Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think Ireland will ever go all out Eurodance for Eurovision?

• 12-02-2011 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

It's very obvious to me, maybe others disagree with this of course, but imo it's extremely obvious that in order to win Eurovision in this day and age or do very well in it, you have to write basically the type of pop song which does well in underage discos. Simple Am F C G chord progression, fast beat, lots of keyboard-synth instruments and an incredibly flashy performance in terms of dance, clothes, and lighting effects.

Now you can argue that this isn't real music if you want, and to a point I'd agree (it is real music but it's imo far too uniform, too default, too simple) but the fact is that it seems to be these songs which win.

In short, we need to start writing mainstream teenage dance music rather than serious, deep ballads if we want to win this thing.

Jedward is possibly a step in this direction but I think the song is too bassy, it lacks the defining element of euro pop which is essentially harmony. The song is all bassline and vocals, there's no lead keyboard hook. So for that reason I'm not too sure if it matches this 'formula', although it was the closest of all the acts we had to choose from.

Anyone agree with this analysis?

NOTE: I'm a musician myself, I'm NOT trying to start a debate about whether this is actually decent music or not, everyone has their own opinion and IMO this kind of generic dance gets old. But it wins Eurovision. Unique, deep and powerful music does not, it would seem. And we need to let go of that past if we want to do well here. We need to cast aside our pride for once and write something commercial.

Discuss?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

No one gives a crap about Eurovision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Ah Cmajor's such a boring key, do it in Eb or something with a bit of a kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

It's a myth that eurodance / pop always wins Eurovision. Look at the last 5 winners of Eurovision - not a dance track among them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Ireland don't want to win it,that's why they sent Jedward ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

hiscan wrote: »
    Ireland don't want to win it,that's why they sent Jedward ;)
    Am I the only non 12 year old girl in Ireland who voted for Jedward yesterday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

The only chance Ireland will ever have of winning the Eurovision is if we wedge the whole country in between the Ukraine and Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    But are you a 12 year old girl at heart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

jesus wept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I don't know where this idea that former soviet countries win it every time comes from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Eurovision_Song_Contest_winners

I only count 4 in the whole history of the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

brummytom wrote: »
    Ah Cmajor's such a boring key, do it in Eb or something with a bit of a kick.

Boring is the word, but alas it is boring, formulaic music which seems to do well in EV these days...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Jedward are going to it this year, so obviously yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

that little hottie German won it last year, that wasn't Eurodance or whatever you call it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    that little hottie German won it last year, that wasn't Eurodance or whatever you call it

No, it was because she was a little hottie.

Niamh Kavanagh didn't stand a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

No that was sex appeal.
    And I could be wrong, but Jedward don't really qualify on that score :P
    Unless your biggest voting demographic are adolescent girls :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

sdonn wrote: »
    No, it was because she was a little hottie.

Niamh Kavanagh didn't stand a chance.

Well it was a decent song aswell. I'd f**k Jedward though, and I'm straight. They look like pretty girls to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Eurodance songs do well sometimes but very rarely win. Looking back over the last few winners:

2004 - Weird Ukranian tribal pop-rock-folk hybrid
    2005 - Kinda Eurodancy, but also with traditional Greek instruments
    2006 - Finnish metal
    2007 - Big ballad, the type of song Ireland used win with.
    2008 - R&B boyband-type ballad
    2009 - Violin pop-folk thing
    2010 - Pop/Indie pop/German Kate Nash

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Looking at the list of previous winners - Israel has won it 3 times.

Israel is not even in Europe. It's not even near Europe, it's in the Middle East in Asia. Atleast you can say Turkey is in Europe (a little part of it) and Russia is in Europe (the western half) but Israel doesn't even touch off a country that is in Europe, wtf like? If Israel are in Eurovision, then why not have the Lebanon or Jordan or Egypt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Augmerson wrote: »
    Looking at the list of previous winners - Israel has won it 3 times.

Israel is not even in Europe. It's not even near Europe, it's in the Middle East in Asia. Atleast you can say Turkey is in Europe (a little part of it) and Russia is in Europe (the western half) but Israel doesn't even touch off a country that is in Europe, wtf like? If Israel are in Eurovision, then why not have the Lebanon or Jordan or Egypt?

They've got enough trouble without looking for more.:eek:

Israel likes trouble, which is why they became members of the European Broadcasting Union, which allows them to take part in the Eurovision Song Contest.

Advertisement