Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a better mobile price plan

Options
  • 12-02-2011 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I am looking to move to a better price plan on my mobile. I'm with o2 and my last bill managed to make it to €236 for the month!

Now, it's completely my fault. I do appreciate the o2 deal that I'm with at the moment - €60 a month with unlimited internet access, free calls every evening from 6pm and on weekends and some amount of free texts (not sure how many but I never go over my text limit) - but it's not working for me cost-wise.

The reason my bill is so big is because I tend to ring people during the day. I know it's a bad idea, but I can't help myself.

So - I was wondering if there's a phone package out there (any network) which will still give me the free internet, but will also allow me to add, maybe, five friends that I can call any time for free (like Vodafone does) with a reasonable enough base price!

These friends are all on different networks though - so I really don't know if this is feasible at all. Honestly, even if I could add one friend as a free contact, it would make a big difference in my bill.

I'm liking Viber btw - it's the way of the future, but I don't have enough friends on it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Why not have a look at Meteor' Bill Pay Max for €85 a month, and now €75 online. If you like what you see & sign up you can get a further 25% by downloading the voucher available at www.hss.groupscheme.com. You will have to extend your contract by 6 months, but to me that is a no brainer compared to the value you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Well if you wanted to stick with o2, you could switch to business and get unlimited calls and texts to any number at anytime mobiles and landlines included for €83. Then €10 on top of that for the internet add on. So would be €93, that includes vat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

Well 3 offer unlimited for 95 a month with 2gb data while meteor off unlimited and 1gb data for 75 a month if you sign up online. Vodafone have an offer of 300mins 300texts and 1gb data plus unlimited vf calls/texts or free calls/texts to any 5 numbers of your choice for 60 month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Davy wrote: »
    Well if you wanted to stick with o2, you could switch to business and get unlimited calls and texts to any number at anytime mobiles and landlines included for €83. Then €10 on top of that for the internet add on. So would be €93, that includes vat.

I wasn't aware of that o2 business plan. Does sound good. Ideally, I'd like to be only spending a maximum of €60 a month; but realistically, anything under €100 is still far better than what I'm doing now.

racer1 wrote: »
    Well 3 offer unlimited for 95 a month with 2gb data while meteor off unlimited and 1gb data for 75 a month if you sign up online. Vodafone have an offer of 300mins 300texts and 1gb data plus unlimited vf calls/texts or free calls/texts to any 5 numbers of your choice for 60 month.

Definitely, definitely - of all the things I want, unlimited internet access is paramount.

• Advertisement

racer1 wrote: »

Oh - and those free calls / texts are only Vodafone to Vodafone I believe. Or am I wrong? Cheers though. I am starting to think 3. I believe Tesco Mobile is in Ireland anymore too. Haven't heard any feedback but it could be another option!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

3 offer 2gb data but have a free add on which gives u another 2gb. Vodafone calls/texts to 5 numbers is any network.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

xoxyx wrote: »
    Oh - and those free calls / texts are only Vodafone to Vodafone I believe. Or am I wrong? Cheers though. I am starting to think 3. I believe Tesco Mobile is in Ireland anymore too. Haven't heard any feedback but it could be another option!?!

Tesco dont do billpay so not an option. Here are the other networks

Network Sites

Cheers Davy. Didn't realise Tesco Mobile doesn't do billpay. What I've heard of Tesco Mobile though is that, if you buy €10 credit, you get €10 free, so, at 20c per minute mobile to mobile, you're effectively getting 10c per minute costs. Looking at my O2 bill breakdown, I'm being charged about 25c for minutes outside of my free calls.

Thinking Tesco Mobile for the day, and O2 for the rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

If you have unlimited internet can't you use skype or other voip? Or does O2 block that? Can you use VPN to get around their blocking? (am guessing no unfortunately)

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    If you have unlimited internet can't you use skype or other voip? Or does O2 block that? Can you use VPN to get around their blocking? (am guessing no unfortunately)

I recently discovered Viber which gives free calls iPhone to iPhone and is apparently coming to Android in March. It's great for me, but my biggest phone call person is Android. Plus, as far as I know, as he's not on unlimited internet access, he'll be charged for even received calls (althought it will be grand when he's got access to WiFi). Does Skype have the same affliction re. data usage do you know?

I reckon these things are the way of the future, but I've been told that mobile phone operators are getting rid of their unlimited internet access packages for that very reason. Even so, it would still probably be cheaper? I used to stay up to date with things like this, but I've let Skype & co. completely pass me by!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ultimate Flex Max is a way better deal than o2 offers across any tarrif including business and you can get 4GB of Data with it. Which is more than the "unlimited" 3GB of data your currently getting from o2.
    No need to worry about skype and the rest as you can just use your phone as much as you want to call anybody in the Ireland or the UK.

You would probably get away with Mega Flex Max which would set you back €70pm including Vat. It's also possible to set a credit limit on your account so that you can never get a big bill like your last one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

emobile do a prepay offer for 10euro a week you get unlimited calls and texts to all networks, might be worth a look. Not sure about their data.

Actually with unlimited data included its 15euro a week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

xoxyx wrote: »
    I recently discovered Viber which gives free calls iPhone to iPhone and is apparently coming to Android in March. It's great for me, but my biggest phone call person is Android. Plus, as far as I know, as he's not on unlimited internet access, he'll be charged for even received calls (althought it will be grand when he's got access to WiFi). Does Skype have the same affliction re. data usage do you know?

I reckon these things are the way of the future, but I've been told that mobile phone operators are getting rid of their unlimited internet access packages for that very reason. Even so, it would still probably be cheaper? I used to stay up to date with things like this, but I've let Skype & co. completely pass me by!

Yeah using internet for calls is what we all want, however the mobile companies DO NOT WANT :) Am pretty sure O2 block this stuff :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This post has been deleted.

As long as people stay with Vodafone and o2 we won't have any competition here. A few smart people are moving but not until there's an avalanche of customers leaving them will we see the 2 incumbents start to offer good deals that will force 3 to up it's game even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Definitely agree with D.M on this one.

Three got my bill down from o2's 260 or so a month, to 95 a month.

Unlimited calls and texts to any Irish numbers, and 10,000 flexi units (so 5000 min) to call uk mobiles and landlines.

2gb internet included.

sure ya couldn't beat it with a big thorny one lol :D

Advertisement