, not a real football fan, etc. It's tiresome hearing these sort of snide comments all the time.

Leaving aside all that, we actually seem to be in agreement with a lot here. Certainly in the current climate Fergie wouldn't have made it. I think he may have said this himself at one stage. He has called for clubs to give managers more time because this equates to stability and I agree with him 100% on that. Wenger has said it too.

I do think Dalglish will be given time and it looks like the owners mean business so I'm sure it will be a more stable club going forward than when Hodgson was there. All I'm saying is, that reality doesn't mean Hodgson was a poor manager or coach. In my view he got dealt some tough hands and situations and couldn't shake off that cloud he came in under. In an ideal world I think he could have taken Liverpool to the finish where they will end up, but we will never know and can only speculate because football right now, most definitely, is not ideal.

I just take issue with this notion that he's a sh*t manager. I think it was Houllier who pointed out the absurdity of how he was pretty much universally praised last year for what he did with Fulham in Europe, and yet in less than a year, half a year, he is being called a poor manager. Last week after the Chelsea game some Liverpool fans were scathing of him and said the result was proof that Dalglish can do better with the same resources. Well the Wigan game I think raises question marks about the limitations of the Liverpool squad as other results do and I don't believe that the problems Liverpool had under Hodgson are as clear-cut as some want to believe. Of course people are entitled to their own views and interpretations as I am and my view is that Hodgson hasn't gone from being a great coach, which is what I think he is, to a bad one in a couple of months.

There's been a lot of talk of 'levels' in all this. Some say Hodgson wasn't at Liverpool's level. Some say he has found his level at West Brom. My view is that both he and Liverpool were trying to find a new level and that when results got patchy, the justification for his firing was that he wasn't at the club's level. I don't think it's that simple however. I just think Liverpool are having to come to terms with being at a level unlike that of previous years, and with the growing pains that this will involve, perhaps it took an old friendly face like Dalglish to oversee that, rather than a guy like Hodgson who the fans overall never really warmed to. Just my two cents on it.

Anyways I've honestly said all I want to say on this tbh. Cheers to those who take the time to discuss it without the unnecessary comments. Nothing wrong with different viewpoints at the end of the day.

Again on results, Kenny lost to Blackpool Away 1-2, Roy at home 1-2, big difference, Roy lost to Everton Away 0-2, Kenny drew 2-2, another big difference, even on his first 2 matches. The derby Away was the start of Roy's downfall, he just didn't get the significance of the match, what it meant and how to react. Was the start of him not getting the club.

Oh, they'd lost to those Northampton at Home, just before that! Just as it isn't fair to judge Kenny kindly, there as many reasons not to judge Roy easily that either.

The United match was Roy's team, picked by him as Kenny obviously hadn't a chance to work with them. The performance wasn't all that bad considering that plus the early sending off.

Results mixed? 4 wins and 2 draws in a row in this competitive league is very excellent, hell it's top of the form table and included Chelsea Away and Everton at Home, Wigan the only disappointing result.

As for managers and more time, agreed, I think your gripe is over the wrong man tbh. Roy was always going to be a short term appointment, Rafa is the man you should be highlighting and pointing out the madness of the managerial merry go round. Kenny himself as said Suarez was one of the first players he was sent to scout when appointed by Rafa, Newcastle had an offer for £5 Million in the Summer of 09 for Carroll according to some journalists and Meireles was on the scouts radar a good while before Roy, all Rafa spots.

As for the difference in Roy and Kenny, would you be happy with Roy as Ferguson's replacement, would Chelsea take him after Ancelotti, Arsenal after Wenger, Spurs after Redknapp, City after Mancini?

Roy is what he is, what some in the press have copped onto, a good, safe choice, nothing more, nothing less. He is a good defensive coach though though there are doubts about that after Liverpool. He'll coach systems and drills and drum that into players. That isn't suited to the Liverpool squad, limited and all as it is, it isn't their strength, they can play a bit when let and encouraged. Roy never got that and never would have. He isn't a sh*t manager, he's capable, boring, a safe pair of hands, ideal for an ownership crisis, everything Rafa wasn't.

The way I see it is Roy was the wrong man at the wrong time in the wrong place. It happens from time to time, no fault of the manger, Grant at Chelsea eg. Bit like Rafa was the right man, wrong time eventually, right place which shows you the difference.

As for results again, they didn't just get patchy, they never were consistent to drop to that level, they were always patchy. 3 wins in a row was the best he got, Chelsea, Blackburn and that "famous" Away win against Bolton, our only Away win this season until Kenny's 2. Oh, only Wolves had a poorer Away record in the PL.

The fans seemed happy enough to give him the season until a long term choice came up. He had a reasonable run of games after that to keep that run going, lost to Stoke Away and in December the Wolves loss at Home, then Blackburn Away, just crowned it all off.

Anyway, in an ideal world, Roy would never have got the job, Rafa should never have gone and we'd have got our current owners 3 years ago. Hell, Kenny would never have left 20 years ago and Big Ron would still be at United continuing the successful era he had, both battling it out! Such is life.

Oh, you'll get a few dismissive replies, as you say yourself, it's a minority opinion. You have no problem coming into a couple of match threads arguing against the grain, bumps and bruises are all part of it. See you again in the next Pool thread for groundhog day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Are posters seriously trying to engage in defending Hodgson? Wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This is what happens when I pick Liverpool in the first round of a new last man standing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I happened to be at a loose end and in front of setanta, so I watched this game.

And I must say, it was bloody awful stuff. Technique, ball retention, finding space were all garbage. It was kick and chase from both sides.

I don't watch a lot of live English football, I tend to stick to the highlights, but it came as quite a shock to see how poor Liverpool have become. And from all accounts they have improved!?! :eek:

apart from Kuyt's shít technique, and Carra's occasional infatuation with hitting it over Lucas' head, i don't know what game you were watching.

and Wigan are anything but 'kick and chase'.

occasional long ball does not equal kick and chase.

so either you're completely making shít up, or we didn't watch the same game.

and this was a poor performance compared to recent ones; yet we still created enough chances to win the game.

it wasn't a dreadful game by any accounts; not brilliant, but you're being harsh on purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

apart from Kuyt's shít technique, and Carra's occasional infatuation with hitting it over Lucas' head, i don't know what game you were watching.

and Wigan are anything but 'kick and chase'.

occasional long ball does not equal kick and chase.

so either you're completely making shít up, or we didn't watch the same game.

and this was a poor performance compared to recent ones; yet we still created enough chances to win the game.

it wasn't a dreadful game by any accounts; not brilliant, but you're being harsh on purpose.

Who is 'we' by the way?

I'm not being harsh. As a neutral that game had very little going for it. The end could have gone either way to be fair, but N'Zogba in flashes aside, there was very little in the way of creative play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I haven't heard a single Liverpool fan say Roy should been given significantly more time. I have heard lots of opposition fans say he should. Kind of says it all really.

I'm not being harsh. As a neutral that game had very little going for it. The end could have gone either way to be fair, but N'Zogba in flashes aside, there was very little in the way of creative play.

N'Zogbia did barely anything, but yes, showed flashes.

as did Meireles, and most importantly, Suarez.

ok, maybe the game had little going for it - there weren't a lot of chances - but i'm just challenging to the idea that it was a 'kick and chase' game from both sides.

Liverpool tried to do the right things; it just wasn't coming off. we've improved because we are now trying the right things a lot more often.

• Advertisement
Advertisement