Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childcare Rip off in Swords

Options
  • 12-02-2011 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

I used to pay an exhorbitant amount for Baba to a "high profile" provider in Swords. I always felt that if I went to Malahide or back near the airport I would get a cheaper rate and I did.

The National Consumer Agency just proved me right:D! Swords is the most expensive place in the country, more than 50% extra than other places.

http://www.nca.ie/eng/Research_Zone/price-surveys/NCA_Childcare_Survey_PDF.pdf

How could parents in Swords start some kind of campaign for fairness? Everyone who needs childcare services is down wages and yet these leeches dont reduce their rates.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I used to pay an exhorbitant amount for Baba to a "high profile" provider in Swords. I always felt that if I went to Malahide or back near the airport I would get a cheaper rate and I did.

The National Consumer Agency just proved me right:D! Swords is the most expensive place in the country, more than 50% extra than other places.

http://www.nca.ie/eng/Research_Zone/price-surveys/NCA_Childcare_Survey_PDF.pdf

How could parents in Swords start some kind of campaign for fairness? Everyone who needs childcare services is down wages and yet these leeches dont reduce their rates.

Thanks, had a feeling it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

I don't understand why Swords is more expensive than Malahide for example? Always thought the more expensive the area the more expensive the childcare would be. Is it because there's more demand in Swords because of the population than other parts of Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

It's free Market capitalism. You can't make them lower their prices anymore than you can make Harvey Norman reduce the costs of sofa's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Jimdagym wrote: »
    It's free Market capitalism. You can't make them lower their prices anymore than you can make Harvey Norman reduce the costs of sofa's.

But Harvey Norman always has a Sale:D

The typical defence for these companies is that your entrusting your baby care to other people so if you want the best care for your kids you have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

why do parents always give out about childcare prices. they never have problems paying to get their houses done up or paying for flashy cars. also what makes you think that just because a creche is part of a chain or brand name its going to better then the owner operated one down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

neris wrote: »
    why do parents always give out about childcare prices. they never have problems paying to get their houses done up or paying for flashy cars. also what makes you think that just because a creche is part of a chain or brand name its going to better then the owner operated one down the road.

Why do we always give out. Because the price of a small child or baby is approaching the cost of another mortgage. Because in other countries there is a recognition in the tax code that kids are needed for society to function so the costs are regulated. Because Swords has had a cozy cartel of self publicists who came in from other businesses knowing they would make a killing. Becuase, since everyone's wages got hammered there has been NO EFFORT to bring down the costs.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No-one has "given out" about childcare prices per se in this thread - they have simply complained that it is more expensive in Swords than elsewhere

You also are not in a position to comment about whether any posters hare have "flashy cars" or have paid to have their "houses done up"

Similarly no-one has mentioned "brand names" as an issue - simply that a "high profile" one had been used previously

To me, in these recessionary times, perhaps it's a business opportunity for someone to come in and undercut existing suppliers (although start-up costs are likely to be prohibitive, particularly when the banks are reluctant to lend to business start-ups)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Beasty wrote: »
    To me, in these recessionary times, perhaps it's a business opportunity for someone to come in and undercut existing suppliers (although start-up costs are likely to be prohibitive, particularly when the banks are reluctant to lend to business start-ups)

Tesco? Get them young!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

The remark about the cars was a general remark and not aimed at anyone here and brand should have read "high profile".

With regards to the comments of cartels, killings and no effort to reduce prices, they are very unfair remarks. Creches have certain costs that they have no control over. Staff wages being the major 1. Each room in a creche has to have a certain amount of staff to children i:e 3 babies = 1 staff 4,5 & 6 babies = 2 staff. If the creche are found to have 1 person looking after 6 babies they get in trouble because they are in breach of regulations and being understaffed. You cant good staff in a creche for the minimum wage. Some creches have rates to pay like any other business and the councils dont want to know or care how much they charge you they just want their money. ome of the creches built in the last few yaers were built with tax incentives so are owned by landlords who wont reduce the rent. im sure alot of creches have done alot to try reduce their costs but there are costs they just cant get down.

Creches in one area will have similar fee structures just like your local supermarket sells bread at a similar price to the supermarket down the road. Are supermarkets creating cartels? As for the tax issue you cannot blame the creche for that. Childcare providers have been at governments over taxes and rates but to no avail except for the ecce scheme when a child is 3.5 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

The remark about the cars was a general remark and not aimed at anyone here and brand should have read "high profile".

With regards to the comments of cartels, killings and no effort to reduce prices, they are very unfair remarks. Creches have certain costs that they have no control over. Staff wages being the major 1. Each room in a creche has to have a certain amount of staff to children i:e 3 babies = 1 staff 4,5 & 6 babies = 2 staff. If the creche are found to have 1 person looking after 6 babies they get in trouble because they are in breach of regulations and being understaffed. You cant good staff in a creche for the minimum wage. Some creches have rates to pay like any other business and the councils dont want to know or care how much they charge you they just want their money. ome of the creches built in the last few yaers were built with tax incentives so are owned by landlords who wont reduce the rent. im sure alot of creches have done alot to try reduce their costs but there are costs they just cant get down.

Creches in one area will have similar fee structures just like your local supermarket sells bread at a similar price to the supermarket down the road. Are supermarkets creating cartels? As for the tax issue you cannot blame the creche for that. Childcare providers have been at governments over taxes and rates but to no avail except for the ecce scheme when a child is 3.5 years old.

Wow, a rip-off apologist!

My remarks are only unfair if you can show them to be untrue.

Tell your story about costs walking.

Minimum wage was thrown down by Fianna Fail at the last budget, there are thousands of people with a level 5 or level 6 qual who would take up work. You only need half your staff to be paid like millionaires and btw have a moany cow look on their faces when you fight through traffic to reach them at 5.55pm.

Look around Swords there are hundreds of suitable properties with no tenant that could be got for lower rates. No effort to move.

Yes, the supermarkets were proven to be creating cartels in this country on two occasions.

How do you account for the distotion of prices in Swords, other than the domination of a small number of RichQuicks who all entered the business in the last 6 years.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Wow, a rip-off apologist!
    Cut out the personal comments
    My remarks are only unfair if you can show them to be untrue.
    It's not necessary for something to be untrue for it also to be unfair

Based on the topic in question I am assuming posters are adults, so let's discuss it in an adult fashion. Otherwise it may be locked and/or infractions/bans issued

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 6 oneworld01

Original post - "The National Consumer Agency just proved me right! Swords is the most expensive place in the country, more than 50% extra than other places."

I queried this with the NCA after I read the survey - anyone else, feel free to do the same - it turned out that they only 'sampled' the entire country - ie they didnt go into much detail. They chose Swords out of all north Dublin - city and county. Didnt survey Malahide, Portmarnock, Lusk, Rush, Skerries, or closer to the city. Just Swords. So it doesnt mean Swords is dearer than Malahide for childcare (phone around, it isnt thankfully), just that north Dublin is dearer than the rest of the country. That includes the city, and all of Fingal. The survey also says that Dublin 6 & 6W are expensive areas. What it doesnt say is that it did not survey Dublin 2,4,8,10,12, 14 and 16, so anyone having a heart attack in Dublin 6 over the cost of childcare - relax.

I had intended to use the survey as part of research but was very disappointed when I found out how small a target base they had actually used. Disappointing from the National Consumer Agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Lies, damn lies , statistics...

At least the OP did the right thing in this case which is: if you don't like the price - shop elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

From my knowledge community creach give a reduction to parents if they are in receipt of certain sw payments. It might be worth looking at a community creach if anyone is having trouble paying. .i know I wanted to put my daughter into a creach for 2 mornings a week and thy can't do that. I would have to pay. €100 for 3 days which is a lot of money. HTH

Advertisement