Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stable isotopes and animal migration tracking

Options
  • 12-02-2011 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi all, hope I'm posting in the right forum for this, basically I have to read a few research papers for a project on this, problem is, I'm not sure I totally understand how this works to track animals. Google etc hasn't helped, so was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for info for this, I can't start reading the papers if I don't even know how this works!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Is this to do with analysis of - say - Oxygen isotopes in teeth? The relative abundance of different oxygen isotopes varies with geography. Growing teeth and bones incorporate oxygen, and so acquire a signature of the local geography. By looking at an animal's oxygen isotope signature, you can see whether or not it matches the environment in which the animal was found. This tells you if it has moved from the place where it was born & / or grew up.

Wikipedia's isotope analysis page gives an introduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

gypsy_rose wrote: »
    Hi all, hope I'm posting in the right forum for this, basically I have to read a few research papers for a project on this, problem is, I'm not sure I totally understand how this works to track animals. Google etc hasn't helped, so was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for info for this, I can't start reading the papers if I don't even know how this works!
    Thanks

Are you looking at say trophic enrichment, e.g. small fish eaten by a big fish which is eaten by a bigger fish? It depends on what isotopes you're looking for as well. δ13C and C/N ratios can be used to discriminate between C3 and C4 metabolising plants, along with terrestrial and marine sources of organic carbon. It can be used for provenance studies of sediments and plants in this regard. This article can show you how useful stable isotopes can be...;)

Advertisement