Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal -v- Barça, Champions league Last 16 1st leg

• 12-02-2011 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

UEFA Champions League
    th_602-16.pngVSth_1708-15.png
    Emirates stadium
    Wednesday, 16 February 2011
    7:45pm (ITV 1HD, RTÉ Two)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Arse-rape.

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Serioulsy looking forward to this one. I think Arsenal could sneak a win here. Barca can blow hot and cold when away from home and Arsenal have the ability to win. Over the two legs Barca should advance. It could be a very open game but I do think a home victory is a possibility, a slim one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I actually fear for Arsenal in this one. I think the Barca could hit 7 over 2 legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Expect more from the Gunners this time. In fairness to them they were without RVP for both games and Fabregas in the second leg. Players like that missing any team would struggle to replace. Probably the only team Barça will play in this seasons competition who will actually try and take them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Last time we had silvestre playing in defence so that didnt help :pac: Still think arsenal will be outdone by messi again though, hes just too good.

• Advertisement

Cannot see an Arsenal win at all. Hope it's not +2 goals, but the league definitely seems to be the priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Draw.

Barcelona will win the 2nd leg and go through, but best of luck to Arsenal. I'd like to see them do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Great to have the RTE panel back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Its a shame Andy Gray isnt on tv anymore (i cant believe i said that) Would love to hear his reaction to when Barca destroy them. Arsenal are probably my favourite EPL team but im hoping for a pumpfest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Pauleta wrote: »
    Its a shame Andy Gray isnt on tv anymore (i cant believe i said that) Would love to hear his reaction to when Barca destroy them. Arsenal are probably my favourite EPL team but im hoping for a pumpfest.

"Destroy them"? Not going to happen, bar Vermaelen, Arsenal have a nearly fully fit side this time around, it'll be close imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

1-1 against Gijon.

A timely reminder that they don't simply have to turn up to beat teams or a dent in their confidence?

The former, i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah its going to seriously dent your confidence to win 16 and then draw 1 game.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    1-1 against Gijon.

A timely reminder that they don't simply have to turn up to beat teams or a dent in their confidence?

The former, i think.

Gijon put in a gruelling defensive display tonight, Arsenal won't do that. I hope we can press them as much as we did United & Chelsea earlier in the season though!

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah its going to seriously dent your confidence to win 16 and then draw 1 game.:pac:

Hence why i went with the former. But there is a big difference between Gijon and Arsenal.

L'prof wrote: »
    Gijon put in a gruelling defensive display tonight, Arsenal won't do that. I hope we can press them as much as we did United & Chelsea earlier in the season though!

Yeah thats the thing.

Arsenal wont be playing to defend.

Will be a totally different game.

Busquets cant return quick enough :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

love arsenal but...this is not going to end well for us :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Would rest some players for the CC final tbh. I ain't too bothered about this tie. Just hope we don't get beat 4-5 nil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Would rest some players for the CC final tbh. I ain't too bothered about this tie. Just hope we don't get beat 4-5 nil.

Well that's more likely to happen if we rest players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Any Arsenal fans who think we might lose by 4 or 5 needs to cop on, we are in a far better state than the tie last year, RVP fit, Fabregas fit, Walcott a much better player, Wilshere a fine player, Big Al out of goal and Djourou and Koscielny looks better than a half fit Gallas and Silvestre last year.

greendom wrote: »
    Well that's more likely to happen if we rest players
    Not really. They might go for it and do something.

• Advertisement

peabutler wrote: »
    Any Arsenal fans who think we might lose by 4 or 5 needs to cop on, we are in a far better state than the tie last year, RVP fit, Fabregas fit, Walcott a much better player, Wilshere a fine player, Big Al out of goal and Djourou and Koscielny looks better than a half fit Gallas and Silvestre last year.

Replace Keita and Ibrahimovic with Iniesta and Villa and both teams look stronger this time around.

Walcott vs Maxwell will be crucial

as willl

EBOUE vs messi :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Any Arsenal fan who doesn't think it's possible to get beat 4-5 nil, would would want to take a good hard look at the El Classico earlier this season.

If they can do it to Madrid, they can do it to Arsenal.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Any Arsenal fan who doesn't think it's possible to get beat 4-5 nil, would would want to take a good hard look at the El Classico earlier this season.

At home i'm full sure we won't get beat by 4 or 5, It would never even cross my mind, this Barca team is great and is a better team than Arsenal but they have weaknesses and some of our main strengths are in areas were they are weak, I honestly believe Walcott could have Maxwell a few times if Fabregas can slip a good ball through and I honestly believe Van Persie will get the chance to score at home vs Pique and Abidal at the centre of the defense, I have no doubt Barca will get a lot of chances probabaly more than Arsenal but I'd be shocked if we lost by 4 or 5 it's more likely to be 4-2 than 4-0 and even at that I hope we play well enough to beat them in another cracking game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

You've got to stay positive. Id be very surprised If Barca keep us scoreless but Id be shocked if we keep them scoreless. Saying that, I genuinely think we can beat them at the emirates If we play to our best and take the chances when they come but they will be too strong for us at the Camp Nou.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

gimmick wrote: »
    I actually fear for Arsenal in this one. I think the Barca could hit 7 over 2 legs.

That sounds familiar.Didn't someone say that when Arsenal went to Madrid in 2006?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bookie basher

Arsenal have to win by 2 clear goals in the emirates to have any chance in the return leg, they might get some joy with walcotts pace against barcas high line but i think their defence will be taken apart & their midfield will get no time on the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Barca can blow hot and cold when away from home and Arsenal have the ability to win

Fair enough about the rest of your post, but this is just wrong. Tonight is the first time they've dropped any points in the league away from home? Barcelona away form this season has been formidable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Its football, anything can happen. C'mon the Gunners!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Arsenal will be starved of possession in both legs and they are not good enough defensively to withstand the incessant waves of attacks that Barca will mount.
    Puyol is a huge loss for Barca at the back though ,his understudy Milito is playing poorly and is clumsy and slow.
    Against a pacey Arsenal attack he could be exploited .
    The first leg could be a tight affair but over the two legs Barca will easily win ,they are just too good and Arsenal will be found wanting.

The only way to get a result against this Barca side is to defend en masse ,with 10 men behind the ball at most times and hope to nick something on the break or from a setpiece.
    Arsenal are not setup to do that and any team that tries to come out and out football Barca will be cruelly exposed.

Arsenal will be starved of possession in both legs and they are not good enough defensively to withstand the incessant waves of attacks that Barca will mount.
    Puyol is a huge loss for Barca at the back though ,his understudy Milito is playing poorly and is clumsy and slow.
    Against a pacey Arsenal attack he could be exploited .
    The first leg could be a tight affair but over the two legs Barca will easily win ,they are just too good and Arsenal will be found wanting.

The only way to get a result against this Barca side is to defend en masse ,with 10 men behind the ball at most times and hope to nick something on the break or from a setpiece.
    Arsenal are not setup to do that and any team that tries to come out and out football Barca will be cruelly exposed.

I dont expect Milito to be taking part.

I reckon Abidal to partner Pique at CB and Maxwell to play LB.

Could be wrong but thats how I see it.

I see it going something like this:

Valdes

Pique
    Abidal

Alves
    Maxwell

Busquets

Xavi

Iniesta

Messi

Pedrito
    Villa

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Great to have the RTE panel back.

Arsenal on RTE :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'd give Arsenal a fighting chance.

Barca should win but you never know.

Arsenals style suits Barca though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Its football, anything can happen. C'mon the Gunners!

Thats the spirit my friend we are in a much better and more mature state than last year and im sure we will have a right go at them.
    I cant believe the BS and negativity from some people here going on that we will be beaten 4/5 nil,what aload of tripe!
    Were stil one of the best teams in the world and have done well in this competition over the last 10 yrs.

Cmon da gooners!

• Advertisement

The folk that are so confident about Arsenal getting beat by 5 or 6 goals should put plenty of cash on Barca. Currently 1/4 to qualify.

Put your money where your mouth is etc...

Walcott vs Maxwell will be crucial

as willl

EBOUE vs messi :D

Except Eboue won't play - what season have you been watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Except Eboue won't play - what season have you been watching?

Sagnas suspended for the first leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Colinboy wrote: »
    I cant believe the BS and negativity from some people here going on that we will be beaten 4/5 nil,what aload of tripe!
    Were stil one of the best teams in the world and have done well in this competition over the last 10 yrs.

It is not negativity,it is harsh reality,Barca are probably the greatest players and team of the last 10 years,will most likely not see a team like them for a very very long time.
    Arsenal have it all to do,4/5 over two legs is a fair statement to make on the tie given the force Barca have.

To say Arsenal are one of the best teams in the world is just wrong and wrong and wrong.
    The best teams in the world win honours year in year out,Arsenal are not a team of winnners yet,they are a nearly team until they take that step forward and become winners.

shano_88 wrote: »
    Sagnas suspended for the first leg.

Oh my. Apologies Peabutler - should be plenty of goals so, from both ends at least

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The folk that are so confident about Arsenal getting beat by 5 or 6 goals should put plenty of cash on Barca. Currently 1/4 to qualify.

Put your money where your mouth is etc...

Gambled my house on it as NAMA are taking it anyway

I cannot believe what i am reading.........

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bookie basher

arsenal were never going to win the cl this season so by getting knocked out early they can concentrate fully on the premier league, i know that sounds like a defeatist attitude but come on were they ever going to win the cl this season?

arsenal were never going to win the cl this season so by getting knocked out early they can concentrate fully on the premier league, i know that sounds like a defeatist attitude but come on were they ever going to win the cl this season?

Still to hear a fan say he is not bothered by a tie of this magnitude is just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Arsenal have nothing to lose here, and are a much more complete team now than they were last year. I'm pessimistically confident.

dahat wrote: »
    Still to hear a fan say he is not bothered by a tie of this magnitude is just wrong.

I want to see a good game and I'll be supporting them. But on a priority list, I would put the CC final and the league ahead of it tbh!

If Barca do a manita in one of the two games I will leave the soccer forum :rolleyes:

dahat wrote: »
    I cannot believe what i am reading.........
    What? Just being honest?

Look, we either give it everything and run ourselves into the ground, pick up potential injuries and be exhausted for the cup final or we rotate and play it smart.

They are favourites by some distance. So we should play it smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Nasri should not be anywhere near the team, fear of injury is just too often with our players.

It 2-2 last year with no RVP. RVP is now on a hot streak and wants to win with Arsenal against a weakened Barca defense.

We also have a steady CB partner ship at the moment. Walcott in the form of his life and Cesc consistent as ever.

Much better chance than last year that's for sure. I'd still take a Draw and set up a juicy second leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

What? Just being honest?

Look, we either give it everything and run ourselves into the ground, pick up potential injuries and be exhausted for the cup final or we rotate and play it smart.

They are favourites by some distance. So we should play it smart.

The Cup final is not till the end of the month. We are away at Orient next week. Our best players should surely be playing in the CL and rested for the Brisbane Road tie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement