Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Strange torrent/DNS issue

• 12-02-2011 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

I was having a lot of problems resolving DNS since I got UPC installed and only realised today the problem is only present when I'm downloading a torrent.

Even a simple nslookup time's out on the command line if a torrent is downloading at the same time.

Actual IP conectivity is fine during the time, just can't resolve DNS names

anyone come across this before? very strange :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Perhaps UPC are shaping traffic based on a particular class group.
    Maybe there are placing DNS and bittorrent in the same class , this would mean that your bittorrent is causing issues for your DNS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

A lot of problems associated with torrents are due to not restricting the uploads. Uploads kill your download capacity and response.

Try restricting the amount of upload slots and speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yep, I'm the same. I can't download torrents at all with any decent speed with UPC even with all uploads turned of . They throttle torrent traffic, I'm convinced of that. Never had that issue with Eircom or Magnet.

Rapid share all the way now, getting my full line download speeds, torrents are useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Yep, I'm the same. I can't download torrents at all with any decent speed with UPC even with all uploads turned of . They throttle torrent traffic, I'm convinced of that. Never had that issue with Eircom or Magnet.

Rapid share all the way now, getting my full line download speeds, torrents are useless.

The speed of the torrents are fine, it's just i can't resolve any DNS while a torrent is active.

I've changed a few settings from the utorrent FAQ and the problem seems to be fixed, i'm not sure which setting helped. I'll go back over it again and re-enable one by one and try and figure out which one is causing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi,

I too am on UPC and originally I was getting very fast download speeds (3-4 months ago) but now they are crawling along at for example 4kbs!!! Speedtest.net confirms I have a download speed of 18.65mb and an upload speed of 0.75mb.

What if anything can I do to fix this? There is little point paying for 20MB broadband if downloads are this slow.

I just disconnected from UPC, connected a Three USB modem and ran Speedtest again confirming a download speed of 2.47mb. Stopped Vuze, restarted and the torrent download speeds are pretty much the same under the Three 3G broadband as they are under the 20mb UPC fibre broadband!!

Could the problem be some sort of firewall setting? I run the full paid for version of AVG Internet Seurity.

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

try logging into your modem and turning off ip flood protection

Hi Colin, sorry to be a pain but how do I log onto my modem and do that?

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

BenEadir wrote: »
    Hi Colin, sorry to be a pain but how do I log onto my modem and do that?

Ben

Copy this into the address bar or your browser.

http://192.168.1.1/

If it asks for a password just click cancel, sometimes it lets me in and other times not. I depends on how the software feels on the day. If it lets me in and I try to set up a new password it ask me for the old one which I don't know and locks me out again until I keep try again with by clicking cancel and I just get back in, pain in the ass it is. I never even set one up in the first place, unless the UPC techy did but he told me he left it blank.

Captain,

Tried that, keep getting "Access to this resource is denied, your client has not supplied the correct authentication." :(

If I can't get into the UPC modem settings am I better off investing in my own modem/router and if so what do you guys recommend?

Ben

try going to internet options>security>custom level> right down the bottom is user authentication>logon. if its on "anonymous logon" change to "prompt for username and password". this might help to log into modem

• Advertisement

try going to internet options>security>custom level> right down the bottom is user authentication>logon. if its on "anonymous logon" change to "prompt for username and password". this might help to log into modem

Colin, what application are these settings in? IE?? I use Firefox.

Ben

yeah this is for ie but im sure its similar for firefox. i've never had that problem i just googled "access to this resource...etc" and this is what i found

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Chengo

Suggestion was spot on. You have to log into your modem. Then go to Setup-Firewall-Options and untick IP Flood Detection.

If you haven't changed your modem/router password then default is blank.
    (and I was about to ring UPC to give out:))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Brilliant, I was having the same problem as the OP. Basically no websites loading while using torrents. Turned off IP Flood Protection and its all good now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Brilliant, I was having the same problem as the OP. Basically no websites loading while using torrents. Turned off IP Flood Protection and its all good now :)

I lowered the half-open connection in advanced settings and it seems to have done the job too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Thanks for that tip. Internet working well again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

i would say its more about the limited tcp connections with windows. Is your computer windows xp, vista or 7?

also change your dns server to opendns servers:

edit: delayed reaction sorry :) I didn't read the full thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭justforgroups

Hi,
    Does UPC use phone splitters? They keep breaking down on me and main reason I want to switch from Eircom.

Would like to switch from Eircom's 8MB to UPC's 10MB. Same €25/month but router is €50 extra. Is the router good - is it wireless?

Have the TV with UPC already and keeping Eircom landline. This possible?

Thanks!

UPC comes in via cable, ie the same connection the tv uses, not a phone line

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭justforgroups

UPC comes in via cable, ie the same connection the tv uses, not a phone line
    Cool, but it still requires a modem. Have UPC customers found it to be any good? They don't seem to say whether it's wireless or not. Have already gotten thru' 3 of Eircom's :-(

• Advertisement

If you're not getting a phone package off them then you should get their base modem and a plug in netgear router I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

You get a wireless router (cisco) if you pick 20-100mbit.
    Non-wireless if you order 10 or lower.

Advertisement