Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which GPS?

Options
  • 12-02-2011 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi

There lots of brands and type of GPS on the market.
    Can I ask some opinions of which brands to go for and to avoid please.

I'd need one which includes Europe as well as Ireland and UK.

thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Same answer as always stick with Garmin or TomTom and you won't go far wrong. They have the most regular updates or software & maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭championc

I swear by Navigon. I think it's the only software where you can decide on the vehicle speed so you get a more accurate time of arrival based on the way you drive. I select "Slow Car" and so, if I get there 10 mins quicker than expected, well and good.

Most GPS's calculate the trip based on the speed limits so you need to drive on the limit to get to your destination at the time it originally said.

Additionally, I got Q1 2011 maps for the whole of Europe yesterday for my Navigon. I have both a fixed unit and also have it on my PDA

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

IQ routes would be far more accurate than the method your mentioning.
    They are based on historical data of previous journeys at the same time by other users.

I wasn't aware of that. Which GPS providers have this functionality ? I wouldn't mind giving one a try out. I'd need one which works on Windows Mobile.

All Tom tom devices use it.I have not heard of any applications for Windows mobile as of yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

championc wrote: »
    Most GPS's calculate the trip based on the speed limits so you need to drive on the limit to get to your destination at the time it originally said.

I'm using Garmin, 610 & 1490 and my time changes, I can see the time extending when I am stuck behind a slow tractor and see it shortening again as I speed up past it.

gbee wrote: »
    I'm using Garmin, 610 & 1490 and my time changes, I can see the time extending when I am stuck behind a slow tractor and see it shortening again as I speed up past it.

They all do that - that's what they're for. The next time you plan a route (one over open roads), note the destination time the system says you should arrive at your destination and then see how well you do. If you drive a bit below the speed limit, my guess is that you'll never arrive at the destination by the time the system originally told you it would get you there for. Or if you get a good clear run and drive right on the speed limit, you might gain just a minute or two but not much more. So if you then got held up by some lorry, you'd never manage to get back the lost time.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭kirving

Pretty much all of them base their arrival times on a mix of speed limits and current average speed driving. When the average speed increases, the journey time will drop. Some are more advanced than others(accounting for previous journey times, etc), but any decent one will give an allowance as they know you wont be on the limit constantly.

Not like it makes much of a difference anyway, since it doesn't make you arrive any quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

championc wrote: »
    So if you then got held up by some lorry, you'd never manage to get back the lost time. C

I must be confusing something, I do seem to make up the time [sometimes], I've found the ETA quite good, we use it quite a bit as we meet people on the road to deliver goods to and we can inform them as we slip and if we lose ten minute due to road works, we arrive ten minutes later.

So I don't understand your point by using the stating ETA, rather I understand the point that the unit uses the average speed and is calculated on this to reach an ETA but then it changes that as one is faster or slower ~ which is exactly what I want anyway ~ and I do find it accurate for my needs.

If I'm making too much time I will drive slower or take the scenic route or just stop to take a photo or buy ice cream.

As far as I am concerned, the initial ETA does not take account of traffic, for me that's typically one hour to get out of town so I don't firm appointments until I'm on the open road.

Every GPS will update it's ETA as you go along. If you lose 10 mins at roadworks or in a traffic jam, the ETA will be added to as you're standing still.

So back to my point. Suppose I live in Southside Dublin and want to go to Skerries and I want to get there for 11am, I need to then know what time to leave from home. Many GPS's will use the speed limits of the roads of the route it plans for you and might tell you you should do this in say 50 mins. Yes, you might indeed to it in 50 mins at 05:00 on a Sunday morning but try doing it midweek and mid-morning !!

So a good GPS will advise you that the route should maybe take 70 mins. Fine, if you are indeed driving at 05:00 on a Sunday morning or get a really clear good run, you'll arrive 20 mins early - so what, yipee. And if the journey took 75 mins, you'll be 5 mins late. But if the GPS that says the trip is 50 mins, this could potentially have you arriving 20 - 30 mins late.

So Navigon has three car profile modes, a Slow, Medium or Fast Car and for the example above, it would give results like 70, 60 and 50 mins. There is also a Lorry profile and that uses slower speeds on motorways and dual carriages.

And to explain it further, I recently travelled from Dublin to Omagh for a Dental Appointment. That trip is over 2 hours. I HAD to be there for the appointment time. I didn't need to drive like a maniac and I arrived within 5 minutes of the time it told me I would arrive, when setting off from Dublin.

Hope this explains things better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭leonil7

any satnav would do + google maps.
    be sure to pick a unit able to handle 'coordinate entry'
    my preference is the Garmin unit. cost < 100€.

Advertisement