Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael to ban below cost selling of alcohol

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Mark200 wrote: »
    Silly thing to say to be fair... I doubt you'd support a purely free market, where there is no regulation.

It's not one or the other. There's plenty of space in between.

Gotta laugh at all the people who seem like they're having an out of control fit of anger over the idea that alcohol in the supermarkets may be a euro more expensive. I don't agree with the policy, but cop on like. Things like claiming they've been bribed into making this policy are embarrassing for those who come out with that crap.

Not as silly as the bullshìt you've posted above. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's very much open to abuse going on past example. Your tipping the scales in someones favour for no good reason. Publicans don't make such a contribution to Irish society that we should tweak the system to prevent competition. This is how price driven markets breed evolution and change supposedly.

I'm tipping the scales in everyone's favour. The problem with the market is that it's entirely myopic when it comes to defining success. Humans are too. So, incredibly cheap food and other commodities are jumped upon and welcomed wholeheartedly, until at some point down the line, this so called competition has destroyed town centres, and driven all the rest of the competition out of business, leaving huge monopolising retail behemoths to divide the market between them. That's what I have a problem with. I think all below cost sellign should be prohibited, not just that of alcohol.
    There should always be free speech if they don't like it everyone has the right not to listen.

People don't, and shouldn't have the right, to spread deliberate lies about others. Neither do they, nor should they, have the right to cry fire in a crowded space. Speech is never truly free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

As someone said , this is just going to cause a massive reason for people to shop up North again.

Supermarkets use these 'loss promotions' too get people into there shop and buy other things. Or go up too see what deals they might have in the shop.

Putting down a Minimum price is just going to see a massive exit from the state into the North.

Cause guess what ? The supermarkets up there do ' loss promotions ' , so if you can save money on cheap beer up there and get the weekly shop done all in one. If this happens, there might even be something along the lines of a 'beer run' , which will see people just go up the North to buy beer, so that will totally **** up anything down here.

Pubs/Offo's , should drop there prices or make them in line with the supermarket promotions running at the time. So there is no difference in price, then if the person comes in, buys the 6 Tuborg @ €5 , and decides they want a bottle of Vodka and 2 Litres of coke, well there is some profit to be made on Vodka and Coke. Or run a promotion that's not in the supermarkets, competitions ; buy 6 cans of fosters and be entered into a draw to win 48 cans of fosters (one of the top of my head).

There is just no thinking from the publicans , they just moan . They adjusted the hours of the licensing laws to suit them and managed to piss everyone in Ireland off doing so. They should extent bar hours to 2am so last orders 1:30am all week, offo hours till midnight all week. Most supermarkets close before that or at 10pm, so that's a 2 more hours of trade over the supermarkets.

If people are drinking and decide they want more drink they can go the local publican offo to get some cans from him.

I'll give an example. I finished work at 10PM, last orders is at 11PM . I was thinking , I wouldn't pint a few pints. But, I said to myself there is no point in hell I am going around the pub for an hour. So I didn't drink. So there is a loss to the local pub right there.

On another note, if people choose to drink like an alcoholic , it's there problem. We are not in the stone age, we all know the effects of drinking, know that we should drink in moderation. Dicating to people when/where we should drink/get our drink has no stance from the government. We should be able to choose when and where we drink, who supply's it and what time I want to start at.

I just think this would be a very bad idea on so many levels, and mark my words. If this triggers shopping in the North again, there will be serious job loses, Offo's , Pubs and Supermarkets will be hit with job loses.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Einhard wrote: »
    I'm tipping the scales in everyone's favour. The problem with the market is that it's entirely myopic when it comes to defining success. Humans are too. So, incredibly cheap food and other commodities are jumped upon and welcomed wholeheartedly, until at some point down the line, this so called competition has destroyed town centres, and driven all the rest of the competition out of business, leaving huge monopolising retail behemoths to divide the market between them. That's what I have a problem with. I think all below cost sellign should be prohibited, not just that of alcohol.

If that's what you really want, why not just ban large supermarkets?

This regulation is impossible to enforce. What is cost? If I'm Tescos, I can just set up a subsidiary selling bundles of milk and beer, chocolate and vodka etc. How much does 5L of beer cost when it's bundled with 5L of milk?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lumen wrote: »
    If that's what you really want, why not just ban large supermarkets?

This regulation is impossible to enforce. What is cost? If I'm Tescos, I can just set up a subsidiary selling bundles of milk and beer, chocolate and vodka etc. How much does 5L of beer cost when it's bundled with 5L of milk?
    If you were to mix the beer and milk you would get 10L of a horrible drink, but at an alcohol level of 2.5% the excise duty would be less than €2 on the whole lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

enda kenny is a tool. I wont say what i think his mam shud have done before he was born

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Sorry for the bumping but I'm just not 100% sure on "below cost". I get it means if you buy something for 2 euro and sell it for less it's below cost.

But what about when the companies have things like "7 cans for the price of 6" or something? Is that below cost since it's clearly marked on the pack by the company and not the shop that's selling it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

Not sure what the plans of the other parties are but Fine Gael are planning on banning the below cost selling of alcohol, this is yet another protectionist approach to the market that only ends up with the consumer being penalised.

Page 24 of this document "Extra VAT yield from banning below cost selling of alcohol"
    http://www.finegael2011.com/pdf/LessWasteLowerTaxesStrongerGrowth.pdf
    bet it will be still cheap in the dail bar where all the scum politicans gather and talk about us pesents as they look on us where they all sit an drink into the early hours and tell us to go home early a yea the same ol thing one law for the rich and another for us pesents hold on till i pour another whiskey an light a fag i bought some cheap off a dealer **** the politicans...:mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sorry for the bumping but I'm just not 100% sure on "below cost". I get it means if you buy something for 2 euro and sell it for less it's below cost.
    It means not selling it for less that the distributor charges you for it.

Some of the cost is for marketing
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/health/2010/0914/1224278817660.html
    Last year, more than €68 million was spent on advertising both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks products using traditional advertising techniques. Diageo spent more than €18 million on advertising in 2009, while Heineken spent more than €11 million.
    I'm assuming more would be spent too on non-traditional methods too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Just found out about this....

http://reginadoherty.blogspot.com/2011/01/ban-on-below-cost-selling-of-alcohol.html

^im surprised there arent more comments on the above article tbh..

**** Fine Gael...

• Advertisement
Advertisement