Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Hospital

• 12-02-2011 5:50pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just a quick question, I'm currently 10 weeks pregnant, and have already booked my pregnancy in one hospital. I had my bloods done there on Thursday of this week (bleugh), and had a viability scan about a fortnight ago (I had a small amount of bleeding). The hospital where I'm booked is a fair bit away from where I live and work, which I didn't really consider at the time of booking, but since I've been in for a couple of appointments I'm realising just how difficult it is for me to get in an out, not to mention trying to get parked anywhere nearby, which is a complete nightmare. I was hoping to transfer to another hospital closer to me. I rang my insurance company to check would this be a problem for them, and they said no, so from that point of view I'm not worried, I'm just wondering would it be a whole lot of hassle?

Has anyone else done this and how did it work out? My husband reckons that because I'm still at such an early stage it shouldn't be too much hassle. I just wanted to see if anyone else could share their experience before I go ahead and do it only to find that it's going to be messy.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Are you private/semi-private? Might be no availability left for either in the other hospital so I'd ring asap to check, don't mention being a patient of the other hospital when you ring the new hospital...

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

January wrote: »
    Are you private/semi-private? Might be no availability left for either in the other hospital so I'd ring asap to check, don't mention being a patient of the other hospital when you ring the new hospital...

I'm semi-private. I called the other hospital on Thursday and they said there was no problem with availability. I let on that I was still at the researching hospitals phase.

Well I'd ring first thing Monday morning and change then, you may not get another scan until the anomaly stage though (20 weeks usually).

ETA: There shouldn't be a problem, the new hospital will want to do their own bloods again though, which shouldn't affect anything. It's just to have them on the file.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Oh gross, I was hoping I could just use the results from the old hospital! Gah, looks like more fainting for me :(

Agh... do you faint because you are nervous? or is your blood sugar low?

• Advertisement

I have an utterly crippling fear of blood and veins. IVs and blood tests are pretty much a disaster for me. I nearly made it through the bloods last week but fainted at the end and was totally out of it! The joys!!!

Advertisement