Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lawn turf companies

Options
  • 12-02-2011 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi going to put a lawn down in march and was wondering has anyone had any dealings with lawn companies in galway?
    Has anyone who has had there lawns laid tell me of the pro's and con's of this type of lawn?
    Also how to prep the ground for works as the ground in my back garden hasn't got good drainage and is moss laden, if anyone could give me information it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

stee.mc79 wrote: »
    Hi going to put a lawn down in march and was wondering has anyone had any dealings with lawn companies in galway?
    Has anyone who has had there lawns laid tell me of the pro's and con's of this type of lawn?
    Also how to prep the ground for works as the ground in my back garden hasn't got good drainage and is moss laden, if anyone could give me information it would be greatly appreciated.

B&Q may have a store near you... they used have turf on specified Days of the week that is if you are looking for small area.... If its a larger Area you would be better of finding the Grower... And Most growers might deliver to your area or close to... The only Growers I know off are in Summerhill (Meath) and Wexford...

I would say you need to sort out your Drainage and any shade issues? before laying this lawn..else your moss will quickly return...

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holuc

der a company called martins in galway. cant remember where dey r. only major con of turf is the cost really but i tink it cancelled out by how well it looks.

as for moss not a whole lot u can do. sort ur drainage den give 2 helpings of iron every yr (feb and oct)

dont go near b&q.. too dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stee.mc79

holuc wrote: »
    der a company called martins in galway. cant remember where dey r. only major con of turf is the cost really but i tink it cancelled out by how well it looks.

as for moss not a whole lot u can do. sort ur drainage den give 2 helpings of iron every yr (feb and oct)

dont go near b&q.. too dear.

Have you used that company was looking at there web site. Are they any good? Going sorting out drainage before putting turf down. I think it's mainly to do with the soil the developer used on the estate it holds onto the moisture it's more of a heavy clay he used.

Havent used them myself (i live in the north-east) but i heard dey r good. ur estate is prob like mine. its more compaction below the topsoil level than the type off clay. d builder never ripped the subsoil after all the digger were finished workin. we left wit a pan undereath about 4 inches from surface that the water sits on, and can go nowhere only up. our garden cant be walked on durin d winter months. major drainage job to fix (work wise!!) money wise not 2 bad if ya can get ur hands on a mini digger.;)

Havent used them myself (i live in the north-east) but i heard dey r good. ur estate is prob like mine. its more compaction below the topsoil level than the type off clay. d builder never ripped the subsoil after all the digger were finished workin. we left wit a pan undereath about 4 inches from surface that the water sits on, and can go nowhere only up. our garden cant be walked on durin d winter months. major drainage job to fix (work wise!!) money wise not 2 bad if ya can get ur hands on a mini digger.;)
    We've about 6 inches of compacted soil holds onto the water all year long. The soil is also sitting on top of compacted stone will I need to remove some of the stone aswell? have a small digger organised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Coming in here late, but perhaps you should consider using a rotovator instead to turn sod and remove compacted stone. You may need a heavy duty (diesel powered) rotovator, but this machine will do a much better job than a mini digger, which is likely to cause more compaction and/or remove too much material which you will have to backfill.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Have you used that company was looking at there web site. Are they any good? Going sorting out drainage before putting turf down. I think it's mainly to do with the soil the developer used on the estate it holds onto the moisture it's more of a heavy clay he used.

Highly Rec Martins have used them a lot always fresh, weed free and on time ;)

We've about 6 inches of compacted soil holds onto the water all year long. The soil is also sitting on top of compacted stone will I need to remove some of the stone aswell? have a small digger organised

There lies ur prob. water cant get away. ur best bet is 2 put drains in d garden. id try break up the stone give a bit of space 4 water to run down thru. strip d topsoil back mound to 1 side, rip some of the stone, put in ur drains then re-level top soil & do the other side. try not 2 track to much with the digger tho!!

There lies ur prob. water cant get away. ur best bet is 2 put drains in d garden. id try break up the stone give a bit of space 4 water to run down thru. strip d topsoil back mound to 1 side, rip some of the stone, put in ur drains then re-level top soil & do the other side. try not 2 track to much with the digger tho!!

Ya what I was thinking is take away the soil and some of the stone, lay some 1/4in waste pipe, pipe it through the back wall cover the pipe with sand then Topsoil hopefully that should solve the drainage problem! Also try have something to collect the water for the summer! Its a lot of drilling and bodging.

when u say pipe it thru the back wall wot u mean? is it gonna b piped in2 existing drains or jus on2 wasteground? if it on2 wasteground make sure put in a big soak pit at the end. all this advice and i still havent sorted my own garden!!:P a 1+1/4 inch waste pipe wont do the job as the water cant drain in2 it. u need 2 get at least a 3inch (75mm)land drainage pipe. you also need half inch drainage stone under and around the pipe then pea gravel on top of this then ur sand!!

• Advertisement

Here's a web page I found
    www.completehome.ie/Page/Tips/24/
    Don't know how to link web pages on boards yet!:confused:

dats a good site. plenty of info explains it all very well. time for some digging now!!

Advertisement