Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hack PS3?

Options
  • 12-02-2011 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

HI guys, Im seriously thinking of buying a PS3 but am wondering how difficult it is to hack? Im relatively new to this and was just wondering whats the best way of doing it to a PS3 just out of the box.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

If by 'hack', you mean install homebrew applications etc, then you would have to install custom firmware. It's as easy as upgrading the official firmware, which you just download & place on a usb stick.

It's probably the easiest current gen console to exploit currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭rory16

And what would that allow me to do exactly?

rory16 wrote: »
    And what would that allow me to do exactly?

You can install Linux, emulators, file managers, upgrade/downgrade firmware at will (as far as 3.55 only), and all the other things you've come to expect from exploited consoles.

Linux the OS? And what about PSN?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Linux the OS? And what about PSN?

You can't have your cake and eat it too unfortunately. Either install CFW or use PSN, your choice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

CFW or PSN, you can't have both.

There is a new method of accessing PSN, but it's much more of a real hack (spoof using fakesigned ssl certs), than the old proxy/dns workaround so for now I won't go into it. I wouldn't expect it to last anyway, as the new PSN login authentication checks will undoubtadly spring into use soon.

Tman is right, for the most part it's choose homebrew or choose multiplayer. They don't tend to mix well.

CFW all the way. So its basically that simple to hack the PS3? Update to the newest FW and do he USB? And then I will have all the benefits of a hacked console?

Pretty much yeah.

Nothing to it really.

CFW all the way. So its basically that simple to hack the PS3? Update to the newest FW and do he USB? And then I will have all the benefits of a hacked console?

No the newest firmware is 3.56 which introduced new keys, & prevents homebrew currently. You'll need firmware 3.55 or less in order to run homebrew code.

• Advertisement

So If i was to buy one from a shop tomorrow what would be the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

now is probably last chance to get one pre 3.56, dont upgrade firmware when you get it. Doubtful that it would be on 3.56 but you never know.

So If i was to buy one from a shop tomorrow what would be the story?
    I doubt it'd be on 3.41 let alone 3.56 so you're ok.

I'd say it'll be another little while yet before we see 3.56 in the shops, don't wait too long though :)

How long do you think I have? And just on another not, I already have a hacked xbox 360 but it seems the PS3 is far more versatile?

Okay I did it, got the PS3 and its 3.50. So what exactly do I do to hack it? Remember i know little or nothing about this subject. Thanks for all your help guys :)

Okay I did it, got the PS3 and its 3.50. So what exactly do I do to hack it? Remember i know little or nothing about this subject. Thanks for all your help guys :)

There's a locked thread which detailed someone installing cfw 3.55, have a look at that.

Edit -here it is http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056156310

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

EnterNow wrote: »
    You can install Linux......

Really? Is "Other OS" back with a certain hack? I didn't think this was possible with recent firmware revisions, JB or not.

Thank you :D
    Can iconnect to the internet without getting caught by Sony? Im not talkin about PSN like, or should I stop it from connecting all together.

Thank you :D
    Can iconnect to the internet without getting caught by Sony? Im not talkin about PSN like, or should I stop it from connecting all together.

Also, What about back up managers?

PSN or not, the PS3 always seems to phone home with info about your network etc. So it's best to block the block access to the internet on the ps3 altogether.

Backup managers are the reason the thread was locked.

Azzeretti - there's a few ways of getting Linux installed. Kepp your eyes on the scene sites for recent developments, OtherOS isn't quite back yet, but they've gone one better anyway :)

• Advertisement

Okay I've tried updating in recovery mode, and it says its updating, then its gets to 100%, reboots and goes through the official update 3.50. What am I doing wrong? Im going form 3.50 to 3.55 by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Okay I've tried updating in recovery mode, and it says its updating, then its gets to 100%, reboots and goes through the official update 3.50. What am I doing wrong? Im going form 3.50 to 3.55 by the way

Are you going to the official 3.55 update first? You should download the official 3.55 update, run that, then run the patched version.

Is that what you're doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

The essayist tutorials iv used and seen to do any of this is a guy call christechtv.Hes easy to follow and straight forward.Have a look for him on youtube.

Step 1 in the thread is to go to official 3.55, why are you using the recovery menu to do this?

Okay so how do I upgrade to 3.55 offically?

Okay so how do I upgrade to 3.55 offically?

This has been covered again and again, have you used the search function on the site? It's also detailed on Sony's playstation firmware page. As well as in the thread I linked you to. Please read that thread in its entirety, it has everything covered.

Advertisement