Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Satellite & DTT - install options ?

• 12-02-2011 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

I'm setting up a satellite dish over the next few weeks and have begun looking at my options

It seems that the Humax FOXSAT-HDR Freesat+ 320GB is the best satellite box out there at the moment to cover the english channels giving you the sky+ box type functionality.

- How easy is it to move items from the internal HDD and get them onto a PC for burning onto a DVD ? Or could I run it through my HDD/DVD recorder ?
    - There does not seem to be a normal aerial type connection that would allow me hook up my analogue aerial (Irish) channels allowing for some degree of integration over the short term

My problem is how to cope with the other half of my viewing requirements i.e. the Irish channels. Currently I have an aerial connected to a HDD/DVD recorder which would still be a viable option. Situation changes though when we move to DTT only transmissions which would then require new equipment.
    So although the Humax is a great box is it really only good now in the short term ? Once analogue get switched off then is get either a new telly with mpeg4 or else another decoder is needed. Perhaps I need to go for a Combo now

Of the combos its easy to get a straight forward 1 DVB-S and 1 DVB-T tuner. Looking for something with the functionality of the Sky+/Humax is more difficult.
    The Technomate TM-7100 HD with 3 turners seems to be one of the few. Big jump in price up at €450 plus the need to a HDD. Is the short-terms financial pain worth the long term usage and immediate integration ?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been faced with this and I would be interested to hear what people ultimately went in terms of equipment and why

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Ain't technology a pain.
    There seems to be no simple one box solution, unless you like lining Mr. Murdoch's pockets:mad:
    The TM7102 triple tuner is good, and pricey, but you have manually set timers for recordings, a 7 day epg is available, but tricky.
    So until some genius manages to crack it all, it will always be complicated, but always possible with effort.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

Big problem with all of this is that in Ireland we have a unique set of requirements needing both satellite and DTT (pity Saorview isn't going on Sat as well !!). So I doubt there will ever be a consumer model with consumer prices. To get this sat and DTT combination including Sky+ functionality you are looking at high end equipment.

Didn't realise the TM7102 still needs timer recording as opposed to off the EPG. Damn for that kinda of money I would want all the bells and whistles!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

bifl wrote: »
    pity Saorview isn't going on Sat as well !!). !

it is , just not the same one as the bbc channels are on . :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 judgexfactor

The VU+ Duo supports a USB terrestrial stick, giving you 3 tuners. 2 for sat & 1 for Irish channels.

Advertisement