Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox1 Eeprom Disaster

• 12-02-2011 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi

My pride and joy xbox1 is nolonger working and its its my fault

Background: I have an xbox 1.6 with an AK2-SE mod chip which I have never messed with in years. 2 weeks ago I was looking at configmagic and managed to erase my eeprom. From that point the the xbox would startup with a constant green light but no audio/video.

I used an eeprom reader to get the eeprom from another 1.1 xbox and used livecompare to convert it to a 1.6 eeprom. I then used the eeprom reader on my failed xbox to write the eerpom to it. I know this has worked because when I read back the eeprom I see the modified data instead of all 00000s.

In order to connect the eeprom reader I have to remove the AK2-SE chip (but this just sits on the lpc header so I dont think I have broken anything here).

After all of this, the xbox just attempts to boot (green light) twice with a third boot attempt (orange light) before turning off.

I absolutely hate the thought of having to bin this xbox because of my stupidity but I have spent over 20 hours learning about xboxes and getting this far to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Hi

My pride and joy xbox1 is nolonger working and its its my fault

Background: I have an xbox 1.6 with an AK2-SE mod chip which I have never messed with in years. 2 weeks ago I was looking at configmagic and managed to erase my eeprom. From that point the the xbox would startup with a constant green light but no audio/video.

I used an eeprom reader to get the eeprom from another 1.1 xbox and used livecompare to convert it to a 1.6 eeprom. I then used the eeprom reader on my failed xbox to write the eerpom to it. I know this has worked because when I read back the eeprom I see the modified data instead of all 00000s.

In order to connect the eeprom reader I have to remove the AK2-SE chip (but this just sits on the lpc header so I dont think I have broken anything here).

After all of this, the xbox just attempts to boot (green light) twice with a third boot attempt (orange light) before turning off.

I absolutely hate the thought of having to bin this xbox because of my stupidity but I have spent over 20 hours learning about xboxes and getting this far to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Is the HDD in the 1.6 Xbox locked? If it is, the key for it should be sitting (or was) in the eeprom. The eeprom from the 1.1 unit might have a different hdd key so won't turn on. But thinking about it, you should get an error screen.

I messed up my eeprom years ago with a dodge release of a xecuter bios. I had to flash back to an old version which had a built in eeprom due to the bios makeup. That allowed me to write my backup of my eeprom I made with the evolution x dashboard. The backup should be on your hdd (if not locked) in c:

Seems that you can get bios images from many sources/teams with built in eeproms. Just fingers crossed your hdd key isn't lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭iamlegend2008

Hi Kerbdog

Yes, the eeprom from the 1.1 xbox would have a different key but I was hoping the chipped bios would take care of that.

There may be bios's that have eeproms within them but I cant even boot the xbox to flash the bios chip so I dont think that will help.

I left the xbox off for a few hours. Now when i power it up it has a steady green light but no audio/video. When i try to eject, the light flashes but the dvd does not eject :(

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

do you have backup of your eprom.bin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Hi Kerbdog

Yes, the eeprom from the 1.1 xbox would have a different key but I was hoping the chipped bios would take care of that.

There may be bios's that have eeproms within them but I cant even boot the xbox to flash the bios chip so I dont think that will help.

I left the xbox off for a few hours. Now when i power it up it has a steady green light but no audio/video. When i try to eject, the light flashes but the dvd does not eject :(

Thanks

You will prob need to find an alt. bios with a built in eeprom (if possible) that supports a 1.6 xbox

Hi

My mod chip is the Akira2 is a cheap mod with a SSt40 chip on it.

I have another crystal xbox (not 1.6 i believe) with the same mod chip. I took the mod chip from the failed xbox and tried it the crystal xbox and it worked fine.

This leads me to believe the problem is either with the traces on my failed xbox OR a problem with the eeprom/hard disk unlocking (since i copied/converted the eeprom from a 1.1 xbox)

What Im not clear about is whether the eeprom unlocks the hard disk before the mod chip takes over. If this is the case i will definitely have a problem since the copied eeprom contains the key of the hard disk from which it was copied.

I believe that this is purely an eeprom problem rather than a failed chip since the problem appeared immediately after i accidentally erased the eeprom (before i even opened the xbox)

Its even possible that I have an eeprom backup on the hard drive but since I cannot boot the xbox, how would I get hold of it ?

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a 1.6 eeprom in case the liveinfo conversion may be the cause of the problem.

Since I dont see the flubber screen, Im not sure if a bios with a built in eeprom wolid help because it does not seem to get to the mod chip bios stage.

If I need to I can reflash the bios on the mod chip by putting it onto my other xbox. The point is I dont want to add yet more variables into the equation at this stage.

Life aint easy when you screw up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

There is a guy on ebay selling a eeprom reader for the xbox...you could read the eeprom and rebuild the HD with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Arn't there homebrew application that run pc side, to unlock xbox hdd's? If so, you may be able to retrieve any eeprom backup which is present on the disc. I'm not sure about linking to them (if they've got MS SDK stuff in them), but a quick google search should reveal all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I have an eeprom reader.... somewhere....

Pm me at the weekend and Ill have a look for it.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Arn't there homebrew application that run pc side, to unlock xbox hdd's? If so, you may be able to retrieve any eeprom backup which is present on the disc. I'm not sure about linking to them (if they've got MS SDK stuff in them), but a quick google search should reveal all.

Yes there are if there is a backup on the drive.

Hi Guys

Im not sure the eeprom reader will help me directly because I have already used it to copy an eeprom.bin from another xbox into the chip. I know this has worked because when I try and read the eeprom back with the reader I see the new data (and not just all 00000000ssss)

Im stumped at this point to be honest.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys

Im not sure the eeprom reader will help me directly because I have already used it to copy an eeprom.bin from another xbox into the chip. I know this has worked because when I try and read the eeprom back with the reader I see the new data (and not just all 00000000ssss)

Im stumped at this point to be honest.

If you done that then you need to make a new HD from scratch and before making the ISO for the CD place a copy of the eeprom.bin in the E:\eeprom folder and them make the ISO. Use that disk then to create your new HD.

If you need the files and a guide let me know and I will send them to you.

Hi M8

I understand what you are saying but just one question.

The eeprom.bin on the failed contains the hard disk info from the working xbox.
    If I copy the eeprom.bin to xboxhdm, will it update the hard disk key with the drive from the failed xbox when creating a new hd from scratch (option 1) ?

Thanks

Hi iamlegend2008
    You need to use the same eeprom.bin to create the HD as is on the eeprom on the mainboard. That can be any eeprom.bin but you will not be able to have the same one on more than one xbox on your home network as it also includes the MAC address of the xbox and this would cause lots of issues networkwise. So what ever you have on the mainboard use that when creating the hd from scratch.

The xboxhdm_v1.9.zip when extracted it contains everything needed to build a softmodded Xbox hard disk drive. Simply copy your EEPOM.BIN file into the linux\eeprom sub-folder and run the make-iso-win batch file to create a bootable CD for building the HDD. It includes a Xbox Media Centre. Boot your Xbox with the eject button to access the UnleashX menu of boot with the power button to access XBMC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

m8 wrote: »
    Hi iamlegend2008
    You need to use the same eeprom.bin to create the HD as is on the eeprom on the mainboard. That can be any eeprom.bin but you will not be able to have the same one on more than one xbox on your home network as it also includes the MAC address of the xbox and this would cause lots of issues networkwise. So what ever you have on the mainboard use that when creating the hd from scratch.

The xboxhdm_v1.9.zip when extracted it contains everything needed to build a softmodded Xbox hard disk drive. Simply copy your EEPOM.BIN file into the linux\eeprom sub-folder and run the make-iso-win batch file to create a bootable CD for building the HDD. It includes a Xbox Media Centre. Boot your Xbox with the eject button to access the UnleashX menu of boot with the power button to access XBMC.

Knowledgable stuff there, interesting thread. It all sounds like fun! I want a borked Xbox to do all this stuff with, no fair :(:D:D

Hi M8

OK, I have built a new xbox hard drive 41GB IBM. I can unlock the drive and relock it using xboxhdm tools.

But when I put it in the xbox, nothing happens. Still no audio/video with a constant green light (but no eject from the DVD)

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Check the jumper make sure it's on cable select

Hi M8

I had missed that :( Now set to cable select but same result :(

Thanks

Are you getting any splash screen even...if not it sounds like your Bios may be corrupt.

Hi M8

Im not getting any splash screen. I dont think the bios is corrupt because I replaced the Akira mod chip with one from another xbox with the same result.

if u in Dublin pm and I can fix it for u

• Advertisement

Bump:)

Any ideas how to fix it ?

Thanks

Where are you located?

Hi

Im located in London at the moment due to work but I can get my brother in Dublin to send it wherever.

In that case docentore might be your best bet as I'm in Clonmel.

Hi

I have managed to find a backup of my eeprom from the original hard disk.

The problem I have now is that when I try and write the eeprom file to the eeprom, the xbox will not stay on long enough for the write to complete.

I originally tried removing the mod chip so I could access the correct lpc header with the eeprom reader/writer but now Im trying to hold the eeprom reader/writer pins directly against the eeprom.

The problemi s the xbox shuts down pretty quickly so cannot complete the write.

Any help would be appreciated - Thanks

try to feed it with external power. you can use either 5v (ie from USB) or 3.3v (two AA batteries should be sufficient). no need for xbox to be on.

www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/Reading_Xbox_Hdd_key.htm

Had a similar issue with one so I had everything ready to go then powered the xbox before I connected the reader/writer, as soon as I connected I sent the eeprom and just got there after the 2nd try.

Advertisement