Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC phone line for sky multi room

• 12-02-2011 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

hi,just a quick question,i have sky HD and multi room,i have eircom land line connected to all the boxes for them to make a call back,i am think of moving to UPC for their broadband.
    Can you please tell me if their phone line will make call backs,so i don't have to pay line rental to eircom.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

It does work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 murf10

thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

murf10 wrote: »
    hi,just a quick question,i have sky HD and multi room,i have eircom land line connected to all the boxes for them to make a call back,i am think of moving to UPC for their broadband.
    Can you please tell me if their phone line will make call backs,so i don't have to pay line rental to eircom.
    Thank you.

On Sky boxes in the phone settings if you are on any provider apart from Eircom you may need to enter a dialing prefix.

Just ring Sky and ask them the prefix.
    This only needs to be done once on all your boxes.

cheers :D
    Ranicand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Ranicand wrote: »
    On Sky boxes in the phone settings if you are on any provider apart from Eircom you may need to enter a dialing prefix.

Just ring Sky and ask them the prefix.
    This only needs to be done once on all your boxes.

That's actually not correct unless you are using a "carrier preselect" service i.e. something like UTV Internet/Phone, Vodafone Ireland, etc etc who use eircom's voice exchanges to route their calls.

They can use the prefix 13666 to force the call back over the eircom network.

However, if you are using UPC or, a service like Smart Telecom's unbundled service, or Digiweb metro's phone service you are not using an eircom exchange and you are connected directly to that carrier's equipment. The codes and prefixes in use are not necessarily the same as eircom. So, if you add standard prefixes, your Sky Box may be dialing invalid numbers.

Normally, there should be no prefixes at all, just dial the number as normal. Carrier pre-select 13XXX prefixes only work on eircom exchanges.

If your Caller ID is not blocked by default i.e. people can normally see your number when you are calling, then there is nothing to worry about.

If you normally withhold your number by default, you may need to contact UPC to find out how to activate that on a per-call basis and use that prefix with sky.

I'm not sure that the usual eircom prefix, 142, works on UPC equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Solair wrote: »
    That's actually not correct unless you are using a "carrier preselect" service i.e. something like UTV Internet/Phone, Vodafone Ireland, etc etc who use eircom's voice exchanges to route their calls.

They can use the prefix 13666 to force the call back over the eircom network.

However, if you are using UPC or, a service like Smart Telecom's unbundled service, or Digiweb metro's phone service you are not using an eircom exchange and you are connected directly to that carrier's equipment. The codes and prefixes in use are not necessarily the same as eircom. So, if you add standard prefixes, your Sky Box may be dialing invalid numbers.

Normally, there should be no prefixes at all, just dial the number as normal. Carrier pre-select 13XXX prefixes only work on eircom exchanges.

If your Caller ID is not blocked by default i.e. people can normally see your number when you are calling, then there is nothing to worry about.

If you normally withhold your number by default, you may need to contact UPC to find out how to activate that on a per-call basis and use that prefix with sky.

I'm not sure that the usual eircom prefix, 142, works on UPC equipment.

Ok what he said.
    Now Sky installers will not have a clue about any of this nor will most other people.
    That is why the UPC line works for some and not others.
    So 142 for UPC and the callbacks will happen.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Ranicand wrote: »
    Ok what he said.
    Now Sky installers will not have a clue about any of this nor will most other people.
    That is why the UPC line works for some and not others.
    So 142 for UPC and the callbacks will happen.:)

You might actually need to ensure that there are no prefixes in use at all.

Call yourself from your landline on your mobile phone, if the phone number displays, then you should ensure there are no prefixes at all.

To access menus :

Ensure your Digibox is on and you can see it on the TV.
    Press Sky on the remote control then:

SERVICES
    SELECT

Go to :
    Telephone Settings
    Delete any dialing prefixes.

If your caller ID is normally blocked, you need to call UPC on 1908 to get the prefix to unblock it on a per-call basis. I am not sure what that code is or if it even exists.

On eircom, Smart and Blueface's network:

Prefix number with 141 to force hide the caller ID for this call only.
    Prefix number with 142 to force display the caller ID for this call only.

You could also try the North American codes, some VoIP equipment uses these.

*82 is the prefix in this case (try dialing your mobile and see if it works before programming it on your sky box)

The UK code is 1470, this could also do the trick...

cheers, Solias:)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deano_rich

Hi, Sorry for dragging up an old thread, I seem to be having the same problem.

I have a Sky HD box in one room, and a Sky + box in another. I have the UPC phone service (it's a Cisco modem). I can't seem to get a call back on either boxes when connected into either tele 1 or tele 2 on the cisco.

The tests fails :( and displays "modem not connected please contact support".:mad:

I would like to know if anyone has found a way around this? Is it sky who's at fault or UPC?
    I live in Dublin 5.

Does anyone else have this issue.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Using 13666 worked fir me. I'm with digiweb dsl.
    Sky installers couldn't get a call back so I found this thread, used that number now everything is grand. Thanks again boards! Geniuses that you are!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Does anyone know if the UPC line doesn't work with the sky box when installing can you just pay the Total one-off cost of €37.50 there and then or will they cancel the install.

Advertisement